My TV = Garbage

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By TheGamerGeek

Well, for some odd reason, my TV just all of the sudden decided to turn extremely dark on me to where I couldn't see some of the darker games or any TV show. Has anybody ever had this happen to them? If so, how did you fix it?

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheGamerGeek

No?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

My TV is kind of garbage, and I fixed it by going to Newegg and buying a new one that wasn't a piece of shit. It should be arriving on Monday :-D

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheGamerGeek
Jayge said:
"My TV is kind of garbage, and I fixed it by going to Newegg and buying a new one that wasn't a piece of shit. It should be arriving on Monday :-D"
... did you read my first post?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Yeah. You should go to your TV's menu (accessible through the remote) and twiddle with the contrast and color settings and see if that helps.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGamerGeek
Jayge said:
"Yeah. You should go to your TV's menu (accessible through the remote) and twiddle with the contrast and color settings and see if that helps."
Yea, I've done that and it didn't help.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_

You may need to replace your lamp. What kind of TV is it?

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Omega

Yeah my first tv did that. My parents had it for a good 10 or 15 years after they upgraded it was put in my room.

Then a few years later it started to lose image sharpness, any text on screen would look too blurry to read.

Then it started to dim like yours is.

It eventually dimmed more and more each day until it wouldn't even turn on anymore. I'm sorry to say that from what your describing your tv doesn't have much time left.
Just try to keep it comfortable and enjoy the last few weeks you have left with it.

...Then go out and get a 50" widescreen 1080p with a home theatre system and a free dvd player thrown in.
What the fuck, why not buy that $200 tv stand because it just goes so well with it.

...I've lost sight with where I was going with this...

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Verdugo
Omega said:
"Yeah my first tv did that. My parents had it for a good 10 or 15 years after they upgraded it was put in my room.

Then a few years later it started to lose image sharpness, any text on screen would look too blurry to read.

It eventually dimmed more and more each day until it wouldn't even turn on anymore. I'm sorry to say that from what your describing your tv doesn't have much time left.
Just try to keep it comfortable and enjoy the last few weeks you have left with it.

...Then go out and get a 50" widescreen 1080p with a home theatre system and a free dvd player thrown in.
What the fuck, why not buy that $200 tv stand because it just goes so well with it.

...I've lost sight with where I was going with this..."

I fucking loled.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

How old is it, is it still in warranty? Did you buy a guarantee with it? If either are true then phone up either the guarantee company or the manufacturer and get it fixed/replaced. If neither is true, go buy a new TV.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail
Omega said:
"Yeah my first tv did that. My parents had it for a good 10 or 15 years after they upgraded it was put in my room.

...I've lost sight with where I was going with this..."
The story of my new TV set.
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By OGCartman

Some lights burnt out / broken at the back.
If the TV is worth over 700$ you should get an estimate (would cost about $100+ to fix on average)

If not, get a new TV.

(Im pretty sure its the lights, but not certain, either way, get a new tv lol)

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Lunarbunny

If it's a CRT, the tube's (either the electron gun or phosphor) is most likely going bad, it's probably not worth it to do anything but buy something else.

If it's an LCD, the backlight is probably dying/one of them may have died. Repair may be an option for cheaper than replacement.

If it's plasma, the phosphor is probably burning out. Probably needs a replacement.

If it's rear projection, the bulb probably needs replacement.

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By thanatos990

uhhhh Sony Tv's alwayz