• 79 results
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BubbleBobble

Twas an interesting era in history. Some of the greatest movies ever made like Fight Club, The Matrix, Office Space & Saving Private Ryan were released, as well as some pretty good alternative rock. RHCP, Deftones, No Doubt, Failure, Mr. Bungle & The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were still around. While Nu-Metal wasn't too good, System of Down was, & there were still some stuff by Korn.  Video Games were also at their peak, with Pokemon Blue/Red & Ocarina of Time.  

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

The White Stripes were just reviving Garage Rock while Bob Dylan released Time Out of Mind, his most critically acclaimed album since Blood on the Tracks.

I hated the nineties at the time, but damn if the last ten years haven't been worse.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

You have to tell us how old you are :o I'm guessing you were born late 80s/maybe early 90s.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The president was getting bj's to the sound of Mr President's Coco Jambo.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maystack

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Bwast
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob
@BubbleBobble said:

Video Games were also at their peak, with Pokemon Blue/Red & Ocarina of Time.

Not this shit again.
ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By ssj4raditz

@MysteriousBob: I was gonna say something too.

marvin_martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By marvin_martian

I thought Drops of Jupiter came out later, so I looked it up.  And ya, it was 2001.  Despite this blunder, I being a 21 year old can attest to the late 90s being the greatest.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ragdrazi

Being 31 years old, I can better attest to it.

... though those musical selections are not good. Good to see someone else remembers how bad Nu Metal needed to die in a fire, though.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Bombs_Away
@BubbleBobble: You're wrong.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Bombs_Away: No you. Are.

... The one who is wrong.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I love the '90's.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Ragdrazi: He's wrong on all counts apart from The Matrix.
yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By yukoasho
@MysteriousBob said:
@BubbleBobble said:

Not this shit again.
Yeah, I gotta agree with you here, Bob.  People who say that gaming was in its peak in the 90s have the most rose-colored glasses ever, and ignores the progress that has been made in both design and narrative in the years since. 

Nostalgia - it makes people stupid as fuck.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Rhaknar

that fucking Train song was ridiculously big here in portugal that summer

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Sayishere

Pokemon was amazing back then, still is now actually. I played way to much Pokemon red.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Bombs_Away said:
@Ragdrazi: He's wrong on all counts apart from The Matrix.
The Simpsons was still incredible. The alt rock era was still around, but just coming to an end. No bloody fucking world wide terror war without end.  Country riding high on the biggest surplus it had ever generated. I mean, as shitty as that is, because "environmentalist" Clinton did all that by corn-holing the environment in trade deals. And, yeah, The Matrix was good.

What else... Arcades. House of the Dead 2. DDR was still about getting questionably aged Asian girls to shake themselves in public. 

First girlfriend. It was a great time.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Ragdrazi

1. Simpsons can't be attributed to the late 90's.
2. Alt Rock was shit and always will be. 
3. There is, and always will be, terror and terrorism.
4. I'm from the UK so I don't care about Clinton or America in that time.
5. Again arcades can't be attributed to the late 90s.
6. And dude...well done on the girlfriend. I hope it wasn't too late in the 90s though being that you're 31.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ragdrazi
@YukoAsho said:
@MysteriousBob said:
@BubbleBobble said:

Not this shit again.
Yeah, I gotta agree with you here, Bob.  People who say that gaming was in its peak in the 90s have the most rose-colored glasses ever, and ignores the progress that has been made in both design and narrative in the years since. 

No. Games in the 90's were made by small groups of people who had complete creative control. Sure, progress has been made in design. But narrative. Not really. Other then borrowing more and more from movies, I can't think of anything I'd consider a narrative that did not at very least seem to have it's roots in 90's gaming. In fact, we've been seeing a revival of those older narrative ideas in games like Dragon Age and Fallout 3. Funny that they were considered such refreshing successes.

And as for design, sure, games have gotten better. With that amount of money going into them it would be impossible not to. But modern gamers really have an incredible problem with mistaking gloss for quality. And are things like regenerating health bars really an innovation? Or are they just pandering to laziness in pursuit of money?

In no era is every game going to be astounding. And with its low budget nature, I'm willing to concede that the 90's probably had more bad ideas put forward then in today's immaculately tended AAA world. It's just that the good ideas, and there were many, blow today's crap out of the water. 

It kind of frustrates me to see how short a memory gamers have.
Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nocall
@Ragdrazi said:
@YukoAsho said:
@MysteriousBob said:
@BubbleBobble said:

Not this shit again.

No. Games in the 90's were made by small groups of people who had complete creative control. Sure, progress has been made in design. But narrative. Not really. Other then borrowing more and more from movies, I can't think of anything I'd consider a narrative that did not at very least seem to have it's roots in 90's gaming. In fact, we've been seeing a revival of those older narrative ideas in games like Dragon Age and Fallout 3. Funny that they were considered such refreshing successes.  And as for design, sure, games have gotten better. With that amount of money going into them it would be impossible not to. But modern gamers really have an incredible problem with mistaking gloss for quality. And are things like regenerating health bars really an innovation? Or are they just pandering to laziness in pursuit of money? In no era is every game going to be astounding. And with its low budget nature, I'm willing to concede that the 90's probably had more bad ideas put forward then in today's immaculately tended AAA world. It's just that the good ideas, and there were many, blow today's crap out of the water.   It kind of frustrates me to see how short a memory gamers have.
Agree 100%.

Two words, people:

Planescape: Torment. (1999)

Give me a better narrative that has happened since then. And I will mock you for how wrong you are.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mnzy
@Bombs_Away said:
6. And dude...well done on the girlfriend. I hope it wasn't too late in the 90s though being that you're 31.
What?
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bombs_Away
@mnzy said:
@Bombs_Away said:
What?
What?
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Bombs_Away said:
@Ragdrazi:   1. Simpsons can't be attributed to the late 90's. 2. Alt Rock was shit and always will be.  3. There is, and always will be, terror and terrorism. 4. I'm from the UK so I don't care about Clinton or America in that time. 5. Again arcades can't be attributed to the late 90s. 6. And dude...well done on the girlfriend. I hope it wasn't too late in the 90s though being that you're 31.
1. Was the Simpsons on in the late 90's. Yes. Was it still incredible? Yes. Hence "The Simpsons was still incredible."
2. Alt Rock was great? And you have bad taste in music?
3. Was there a global terror war underway in the 90's? No. Al Qaeda hadn't even begun in earnest until 2000.
4. And yet you act like such a charming victim of the failing American educational system. Why is that?
5. Where the arcades around in the late 90's? Yes. So they may be attributed to that period.
6. Well, I'm glad you're concerned? It wasn't that late no.

If you could, please have something substantiative to say in response next time.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Ragdrazi said:
4. And yet you act like such a charming victim of the failing American educational system. Why is that?
And then it all became personal...
DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DAFTPUNK

The 90s were awesome! love the music

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Bombs_Away said:
@Ragdrazi said:
And then it all became personal...
And then it all became troll on Giant Bomb.

Sorry, I'll stop feeding you now.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mnzy
@Bombs_Away said:
@mnzy said:
@Bombs_Away said:
What?
What?
I think I misread that, nevermind.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#29  Edited By Little_Socrates

Threads like this make me disappointed in the GB community. Guess what? EVERY ERA WAS THE BEST. We get so self-entitled with our own goddamn generations that we refuse to look at the quality of other decades. Yes, Pokémon cards were cool. Yeah, the original Pokémon games, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, and plenty of other 90's-ass games were cool and would have trouble being made nowadays. Yes, alternative rock has always sucked as much as it rocked (except in the 80's before every rock band was an "alternative rock" band and the alt bands you'd heard of were pretty much limited to R.E.M., The Replacements, and a few more that weren't just local) and good movies got made.

Again, the only incendiary statements by the OP were the statements that film and games were at their peak then, which is an opinion that really merits little more than a comment in someone else's thread. But it leads to a ridiculous shouting match referring to people as "stupid as fuck" and "charming victims of the failing American educational system."

I would reproach all of you, but I'm about to go and get breakfast, so fuck that.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Little_Socrates: One, pokemon was never cool.

Two, my comment was directed at the attitude of a troll. Nothing more.
CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By CastroCasper

The Bosstones formed in 85, also Drops of Jupiter was released in 01. Your post is invalid.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By tebbit

The Stone Temple Pilots were still relevant, grunge was dying, but not quite dead, and a song about Barbies was about to ruin my brain forever:.

SWEET, MERCIFUL CHRIST

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Drebin_893

@Ragdrazi:

In terms of terrorism, being from the UK there was more terrorism then than there is now.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Ragdrazi said:
@Little_Socrates: One, pokemon was never cool.  Two, my comment was directed at the attitude of a troll. Nothing more.
I'd also like to say that I'm not a troll, and I really don't appreciate being called one. You made stupid comments so I gave you a stupid response. How can you say in one post that if you don't like alt-rock then you have bad taste in music, yet in another say that pokemon was never cool? Don't be so determined in the value of your opinion.
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#35  Edited By MightyDuck
@Ragdrazi

Well said!  90's music is still my favorite, although I'm sure my nostalgia makes me feel that way.
Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Klei

I still think nostalgia is a big factor when people speaks how better games used to be in that era, saying they had soul and blah blah blah. Look, most of my favorite games are titles most gamers never touched.Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full throttle, NEverhood. No, i' never found the mario or zela games to be the greatest games ever, not even Ocarina of Time. To me, 3d engines made games look supremely ugly, even Ocarina and Mario 64. That's why I prefered the hand-drawn style, except for Grim Fandango. So to me, the 90's are an area of early 3d attempts and adventure games cult classics. Other than that, the music wasn't better, it just marked memories of my childhood, so in a way, nostalgia influence it all. 

But does nostalgia makes a game better? For the user, yes, but not for the crowded audience.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Klei: Monkey Island and Grim Fandango were widely played widely acknowledged classics. And Full Throttle is pretty well remembered too.

I agree with you though. I never clung to the well beaten Mario / Zelda path. I took the Fallout / Baldur's Gate path. But that's the thing. There was so much brilliant stuff going around. There wasn't a mainstream, because we weren't really as well in contact with each other as gamers. There was just a lot of brilliant in a lot of different streams. Your path, the early Lucas Arts path, was just one great place to be among many.
DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DAFTPUNK
@GetWhatYagive: Nothing will beat 90s music nothing!
McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By McShank

90's for me... I was born at the very start of that shitty decade... we had shitty presidents, music was shit, tv was shit, games were starting to become more relevant to the everyday life of people, cars were SHIT <-- i fucking hate 90's cars.. Hawaii was awesome as always. The world seemed slightly more peaceful back then, Anonymous was nothing more then a word, Fashion was well.. lets put that in the category of cars.. pokemon was the shit *Still is* Gas was cheap.. man.. if only the 2000's were better.. (fashion got a little better, cars got better, games got more advanced and bigger in the world, tv still is shit, music is still.. shit,)

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MightyDuck
@DAFTPUNK

Haha, well said!

Semisonic
Barenaked Ladies
Third Eye Blind
Everclear
New Radicals
Smashing Pumpkins
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Sooty

The 90s was the era for Black Metal, now most of it is shitty or simply not the same.

I'd say it was for Rap/Hip-Hop too but Straight Outta Compton was out in the 80s.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BubbleBobble

For anyone saying Drops of Jupiter was 2001, you're right, I was confusing it with "Meet Virginia". 

Anyway, I updated it with Paranoid Android, from 1997. 

As for the video games hitting their peak, it's true. Half-Life (1998) CS (1999) Quake 3 (1999) Everquest (1999) Asheron's Call (1999) Unreal Tournament (1999) Age of Empires II (1999) Starcraft (1998) Banjo & Kazooie (1998) Pokemon Red/Blue (1998) Ocarina of Time (1998) Crash Bandicoot 3 (1998) Goldeneye (1997) Xenogears (1998) Spyro the Dragon (1998) Final Fantasy Tactics (1998) Metal Gear Solid (1998) RE2 (1998)  Soul Calibur (1999) Powerstone (1999) SFIII:Third Strike (1997) Tekken 3 (1997) Final Fantasy 7 (1997).

seriously

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MightyDuck
@BubbleBobble: @BubbleBobble said:

Starcraft (1998) Banjo & Kazooie (1998) Pokemon Red/Blue (1998) Ocarina of Time (1998) Crash Bandicoot 3 (1998) Goldeneye (1997) Spyro the Dragon (1998) Metal Gear Solid (1998) RE2 (1998) Tekken 3 (1997) Final Fantasy 7 (1997).

seriously

Lots of my favorite games in there.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blueduck
@BubbleBobble said:

For anyone saying Drops of Jupiter was 2001, you're right, I was confusing it with "Meet Virginia". 

Anyway, I updated it with Paranoid Android, from 1997. 

As for the video games hitting their peak, it's true. Half-Life (1998) CS (1999) Quake 3 (1999) Everquest (1999) Asheron's Call (1999) Unreal Tournament (1999) Age of Empires II (1999) Starcraft (1998) Banjo & Kazooie (1998) Pokemon Red/Blue (1998) Ocarina of Time (1998) Crash Bandicoot 3 (1998) Goldeneye (1997) Xenogears (1998) Spyro the Dragon (1998) Final Fantasy Tactics (1998) Metal Gear Solid (1998) RE2 (1998)  Soul Calibur (1999) Powerstone (1999) SFIII:Third Strike (1997) Tekken 3 (1997) Final Fantasy 7 (1997).

seriously

Oh Yeah!!!!!! Well we have Blops so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BubbleBobble
May I remind everyone that this song came out in the late 90's 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By penguindust

You wanna talk late 90's?  Let's start here...

No Caption Provided
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Shoemaker-Levy 9 dawg! That shit was crazy.

Well early mid 90's but still awesome.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iam3green

yep, good times, playing super nintendo, n64, watching pokemon every  morning. it was good times back then.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ragdrazi
@PenguinDust: Let's not.

Let's actually start here:

@BubbleBobble said:

Much better choice there.

Actually, we might just as well start here:

@BubbleBobble said:

Plenty more to add to that. Fallout 1 (1997) Fallout 2 (1998) Baldur's Gate (1998) Unreal (1998) Monkey Island 3 (1997) Grim Fandango (1998) Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998 - now to be re-released in 3d) Super Mario RPG (1996) Mario 64 (1996) Super Smash Brothers (1999) Resident Evil 1 (1996)

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BubbleBobble
@Ragdrazi said:

@PenguinDust

: Let's not.

Let's actually start here:

@BubbleBobble

said:

Much better choice there.

Actually, we might just as well start here:

@BubbleBobble

said:

Plenty more to add to that. Fallout 1 (1997) Fallout 2 (1998) Baldur's Gate (1998) Unreal (1998) Monkey Island 3 (1997) Grim Fandango (1998) Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998 - now to be re-released in 3d) Super Mario RPG (1996) Mario 64 (1996) Super Smash Brothers (1999) Resident Evil 1 (1996)

RE3 & Silent Hill, also (1999)