Olivia Munn really surprised me when....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Legion_

@feliciano182: Obviously you didn't bother to read the OP. Thing is, Jessica Chobot didn't do a good on The Newsroom. Wish people on this site would actually read news stories and posts in threads before commenting.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Everyones_A_Critic: Man Jaffe is a prick, no sense of humor.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Legion_ said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Legion_: Yeah, that she U-L-G-Y

I knew you were an idiot, but come on, check your spelling at the very least. No class.

U-L-G-Y you aint go no grammar why? You ULGY?

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By SharkEthic

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Everyones_A_Critic: Man Jaffe is a prick, no sense of humor.

That's one way of looking at it, I guess. I'd argue that her behavior was totally unprofessional, saying Fail at his game 20 seconds into their interview, not looking at him while she's interviewing him and then talking about circumcision for no fucking reason...I'd be pissed off as well.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Simplexity said:

Absolutely criminal that she ever had any sort of career, you'd get more intelligent discourse talking to a fucking toaster.

I guess it goes to show that looking moderately attractive can take you pretty far.

And she is probably the 2nd best actor on the News Room behind Jeff Daniels

feliciano182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By feliciano182

@Legion_ said:

@feliciano182: Obviously you didn't bother to read the OP. Thing is, Jessica Chobot didn't do a good on The Newsroom. Wish people on this site would actually read news stories and posts in threads before commenting.

Relax friend, I was just making on a comment on what has clearly become another hate thread.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#157  Edited By Kidavenger

...she farted the entire Serbian national anthem on key at the 2009 world juniors.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By uniform
@NTM said:

So... Hold on. Let me get this straight. You sat in your couch? That must have been an "ulgy" situation.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@uniform said:

@NTM said:

So... Hold on. Let me get this straight. You sat in your couch? That must have been an "ulgy" situation.

So that's what it looks like when Danny Devito and Rita Perlman have sex?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Olivia Munn is a TV presenter. And now an actress.

I love how some of you guys get mad that presenters exist. She's not a journalist, or a consumer advocate/product reviewer. She's a presenter, it's a job. Look at Giant Bomb, Patrick is the only journalist, writing stories about events. Vinny and Drew are production, Jeff, Brad and Alex are product reviewers, first and foremost. Ryan Davis, however, is mostly just a presenter. A host. He writes virtually nothing, he reviews as much as Patrick does, his main contribution to the site is hosting; just like Olivia Munn.

You give Olivia Munn a beard, a dick, and about 200 pounds and she's Ryan Davis.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By mikey87144

She just seemed out of place on G4 from the little I watched of her. It's nice to know that she actually has talent and is not just a pretty face.

That being said Newsroom is a little too Liberal for me. Way too preachy.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By GunslingerPanda

The white-knight posts in this thread are hilarious.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By UlquioKani

@Brodehouse said:

Olivia Munn is a TV presenter. And now an actress. I love how some of you guys get mad that presenters exist. She's not a journalist, or a consumer advocate/product reviewer. She's a presenter, it's a job. Look at Giant Bomb, Patrick is the only journalist, writing stories about events. Vinny and Drew are production, Jeff, Brad and Alex are product reviewers, first and foremost. Ryan Davis, however, is mostly just a presenter. A host. He writes virtually nothing, he reviews as much as Patrick does, his main contribution to the site is hosting; just like Olivia Munn. You give Olivia Munn a beard, a dick, and about 200 pounds and she's Ryan Davis.

I would prefer for a dick, a beard and 200 pounds to be removed from Ryan Davis.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#164  Edited By Kidavenger

...she ate 6 full boxes of Corn Chex in one sitting.

No Caption Provided
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By mikey87144

@Brodehouse: Given how people feel about people like Geoff Keighly and even Ryan Seacrest you point is falling on deaf ears. I think she was compared too much to Morgan Webb on G4, a presenter who also happened to be passionate about the stuff she was presenting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144 And it's ridiculous how they feel about Seacrest and Keighley as well (although Keighley is actually capable of journalism, most of his Spike work is just being an affable host).

I would put it in the same area as being pissed with Tom Bergeron because he hosts game shows rather than perform Hamlet in the park. He's fulfilling a different role, it's ridiculous to be judging him on the same criteria as someone doing a different job.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#167  Edited By AlexW00d

I don't honestly know who Olivia Munn is, other than that she is a nerd's wet dream or something.

E: So read this thread, and either dudes really love her, or dudes really hate her, for little to no reason. Stay classy Giant Bomb.

TastyProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By TastyProphet

@Brodehouse: It's hardly that simple. The issue is she appears to have absolutely no knowledge about the field she has chosen to work in- I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but she does come across that way to a significant majority. You couldn't possibly level that sort of criticism at Ryan Davis. Ok, at a stretch, you might counter that by saying she's only associated with gaming but association still requires some level of expertise surely? Following your line of argument, it would be fine for a cardiologist to know everything about the heart but little about the blood that pumps through it. This is a bit illogical. I'm not saying all presenters should know all there is to know about every video game ever, but her total lack of knowledge just makes her look ridiculous and infuriates those that actually give a damn (I'm guessing).

She also isn't helping the cause for women who do want to be taken seriously in the industry. I can only imagine how vexing it must be for a girl who blogs about games and is genuinely passionate about the medium to then turn on the tv or whatever to see Munn shoving hot-dogs down her throat and licking PSPs (OMG gamer grrrlll for da win amiright?).

Oh, and enough of this 'she is an actress guys, doing what she has to do to have a career, you'd all do it too derp' attitude. There are plenty of actors and actresses out there who don't resort to faking an interest in something just to get their, inevitably doomed, career off the ground.

Ultimately she's a fake, a fake who runs the risk of unfairly damaging women's already tenuous reputation in the gaming medium. That's why people can't stand her. It has nothing to do with her attractiveness, or lack thereof- this thread just got derailed early on by childish retorts and personal attacks (for the record, it's one thing to take a pot shot at an already established celebrity's looks and quite another to personally, and directly, attack a forum user who at least had the courage to add a profile picture in the first place.)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#169  Edited By musubi

@TastyProphet: You pretty much nailed my sentiment. The discussion and peoples problem with my comment is exactly my issue with her. She trades on trying to get by with her looks just perpetuates the issue and that sucks because there ARE really talented females out there who don't have to pander to audiences with their looks to get by. And that is the reason she irritates me.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TastyProphet: I would hardly call her career doomed, being in a HBO series as one of the main characters been in one of the biggest grossing movies of the year. She never licked a PSP, that was Jessica Chobot. You can hardly hate on someone who was being directed by the fine producers at G4 as a stepping stone into show business industry.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By UlquioKani

@TastyProphet: Your issues with them are the fault of the people who chose to employ them.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TastyProphet said:

@Brodehouse: It's hardly that simple. The issue is she appears to have absolutely no knowledge about the field she has chosen to work in- I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but she does come across that way to a significant majority. You couldn't possibly level that sort of criticism at Ryan Davis. Ok, at a stretch, you might counter that by saying she's only associated with gaming but association still requires some level of expertise surely? Following your line of argument, it would be fine for a cardiologist to know everything about the heart but little about the blood that pumps through it. This is a bit illogical. I'm not saying all presenters should know all there is to know about every video game ever, but her total lack of knowledge just makes her look ridiculous and infuriates those that actually give a damn (I'm guessing).

She also isn't helping the cause for women who do want to be taken seriously in the industry. I can only imagine how vexing it must be for a girl who blogs about games and is genuinely passionate about the medium to then turn on the tv or whatever to see Munn shoving hot-dogs down her throat and licking PSPs (OMG gamer grrrlll for da win amiright?).

Oh, and enough of this 'she is an actress guys, doing what she has to do to have a career, you'd all do it too derp' attitude. There are plenty of actors and actresses out there who don't resort to faking an interest in something just to get their, inevitably doomed, career off the ground.

Ultimately she's a fake, a fake who runs the risk of unfairly damaging women's already tenuous reputation in the gaming medium. That's why people can't stand her. It has nothing to do with her attractiveness, or lack thereof- this thread just got derailed early on by childish retorts and personal attacks (for the record, it's one thing to take a pot shot at an already established celebrity's looks and quite another to personally, and directly, attack a forum user who at least had the courage to add a profile picture in the first place.)

@Demoskinos said:

@TastyProphet: You pretty much nailed my sentiment. The discussion and peoples problem with my comment is exactly my issue with her. She trades on trying to get by with her looks just perpetuates the issue and that sucks because there ARE really talented females out there who don't have to pander to audiences with their looks to get by. And that is the reason she irritates me.

This really smells of Demoskinos making up a new account to defend his position and himself. That would be crazy right?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By musubi

@Bourbon_Warrior: Yeah, it would. Feel free to have a mod look at both our IP addresses because I'm not him and I'm not nearly that petty that I need to make up fake accounts to defend myself.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Demoskinos: Haha just saying, it looks pretty funny. Some guy comes on and makes 1 post to pretty much defend you.

TastyProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By TastyProphet

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@TastyProphet: I would hardly call her career doomed, being in a HBO series as one of the main characters been in one of the biggest grossing movies of the year. She never licked a PSP, that was Jessica Chobot. You can hardly hate on someone who was being directed by the fine producers at G4 as a stepping stone into show business industry.

I'm not hating on her. I didn't insult her did I? I just gave my evaluation of her as a professional. If you think being associated with HBO and being in one, rather awful, blockbuster make you a successful celebrity, then you have a somewhat superficial definition of success. Megan Fox had all that and more- I'd still say she was the very opposite of a truly successful woman. Fair enough about the PSP thing though; shame you had to gloss over the bit about hot-dogs eh?

Also...' the fine producers at G4'...this phrase made me lol...a lot.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By wjb

Her pictures to Chris Pine with captions of how she loves it when he chokes her while fucking or tossing her salad is the best work she's ever done. Also, The Newsroom sucks, but you enjoy it, so cool.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Turambar

@Legion_ said:

@believer258: Of course there is a differnce in taste. But it is also possible to be objective. I think she is a very beautiful woman, but I don't expect everyone to agree. I do however expect common sense. You can say that she is not your type, without calling her ugly.

Are you saying there's such a thing as "objectively ugly"? Really now?

TastyProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By TastyProphet

@UlquioKani said:

@TastyProphet: Your issues with them are the fault of the people who chose to employ them.

By that logic if I punch a toddler in the face at a day-care centre, it's not my fault but the fault of the centre itself? Blame rests with both parties here but mainly her's as, in this case, it's all about her personality- something which only she has control over. G4 couldn't really know exactly what they were getting until she was in front of the camera.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#179  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

She looks like another skank to be served up to Kanye West.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By shaunk

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

LIEK OMG GUYZ HOT GAMER GIRLZZZZZ

Let's revel in the awfulness, shall we?

Oh, then there's this. Like this is supposed to get me hard. Some broad drooling all over my failed handheld.

Chobot is far far worse than Munn is. Chobot just fully sucks.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#181  Edited By alternate

Acting off of a script is the one thing she seems good at. Surprised the hell out of me. Her games stuff, her writing and her improv on the Daily Show all sucked. Wanted to hate her but she was one of the better things about that Sorkin wankfest.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@MasturbatingestBear: I'd tend to agree.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By mikey87144

@TastyProphet: She hasn't been part of the games press since she left G4. Still holding a grudge because of her faking an interest in video games in kind of weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

People consider her a journalist? Since when?

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By UlquioKani

@TastyProphet said:

@UlquioKani said:

By that logic if I punch a toddler in the face at a day-care centre, it's not my fault but the fault of the centre itself? Blame rests with both parties here but mainly her's as, in this case, it's all about her personality- something which only she has control over. G4 couldn't really know exactly what they were getting until she was in front of the camera.

Both parties are to blame but should those companies have employed these people who you claim clearly know nothing about the field they are about to work in. Even at a Day Care, they do background checks on people and they are qualified to work with children but these people don't even have that so you have to wonder why these people were employed in the first place. From the wikipedia article about Jessica Chobot, it seems like she was only employed because she liked games and licked a PSP. I put most of the blame onto IGN for that as she was just a model before that. By your logic, she would have stayed as a model if it weren't for IGN hiring her. It's a similiar case for Olvia Munn.

The network, devoted to the world of video games and the video game lifestyle, was at first hesitant to hire Munn. Although she admits video games were her "weak point," she was confident in her technical knowledge.

That's a line from her wikipedia page. Who would you blame for exposing her to the general public and turning off potential female gamers?

For the record, I don't have a problem with either Jessica Chobot or Olivia Munn. They are both pretty good presenters in my opinion

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By kmdrkul

She was never a journalist. Which is hilarious and ironic.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Legion_

@Turambar: Of course there is. People just have a hard time realizing that, because in the gaming industry everything is subjective. People argue that Crysis doesn't have good graphics, and that's just as stupid as saying Munn doesn't have good looks.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Legion_

@TastyProphet: Hell yeah they could. And all responsibility rests with the employer. She was just doing her job. It's not your job to punch toddlers in the face, making it your responsibility alone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TastyProphet it's actually far simpler than you want to pretend. She's a presenter, her job is to read the teleprompter, keep the show moving, not to be a journalist or a expert in the field. Your 'cardiologist' example is porous, her role is more analogous to the receptionist. We don't demand that hospital receptionists be doctors, they merely need to perform clerical and communicative duties.

This 'women in games taken seriously' shit is absolutely pathetic. The behaviour of one cable show host does not somehow reflect on all women developers, producers, marketers anymore than Jeff's lifestyle reflects on all men in the games industry. I don't believe David Jaffe has a broom duct-taped to his window and a bunch of broken cars on his lawn just because Jeff does, why would anyone assume lady artists and writers and coders like to lick consoles because Chobot did it? The idea that one woman represents all women is candidly horseshit, and I'm sure any woman would back me up. It also continues the trend to think that men and women who like video games are so Goddamn stupid and detached from reality they'll believe what they see on TV more than their own life experience. We're not infants, stop that rhetoric.

As for 'pandering with her looks', congratulations. You've just kicked anyone working in a number of industries in the crotch. Models, actors, tv presenters, they take care of their appearance because it is literally their job. Just like singers take care of their voices, manual labourers take care of their bodies, writers and office workers take care of their brains. The idea that a job based on looks is somehow less earned than one based on math is just ignorant. You're still acting as if her job is to be a journalist, as if the shows she's on are about journalism. Her job literally is Look Good, Deliver Lines. Carson was no different, if Carson had a unibrow and a face tattoo, he wouldn't have had the Tonight Show.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Turambar

@Legion_ said:

@Turambar: Of course there is. People just have a hard time realizing that, because in the gaming industry everything is subjective. People argue that Crysis doesn't have good graphics, and that's just as stupid as saying Munn doesn't have good looks.

You realize "bad graphics" is something that can be quantified in terms of shading, pixel count, polygon count, etc, while "bad graphical style" cannot not. Modern Warfare 3 is a far more technically proficient game graphically than Journey, but technical proficiency hardly matters in an argument between which one is "prettier".

When it comes to judging the aesthetics of a person, we are all perfect on a technical level because reality is graphical perfection. But "pretty" and "ugly" are entirely subjective values. Do we view fat people as closer to the ugly side of the scale as opposed to the pretty? We do today. Did people a century ago do so? No, being fat was a sign of wealth.

The sooner you learn to separate the technical from the subjective, the better.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

People consider her a journalist? Since when?

Thats what i want to know.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, shes alright.  Probably a solid 7.89 on the Schneider-Sherzinger scale

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#193  Edited By Animasta

@Turambar said:

@Legion_ said:

You realize "bad graphics" is something that can be quantified in terms of shading, pixel count, polygon count, etc, while "bad graphical style" cannot not. Modern Warfare 3 is a far more technically proficient game graphically than Journey, but technical proficiency hardly matters in an argument between which one is "prettier".

When it comes to judging the aesthetics of a person, we are all perfect on a technical level because reality is graphical perfection. But "pretty" and "ugly" are entirely subjective values. Do we view fat people as closer to the ugly side of the scale as opposed to the pretty? We do today. Did people a century ago do so? No, being fat was a sign of wealth.

I think there is such a thing as objectively ugly

but only if they have like a really gross skin condition or something to that effect

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Turambar

@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

@Legion_ said:

but only if they have like a really gross skin condition or something to that effect

No, that means their skin is not in good condition, something medical experts can speak to objectively. That does not mean they are "objectively ugly". The idea that "deformities are ugly" is a socially constructed value, and subjective at its core.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#195  Edited By jjnen

I don't understand this hate for these pretty faces doing game interviews etc. Shouldn't you guys be angry at the people who hires them thinking that they will make more people watch these shows?

And obviously they do, so I guess fuck you?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By musubi

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

@Legion_ said:

No, that means their skin is not in good condition, something medical experts can speak to objectively. That does not mean they are "objectively ugly". The idea that "deformities are ugly" is a socially constructed value, and subjective at its core.

I think that is sort of disconcerting that anyone would try to acknowledge "Objectively" Ugly as a thing that exists. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By superfriend

Man, this thread has gotten kinda out of hand.. Well, to be even less on topic: Yeah, I kinda take issue with the EXTREME importance of good looks in the entertainment and video-news industries. I´ve personally experienced questionable hiring practices, where looks would score completely unqualified people jobs they just were not fit for.

And I also hate how a lot of people just want to see good looking people on TV.. I mean, I´ve nothing against it, but I don´t turn off the news if the anchorman/newslady ain´t all that hot?! Trust me, there are people out there who will do just that. Part of the problem.

On Topic: Hey, great for Olivia Munn, she has finally found something she clearly wanted to do from the very start of her career. She´s definitely got the looks and from what I´ve seen of her, she´s a competent actress.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#198  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@TastyProphet said:

Holy shit, I didn't think I could get extra salt on fanboy tears.

Your butt hurt is astounding. Seriously. Olivia Munn should give two shits what a forum dweller who spends way too much time playing video games thinks? You need to look in da mirra and get some perspective on your life and, apparently, your perceived self-importance. I'm not saying Munn is the best in the world at what she does, but this rampaging butt hurt over the fact that she got a job at G4 for being pretty and being a natural in front of the camera somehow invalidates her entire existence/career is pretty fucking stupid. Also, that comment about her "inevitably doomed" career does more to show people how vindictive you are. Seriously. Go masturbate or something. Relieve that stress somehow.

As so eloquently put it, no honour. No code. No class.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#199  Edited By TheHBK

Olivia Munn is a beautiful person and Jaffe is an asshole.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#200  Edited By Milkman

Do people here actually consider Olivia Munn a video game journalist? She's not. And she never claimed to be. She was a personality on a show that was at times related to video games. Sorry if that damages your precious boys club.