g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By g6065

Good Morning Guys,

Recently, my wife has proposed the idea that we move to the U.S, specifically Seattle.

Visa's aren't a problem as my father was born in the U.S.

I would ultimately be able to continue my current career (with the benefit of RPL), and my wife would be able to teach.

We are currently residents of Australia.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has immigrated to the U.S, and for the permanent residents, what are some of the things I should be looking out for?

Thanks for your time,

-g.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Although my data on the United States is dated, at best, I do know this: if you want to fit in, eat things that will kill you horribly. That much seems to have held up. Also, something about bimackerel governments?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

Well Seattle is a great place to live (it's no portland but that's just my bias showing :P), very beautiful, nice people. Can't help you with immigration but yah.

Also try not to be offended by people telling you things about shrimps on the barbie and shit

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Animasta

@c0kemusheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Although my data on the United States is dated, at best, I do know this: if you want to fit in, eat things that will kill you horribly. That much seems to have held up. Also, something about bimackerel governments?

Step 1: Don't be an ignorant xenophobic prick like this guy ^^

Step 2: Treat people nicely and you yourself will be treated as such :) It's a good place to live, especially Seattle. You'll love it

Yeah americans are totally not xenophobic at all

americans LOVE immigrants!

unless you're from a third world nation

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By crazyleaves

Seattle is pretty cool except the weather is kind of a drag. At least to me it was, I lived there for a couple years with my wife (she's from Kitsap Co.). I'm from Texas and am used to it being crazy hot in the summer and things like sunshine. My first winter was fine but the second kinda got to me, it's just so dark all the time. Most of the people are fine if not as friendly as Texans though. The food, scenery, and maritime culture, as well as some awesome people are the only things I really miss. Oh yeah, Americans are all right folks mostly, we tend to be a little ignorant but that doesn't mean we're terribly bad people. Cheers, and give us an update!

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

Oh man you'll go from the dryest place on earth to the wettest. Hope you like rain buddy.

Oh and make some contacts in America before moving there it will be easier in the long run. Also I'm not sure what the process will be for your wife to immigrate....

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Animasta said:

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but wasn't the concept of the third world invented to show how awesome America is and how everybody should be like it?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Isn't getting a teaching job in America right now like really, really hard.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By GreggD

If you're not sure what to eat at a restaurant, chances are they'll have chicken fingers and fries. Every restaurant I've ever been to has that on the menu. And sometimes they have it, but it's not listed.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Vinny_Says said:

Oh man you'll go from the dryest place on earth to the wettest.

Just look at this guy's username and tell me that it doesn't demand a Photoshop.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aus_azn

I'm also an Aussie living in the 'States,

1. Buy anything that would be expensive in Australia. Especially cars. But don't go overboard.

2. If you permanently immigrate here, make sure you REMAIN as an Aussie, even if you apply for American citizenship (read: dual citizenship).

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@LordXavierBritish said:

you'd think so but in some areas it's very hard to find teachers at all. Course that all depends on the place, but if you're a science teacher it's pretty easy usually.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

also all you people saying the rain is a drag are fucking crazy

you know what is a drag? 110 degree weather (43 c for the europeans out there)

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Seattle's not bad. I prefer Portland, but anywhere on the West Coast should be a relatively easy transition. People from the more densely populated Eastern parts of the country have a reputation for being rude, but of course there are exceptions to every generalization. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have finding a teaching job, at least immediately, so don't be afraid to take whatever job you can get that pays well enough.

A friend of mine immigrated from New Zealand within the last few years and he had quite an ordeal trying to gain citizenship, even with his wife being American. Of course he was moving to Pennsylvania and the woman in charge of his paperwork was incompetent, so you may not have the same issues as him, but don't except it to be a simple process.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By mandude

I've actually just moved from Ireland to Seattle in the last 4 months. People say it rains here a lot, but having just come through a winter here, I think they're crazy now.

I'm not sure what to tell you, since I didn't come from Australia. I have noticed that the people here are a lot less reserved than elsewhere. You'll meet a lot of really nice people, but it also means you'll meet a lot of crazy people. Their whole credit rating system is asinine, though, and with no credit history (which is the same as bad credit history), you might find it hard to integrate financially. Your stability is extremely dependent on your job here, since you've no right to a home, and standard healthcare is fairly absent.

And be careful of what you eat. A lot of food over here is made in ways other countries have made illegal, (for health reasons).

I could say nice things too, but you've no use for them.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope she's teaching at a private school. Public school kids are becoming bigger dicks by the year.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Hey, I live about an hour and a half away from Seattle. We can be best friends together.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By matthias2437

Seattle is actually a pretty awesome place to live. People aren't as big of ass holes as you might expect based on the general idea of Americans.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By scarace360

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

I hope she's teaching at a private school. Public school kids are becoming bigger dicks by the year.

I dont think they can get any worse?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous
@LordXavierBritish said:

Depends on the place; some friends of mine are in college for teaching degrees right now and their entire tuition is paid for by the government because there aren't enough teachers. 

Basically it seems like inner cities are in need of teachers while there's competition for teaching jobs in the suburbs (my mom is a teacher in the suburbs).
crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crazyleaves
@mandude From my experience no credit is worse than bad credit. I'm 33 and have never had any credit until I started going to school last fall. My wife who was in debt for over 10k could get a cell phone and plan without a down payment with no credit I would've had to pay $800 up front for one phone.

That is definitely something the op should look into.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meowshi

We put cheese on everything.

And bacon.

If this idea doesn't immediately excite you, the you should stay the fuck out of our country. We don't cotton to your kind round here.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Turambar
@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but wasn't the concept of the third world invented to show how awesome America is and how everybody should be like it?

Completely untrue.  The concept of the Third World is a concept created during the Cold War to describe emerging states that were neither affiliated with the western industrialized democracies (the first world), nor the Soviet bloc (the second world.)
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Meowshi said:

We put cheese on everything.

And bacon.

If this idea doesn't immediately excite you, the you should stay the fuck out of our country. We don't cotton to your kind round here.

Do you put cotton on your food? I remember something about a King Cotton; is he like the Burger King, but with cotton?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Turambar:

Maybe I'm just confusing political theories or something. Do you at least have some idea as to what I'm referring to? Or did I just pull that out of my ass entirely?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Turambar
@Animasta said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

you'd think so but in some areas it's very hard to find teachers at all. Course that all depends on the place, but if you're a science teacher it's pretty easy usually.

Teachers for inner city or rural schools are at a constant demand.  Further, with the advent of the stripping of collective bargaining in places like Wisconsin, a lot of senior teachers are retiring before their pensions start fizzling up, and that's leaving open spots in even suburban schools as well.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Wolverine

@g6065: I live in America, but on the East Coast (specifically New York). There isn't much to look out for, just be prepared for people (especially women) being fascinated with you're accent. Women here love foreign accents from other English speaking countries. As an American man I find it kind of annoying.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turambar
@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar:

Maybe I'm just confusing political theories or something. Do you at least have some idea as to what I'm referring to? Or did I just pull that out of my ass entirely?

The definition of the term Third World has changed dramatically into struggling or failed states, and yes, the US does has a narcissistic streak about its own institutions.  But as for the origin of the term, you either pulled it out of your ass or heard it from someone who pulled it out of their ass.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Turambar:

I think I just confused political theories or something. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I pulled it out of my ass, for my ass is an unexplored frontier :P.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King

Everything you've said thus far in this thread makes you look like you an asshole. Why? There's no fucking call for it, and nobody was out to offend you.

OP: Our game costs are still in the double digits. Awesome, huh? Anyway, almost all Americans have a fascination with other English-speaking people's accents and dialogues. Mass generalization, yes, but a lot of people just find them funny or interesting. They don't mean any insult if they smile at it or attempt (miserably) to copy it or something, just that they think it's cool or pleasant to hear.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

My bad, then. The first post was meant more as a light joke, if anything else.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Turambar
@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar:

I think I just confused political theories or something. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I pulled it out of my ass, for my ass is an unexplored frontier :P.

I can't really think of a specific political science term to describe that, as that kind of attitude is pretty common across all nations at some point in their history, directed towards another lesser nation.  If you find one though, feel free to let me know.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NTM

@g6065: Ha ha, how did I know you were going to say Seattle? A lot of people want to live here. I live about 25 minutes away from downtown, though now closer to Bellevue. What do you mean by "looking out for"? What do you want to know? I may be able to help.

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By eugenesaxe

@g6065:

Pacific Northwest. Be ready for rain/"rain"/water particles in the air. Pretty much constantly except for the one month of summer every year. Having said that, I dreaded moving here for that reason, but it really isn't that bad; it rarely truly rains, but the streets seem to be constantly wet.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Jesus.... H.... Christ.......

And no one was going to warn you about all the gay men who will hit on you. Its not really a problem if your okay knowing that that those guys looking at you funny REALLY DO want to put their penises inside your anus.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By coakroach

Out of curiosity, why leave Australia? Its pretty awesome here (as a student in Melbourne anyway)

Also if you're going to move anywhere, why the states?

I'm sure it would be easier (same language, the aforementioned family connection) than going for an expat job somewhere else, but going somewhere in Asia or even Africa for a stint would be way more interesting (teachers for international schools are often in high demand)

None of my business of course either way, all the best duder!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SSully

@Animasta said:

also all you people saying the rain is a drag are fucking crazy

you know what is a drag? 110 degree weather (43 c for the europeans out there)

Agreed! Fuck the heat, summer is overrated

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Private school kids can be incredibly boring in comparison.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GuyIncognito

Canada > USA

Also, they are slowly introducing polymer banknotes in Canada. So as an Australian, you should feel right at home.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animasta

@BigChickenDinner said:

Jesus.... H.... Christ.......

And no one was going to warn you about all the gay men who will hit on you. Its not really a problem if your okay knowing that that those guys looking at you funny REALLY DO want to put their penises inside your anus.

there are no such thing as predatory gays and that is perpetuating a stereotype that really doesn't exist

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By CptChiken

All the best with your move. I've spent a lot of time in both America and Australia, you sir have has the luck to live in two awesome countries. Though obviously aus isn't terribly videogame friendly.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TentPole

@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar:

I think you were just being an ignorant fuck.

Edit: Also, xenocentrism might be what you are looking for.

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By spudtastic

Don't forget, in the US - the football is only occasionally 'kicked' and that can actually result in a penalty! Lots of "Oy!" , "Foster's", "AC/DC" ,"Men at Work" jokes to endure , I'm sure.

Im in Cleveland, and we hired Mike Holmgren - Seattle's football coach, so it depends on your priorities!

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By spudtastic

Oh yeah, we call 'chips' - 'french fries' here.They are not an invention of France. "Chips" are fried crispy cross-sliced potatoes in a bag."iowastate" is a Bomber who was a US MIL stationed in Australia, but you are more likely to reach him at Twitter these days.He lives in CA.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SmilingPig

1-Houses are really cheap right now in the States. (big plus)

2-There is an insane amount of guns in the States. (Big minus, unless you really like guns)

3- If for some reason you find out that the U.S. is not your thing, just move north to Canada.

Good luck.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By Tireyo

Hope you like it in America if you move.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MikkaQ

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

No, the third world was a term denoting countries that didn't take a side in the cold war.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By Dagbiker

@LordXavierBritish said:

Especially in Seattle?

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By habster3

@scarace360 said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

I dont think they can get any worse?

Somehow they can. And they do. Fucking monsters.