• 80 results
#1 Edited by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

NOOOOOO! NOT JOHN COFFEY!

The 54-year-old giant that played John Coffey in The Green Mile (and I still personally liked in Daredevil, despite it being a terrible movie), suffered a heart attack back in July that he's been hospitalized for. His fiancee confirmed that he passed away today.

I've gotta go watch The Green Mile. Also, has this been a shitty couple months for celebrity deaths or WHAT?!

*EDIT* I screwed up in the title. MCD was 54.

#2 Posted by Ben_H (3366 posts) -

NO WAY! IT CANNOT BE 

RIP MCD! You were a fine actor. :(

#3 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

45 years of age, what a sad waste. Oh wait he was 54, oh well that changes everything, not so bothered now.

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

See Spot Run.

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

@FourWude said:

45 years of age, what a sad waste. Oh wait he was 54, oh well that changes everything, not so bothered now.

My fingers didn't want to admit that he was 54. That just seemed too old for him!

#6 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3881 posts) -

That's a real bummer. He was a cool dude.

#7 Edited by Venatio (4491 posts) -

:,( Truly sad about this, he was a great actor, I always enjoyed seeing him show up in everything

R.I.P Big guy

#8 Posted by FLStyle (4725 posts) -

Sin City and Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby were the shit. R.I.P.

#9 Posted by ToTheNines (728 posts) -

R.I.P.

#10 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@FourWude said:

My fingers didn't want to admit that he was 54. That just seemed too old for him!

It's ok. You want to remember him in his prime, when he was a big black teddy bear just waiting to be hugged. I too wanted to hug him.

#11 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1757 posts) -

Oh man, what the FUCK.... He was one of my favorite actors. He was just so damn likable in everything he was in. This is truly sad news. RIP

#12 Posted by falserelic (5445 posts) -

Sad to hear he past away. I enjoyed watching his movies. R.I.P

#13 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Damn. DAMN. I don't know what to say, he was just so likable... R.I.P.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14699 posts) -

awww man, that's a bummer.

#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

Damn, one of the most iconic black actors ever. I enjoyed him in The Finder recently.

Shit, such a shame.

#16 Posted by InfiniteSpark (309 posts) -

Wow, sad to hear this sudden news. RIP MCD, loved watching you in the many roles your played!

#17 Posted by Hunter5024 (5708 posts) -

He was awesome.

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (14880 posts) -

He was such a good guy. Sucks man. =(

#19 Edited by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

I heard he's been having health problems recently. It's a shame he didn't pull through. RIP.

#20 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

WHAT?

#21 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

That sucks, R.I.P Big guy.

#22 Posted by coakroach (2491 posts) -

Loved a lot of his work, RIP

#23 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

That's a serious bummer. Damn.

#24 Edited by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

Honestly, this does make me incredibly sad. One of the biggest reasons is because I had a chance to interview him at one point. Back when I was running BonusStage, Atari was doing some press work for Demon Stone and were shopping around places for possible interviews with Michael Clarke Duncan. I had really wanted to get one of those interviews because he was also doing some work on The Suffering: Ties That Bind (I was a massive fan of the first game, so I really wanted to talk to him about that). Unfortunately, we were under the necessary "unique visitors" threshold for people allowed to get the interviews. In turn, I never got to do it. I had a lot of things I wanted to ask him, and I'll never get to.

Remembering that just now bummed me out a little bit more. = (

#25 Posted by DeadPan (331 posts) -

Damn....

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Is it odd of me that whenever I see a thread about a celebrity dying, my first thought is, "Who?" (Less derisive, more me just not knowing.)

#27 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Is it odd of me that whenever I see a thread about a celebrity dying, my first thought is, "Who?" (Less derisive, more me just not knowing.)

Nah. Some people don't keep up with that kind of stuff, and even then, you have to think of whether they are popular internationally or just in the States or whatever.

#28 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Very sad news :(

He was one of my favourites. RIP, big guy.

#29 Posted by wjb (1666 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Nah. Some people don't keep up with that kind of stuff, and even then, you have to think of whether they are popular internationally or just in the States or whatever.

Also, he was well-known like, 10-15 years ago. He's appeared in random roles since then, but his celebrity had diminished over the years. Still, such a shame; so young.

#30 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

@wjb said:

@jakob187 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Also, he was well-known like, 10-15 years ago. He's appeared in random roles since then, but his celebrity had diminished over the years. Still, such a shame; so young.

He moved into smaller roles and TV. I think that Daredevil and that rather bad Broken Lizard movie kind of pushed him into that direction. Still, he was Kilowog in the Green Lantern movie, and people were really liking The Finder.

Regardless of anything, he'll always be John Coffey to me. Manute and Lucius were two great roles for him, but he played John Coffey so goddamn well.

#31 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -

R.I.P. Kilowog

#32 Posted by vorpalparasite (295 posts) -

R.I.P Good Sir!

#33 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11134 posts) -

May he Rest in Peace.

#34 Posted by Kaiserreich (705 posts) -

Fucking sucks, :(

#35 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

*EDIT* I screwed up in the title. MCD was 54.

WHATEVER MOTHER FUCKER!

Duncan was awesome in The Slammin' Salmon. He completely dominated every scene he was in. R.I.P.

#36 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

He was such a great actor. :(((((( RIP.

#37 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

rest in peace

#38 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Shame, he was in some nice movies.

Plus he was the kingpin in a spider-man cartoon, that's hella cool.

RIP

#39 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

His smile was something else...

#40 Posted by StarvingGamer (8284 posts) -

:'(

#41 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I have always admired MCD, even in movies that I think are bad (like Daredevil). I was enjoying The Finder when it was on, and I think a lot of that had to do with him. Sad to hear that he's gone. RIP.

#42 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2818 posts) -

Man that is a bummer, he was a true talent and gentleman. He will be missed.

#43 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

This whole year has been full of celebrity deaths.

#44 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

R.I.P. Michael. If you're reading this, you're in our thoughts.

#45 Posted by briareosph (14 posts) -

R.I.P. You will be missed.

#46 Posted by DragonNinja789 (351 posts) -

I usually feel threatened by someone thats 6' 5'' and 300 pounds, but no not Michael Clark Duncan, he had presence that was that of the sweetest funny personality, that enjoyed and embraced life and his career.

I will truly miss this performer, I had hopes of meeting him one day.

#47 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

:(

#48 Posted by kindgineer (2738 posts) -

That really sucks, RIP Clarke. You were in some great movies and always a great actor in them.

#49 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

Damn, that sucks. RIP.

He didn't even look bad or unhealthy in the slightest.

#50 Posted by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

Damn, sorry to hear that. I've always enjoyed his performances.