Mexican Flu (Spanish flu sequel)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JudgeDread

Anyone here know whats going on?
Been infected?

24 April 2009 -- The United States Government has reported seven confirmed human cases of Swine Influenza A/H1N1 in the USA (five in California and two in Texas) and nine suspect cases. All seven confirmed cases had mild Influenza-Like Illness (ILI), with only one requiring brief hospitalization. No deaths have been reported.

The Government of Mexico has reported three separate events. In the Federal District of Mexico, surveillance began picking up cases of ILI starting 18 March. The number of cases has risen steadily through April and as of 23 April there are now more than 854 cases of pneumonia from the capital. Of those, 59 have died. In San Luis Potosi, in central Mexico, 24 cases of ILI, with three deaths, have been reported. And from Mexicali, near the border with the United States, four cases of ILI, with no deaths, have been reported.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_24/en/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8017871.stm

Mexican authorities have closed schools and public buildings in the capital in a bid to contain a new flu virus suspected of killing up to 60 people.

Public events were suspended and residents donned face masks as concern grew over the outbreak.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/25/swine.flu/index.html

(CNN) -- Mexican officials closed all schools Friday in the capital city in an effort to combat the swine flu virus that has killed dozens in Mexico and infected eight people in the United States.

Swine flu is usually diagnosed only in pigs or people in regular contact with them.

Authorities also closed schools in the state of Mexico in an effort to quell the virus, which has killed at least 68 people in the country, according to a statement from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico.

Other public institutions, including museums and government offices, were also closed in Mexico City.

Mexican soldiers distributed surgical masks to pedestrians and motorists in downtown Mexico City on Friday, according to state-run media.

President Felipe Calderon canceled a scheduled trip to the northern state of Chihuahua and stayed in Mexico City to address concerns on the virus.

"We know the seriousness of the problem," Calderon said. " I know that we will be able to solve this. This is our obligation."

More than 1,000 people have fallen ill in Mexico City in a short period of time, U.S. health experts said.

Health officials said they are concerned that the swine flu virus matches samples of a virus that has killed people in Mexico.

"This situation has been developing quickly," said acting Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Richard Besser. "This is something we are worried about

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8017585.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8016909.stm
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gmanall

Is this like the bird flu?

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JudgeDread
Gmanall said:
"Is this like the bird flu?"

The World Health Organization has confirmed at least some of the cases are a never-before-seen strain of H1N1.

It is genetically different from the fully human H1N1 seasonal influenza virus that has been circulating globally for the past few years and contains DNA that is typical to avian, swine and human viruses, including elements from European and Asian swine viruses

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124058255179552887.html

International health officials are concerned about the strain because it is new and appears to be spreading from person to person -- two criteria for a potential "pandemic" flu, or virus that could spread rapidly around the world. Calling the developments "of high concern," the World Health Organization said the bug is also disproportionately affecting young adults in Mexico. That is a pattern seen in the deadly 1918 pandemic that killed millions. Ordinary seasonal flu normally takes its heaviest toll on children and the elderly, but those groups haven't been heavily affected in Mexico, the WHO said.

Both the WHO and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention activated round-the clock emergency operations to monitor the outbreak. The WHO noted it isn't at the point of raising its pandemic alert level.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30386163/

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Any country with decent healthcare should be decently equipped to deal with it. It's not deadly, unless it goes untreated. And there are plenty of treatments available, and countries with decent healthcare have decent stocks of these treatments. It's nothing to worry about.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

I heard S.T.A.R.S. Alpha Team are currently being dispatched to investigate the area.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie

Stop stealing my popularity.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

Two threads. It's been all on the news since Saturday.

That's a lot of talking for "we don't really know".

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

Greetings from Europe.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Meowayne said:
"Greetings from Europe."
What's that supposed to mean? You think it won't make it over here to Europe? I'm pretty sure it is going to get over here. There are already suspected cases in scotland, france and spain. Even if these are false, it won't be too long before it get's here. But as I said before, most countries have enough of the treatments available to avoid it being a major problem.
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Keyser_Soze

*ACHOO* oink oink.

Sorry what?

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Tiwi

275 infected 85 dead, 120 no longer sick. in Mexico that is.
Norway, not worried:-) ( wait that's not right)

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Systech

This is racist.

But seriously, I should watch out since I live in the old Californi'.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By myke_tuna

lol. Racist. I'm Mexican and find no problem with it. And I also need to watch out. I live in Texas. I'm not too worried though. I drink a couple glasses of OJ every day. That and never leave my house....so, you know... that kinda takes care of it. Not that I'm lonely or anything like that... that would be crazy. ...Right?

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

The thing is spreading pretty quickly. There are some girls in New York who got it from a vacation in Mexico along with some people from New Zealand and there are some doctors who say that the official death count is severely underestimating the actual death count and it's actually upwards of 200 deaths in Mexico. Scary stuff.
Everyone move to Madagascar!
(^Cookie for guessing game reference)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince
HandsomeDead said:
"I heard S.T.A.R.S. Alpha Team are currently being dispatched to investigate the area."
You mean the BSAA right?
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By gearhead

I actually just got it. I am in quarantine right now. No joke. Fucking Mystery Meat Mondays at school...

onlyjeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By onlyjeorge

I'm from Mexico and it's impresive how everyone is feraking out...hahah I'm just enjoying my no school weeks , thanks to the flu ... no seriously.. it's noy even deadly so why worry

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

Head on over to this thread, I know this one was posted first but the other one has more replies. Thanks.