Netflix is now 15.98 if you want to have streaming and DVDs.

• 73 results
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

Just thought you'd guys want to know that Netflix is separating the unlimited streaming and 1 DVD plan. Now they will charge 7.99 for each.  

Bad news but I guess they have to with the movie studios being dicks.  

Will you guys drop Netflix? Keep it but drop DVDs or streaming? If their streaming had all the movies that are only on DVD it would be fine, but they are not.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Maluvin

I've been using the streaming option only for awhile and it works for my needs.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sanity

Yea, i switched to streaming only months ago.

Natedogg2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Natedogg2

Well, time to drop DVDs then. I don't watch many DVDs anyways (I have one right next to me that's been sitting here for two months). Kinda sucks because there's a few things that I'd like to watch on DVD, but I'll survive.

EDIT: Oh, the price increase won't happen until Sept. 1st for me. Well, then I can still get a few disks while it's cheaper.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

But lets face it- all you really want is the streaming, right? I've already dropped my disc plan, as soon as I was able too.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lemmycaution217

That is a bummer. I will probably drop the DVD plan.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pinworm45

Honestly, Netflix is so incredibly cheap for the content it gives, it's kind of worth it. 

Having said that I live in Canada and they don't do DVDs here so streaming 1/100th of their library for me.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SlightConfuse

i mostly use the streaming while my family uses the DVD's so i will keep it for now

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By yetiantics

With Redbox(es) around the corner nowadays, it's safe to drop the DVD subscriptions and go "streaming only".

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

GODDAMNIT!

And that's all I have to say about that.

(At least I'll have time to see the rest of the Clone Wars series by then...)

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Ha, that's funny. I told my friend yesterday he needs to pay for a better Netflix subscription since all he can ever stream is the bottom of the barrel straight-to-DVD bargain bin movies. Looks like he's going to have to pay more for what he already has.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DougQuaid

The first time they upped the price of what was then their basic plan (unlimited streaming + 1 dvd) I switched to streaming only and never looked back.

Okari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Okari

I was just thinking of downgrading to one disc, but now that it's going to be the same price as my current plan, it looks like I'm either going to have to drop DVDs all together or drop Blu-Ray. 
Does anyone know what happens to your DVD queue if you go streaming only? Does it completely disappear, making it to where if you ever went back to a DVD plan you would have to manually add every movie back to your queue?

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kyle

That's disappointing news. Not long ago, you could get 1 DVD and unlimited streaming for $8. I suppose you could probably make the case that streaming has a lot more quality content than it used to though.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This actually makes Redbox make a lot more sense.  I can get Streaming on Netflix and get up to 8 DVDs a month from Redbox at the same price as Netflix, without the wait of mail.  Also it would be about the same amount of DVDs a month, as I usually am only able to get around 8 DVDs with the one DVD plan because of shipping times.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daveyo520
@TooWalrus said:
But lets face it- all you really want is the streaming, right? I've already dropped my disc plan, as soon as I was able too.
Well ya, I really only want streaming BUT some movies just aren't on it. That is the only thing the DVDs are good for. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By EpicSteve

I saw a crazy-persons comment on IGN, that was kind of funny and true. He was saying that Netflix goes about to put all the major rental stores out of business, then will proceed to charge whatever they want.

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Owlhead

It's the principle of the thing that pisses me off. The fact that there is no grandfathering of longtime customers (such as myself) or a discount for both dvd and streaming is just...... dissapointing.

Also, hi GiantBomb forum.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NickBOTT

UGHHHHHH

uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uvschism

Yeah, just got that email.. I think I'll discontinue discs, though that means I'll pretty much NEVER see a blu-ray.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By CosmicQueso

@EpicSteve said:

I saw a crazy-persons comment on IGN, that was kind of funny and true. He was saying that Netflix goes about to put all the major rental stores out of business, then will proceed to charge whatever they want.

Not crazy.

But with HBO Go and the cable networks doing the streaming Netflix has its own bit of competition coming down the road.

P.S. I cut the cord with Netflix about a month ago and it's a glorious freedom.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SSValis

I cancelled Netflix last month because the instant streaming selection is garbage.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iDarktread

Hollywood Video is gone, Blockbuster is dying, and Redbox... meh, not enough content. I was just about to sign up for the +$2 a month for Blu-Rays too, but if I am to keep their streaming (assuming their new plan doesn't change the existing additions too much), it would cost $18 a month, which is just too expensive. I mean, $216 yearly? On top of an internet connect?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Devil240Z

shit gotta drop dvds.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By l4wd0g

The movie studios are going to learn that they need to stop producing shit, and Netflix is the only thing that keeps people form pirating the movies.

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve said:

Sounds like a monopoly similar in fashion to AT&T.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I did a trial of Netflix and never returned the DVD I rented.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Simplexity

Wish stuff like this was available in my country, on of the few downsides of living in Norway :(

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Justin258

I only just now started the trial. It sucks that not everything is streamed. Dammit there are some things that I want to watch NOW! 

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to pay a bit more. Sucks bawlz, but it's either that or actually buy the movie outright. And I don't wanna do that! I usually only watch movies once, maybe twice.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By James_ex_machina

I've "read" that Netflix is starting to get nailed by ISP's for the bandwidth and they need to make up for the loss. It's believable to me that this is the cause. I rarely use the DVD/Bluray part of my plan but the streaming stuff doesn't update enough for me. Although I'm not happy about the price hike, I'm sticking with Netflix for now because I'm still saving $50 - $100 a month not having cable. If/when ISP start nailing US for the bandwidth we use then I'll rethink my Netflix plan.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By xpgamer7

I get my DVDs to see the special features for movies such as Buried. With this I'll probably go for the greater cost, and I understand why although It still feels unfortunate.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By subject2change

Always was streaming only. however was planning on doing 1 DVD as well, but am not gonna do that anymore. Need to cancel my cable as well.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By williamhenry

I don't mind paying a few bucks extra to keep streaming+DVDs but I don't want to pay double. The streaming selection just isn't good enough. I'll probably stick to the 2 DVD at a time plan once this kicks in.

flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By flannelbeard

and cable is still like $100 bucks a month. while i might drop dvd's cause i don't use them, its still a good price for a great service. (now if they start showing ads i will flat out stop using netflix).

WEB_War4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WEB_War4

My cable bill is $180 a month. $120 of that is the tv stuff. So … $18 a month is too expensive?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By crusader8463

Netflix only does Streaming anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Daveyo520
@makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto said:
@EpicSteve said:

No it is because the movie studios are making them pay more and hate Netflix. They are the ones who want more money.  Pachter estimates they will have to be paying billions of dollars for rights when their contact expires at the end of the year. 
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Daveyo520 said:
@makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto said:
@EpicSteve said:

No it is because the movie studios are making them pay more and hate Netflix. They are the ones who want more money.  Pachter estimates they will have to be paying billions of dollars for rights when their contact expires at the end of the year. 
So what about guys like RedBox and DirecTV- where do they fit in?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

well that sucks. i don't have netflix. i think they should keep the price that they have before.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Marz

I got rid of DVD's when they first offered streaming only option.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrKlorox

Well there goes my PS3 usage entirely now that I'm gonna have to drop blu-rays. What a wasted investment.

supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By supercubedude

People get DVDs from Netflix?

Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrKlorox said:

Well there goes my PS3 usage entirely now that I'm gonna have to drop blu-rays. What a wasted investment.

Not really, since the internet COULD go down at any given moment... weather and terrorism pending, of course.
Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jazzycola

For one I understand netflix for making their DVD rentals separate from streaming. Postage for the DVDs probably costs 10 times(maybe double that) more than the bandwidth required to stream a movie. And honestly the idea that Netflix has a monopoly is not true. There's still Amazon Instant video(included free with amazon prime), cable, still some movie rental places(Hastings, Redbox etc.), and the biggest one the internet period. If there isn't affordable ways of getting content then people will resort to free streaming sites or torrents. Sure there is a streaming bill in Congress right now but the language of it isn't exactly clear like whether or not it will be restricted to people that try to make money off of it or will anyone that streams the video be prosecuted. If there is anyone that should be called out for monopoly's its the movie studios, television studios, cable and internet providers. All of which only have maybe 3 or 4 big competitors.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Daveyo520
@makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto: Redbox doesn't do streaming and DirectTV doesn't do DVDs. DirectTV and cable companies also charge like 5 dollars per rental that last 24 hours with no unlimited thing.
Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Daroki

@uvschism said:

Yeah, just got that email.. I think I'll discontinue discs, though that means I'll pretty much NEVER see a blu-ray.

Never had the blu-ray option on Netflix which is sad in a way since my PS3 has never had a blu-ray movie in it. I probably should have dropped to just the streaming option since I've had True Blood Vol 1 sitting on my desk for nearly five months and haven't bothered watching it or wanting anything else. Meanwhile my wife uses the streaming option near continuously.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Daveyo520
@supercubedude: Because some things are not on streaming and DVD only.
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FacelessVixen

I'm unemployed and broke as fuck, so I might cancel of not just use one or the other.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By fox01313

Not a big world changing event, especially when you used to be part of the 2-3 disc plan before the streaming thing went big. For me it just went back to the original price for 1 disc plus streaming (as there's some things that aren't available streaming).

proggykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By proggykins

I've had a disc of The Wire sitting on my desk for the past month. The last DVD I got from Netflix was probably on my desk for 3 months. Nevertheless, I'm still going to keep the disc option because it's only six dollars more, and I like having the ability to watch stuff that may never go on streaming.

What I don't understand is the people complaining about the price increase. It used to be ten dollars, now it's sixteen. Ben Kuchera worded it better, but basically, if you can afford high speed internet, a television, and a Netflix subscription, you're doing something wrong if you're really hurting for six bucks at the end of the month.