ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss

Terrible news.

But to be fair, you can't expect IPs to actually come up with fair and intelligent ways to maintain their ungodly profits can you?
I mean, sure everyone's cancelling cable and in lieu of services like Netflix, but you don't really think IPs are to blame just because they offer archaic, overpriced services do you?

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Gilsham

GG time to start the internet again

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

I really don't know why you think net neutrality is a liberal owned issue. It falls outside of party lines, mostly because both sides are too out of touch to fully understand it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Wonder how 4chan will react to this... 'Tis a sad day for the internets :'(

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano

This may honestly be my greatest fear come to life.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

And Google has instantly undone anything good they've ever done for the internet.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

I'd be fine with this if the major providers actually GAVE US FAST INTERNET FOR A DECENT PRICE. 

But they don't, and now they're going to stack charges on top of that. 

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU 
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU 
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

ENGAGE THE DARKNET  

DIVE DIVE DIVE

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm

It looks like I'll make my trip to Japan permanent instead of just a visit.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE

You know it's funny. The entire constitutional right of Americans to bear arms is so that the people can overthrow their corrupt government if need be. The problem is that Americans never utilize this right in the proper way, instead they whine about it at a recreational level instead of at a fundamental level. Combined with the fact that America is so dumbed down, the country is pretty much a prime example of why democracy isn't only a failure in a country where the majority is composed of half-retards, but that democracy in such a nation is downright dangerous. If this shit get's exported to other countries (I can see this happening in Canada with the US-dick suckers we have in government right now) I will be very pissed at you America. Very pissed indeed.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By melcene
  • So... I came to this thread and I was going to try to argue the other side of it.  But I wanted to have my ducks in a row.  I know that Comcast (my current provider) already has a bandwidth usage limit in effect of 250gb.  I got into my account info to see if I could track down my recent bandwidth usage.  Sure enough, I was able to find it.... and it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.....

•  
 Guess I ought to start worrying about this.           

I blame patching WoW.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mazik765

My girlfriend and I were just talking last night about how for a bunch of companies that provide us with one of the biggest advancements in communications tech in the last century, they sure don't understand anything about what they're doing (or at least that's how it appears to me as a consumer, based on the way my IP treats me)

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By beej

They're still considering this right? It's not been decided on? Is there still hope?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
@RsistncE said:

" You know it's funny. The entire constitutional right of Americans to bear arms is so that the people can overthrow their corrupt government if need be. The problem is that Americans never utilize this right in the proper way, instead they whine about it at a recreational level instead of at a fundamental level. Combined with the fact that America is so dumbed down, the country is pretty much a prime example of why democracy isn't only a failure in a country where the majority is composed of half-retards, but that democracy in such a nation is downright dangerous. If this shit get's exported to other countries (I can see this happening in Canada with the US-dick suckers we have in government right now) I will be very pissed at you America. Very pissed indeed. "

And of course, if it happens in Canada, it won't be the fault of Canadian citizens so much as these cocksucking leaders. But every individual in America is responsible for this happening here. You're a real dullard you know that. I suppose every war Canada's helped America in they were "dragged into" by cock-sucking politicians as well. How nice for you, having a bogeyman to the south that relinquishes any kind of personal responsibility you have for your nation's state.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Obama again displays his incomprehensible superpower of being on the wrong side of every single issue. 

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By chstupid

They blocked websites and now this!?! 
It's time to find a new internet

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE
@ryanwho said:
" @RsistncE said:

" You know it's funny. The entire constitutional right of Americans to bear arms is so that the people can overthrow their corrupt government if need be. The problem is that Americans never utilize this right in the proper way, instead they whine about it at a recreational level instead of at a fundamental level. Combined with the fact that America is so dumbed down, the country is pretty much a prime example of why democracy isn't only a failure in a country where the majority is composed of half-retards, but that democracy in such a nation is downright dangerous. If this shit get's exported to other countries (I can see this happening in Canada with the US-dick suckers we have in government right now) I will be very pissed at you America. Very pissed indeed. "

And of course, if it happens in Canada, it won't be the fault of Canadian citizens so much as these cocksucking leaders. But every individual in America is responsible for this happening here. You're a real dullard you know that. I suppose every war Canada's helped America in they were "dragged into" by cock-sucking politicians as well. How nice for you, having a bogeyman to the south that relinquishes any kind of personal responsibility you have for your nation's state. "
Canadian citizens can't stop their officials from getting "ideas". I'm saying that I don't even want this shit to be considered in my country because it is outright fucking wrong in every way imaginable. Reality much?
Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lavapotamus

The first article mentions these new laws are being 'considered' by the FCC. Is there any indication as to how likely they are to approve these proposed laws?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho
@RsistncE: I forget sometimes you guys still have a monarch on your money. Then someone like you comes by and makes it obvious how uncomfortable you are with the idea of Canada being responsible for its own actions.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cookiemonster

And they're hoping to do the same in the uk. Shit.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By nick_verissimo
@melcene: If you think that's bad, than consider the reality of sharing a 60 GB cap between me and my 3 roommates.  It's not great...
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pinworm45
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" Obama again displays his incomprehensible superpower of being on the wrong side of every single issue.  "
Don't worry, dude. Hope. Change. 

You're just a racist.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

In your first month of presidency, you're shown secret papers that reveal a reality capable of turning you on every issue. 

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3_James
@RsistncE said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @RsistncE said:

And of course, if it happens in Canada, it won't be the fault of Canadian citizens so much as these cocksucking leaders. But every individual in America is responsible for this happening here. You're a real dullard you know that. I suppose every war Canada's helped America in they were "dragged into" by cock-sucking politicians as well. How nice for you, having a bogeyman to the south that relinquishes any kind of personal responsibility you have for your nation's state. "
Canadian citizens can't stop their officials from getting "ideas". I'm saying that I don't even want this shit to be considered in my country because it is outright fucking wrong in every way imaginable. Reality much? "
We can poison their maple syrup.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RsistncE
@ryanwho said:

" @RsistncE: I forget sometimes you guys still have a monarch on your money. Then someone like you comes by and makes it obvious how uncomfortable you are with the idea of Canada being responsible for its own actions. "

I'm not even sure what to say to this. The sheer level of rhetoric in that statement makes me want to stab myself repeatedly in the face. Why do you even reply with one liners that no one can actually respond to in any civil manner? I mean, it's obvious enough that Canada is a fully sovereign nation (I imagine they DO teach you that at least in your geography courses...even if you can't point out most major countries on a map), so is it even really anything that needs to be brought up? Probably not, it's just that you choose to aggravate people instead of actually try to rebut the original statement in the first place and that was that the US stands in a position where it heavily influences the domestic and foreign policy of other countries. Pretty much fact. 

@Th3_James:                        o_O 

Fucking brilliant, I never even thought about it that way. BRB.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ninjakiller
PenguinDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PenguinDoctor
@ninjakiller said:
"   Unsurprising considering that Obama has turned out to be another Democrat in name only, and is far too willing to side with Republicans rather than his own party.  "

What?  Under what facts have you come to this result?
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm
@PenguinDoctor said:
" @ninjakiller said:
"   Unsurprising considering that Obama has turned out to be another Democrat in name only, and is far too willing to side with Republicans rather than his own party.  "
What?  Under what facts have you come to this result? "
Paying attention to the news would be a good start...
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By melcene
@Lavapotamus said:
" The first article mentions these new laws are being 'considered' by the FCC. Is there any indication as to how likely they are to approve these proposed laws? "
I was going to bring up the same - but there must already be something similar in effect if I have a legal 250GB cap on my bandwidth usage.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ninjakiller
@PenguinDoctor said:
" @ninjakiller said:
What?  Under what facts have you come to this result? "
Really? Have you not been paying attention for the past 2 years?  On every single progressive issue he's taken to throwing liberals under the bus while chasing the mythical "moderate vote" and all he has to show for it is the country voting those who got us into this economic mess in the first place back into power.   

Not to mention inaction on repealing DoMA, DaDT, climate change legislation.  The key piece of the healthcare bill, that everyone must have insurance, is the same one Republicans presented back in the 90s, yet now they're so bat-shit crazy that they won't even acknowledge it. 
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McGhee
@RsistncE said:
" @ryanwho said:

" @RsistncE: I forget sometimes you guys still have a monarch on your money. Then someone like you comes by and makes it obvious how uncomfortable you are with the idea of Canada being responsible for its own actions. "

I'm not even sure what to say to this. The sheer level of rhetoric in that statement makes me want to stab myself repeatedly in the face. Why do you even reply with one liners that no one can actually respond to in any civil manner? I mean, it's obvious enough that Canada is a fully sovereign nation (I imagine they DO teach you that at least in your geography courses...even if you can't point out most major countries on a map), so is it even really anything that needs to be brought up? Probably not, it's just that you choose to aggravate people instead of actually try to rebut the original statement in the first place and that was that the US stands in a position where it heavily influences the domestic and foreign policy of other countries. Pretty much fact. 

@Th3_James:                        o_O  Fucking brilliant, I never even thought about it that way. BRB. "
If you think that Canada is a "fully sovereign nation", then you haven't been paying attention.   http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE4B34BC20081204
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalm

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6B00AB20101201  

This is a less biased view of the entire situation for those interested in a less extremist view. 

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By benjaebe
@Napalm said:

" http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6B00AB20101201   This is a less biased view of the entire situation for those interested in a less extremist view.  "

Thanks for a more reasonable source. Everyone seems to be jumping to a lot of conclusions, especially since there's already a lot of resistance from both republican members and even some of the democrat members on the FCC. The Republican's are against it because it's anti-business, and the Democrats are concerned it's not a good enough bill.

In addition, this piece from the Washington Post explains some more:
  http://voices.washingtonpost.com/posttech/2010/12/fcc_chair_announces_net_neutra.html
 Particularly the part where it says: 

The proposal bars the operators of broadband lines into homes from blocking Web sites, applications or any devices that attach to their networks. It would also prevent carriers from “unreasonable discrimination” that would, for example, serve up Comcast’s Internet video service Xfinity faster and at better quality than that of rival Netflix.

For wireless networks, the rules are weaker. Mobile carriers such as Sprint Nextel, AT&T and T-Mobile would be prohibited from blocking competing voice and video applications such as Skype, Google Voice or Slingplayer. But wireless providers wouldn’t have the same rules against prioritizing certain applications and sites on their networks like cable and telecom firms.

Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Phog_of_War

Hmm, yes, strange sort of Govermental setup in Canada. 

Apparently, the Sun STILL Doesen't Set on the British Empire. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho
@ninjakiller said:

" @ryanwho said:

" I really don't know why you think net neutrality is a liberal owned issue. It falls outside of party lines, mostly because both sides are too out of touch to fully understand it. "

Oh bullshit.  Back when Obama actually stood for real Network Neutrality Republicans brayed loudly for their corporate interests.   "
So back when he was campaigning, he stood for it. Can you find a dem passionately fighting for it who isn't campaigning? Or do we just assume when they sit in a corner silent they're pro the issue? Cus they tend to do that no matter what. If this was a partisan issue, this legislation wouldn't be passed because dems still have the electrate and the Senate. Unless they're just woefully incompetent.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By raviolisumo

Can someone tell me what this actually means? If it's just that people/companies can see what you look at, what's the big deal?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By toowalrus

Luckily this hasn't effected me yet, It would be a nightmare in this house, we've got 3 dudes playing WoW full time, 5 dudes contributing with all the porn that gets downloaded, not to mention the parents.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jack268
@Wes899 said:
" Can someone tell me what this actually means? If it's just that people/companies can see what you look at, what's the big deal? "
I think it's about the pricing so that they could make your costs scale by how much you download. 

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? I'm in Sweden anyway we already have Ubernet 2.0
audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By audiosnow

This is yet another complex issue because it delves into a "necessary" product arena. Access to the internet has become as critical a part of everyday life as vehicular or aeronautical transportation. 

I believe that companies should have the freedom to provide the services, and at such prices, as they deem appropriate. That is integrated into the foundation of America. Freedom of speech, press, business. Just as a corporation is free to set exorbitant prices, so we are free to shop elsewhere. Demand drives prices, and prices drive demand; the basis of capitalism. The problem appears when a select few control the entire market, and there is no outside price pressure. Such is the case with the oil, airline, and ISP industries. Now, bringing in governmental "iron fist" tactics is the usual method of breaking down this hint of communism, but this is simply a case of market control being handed from the business to the government. 

The only way to truly combat this issue is for new competition to be introduced into the market, and for consumers to take action. Wal-Mart falls when people stop merely complaining about it, and actually start shopping elsewhere.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HubrisRanger
@Jack268 said:

" @Wes899 said:

" Can someone tell me what this actually means? If it's just that people/companies can see what you look at, what's the big deal? "
I think it's about the pricing so that they could make your costs scale by how much you download.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong? I'm in Sweden anyway we already have Ubernet 2.0 "
Sort of. Wikipedia has a pretty simple explanation of it: "The principle states that if a given user pays for a certain level of Internet access, and another user pays for the same level of access, then the two users should be able to connect to each other at the subscribed level of access." The issue at hand is that web providers want to ratchet back just how much data you can have streaming in, in hopes of charging more if you access more (IE, bandwidth caps; you already see this pretty regularly with cell phone network services). The current FCC engagement is suggesting that companies be able to put tiered caps on how much people are able to access, but specifically states that internet service providers can't control WHAT the end-user is accessing. 
BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BombKareshi
@melcene said:
"
  • So... I came to this thread and I was going to try to argue the other side of it.  But I wanted to have my ducks in a row.  I know that Comcast (my current provider) already has a bandwidth usage limit in effect of 250gb.  I got into my account info to see if I could track down my recent bandwidth usage.  Sure enough, I was able to find it.... and it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.....

•  
 Guess I ought to start worrying about this.            I blame patching WoW. "
The weird thing is here in my country I'm concerned about my monthly 5GB cap.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jack268
@BombKareshi: 5.. Gigabytes? a month? for your broadband? What kind of country is that?
Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lab392
HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HubrisRanger
@mlarrabee While I agree with your (very well written) argument in theory, I think it breaks down a bit in practice. Absolutely "free" capitalism has proven time and time again that if a system can create an oligopoly, it almost invariably will. And in the case of ISP, the buy-in cost for someone to step into the possible advantage of offering an alternative to existing services is so large, that it makes you Wal-Mart versus local option analogy feel a bit moot.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic

ouch

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm not the protesting kind, but if they touched my neutral internet here in the UK I would be leading the riots. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Diamond

Within 50 years the internet will be divided by countries and walled garden set top boxes and handhelds anyways.  These last decades were the wild west era of the internet.  Surely you see how the powers that be cannot let this thing slide.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By audiosnow
@HubrisRanger: Unfortunately, far too true. As for the inevitable decline of capitalism to highly selective monopoly, I couldn't agree more. For we the consumers, myself included, nearly always take the easiest (most monopolized) path to attain products and services. So what is the most viable solution? I've not the foggiest...