Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@g6065 said:

Good Morning Guys,

Recently, my wife has proposed the idea that we move to the U.S, specifically Seattle.

Visa's aren't a problem as my father was born in the U.S.

I would ultimately be able to continue my current career (with the benefit of RPL), and my wife would be able to teach.

We are currently residents of Australia.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has immigrated to the U.S, and for the permanent residents, what are some of the things I should be looking out for?

Thanks for your time,

-g.

Hmmm... I always kind of wondered what people from nations that are almost all the same race must think of moving to countries made up of multiple races and sub-cultures. Here's to hoping you aren't racist!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Animasta

@BigChickenDinner said:

Jesus.... H.... Christ.......

And no one was going to warn you about all the gay men who will hit on you. Its not really a problem if your okay knowing that that those guys looking at you funny REALLY DO want to put their penises inside your anus.

there are no such thing as predatory gays and that is perpetuating a stereotype that really doesn't exist

Yeah, holy shit that was a homophobic thing to say. Gays aren't fucking wild gorillas and judging by that post, you just might be.
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@ShadowSkill11

@g6065 said:

Good Morning Guys,

Recently, my wife has proposed the idea that we move to the U.S, specifically Seattle.

Visa's aren't a problem as my father was born in the U.S.

I would ultimately be able to continue my current career (with the benefit of RPL), and my wife would be able to teach.

We are currently residents of Australia.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has immigrated to the U.S, and for the permanent residents, what are some of the things I should be looking out for?

Thanks for your time,

-g.

Hmmm... I always kind of wondered what people from nations that are almost all the same race must think of moving to countries made up of multiple races and sub-cultures. Here's to hoping you aren't racist!

Errr, Australia is extremely multicultural and is much easier to immigrate to than the USA.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54  Edited By Animasta

@Tim_the_Corsair: extremely multicultural? shit man the aussies are super racists towards aboriginals.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Video_Game_King said:

Although my data on the United States is dated, at best, I do know this: if you want to fit in, eat things that will kill you horribly. That much seems to have held up. Also, something about bimackerel governments?

Absolutely hilarious, really, saying the U.S. is only comprised of fat people, so fresh and so good, keep it up.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Animasta

@Tim_the_Corsair: extremely multicultural? shit man the aussies are super racists towards aboriginals.

What a gross generalisation.

Like many countries, the USA included, there are things in our past regarding the Aboriginal population that are regrettable, but there has since been a great deal done to improve their situation and/or to allow those who wish to live a traditional lifestyle to do so in peace. While things aren't perfect on both sides of the fence, to turn around and say that the entire non-Aboriginal population of Australia is extremely racist is ignorant in the extreme.

Besides that, there are people of races and backgrounds besides white Australians and Aboriginals living here. Indeed, approximately a quarter of the population were born overseas, and the majority of immigration to Australia currently originates from Asia.
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By Simplexity

Come to Norway instead, you'll freeze but you won't get shot.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#58  Edited By musubi

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AMERICA:

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bio595

@Animasta said:

also all you people saying the rain is a drag are fucking crazy

you know what is a drag? 110 degree weather (43 c for the europeans out there)

What about New Zealanders you racist mofo. Or aren't we good enough to make it onto your celcius list? =)

That is fucking hot though

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By bio595

I wish you the best of luck man, I hope to someday end up living in the US.

Though from I've heard (not confirmed) is that the healthcare stuff is really terrible.

This is of considerable importance to me as a former cancer patient, so watch out if you have diseases or other bad shit like that.

Also, hell of guns. Guns are bad. Knives are better. More personal

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By clumsyninja1

If you move to the U.S consider going to the East/West coast especially SF, Portland, Seattle, NY, Boston. Those places tend to be liberal and open minded to people from other countries (even if you speak english). I will avoid the Midwest and the South since they tend to be more conservatives and close minded.

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@clumsyninja1 said:

If you move to the U.S consider going to the East/West coast especially SF, Portland, Seattle, NY, Boston. Those places tend to be liberal and open minded to people from other countries (even if you speak english). I will avoid the Midwest and the South since they tend to be more conservatives and close minded.

Oh, you mean close-minded like those people that make sweeping generalizations about an entire region and its people? Yea, I've seen a few of those around lately...

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By clumsyninja1

@Foxtrot0245: As someone that has live in the south and midwest: Dallas, Houston, Austin, Nashville, Atlanta, Denver,Phoenix, Scottdale, etc. I can tell you that people in West/East coast tend to be more open and friendly with people from other countries.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#64  Edited By Undeadpool

@g6065: My parents live just off the coast of Tacoma near Seattle, so I can tell you: you've chosen well. Seattle's a great city. Make sure you visit the Rock and Roll history museum if you have ANY interest in Rock and Roll or sci-fi (there's a sci-fi museum on the same lot), the coffee is excellent, the fish is great. It's a city that you can really hit the streets and explore on foot, though I'd also recommend owning a car since public transit is not great.

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@clumsyninja1: As someone born, raised, and living in the South, I can tell you that you (notice how I didn't generalize; specifically you) are a bigoted dick hole. How exactly do you legitimize criticizing someone for talking about stereotypes (as you should do), and then turning around to spout stereotypes about the South?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Animasta

@Foxtrot0245: is being more or less open minded a stereotype? Is saying that Seattle has a more open minded approach to other cities stereotyping? He wasn't even saying they were all close minded, just that they were more than their western contemporaries. Consider the fact that 4-5 southern states still have anti sodomy laws on the books (they're unenforcable now but still).

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By clumsyninja1

@Foxtrot0245: I understand that you are tring to defend where you live. Which state exactly you are from the South?

Like I said before cities that are on the coast (West/East) tend to be more open and liberal than the Midwest/South that tend to be more conservative and reserved.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Skytylz

@SmilingPig said:

2-There is an insane amount of guns in the States. (Big minus, unless you really like guns)

It does suck getting shot at all the time.

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@Animasta: Imagine that this thread was about someone that was planning on renting out a room and was looking for advice on who to rent it to. Then someone like @clumsyninja1 comes along and says something like:

"If you decide to rent it out, consider renting to a white or Asian person. Those people tend to be able to pay their bills and are respectful of rental property. I would avoid blacks and Mexicans, since they tend to be more irresponsible and incapable of paying bills on time."

If this scenario (built just by changing the demographics and the related stereotypes in clumsy's actual post) were true, would we still be having this conversation?

thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70  Edited By thecablekid
Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@clumsyninja1: North Carolina. The original message inferring that people in the South are somehow bigoted toward people from other countries is offensive. I know its just a stereotype, but it really sucks (and is extremely ironic, given your original statement) being labeled as a close minded bigot just because of where you are from.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72  Edited By Dalai
@Skytylz said:

@SmilingPig said:

2-There is an insane amount of guns in the States. (Big minus, unless you really like guns)

It does suck getting shot at all the time.

So true. Just ask 50 Cent. If he lived in Europe, he only would've been stabbed 9 times.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Animasta

@Foxtrot0245: I wasn't saying you were! jesus. but are you going to say that, ON AVERAGE, a person from the south is not more likely to be close minded than someone from seattle? and your strawman doesn't work because there are people from all races everywhere, racial stereotypes are significantly more damaging than regional stereotypes.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Foxtrot0245: Something being a stereotype does not make it untrue. Those states are statistically more conservative, he simply stated a fact, how things really are. You have no reason to be angry at him, other than maybe some imprecise wording. 
Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@Animasta said:

@Foxtrot0245: I wasn't saying you were! jesus. but are you going to say that, ON AVERAGE, a person from the south is not more likely to be close minded than someone from seattle? and your strawman doesn't work because there are people from all races everywhere, racial stereotypes are significantly more damaging than regional stereotypes.

Yes, I am saying that America's impression of the South is due to severely inappropriate stereotypes, propagated by people who supposedly abhor stereotypes.

Also, if it pleases you and dismisses your weak rebuttal of my argument, I have revised the wording here:

"If you decide to rent it out, consider renting to a person from above the Tropic of Cancer. Those people tend to be able to pay their bills and are respectful of rental property because people from this area are generally richer and more trustworthy. I would avoid renting to people from below the Tropic of Cancer. They tend to be more irresponsible and incapable of paying bills on time because people from these areas are generally poorer and are less trustworthy."

Is that regional enough for you?

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@Foxtrot0245: Something being a stereotype does not make it untrue. Those states are statistically more conservative, he simply stated a fact, how things really are. You have no reason to be angry at him, other than maybe some imprecise wording.

Now you're confusing the argument. Are southern/midwest states more conservative politically? Absolutely. Does that equate to being hostile toward people of other nationalities? Absolutely NOT.

I do find it funny that I have lived in the South all my life, and right hand to God the most racist things I have ever witnessed have taken place in my trips to NY and PA. Just a side note that I wanted to get off my chest.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77  Edited By wrighteous86

@clumsyninja1 said:

@Foxtrot0245: As someone that has live in the south and midwest: Dallas, Houston, Austin, Nashville, Atlanta, Denver,Phoenix, Scottdale, etc. I can tell you that people in West/East coast tend to be more open and friendly with people from other countries.

Hey yo, Chicago is the liberal oasis of the Midwest. Don't lump us in like that.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Animasta

@Wrighteous86 said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

Hey yo, Chicago is the liberal oasis of the Midwest. Don't lump us in like that.

Atlanta is pretty liberal too as far as I know.

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@Animasta said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

Atlanta is pretty liberal too as far as I know.

Yea, all of DeKalb County is pretty liberal. Northern VA (Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax) is also included in the South, and is very strongly liberal.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Subjugation

@bio595 said:

Though from I've heard (not confirmed) is that the healthcare stuff is really terrible.

This is of considerable importance to me as a former cancer patient, so watch out if you have diseases or other bad shit like that.

What do you mean the healthcare stuff is terrible? The actual quality of care is some of the best in the world. That's why world leaders are known to travel here to be taken care of. Just make sure you have insurance or any real serious treatment will cost you quite a bit. When my disease was active I had to visit the doctor and receive treatment every eight weeks. Like I said, the treatment was great, but without insurance it would have caused real financial hurt.

Also, a piece of advice: Ignore the politics once you get here. The stupid in the air is palpable. That goes for all politicians.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By napalm

@LordXavierBritish said:

Isn't getting a teaching job in America right now like really, really hard.

Because our education system is fucked? Not sure why his wife would want to teach here. We're a bunch of spoiled, loud, annoying people with a third-rate education system.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Subjugation

@bio595 said:

What do you mean the healthcare stuff is terrible? The actual quality of care is some of the best in the world. That's why world leaders are known to travel here to be taken care of. Just make sure you have insurance or any real serious treatment will cost you quite a bit. When my disease was active I had to visit the doctor and receive treatment every eight weeks. Like I said, the treatment was great, but without insurance it would have caused real financial hurt.

Also, a piece of advice: Ignore the politics once you get here. The stupid in the air is palpable. That goes for all politicians.

I think he meant the appalling way in which healthcare works in your country (which your insurance comments confirm).

I don't think anyone believes the US is lacking in quality health practitioners.
Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#83  Edited By Bigheart711

@g6065: First of all, good luck on your move. Secondly, I think teaching in private schools are a lot better than teaching public schools, so if she ends up with such a job, she should be fine. Good luck on your current career too.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@Animasta said:

@BigChickenDinner said:

And no one was going to warn you about all the gay men who will hit on you. Its not really a problem if your okay knowing that that those guys looking at you funny REALLY DO want to put their penises inside your anus.

there are no such thing as predatory gays and that is perpetuating a stereotype that really doesn't exist

Well I've had multiple gay men come up to me and say things like " Mmmhh seeing you just reminded me I'd like some of that." or " Damn you look good " etc. And saying there are no such thing as predatory anything is a ignorant blanket statement. Now I will admit the majority of gay men in Seattle will just look at you or not even that, and not make advances. However gay men do, and from personal experience, have made advances on a male they have never seen before. If it happens it happens, I don't really take offense, but it is a little unsettling. Especially when the gay dude hitting on you is homeless (my latest experience).

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By martyarf

Don't Come to America: The Gays Will Get You

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@martyarf said:

Don't Come to America: The Gays Will Get You

Wow you homophobic less than human piece of shit. Gays never make a mistake and hit on a straight man!!! STOP SPREADING LIES!!!!!!

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By martyarf

I know, right? If only there was some kind of way to mark who was gay and who wasn't, that would end all the confusion. Maybe something they could wear on their sleeve? Like, I dunno, some kind of shape, a symbol. How do you feel about a pentagram? It's close, but I feel we can do better.

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@martyarf said:

I know, right? If only there was some kind of way to mark who was gay and who wasn't, that would end all the confusion. Maybe something they could wear on their sleeve? Like, I dunno, some kind of shape, a symbol. How do you feel about a pentagram? It's close, but I feel we can do better.

I demand it mandatory for them to parade around in ass less chaps, with a rainbow painted on their chest. Like they do doing the gay pride parade, and march around elementary, middle and highschools, parks and daycares. If any of you doubt the gay men in Seattle do this, Come watch the parade. I literally stay inside on that day because I guess gay pride is constituted by indecent exposure.

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@martyarf: You seem like someone with legitimately witty things to say, but without the patience to wait for someone to say something that warrants what you have on your mind.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By martyarf

*holds up card* House! I win homophobic bingo! I have "sexually aggressive", "gay pride parades", and I got the center square kicker, "won't somebody think of the kids?"

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By scarace360

@habster3 said:

@scarace360 said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

I hope she's teaching at a private school. Public school kids are becoming bigger dicks by the year.

I dont think they can get any worse?

Somehow they can. And they do. Fucking monsters.

burn them.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Jumanji
@g6065: Do NOT assume your wife can teach in the US. Job availability varies tremendously from city to city. The work she does get may involve an astonishing commute, with few benefits, shockingly low wage scale with no possibility for advancement, perma-temp status, teaching subjects for which she's marginally qualified/unqualified, etc. She may also have to undergo exorbitantly expensive re-certification. 

@BigChickenDinner

said:

@Animasta said:

@BigChickenDinner said:

Well I've had multiple gay men come up to me and say things like " Mmmhh seeing you just reminded me I'd like some of that." or " Damn you look good " etc. And saying there are no such thing as predatory anything is a ignorant blanket statement. Now I will admit the majority of gay men in Seattle will just look at you or not even that, and not make advances. However gay men do, and from personal experience, have made advances on a male they have never seen before. If it happens it happens, I don't really take offense, but it is a little unsettling. Especially when the gay dude hitting on you is homeless (my latest experience).

This forum desperately needs an ignore feature. 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#93  Edited By mike
@Jumanji: Try turning Off Topic view off for awhile. I did a couple of years ago and never turned back...I only check out threads in OT when someone flags a post as inappropriate. We put a lot of effort into putting anything that isn't about video games or the site into OT so people don't have to see it if they don't want to. 

The forums are way better not having to look at teenage dating advice topics or religion threads. I may miss something interesting once in awhile, but that's a small price to pay for a much more enjoyable forum experience. It's awesome.
Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Jumanji
@MB: thanks for the advice. I should probably just avoid rising to the bait...
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Patman99

Sounds cool! I live in Victoria, BC, just north of Washington!!

We can be best friends..... BEST FRIENDS!!!!

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By masternater27

I can't speak for immigration, but I've lived in the greater Seattle area all my life. The rain stuff is a little overblown. It usually isn't raining super hard or anything, it's just cloudy a lot when it isn't summer. There won't be a single drop of rain from around mid june til mid September though and you can't beat the scenery. Seattle is pretty welcoming for foreigners, though you probably wouldn't have an issue anywhere as an Australian. It is pretty expensive here though (counterbalanced by some of the highest wages in the country), so hopefully you have something lined up already. Also, PAX.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By TruthTellah

@Srah said:

@Jumanji:

Agreed and I'm new to the forums. With some of the comments made here and the ESPN thread, I don't think I'll be sticking around.

Don't give up on the Forums necessarily. As MB said, you can just turn off Off Topic on your feed, where most of the problematic threads pop up. There's a lot of good people willing to have good conversations on games here. You just have to avoid some articles that will clearly just lead to trouble. :)

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Jumanji
@TruthTellah: Your profile pic is well suited to your post.
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By TruthTellah

@Jumanji said:

@TruthTellah: Your profile pic is well suited to your post.

Well thank you. Kind words are always appreciated.