Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By EpicSteve
@DCFGS3 said:
" Is it bad I can't really tell the difference between HD and SD....? "
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you've never seen HD on a decent modern TV. If so, then yeah...that's terrible.
spect21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By spect21

3D seems like a cash cow, I really hope it will not catch as a "trend-setter"

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'd say 3D is starting to appear, but I doubt it will become something as necessary to a home theater as something like a DVD Player.

The next step is probably higher definition. As good as it looks now, TV's will probably get bigger soon, and need something higher than 1080p. Maybe someday, we will see 2080p.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By theguy

If you asked someone in 1999 if tvs could be better they would say no way. It's the same with us, we wont believe it will get better but it will. 
EDIT: By this I mean clearer pictures and higher resolutions.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Coombs said:
" Not 3D. God please not 3D...... "
I share the feeling.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Geno

Higher resolutions are always possible. The current 1080p standard is ~2 Megapixels which is actually relatively low. Most hardware sites are already benchmarking in 1600p and have for a while. Backlighting and pixel quality are also areas that could be largely developed. Currently AMOLED and yellow-filtered pixels (to supplement the long-existing RGB standard) are on the horizon. 

In addition to that 3D technology will be going through fast-paced change in the next 10-20 years. Autosteroscopism (autostereoscopy?) will be something to aim for as well, along with all of its derivatives such as full on Holo-vision. Intel is currently working on a system right now to build 3D models out of 2D samples.   

Touch, gesture and facial recognition technology (thus not requiring a remote, or able to predict your viewing habits) is also a possibility. 
BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
@afrofools: Agreed on that, totatlly happy with a bravia. 
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By jNerd

HD can always get more HD. We just need better technology. I think, one day, tv picture will be indistinguishable from reality.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By luce

Real-D

If you know what I mean

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By iam3green

it looks like 3D HD. we are really not in a full HD universe yet. older and poorer people have not yet gotten an HD tv yet. HD has not been fully accepted to people yet. cable charges extra to watch channels in HD. once that comes down to be normal than it will be great. video games don't run in full HD yet. they run more like in 540p and upscale everything to 720p and 1080p. the next thing is going to be like 2000p and 3D, in a side step. 

soon in the future we are going to be able to see and hear what people are thinking. it is going to be great. the resolution is going to be so big that their brains are going to show.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By jakob187

UD. 

Ultra Definition!!!

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By face15

3D. 
Why everyone be hating on 3D? Why damn it? 
Having 3D gaming and TV like in Avatar where the 3D (for me at least) didn't affect the image quality and simply added depth to the actual image, rather than the old skool throw shit the the audience constantly move, would be absolutely amazing... I can just imagine watching me some LOST or playing me some Uncharted 2 with relative depth to the image. 
Dude, yes. 3D fo life, motherlickers!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It's already been discussed here, but I'll link it again:-

It's called SuperHiVision and it's already in Japan.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By GreggD
@SeriouslyNow: When exactly will that resolution need to be used? If you have a gigantic TV? I was talking with a friend of mine who deals in HDTV on a daily basis, and he said that anything less than 42" only needs 720p, because you really can't tell a huge difference whatsoever if you go any higher. Of course, I'm not saying his word is the golden truth or de facto standard, but it seems about right.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@GreggD said:
" @SeriouslyNow: When exactly will that resolution need to be used? If you have a gigantic TV? I was talking with a friend of mine who deals in HDTV on a daily basis, and he said that anything less than 42" only needs 720p, because you really can't tell a huge difference whatsoever if you go any higher. Of course, I'm not saying his word is the golden truth or de facto standard, but it seems about right. "
Your friend is referring to the 'golden rule for 1.5metre viewing distance' and in my technical opinion it's crap.  I'm 2.5 metres from my Samsung Series 6 32" LCD TV and I can see a wealth of difference between 720p and 1080p content.  720p is actually an annoyingly low resolution for my eyes, so much so that I can't even be bothered to use my 360 anymore and I also use a 17" laptop with a 1920x1200 screen too.  The golden rule is something which retailers use to convince people that 720p sets are still worthy of retail which is something that, while I can understand it from a retailer's perspective (need to sell older stock, need for market separation and so on), I don't support.  720p is a dead resolution to me and it's important to realise that both 720p and 1080i were supported in retail TVs as far back as 1999 with Faroudja and Loewe being two of the first manufacturers to release supporting models.  The actual broadcast technology for these resolution standards dates back to the early 1970s!

Super Hi-Vision / U HD TVs start out at 42" minimum (most likely due to panel build limitations, ie they can't make high resolution panels any smaller while keeping them cost effective) but were SHV/UHD really matters is that its pixel dot pitch is almost 100% smaller than 1080p capable sets and so you will definitely see a difference compared to 1080p content, regardless of screen size.  Smaller pixels means more information displayed at once.  Think digital cameras and how much a difference is between an SVGA capable camera (1024x768) and those with print capable CCDs (10mega pixels and above).  Think about about how much better a 22MP camera is vs a 12MP.  There's a reason why digital cameras like the Canon EOS 5D are used by professionals.  Resolution isn't everything of course, but when used appropriately; content and screen resolution matches or CCD Mega Pixel count and Lens capability matches, it can be the difference between a good visual experience and a great, true to life visual experience.  UHD will also improve 3D experiences too because more pixel space will mean greater capability to add more 'layers' and 'angles' to the overall experience.  It's the reason why Avatar is the premiere 3D Cinema experience because it was planned, shot, rendered and projected at a really high resolution.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By GreggD
@SeriouslyNow: Whatever you say.