• 52 results
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

Ok not really. But, what if the government really just said fuck it and just left. But kept the military here to protect the borders. What would you think would happen in this kind of scenario?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Then chaos ensues and people would die.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think it would be to long of an arduous task that they'd be forced to stay.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

I'm thinking it would be chaos at first. The smart people would find ways to protect their families and earn money. While the dumb ass' would end up looting and just get themselves killed real easily through greed. Kind of like Red Dead Redemption before the government tried taking over.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By trophyhunter

monkeys, rocket, death

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski

Riots would ensue and the rednecks would be the surviving subculture.  They live off the land, don't care about hygiene, love guns, and reproduce like rabbits.  They are America's future.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ArcLyte
@ch13696: this is a ridiculous question, fyi
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

I imagine that people would realize the need for some type of leadership, and a basic form of government would arise.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I'm going to the midwest, live on some farm and avoid everything.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

It would be like the Whiskey Media subscription cataclysm of 2010- except 100x worse.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Ravenousrattler

As retarded as the government is, it would be worse without it. I imagine alot of mad max shit goin on.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dalai

I expect pigs to grow wings and fly across the land spreading the news of the end of the government.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

Anarchists around the nation would rise up in triumph, and then immediately start bitching about the lack of certain basic needs due to there being no governing structure to provide them.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Popogeejo

Government is a naturally occurring phenomenon. If one gov walks out a new one would take it's place, or more realistically, several would and then they'd kill eachother until they can settle on border disputes. In America's case it'd break down into hundreds of feudal states/city states at first (assuming all levels of the government go away) and eventually they would unify out of practicality (trade and resource sharing) before forming their own governments and deciding where to go from there.
You literally can't get rid of Government, just like you can't get rid of the police. Societies naturally create them in some form or another.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By damnboyadvance

Depends on which level. Like if it was just the federal government, state governments would probably take over.

If it was the whole government, then either people would organize and govern themselves, or there would be chaos.

It'd would probably make the U.S. more vulnerable to an attack, as well.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RJMacReady

Personally i believe the only thing that facilitates the existence of government is the belief that you need special people to domesticate you. All the shitty things that people fear can happen do with governments. To Quote Weber and Doug North, a government is a monopoly of violence.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By WickedCestus

I would rise to power. I'd take the five-minute drive into America from my house and pick up all the pieces to create the fucking worst-run place imaginable.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45

Very minor chaos and riots would ensue but not last for long as the police and military would attempt to create stability long enough for a new government to form.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Animasta

canada would be either fucked as all hell or the new rulers of north america

hard to say, really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would go to shit pretty quickly. Probably faster than in other countries due to the amount of firearms readily available and the fact that most Americans have a severe "Rambo" complex. Most of us would be all too eager to fuck each other up.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Feser

Are you a future novelist or something that plans on selling  books at 7/11?
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Mexican border gangs take over.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By MarkWahlberg

30-40% of the population would die of starvation, disease, etc. in about a year, 15% would be murdered,  20% would form communities in cities and such, and the rest would be nomadic; land pirates and such.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mazik765
@Video_Game_King said:
" I imagine that people would realize the need for some type of leadership, and a basic form of government would arise. "
This. Governments arose for a reason and if we removed them they would eventually begin to form and develop again.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By meteora

A bit of chaos. It wouldn't take too long until most of the states reunite together under a new government, out of practicability. I can imagine the southern states being a bit more reluctant to join up with the rest of the states however.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

With no government who pays the military your logic is deeply flawed.   What if President Obama revealed that not only is Tupac alive but that he and Obama are the same dude. It is also revealed that Andy Kaufman is Joe Lieberman.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

#27  Edited By MikeinSC
@RJMacReady said:
" Personally i believe the only thing that facilitates the existence of government is the belief that you need special people to domesticate you. All the shitty things that people fear can happen do with governments. To Quote Weber and Doug North, a government is a monopoly of violence. "
True. It seems intellectually dubious to assume people who would do evil as part of a government would cease doing so without one.
dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dantheman1515
@ch13696: America just like every other nation is filled with 95 percent of its population being morons. If it was for the other 5 percent, the masses would be slinging shit at one another. That is why there is government and religion. Tools to keep those too stupid and incompetent in check so life can go on. As you can see by this comment I am very elitist.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

How, exactly, would the government suddenly get up and walk away? :|

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond

Some corporations would take over and form a new government with their military might.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikeinSC

Heck, historically, there has ALWAYS been some type of government...even at tribal levels. It's human nature. Rules are needed, otherwise the world becomes REALLY Darwinian and I doubt most would enjoy that.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FourWude

GIANT BOMB FOR US GOVERNMENT!

Official campaign motto: We can't do any worse 'cause you can't get below stupid. - Jeff Gerstmann
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikeinSC
@FourWude said:
"

GIANT BOMB FOR US GOVERNMENT!

Official campaign motto: We can't do any worse. "
Ain't that the truth?
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#34  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@ch13696 said:
" I'm thinking it would be chaos at first. The smart people would find ways to protect their families and earn money. While the dumb ass' would end up looting and just get themselves killed real easily through greed. Kind of like Red Dead Redemption before the government tried taking over. "
This.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By armaan8014

Fun

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I'm a tea partier I can support my infastructure with a gun and a hound dog!

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By blackbird415

people would freak out but at the same time things would for the most part keep going as usual. If there was chaos I know id be pissed because it would just prove many people to be hypocrites and I HATE BIG HYPOCRITES. Everyones hypocritical at some point, but Its very bothersome when someone is very hypocritical.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RJMacReady
@Diamond said:
" Some corporations would take over and form a new government with their military might. "
Corporations exert their will through policy formation by capturing regulators or legislators, this is called "rent seeking". The government behaves as a market for buying access to regulatory instruments. The only difference is it's not a direct market model but an all pay auction model, which i would argue is more insidious.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FunExplosions

It would be awesome from a bystander's perspective. The rednecks would clutch their rifles, board up their ranches, and prepare for the eventual onslaught of anarchists and thieves. No one would come, aside from the occasional neighbor looking to score some food. They'd kill a couple of their fellows, maybe even a couple anarchists looking for fun. The rest of the country would meanwhile start their move to Canada, across the sea, or even to Mexico. And America would officially be the big giant white trash stereotype that the rest of the world thinks of it as. Of course, I'm not a bystander, and I live in America. So maybe it wouldn't be all that awesome.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By copycatzen

I'd probably kill someone
mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#41  Edited By mousse_gallon

" @RJMacReady said:  
" Personally i believe the only thing that facilitates the existence of government is the belief that you need special people to domesticate you. All the shitty things that people fear can happen do with governments. To Quote Weber and Doug North, a government is a monopoly of violence. " 

This 

@MikeinSC said:  
True. It seems intellectually dubious to assume people who would do evil as part of a government would cease doing so without one. "

No government to protect them. Thats the only reason ppl that are part of the governments get away with anything is that they protect each other.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GreggD
@Ravenousrattler said:
" As retarded as the government is, it would be worse without it. I imagine alot of mad max shit goin on. "
That would give me the perfect opportunity to start wearing my leather and spike codpiece.
blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blazerx9x
@ch13696 said:
" Ok not really. But, what if the government really just said fuck it and just left. But kept the military here to protect the borders. What would you think would happen in this kind of scenario? "
That, my friend, is what anarchy is.
ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShadowKing7

Ideally, if people followed the golden rule of treat others how you would like to be treated, then people would just leave others to their business and everyone would get along.  Anarachy doesn't necessarily mean chaos, you know.  Plus, I feel that the people in government are able to get away with things because they are in power, and I have a fear of big government due to the more power it is allowed to take, the greater the chance that power will get abused at the cost of the citizens.  If you can't tell, I think politicians are fucking scumbags :) 

However, as pessimistic as I am, I think that humans are shitty in general and the stupid jackasses among us would take advantage of everything they wanted to or could think of, so the ideal place I talk about would probably be just a pipe dream.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RsistncE

1. Government Leaves 
2. Complete Anarchy Ensues 
3. ??? 
4. Profit!

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RJMacReady
@RsistncE said:
" 1. Government Leaves 2. Complete Anarchy Ensues 3. ??? 4. Profit! "
1. Goverment is installed,
2. regulatory controlls are activated over individaul behavior
3. Firms exit the market and capture regulatory instruments
4. Profit.
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Devil240Z

I like it, lets go. Boom boom pow, Away!

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RsistncE
@RJMacReady said:
" @RsistncE said:
1. Goverment is installed, 2. regulatory controlls are activated over individaul behavior 3. Firms exit the market and capture regulatory instruments4. Profit. "
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RsistncE
@RJMacReady said:
" @Diamond said:
" Some corporations would take over and form a new government with their military might. "
Corporations exert their will through policy formation by capturing regulators or legislators, this is called "rent seeking". The government behaves as a market for buying access to regulatory instruments. The only difference is it's not a direct market model but an all pay auction model, which i would argue is more insidious. "
I completely agree with you! I haven't met many other people who realize that regulation does nothing more but allow large oligopolies to continue to exist. Free market capitalism is the thing that oligopolies and monopolies fear the most I believe.
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RJMacReady
@RsistncE said:

" @RJMacReady said:

" @RsistncE said:
1. Goverment is installed, 2. regulatory controlls are activated over individaul behavior 3. Firms exit the market and capture regulatory instruments4. Profit. "
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. "
No way, every dollar invested in lobbying has a 2200 profit margin on average. If wrong is a return of 2200.00 usd for a 1 dollar initial investment then, well... what the hell is right ?

@RsistncE said:

I completely agree with you! I haven't met many other people who realize that regulation does nothing more but allow large oligopolies to continue to exist. Free market capitalism is the thing that oligopolies and monopolies fear the most I believe. "

Yeah, theres a fundamental paradox here that many advocates of government, regulation or redistributiom fail to recognize. If you create an exogenous institution that uses force to take from teh rich and give to the poor or make sure potentially destructive industry will not hurt the public you've just opened channels for it to take from teh poor and give to teh rich and sheild potentially destructive industry from consumer defection.  You don't get to open Pandora's box and only get the ideal and good contents to come out. You Don't get one without the other. If you enable a superpowerfull entity to redistribute from teh poor to the rich your fundamentally enabling it to redistribute.  The belief that a massive monopolistic institution that you cannot exit from is fundamentally a tool for the advancement of the good society or the "SPECIAL PEOPLE" exist that can effectively guide our decisions to optimal outcomes is not just nieve but suicidally masochistic.