Is this an appropriate response from a government teacher?

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#301  Edited By SumDeus
@Twitchey: I agree with you. The pledge does not represent modern America. The way I see it though...not saying it doesn't say to everyone "THE PLEDGE IS WRONG FOR THIS REASON _____", it seems like you're saying "I don't give a shit about anything this country stands for". Even if you don't agree with modern American "ideals", like me, I feel like the pledge shows respect for the original intention of the country.
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#302  Edited By VisariLoyalist

adults are children 

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#303  Edited By danimal_furry
@FancySoapsMan said:

don't be a dick and stand up for the pledge

This.

Edit: Not that you have to stand, but you are clearly doing something different to draw attention as a form of protest. Don't be surprised when you get a response, be it a civil one or an angry response. She has a right to be angry at you and you have a right to be a dick about it.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By danimal_furry
@Meowshi said:
I've always felt weird reciting the pledge during the local pro-wrestling shows in my town.  It's sort of a silly occasion to get all patriotic.

Did you ever see when the Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff were the baddies? It's totally the patriotic occasion. :)
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#305  Edited By ch3burashka

Bitch is as bitch does. 

I still stood for the flag, but stopped doing the pledge almost immediately, what with us looking like religious fanatics, chanting daily. It's goddamn retarded and completely unnecessary. Once a week would be alright. Once a day is pushing it.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#306  Edited By Example1013
@pewpewlazer said:
@example1013 said:
@pewpewlazer said:
While she's being ignorant by enforcing America's beliefs on you. You should at least have a level of respect for the country and the soldiers that actually uphold it's pledge so you have a high school to attend and be an immature brat about not appreciating it. 

Like you said it's not you're choice you were born here. 

It's not some poor African kid's choice he's raised in a Libyan conflict, is given an AK when he's 9 years old, or die of starvation, but all you have to do is stand up for a shitty patriotic theme song. 

You were both wrong.
This is retarded. Do you really think that those soldiers are fighting to protect freedom of expression just for everyone to turn around and make such an action socially unacceptable? If someone consciously decides to fight for the right to disagree, I'd think that person would prefer vocal disagreement over silence in supposed respect. The idea that you have to obey everyone else to show your love for freedom of expression is nonsensical and hypocritical.

Do none of you who are claiming the OP to be wrong actually even understand the argument you're making?
Over the course of this thread I think you've sort of liquidated all of your arguments by showing how ignorant and aggressive you are at proving your point.

Like a 13 year old kid you ignore other people's points to get yours across, I surely hope you are 13 otherwise I feel really bad for you and whatever friends still stick around to put up with you.

You need to re-read my post before you make a response, the point is they were both wrong and so were you (That makes three stupid people now). Not about not standing up at the pledge but philosophically, if you can grasp this yet.
I don't give a fuck about the morality and respect issue. If someone is in the wrong for violating your code of respect, good on them. You're allowed to think that. I'll disagree with you. It doesn't matter whether or not he's being immature in this situation. He's 13. He's allowed to be immature once in a while. Also, the soldiers in our military have pledged their lives to upholding the Constitution of the United States and the freedoms of its citizens, not some stupid pledge. What point am I ignoring? You've said that this is disrespectful to soldiers, and I'm saying that it's not in any way disrespectful to them. Marching around outside of cemetaries holding up "God Wanted You Dead" signs is disrespectful to soldiers. Calling soldiers mercenaries or thugs is disrespectful to them, because they're low-paid volunteers (compared to government contractors). Tons of things are disrespectful to soldiers. But are you really going to sit there and tell me that not standing up while people recite an oath of loyalty to the country is disrespectful? The pledge isn't, and has never been, about the soldiers. Memorial Day is about the soldiers. Veterans' Day is about the soldiers. Arlington is about the soldiers. The cemetary in France is about the soldiers. Taps is usually about the soldiers. Those are places and times of respect. To act belligerent at those places, or during those times, would be disrespectful to the soldiers. He has done none of those.

And while I'll admit that I have flamed certain people within this thread, it's been to make a point (specifically, the first guy I flamed was being stupid by flaming the OP, so I flamed him in a similar manner; I had planned on pointing out during my rebuttal of his response to me that I had unfairly done to him what he had unfairly done to the OP, but he stopped responding).
Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Don't stand for the pledge if you don't want to, but don't be a dick about it either. A healthy balance!

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#308  Edited By one_2nd

You're a douche. I'm with the teacher on this one. If you hate it so much gtfo. 

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It strikes me as bizarre that our general consensus of places like North Korea is negative, seemingly based on strange acts of nationalism and ritual, yet when we do it, it's all well and good.

I wouldn't say the pledge. I would probably stand up, simply to avoid conflict. But I don't think that anyone here can tell you that you should have stood up. 

If the thought of someone not standing up for the recital of a poem makes you threaten them with this "get the fuck out!" talk, then you have way too much fucking free time in your life.
Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#310  Edited By Creigz

She is very, very out of place. You are also somewhat, but believe me, it is not enough to condone her actions, or even actions of someone getting upset with you over it. You live in America, customs are important when being in any country, but some things you just don't have to do.

Now, I do feel it's a bit strange to say the pledge EVERY day. I feel that is exceptionally excessive. Once a week, sure, once a month, hell I'll do it, and I'm Canadian. 

Go over her head, she's a blinded immature woman...and you're clearly firm in your beliefs, so is she, but I'll bet she goes to church, and pushes Christ on other religions. If she doesn't go to church, then she must hate america by her logic since the country was founded as a Christian nation.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By ryanwho
@DetectiveSpecial said:
It strikes me as bizarre that our general consensus of places like North Korea is negative, seemingly based on strange acts of nationalism and ritual, yet when we do it, it's all well and good.
I wouldn't say the pledge. I would probably stand up, simply to avoid conflict. But I don't think that anyone here can tell you that you should have stood up. 

If the thought of someone not standing up for the recital of a poem makes you threaten them with this "get the fuck out!" talk, then you have way too much fucking free time in your life.
Yeah, this teacher should spend less time confronting her bitch students and more time reciting out of the syllabus. Cus clearly this OP fool didn't learn anything from it.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Twitchey: Sounds like you should stop being a snobby dick. Have some respect. 

EDIT: As for not standing, that isn't a problem, she shouldn't have interrogated you for you not standing, but I sounds to me you are the kind of person I don't care when I see teachers yelling at them.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sins_of_mosin said:
Uh, she isn't a government employee, shes a employee of a public school which gets funding from state and federal agencies but is not part of any government.  So right there I think you are wrong in your thinking.And unless your a citizen of another country, not standing up for something as basic as a pledge makes you one of those kids who tries to be different by doing the dumbest things possible.  And by making a thread like this, it really does help mark you as an attention whore.
Teachers in public schools are government employees. Saving you from future embarrassment. 
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By tunaburn

i cant for the life of me figure out why you wouldnt at least stand up. it has to be partially becuase you are to young to really understand how lucky you are to be born here. and how many people have fought and died to make sure you have those freedoms. i disagree with a shitload of stuff we do here in america. i guarantee whatever you think is wrong with our country is the same everywhere. the grass isnt always greener.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Example1013
@tunaburn said:
i cant for the life of me figure out why you wouldnt at least stand up. it has to be partially becuase you are to young to really understand how lucky you are to be born here. and how many people have fought and died to make sure you have those freedoms. i disagree with a shitload of stuff we do here in america. i guarantee whatever you think is wrong with our country is the same everywhere. the grass isnt always greener.
You mean like all of the adults who don't feel it's appropriate to even have the pledge in the first place? We have the luxury of not having to even be involved at all with an oath of loyalty to a nation, which isn't even always a clearly defined organization in the first place. I should think the enjoyment of that right would come before any sort of "respect for people who have fought". An oath of loyalty isn't the equivalent of a show of respect for the sacrifice of others. If someone wants to demonstrate respect for what our veterans and founders did, they can start by thinking for themselves. They can also take the time to hold in memorial those who have made such sacrifices, similar to what we do as a nation on May 31st. They could visit Arlington National Cemetary, Gettysburg, or any of the monuments dedicated to those who have served us, often with the ultimate price being paid.

Those soldiers didn't die so that a few belligerent teenagers could be pressured into lockstep with the rest of their peers, and using those who have died in the name of this country as some sort of leverage to try and make people stand during and oath to government is disrespectful to their memories, and their sacrifice.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#316  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Creigz said:
She is very, very out of place. You are also somewhat, but believe me, it is not enough to condone her actions, or even actions of someone getting upset with you over it. You live in America, customs are important when being in any country, but some things you just don't have to do.

Now, I do feel it's a bit strange to say the pledge EVERY day. I feel that is exceptionally excessive. Once a week, sure, once a month, hell I'll do it, and I'm Canadian. 

Go over her head, she's a blinded immature woman...and you're clearly firm in your beliefs, so is she, but I'll bet she goes to church, and pushes Christ on other religions. If she doesn't go to church, then she must hate america by her logic since the country was founded as a Christian nation.
<_<
>_>

It was not founded as a Christian nation....

It has Christian fundamentals, sure why not...but it being secular was a major point for the founding fathers...Thomas Jefferson was a fucking Deist.

In the Treaty of Tripoli John Adams explicitly said we were not a Christian nation.

The Anti-Federalists who wanted a theocracy and more Christian influence were more or less bulldozed over by Madison and company.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By ryanwho

TJ wrote the secular bible, fucking fucks. That's the bible minus the magic. That denotes a respect for certain principles found in the book, not a devotion to the miraculous shit taken out. Christian nation he says, get outta here widdat shit.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By npeterson08
@Twitchey said:
@benjaebe: I'm dead serious this is how the conversation went. I live in Texas, so not only did I not stand for the United States pledge, I did not stand for the Texas pledge, so she must have been double pissed.
Texas has a pledge? That's...Well, okay.

Anyway, she's an idiot. Let her live  her terrible life as a substitute teacher.
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By tunaburn
@example1013:  standing for the pledge is the same as standing for a lady when she leaves the table.  or for the judge when he enters the court. i didnt say he should say the pledge. or take an oath as you are putting it. Im saying just because you have the freedom (which again many people died to give you) doesnt mean you have to use it. its respectful for all the people involved just to stand. pick your nose or scratch your ass but stand up.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By Doctorchimp
@ryanwho said:
TJ wrote the secular bible, fucking fucks. That's the bible minus the magic. That denotes a respect for certain principles found in the book, not a devotion to the miraculous shit taken out. Christian nation he says, get outta here widdat shit.
I just always find it funny on the internet when everyone goes "HAHA USA" but it's like they don't even know the first thing...
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By Example1013
@tunaburn: It's not the same. Standing for a lady or a judge denotes respect for the judge or the lady. It doesn't denote respect for the judicial system as a whole, or respect for all women as a whole. It's a sign of respect to the object you're standing for. Thus standing for the pledge denotes respect for the pledge. The pledge doesn't even mention soldiers, so how can standing denote respect for soldiers, except for the fact that many people have artificially applied that meaning to the act? Standing in and of itself means nothing except when it's given meaning, and it's only given the meaning of respect by people who think it's respectful. Which, in this case, isn't even enough people to make it have meaning in a cultural or societal context.

I could easily say that it denotes respect for the President, as he's the figurehead of the Republic that is mentioned in the thread. It would actually make more sense to say that standing is out of respect for the President. Your reason for justifying why it's respectful is "because it is", apparently. If not, please feel free to correct me, but that's what I've taken from this debate.
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By tunaburn
@example1013:  "and to the republic for which it stands" thats what you are showing respect for. and also there might be kids in the class who has family that died in the war. its just common courtesy.
people like you just like to stir shit up. im done arguing with you. i hope you live in a different country. and when and if shit hits the fan i hope they dont show any respect or care about you at all either. good day sir.
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By Zithe
@tunaburn said:
Im saying just because you have the freedom (which again many people died to give you) doesnt mean you have to use it.
That goes both ways. We are free to do whatever we want. If he wants to sit, he can sit. Why would anyone else even care?
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By tunaburn
@npeterson08: yes texas has a pledge. before texas was a state it was its own country. it defeated mexico and then became a state. they still say the texas pledge. (i grew up there.)
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325  Edited By tunaburn
@Zithe:  it does go both ways. thats not the issue. but you cant cry like a baby when people get upset about your decisions while using your freedom. some people (like me for instance) have friends and family that died in iraq and it can ease the pain to at least feel liek they died for something and that other people care.
well im going to sleep. good night
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By Patman99
@FancySoapsMan said:
This. I from Canada but when I was in high school, our band program frequently took trips down to the US for jazz festivals and such. Pretty much every trip we would sleep/live on the band room floor of a host high school. We would normally clean up the room before school even started there but the odd time we got stuck in when they said the pledge of allegiance (usually right when the bell rang). I personally am not American nor do I have any relatives from the US but I (and everyone from my Canadian school) would stand up for the pledge. Did we put our hand over our heart, no, did we mouth the words, of course not, but we certainly showed respect for that countries customs. You should as well, even more because you are an American. It was not right for the teacher to antagonize you like that but you should show respect for your fellow classmates and country even if you are not a "fan."
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By Example1013
@tunaburn: The Republic is the government. Thus you stand in respect for the government. There's no reason to owe blind respect to the government. Soldiers are in the employ of the government, but they're not the government. They're people. Thus showing respect to the government isn't the same thing as showing respect to people who work for the government.

You obviously don't know shit about me. I've marched in local Memorial Day parades for the last 8 years. I've visited Arlington National Cemetary multiple times to pay my respects to the fallen troops, including standing in silent respect as taps was played in the evening. I've visited the American cemetary in France and paid my respects to the soldiers buried there. Again, I stood in silence during taps out of respect for their sacrifice. I have nothing but respect for the men and women in uniform. That utmost respect, however, doesn't extend to the government, nor should it. The government isn't out there fighting for our freedom, our soldiers are. The Republic isn't trying to maintain our safety. Government seeks to screw over the people whenever possible, unless it's held beholden to those people at every opportunity. The government should be loyal and respectful to me, not the other way around.

I'm also arguing for  freedom of speech because they sacrificed so much in order for me to be able to do just that. When I was younger I used to stand for the Pledge blindly, because everyone else did it. That's disrespectful to the ideals this nation was built on. I owe no blind allegiance to the government, and to act without being informed is stupid and violates the very freedoms those soldiers fought to earn for me. Stop twisting the issue. The Pledge of Allegiance is an oath of loyalty to the United States government, not a memorial to the fallen soldiers. The moment of silence is a memorial to those who have given our lives, and that should be respected at all costs. The Pledge itself? Not so much.
ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#328  Edited By ssj4raditz

I think both parties should've used better judgement in that situation. OP should have used a little better discernment and recognized that, being in a new environment where the persons around him didn't know his practices, that might cause some ruckus. He might have, just for that one time, stood up, so as not to draw attention to himself. Not saying that he could have know the teacher's reaction, just that in new surroundings, it could've been better to not be as noticed. In his original class, with the regular teacher, I'm sure that his not standing doesn't cause a problem, because it's a regular occurrence and his classmates and teacher know why.
Also, that teacher should not have confronted him in front of the entire class. If she had an issue with was he did (or, in this case did not) do, don't make a spectacle. She could have wait until class was finished, and ask - politely - why he didn't stand for the pledge(s). And then, OP could have explained himself, and that would have been that, because the next day it probably would be back to his regular classroom. Done deal.
Just sayin', everyone needs to pause and think about how your action (or inaction) will affect the situation. Not gonna pass judgement, just pointing out what could have been done to avoid a volatile deal.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By Zithe
@tunaburn: If you are gone by the time this post goes up, that's fine. I'm not looking to get into an argument here. Just want to put my two cents in for your consideration.

If people do not exercise the rights and freedoms they are given, the things your loved ones fight and die to protect, then what purpose do they serve? It just feels a bit like you are saying "Sure, you're free to do as you please, as long as you do this thing that I prefer." The freedoms are there and are being protected by our soldiers for situations like the one in this very thread.

In summary, having the rights and not being allowed to use them is what would truly take the value out of our soldiers' sacrifices.
htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330  Edited By htr10

oops, sorry that i'm 2 and a half days late, but i just wanted to say that i was there and none of the story that sparked this thread actually happened.  thank you for your time and have a good night.
AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By AlmostSwedish
@example1013 said:
The government should be loyal and respectful to me, not the other way around.
What this man says is true.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By Meowshi
@tunaburn said:
@Zithe:  it does go both ways. thats not the issue. but you cant cry like a baby when people get upset about your decisions while using your freedom. some people (like me for instance) have friends and family that died in iraq and it can ease the pain to at least feel liek they died for something and that other people care. well im going to sleep. good night
He's not crying like a baby.  He started a discussion.  

The only people getting emotional are people like you.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333  Edited By Meowshi
@one_2nd said:
You're a douche. I'm with the teacher on this one. If you hate it so much gtfo. 
Makes absolutely no sense.
bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By bicycleham

I've stopped doing the pledge at my school as well. Unless I'm in some kind of social event like a military gathering I usually never do it.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#335  Edited By floodiastus

Isnt that kind of normal in the US though, that people are patriots and nationalists?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336  Edited By mazik765
@Patman99 said:
@FancySoapsMan said:
This. I from Canada but when I was in high school, our band program frequently took trips down to the US for jazz festivals and such. Pretty much every trip we would sleep/live on the band room floor of a host high school. We would normally clean up the room before school even started there but the odd time we got stuck in when they said the pledge of allegiance (usually right when the bell rang). I personally am not American nor do I have any relatives from the US but I (and everyone from my Canadian school) would stand up for the pledge. Did we put our hand over our heart, no, did we mouth the words, of course not, but we certainly showed respect for that countries customs. You should as well, even more because you are an American. It was not right for the teacher to antagonize you like that but you should show respect for your fellow classmates and country even if you are not a "fan."
I'm with this guy.
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By StrikeALight

Same old bullshit. Kid, show some respect.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#338  Edited By ManlyBeast

She's an idiot .

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By lazyturtle
@Twitchey: Dude...this was me in 7th grade (WAAAAY before 9/11 too). People got REALLY worked up..kids threatened me, the teacher kicked me out of class on more than one occasion. My asshole parents (they were frequently ok, but on this one they were total asses) told me just to comply to make life easier (give me liberty or give me death! I say).

From my adult perspective, I wish I hadn't given in. After the 2nd or 3rd week of detention (yup..got detention for being "disrespectful") and the zillionth threat (literary this kid was waiting outside the classroom and told me he would kick my ass if I didn't say the pledge the next day) I got sick of it all. 

Remind this teacher of two things:
1) The Pledge of Allegiance wasn't written until 1892. It was written to indoctrinate immigrants and to fight "radicalism".  Saying it is optional. Only fascist governments demand statements  allegiance from the citizens. 
2) The 1st Amendment.. commonly referred to as freedom of speech..allows you to say OR NOT say what you please (baring statements like yelling fire in a crowded theater..etc). By not doing something disrespectful (for example spitting on the flag once everyone was done), you were simply choosing not to engage in an optional form of speech. You could also get someone to record this sort of thing (especially her retaliation attempts) and then threaten to sue the school. Or at least force her to apologize in front of the classroom. 

Whatever you choose to do in these situations, be polite. It makes your arguments more compelling when you are calm and polite.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By lazyturtle

@EpicSteve said: 

That's a completely approprite response. You were being a complete dick. I mean, not respecting your country!? That's twisted shit. It's your freedom to be disrespectful. But you're obviously going through a rebellious teenage stage. Probably watched some Liberal Iraq war documentary or something. Most people I saw go through their "fight the man" stage, grew out of it. It offends people like me that people like you can't appreciate the sacrifices that have been made. Especially in a time of war were we have 1-3 soldiers die everyday, at least stand up. 

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not..I think you aren't. Mindless reciting a prayer to America is not a sign of respect, at best it is a sign of conformity. Unless you (of your own volition) decide to pledge it has nothing to do with respect at all.
Hes choosing to live up to an American ideal..freedom of speech. How is that offensive? Its not like he jumped up while everyone was pledging and screamed "DEATH TO AMERICA" or something. I can see how that would be offensive.  But he didn't do anything like that.  In fact, for a patriot, this should have been a teachable moment. "Why aren't you a fan?" or something like that...could have been the start of a deeper exploration of nationalism and national loyalty. 
Not sure what a "Liberal Iraq war documentary" is...but the Iraq war was wrong...or at least started for the wrong reasons. Afghanistan too. We shouldn't have been in either place...what did we gain? Nothing but blood and destruction. Are we safer? Nope. Did we get a bunch of treasure or territory? Nope. Don't get me wrong, Hussein and the Taliban were total dicks..that doesn't justify us invading their countries and toppling the governments. I mean we KNOW GWB had people lie to us about the WMDs...we KNOW that his cronies intentionally leaked an undercover CIA agent's name. That pretty much puts Bush in the dick category...should someone else have toppled our government? (the answer is no)

sealog444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#341  Edited By sealog444

you dont know how easy you have it kid, show some fucking respect

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#342  Edited By Getz

Oh my god, we got 'arselves a 'Merica-hater over here! String 'im up boys!

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By Example1013
@Getz said:
Oh my god, we got 'arselves a 'Merica-hater over here! String 'im up boys!
Ah'll git the rope.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#344  Edited By nintendoeats

Ok...now I'm Canadian so I guess that my opinion on this is kind of irrelevant...but I think that you have not only the right, but an obligation to report her.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care if you say it or not but  you come off like a dick in this situation also and no ones gonna stop giving you shit if you always give smartass answers back

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@Dany said:
Also, its the fucking pledge, just stand in respect of the people around you.

this. Stop being such a cunt and show a bit of respect.
YamiB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By YamiB

As somebody trained to be a teacher, the way your teacher reacted was completely inappropriate.  There isn't really much to do about it and I wouldn't suggest complaining unless the problem continues.  If it does continue bring the issue up with the principle and if you are given any formal punishment such as suspension for not participating in the pledge I would suggest contacting the ACLU.

I don't understand why so many people are coming down on the OP in this thread as being just as bad as the teacher.  The teacher is in a position of authority and should be expected to act better than the child.  The OP was practicing his rights and if somebody has a legitimate grievance with the United States it is completely reasonable for them to abstain from standing and reciting the pledge. Its not as if there are no legitimate reasons to be upset with the government and society in the United States even if it is better than many third world countries.

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@YamiB said:
As somebody trained to be a teacher, the way your teacher reacted was completely inappropriate.  There isn't really much to do about it and I wouldn't suggest complaining unless the problem continues.  If it does continue bring the issue up with the principle and if you are given any formal punishment such as suspension for not participating in the pledge I would suggest contacting the ACLU.I don't understand why so many people are coming down on the OP in this thread as being just as bad as the teacher.  The teacher is in a position of authority and should be expected to act better than the child.  The OP was practicing his rights and if somebody has a legitimate grievance with the United States it is completely reasonable for them to abstain from standing and reciting the pledge. Its not as if there are no legitimate reasons to be upset with the government and society in the United States even if it is better than many third world countries.

there's a thing called common courtesy. The OP clearly has no concept of it. He's being a dick about the entire situation. Granted, the teacher is too....
solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349  Edited By solidlife

She should no act in that way she should respect your opinion.

I didn't know you had to do this in school in america, In England we don't even get taught the National Anthem  in school No patriotism what so ever. How does the pledge work do you recite what the teacher says ? 

Just want to be informed,  Im not criticizing the pledge. 
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#350  Edited By MysteriousBob

You should have replied in song: