• 77 results
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SexyToad

Dlc are just overpriced now a days. Let's take COD for example. The game itself is 60$. There's usuall three basic modes multiplayer, a special one, (Zombies, Spec ops, etc.) and story mode. So you divide that up by three each part is worth about 20$. Dlcs are 15$! Black ops had 4 so that equals to 60$! As much as the the game itself. Just for some maps. Yes the maps are cool but they're just overpriced. It's not just COD though. Halo does it, fallout, grand theft auto. Except tha Gta and fallout doesnt have diffrent modes. What other game's DLCs are overpriced and what do you guy think about the cost of DLCs?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

I agree that 15$ for 3 maps is lunacy, especially since their value comes from everybody having them, but you can't mathhammer things like that. All of the parts of a 60 dollar game subsidize eachother, and they also share the retailers cut, the console manufacturer's cut, the publisher's cut and a marketing budget. DLC has to fund those things all on its own.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By AngelN7

I disagree both Fallout 3 and GTA IV DLC gave you a lot more value for the price (to me at least I don't see the value in paying for multiplayer maps of any game doesn't matter the price) Episdoes from Liberty City was a 6-8 hours story (individualy for both Episodes) with a lot of side-stuff new vehicules, weapons and mulitplayer modes that to me was worth the price the same with some of the Fallout 3 DLC , you could argue that 15$ is a lot for 3 or 4 maps but then again some people see the value in then because they play a lot of multiplayer I don't think is overprice I just don't see the value in it regardless of cost.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Karl_Boss

Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends is ridiculously overpriced at $30, and its price will probably never be cut.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bell_End

when you say they are overpriced, how much should they cost

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crixaliz

I think CoD map packs are no longer overpriced, now that they are paired with the Elite service. Since you buy the hardened edition you get a year of Elite which will includes all the DLC for that years CoD, essentially its a collectors edition that gives you all future DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Most DLC is overpriced compared to what you get in the retail package. It's still more cost effective to make a whole bunch of stuff at once than it is to make a little bit of stuff every few months.

Especially since the retail packages will go down to 40, 30, 20 dollars over the years. And that DLC will maintain at 7 or 10. You can probably get Alan Wake for cheaper than you can get The Writer and The Signal.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SexyToad said:

Dlc are just overpriced now a days.

Son back in ye old days. Pc games use to have expansions. It was a game usually about 1/4 1/2 or even the same size as the full game at half the price.

Then consoles started working online. Now look at this shit puddle we are in.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

As long as we remain dummies and slaves of hype and not being "out of the loop", DLC will remain expensive because we will keep buying it. We make fun of the kids who do shit to be cool, and then we spend hundreds of dollars worth on Mass Effect 3 multiplayer because ME is cool.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

As long as we remain dummies and slaves of hype and not being "out of the loop", DLC will remain expensive because we will keep buying it. We make fun of the kids who do shit to be cool, and then we spend hundreds of dollars worth on Mass Effect 3 multiplayer because ME is cool.

Not just DLC. The prices of games themselfs are being pumped up. Why is Call Of Duty more expensive than the price of an average pc game? Because they fucking can. Why is Call Of Duty using a subscription service (and soon to be) Battlefield? Because they fucking can. I don't want to blame the console user base. But it's the console user bases fault primarily.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bell_End

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Not just DLC. The prices of games themselfs are being pumped up. Why is Call Of Duty more expensive than the price of an average pc game? Because they fucking can. Why is Call Of Duty using a subscription service (and soon to be) Battlefield? Because they fucking can. I don't want to blame the console user base. But it's the console user bases fault primarily.

of course its the console gamers fault. its always the fucking console gamers. playing though games they like and enjoy... the basterds. ruining it for proper gamers like you. you should do classes or something teaching people how to be more hardcore and a proper gamer and more like you

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

The Max Payne 3 season pass is $30. That's a bit much.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FritzDude

It's overpriced because they can and people still pay for them. Prices will always go up until a drop in sales numbers.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By benjaebe

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Unless you're really into the multiplayer. It's seven map packs, and they say that you save about 35% by doing the season pass. So if you're in it for the long haul, you're better off getting the pass anyway.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Bell_End said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

of course its the console gamers fault. its always the fucking console gamers. playing though games they like and enjoy... the basterds. ruining it for proper gamers like you. you should do classes or something teaching people how to be more hardcore and a proper gamer and more like you

The problem isn't that certain gamers want to have fun, it's that they want to have fun no matter what. They want to have fun so much that they're OK with having a company's erect penis far up their anuses. They want to have fun so much that they don't mind it when the game provides 50% of the fun they could have had, keeping the other 50% as a paid addition, or even REMOVING that entire chunk of fun (shorter games,  less mechanics and diversity) because they can. 

I won't lie and claim that I've been a dedicated video game lover for long years, up until 2004 I only played GTA and FIFA and Call of Duty, but since then I've been dedicated and, looking at the industry's history, I'm afraid it's clear that all the fucking kids rocking their Xbox and buying shit left and right on their parents' credit card initiated the rip-off pandemic that is going on today. 
I don't think it's a coincidence that Xbox 360 LIVE happened around the same time game prices rose, game development became lazy and took only 1 or 2 years to pump out a new product.
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, Xbox is a cancer. Pc is the light. The sooner everyone goes towards it the better the world will be.@benjaebe said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Unless you're really into the multiplayer. It's seven map packs, and they say that you save about 35% by doing the season pass. So if you're in it for the long haul, you're better off getting the pass anyway.

I doubt most of the people buying Max Payne 3 really give a flying shit about the multiplayer anyway. And given that fact, splitting it all up with DLC will only serve to fragment the community.

But whatever, unless it's a wonderfully wonder company like Valve, most don't give a shitty shit.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By BiG_Weasel

The problem I have with DLC is that much of it is required for people to play the game with others. Map packs, in particular are troublesome, because the game is essentially forcing you to buy additional optional content.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By benjaebe

Yep, Xbox is a cancer. Pc is the light. The sooner everyone goes towards it the better the world will be.@benjaebe said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I doubt most of the people buying Max Payne 3 really give a flying shit about the multiplayer anyway. And given that fact, splitting it all up with DLC will only serve to fragment the community.

I dunno. The RDR multiplayer had a surprisingly large player base, and they've been really pushing the multiplayer stuff with all the crews, rockstar social network, etc. I haven't bought the game yet, but it seems interesting enough.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

the FF 13-2 DLC was horribly over priced for what it was

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whyareyoucrouchingspock

@AhmadMetallic said:

Things cost as much as people will pay. Trying to blame that on whatever social group you don't like is nonsense.

Console gamers are always driving to stores to buy their games, driving up the price of gas! We should round them up, put them in camps! Male them play Total War!
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brodehouse said:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock

@AhmadMetallic said:

Things cost as much as people will pay. Trying to blame that on whatever social group you don't like is nonsense.

No, it's based on facually based evidence. Trying to generalize it as something universal to discard blame is nonsense.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Brodehouse said:
Console gamers are always driving to stores to buy their games, driving up the price of gas! We should round them up, put them in camps! Male them play Total War!
PC elitists like you disgust me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic Maybe it's because you've only been seriously playing games for 8 years, because the 'ripoff pandemic' has been going on for 35 years now. You're imagining a wonderful idyllic world that never existed. It wasn't all Leave It To Beaver in the 90s. Like Goddamn, if you think licensed games are bad today.
Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bell_End

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Bell_End said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

The problem isn't that certain gamers want to have fun, it's that they want to have fun no matter what. They want to have fun so much that they're OK with having a company's erect penis far up their anuses. They want to have fun so much that they don't mind it when the game provides 50% of the fun they could have had, keeping the other 50% as a paid addition, or even REMOVING that entire chunk of fun (shorter games, less mechanics and diversity) because they can. I won't lie and claim that I've been a dedicated video game lover for long years, up until 2004 I only played GTA and FIFA and Call of Duty, but since then I've been dedicated and, looking at the industry's history, I'm afraid it's clear that all the fucking kids rocking their Xbox and buying shit left and right on their parents' credit card initiated the rip-off pandemic that is going on today. I don't think it's a coincidence that Xbox 360 LIVE happened around the same time game prices rose, game development became lazy and took only 1 or 2 years to pump out a new product.

what a load of conjecture and drivel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic
@Brodehouse said:
PC elitists like you disgust me.
Is... Are you for real? Is this a double troll? Trolls trolling trolls?
TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Brodehouse said:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock

@AhmadMetallic said:

Things cost as much as people will pay. Trying to blame that on whatever social group you don't like is nonsense. Console gamers are always driving to stores to buy their games, driving up the price of gas! We should round them up, put them in camps! Male them play Total War!

What he said ^

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RE_Player1

If you don't like it don't buy it. Or wait for a sale. No point in whining.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By fini_fly

@msavo said:

If you don't like it don't buy it. Or wait for a sale. No point in whining.

Beat me to it.

If you think there is no value in the product you are buying, then don't buy it.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@benjaebe said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I dunno. The RDR multiplayer had a surprisingly large player base, and they've been really pushing the multiplayer stuff with all the crews, rockstar social network, etc. I haven't bought the game yet, but it seems interesting enough.

It could justify the price eventually (Rockstar has a history of top notch DLC with GTAIV and RDR).

$30 is hard to swallow when you just spent $60 on the game though.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

People buy it so it's not overpriced. It's a free market.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Bell_End said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

The problem isn't that certain gamers want to have fun, it's that they want to have fun no matter what. They want to have fun so much that they're OK with having a company's erect penis far up their anuses. They want to have fun so much that they don't mind it when the game provides 50% of the fun they could have had, keeping the other 50% as a paid addition, or even REMOVING that entire chunk of fun (shorter games, less mechanics and diversity) because they can. I won't lie and claim that I've been a dedicated video game lover for long years, up until 2004 I only played GTA and FIFA and Call of Duty, but since then I've been dedicated and, looking at the industry's history, I'm afraid it's clear that all the fucking kids rocking their Xbox and buying shit left and right on their parents' credit card initiated the rip-off pandemic that is going on today. I don't think it's a coincidence that Xbox 360 LIVE happened around the same time game prices rose, game development became lazy and took only 1 or 2 years to pump out a new product.

I agree. Alot of console users will probably bash you because they don't like what you are saying. But you are right. As a long time pc gamer I remember the days of expansion packs and mod tools. Promoting the idea of creativity. Valve done it. Part of the success they have is through cultivating a mod community. Likewise with Blizzard, dota surely didn't hurt sales. Battlefield 2 was inspired by a mod. Now, in this grim age, it's simply digusting any and everyway to milk the shit out of users. Opting whenever humanly possible to reduce customer value. This is mostly (like you suggest) because of children on the xbox.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bell_End

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Bell_End said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I agree. Alot of console users will probably bash you because they don't like what you are saying. But you are right. As a long time pc gamer I remember the days of expansion packs and mod tools. Promoting the idea of creativity. Valve done it. Part of the success they have is through cultivating a mod community. Likewise with Blizzard, dota surely didn't hurt sales. Battlefield 2 was inspired by a mod. Now, in this grim age, it's simply digusting any and everyway to milk the shit out of users. Opting whenever humanly possible to reduce customer value. This is mostly (like you suggest) because of children on the xbox.

well i a PC gamer and i think what he (and you) say is utter shite that sounds like it been copied and pasted from the comedy PC elitist handbook on how to make shit up and pretent you have a clue what you drivelling about.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Bell_End said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Not only do you make perfect sense, I actually envy you for being there when that legendary PC era happened. I'd give anything to go back to 2001 and be a part of the community-driven and creativity-driven PC phenomenon that launched the industry into its greatest phases. 
Sadly I was 10 back then.
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Cloudenvy

@TEHMAXXORZ said:

@Brodehouse said:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock

@AhmadMetallic said:

Things cost as much as people will pay. Trying to blame that on whatever social group you don't like is nonsense. Console gamers are always driving to stores to buy their games, driving up the price of gas! We should round them up, put them in camps! Male them play Total War!

What he said ^

Pretty much. I also can't help but feel like some people in this thread are imagining a version of the past that never actually existed.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cloudenvy said:

Pretty much. I also can't help but feel like some people in this thread are imagining a version of the past that never actually existed.

If you think that then you probably never gamed on the pc during the early 2000's and late 90's.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Cloudenvy said:

If you think that then you probably never gamed on the pc.

Oh, but I have. But please, continue to live in your fantasy world since it's pretty entertaining to read.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Bell_End said:

well i a PC gamer and i think what he (and you) say is utter shite that sounds like it been copied and pasted from the comedy PC elitist handbook on how to make shit up and pretent you have a clue what you drivelling about.

Okay, if you wanna go into "pointless destructive dissing" mode, you sound like you're copy pasting from the tired phrase book of people living in denial and the illusion of being "pleasant, satisfied customers." Say PC elitist some more, it hasn't gotten old yet. 

What I'm personally more interested in hearing from you is how I or spock are wrong. Try me, if you make sense or relate to past personal experiences or provide proof, I will, believe it or not, believe you and change my mind.
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Oh, but I have

This is simply disagreeing because you don't like the truth. The only real case of map packs was Battlefield 2 and Quake multiplayer maps. Other than that it was very good expansion packs and mod tools that encuraged users to create items and skins. Alot of the time the developers would host them themselfs. Now console users such as yourself are paying for mods and huge prices for map packs and like a bad cancer, it has spread over to the pc thanks to opportunists seeing it work on console. Enjoy living in denial, i'll always have my factually based reality driven memories that are fabulous in nature.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Oh, but I have

This is simply disagreeing because you don't like the truth. The only real case of map packs was Battlefield 2 and Quake multiplayer maps. Other than that it was very good expansion packs and mod tools that encuraged users to create items and skins. Alot of the time the developers would host them themselfs. Now console users such as yourself are paying for mods and huge prices for map packs and like a bad cancer, it has spread over to the pc thanks to opportunists seeing it work on console. Enjoy living in denial, i'll always have my factually based reality driven memories that are fabulous in nature.

Haha, that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm guessing I'm an opportunist hipster nihilist who can't grasp the godly gloriousness that is Total War as well?

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bell_End

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Bell_End said:

Okay, if you wanna go into "pointless destructive dissing" mode, you sound like you're copy pasting from the tired phrase book of people living in denial and the illusion of being "pleasant, satisfied customers." Say PC elitist some more, it hasn't gotten old yet.

What I'm personally more interested in hearing from you is how I or spock are wrong. Try me, if you make sense or relate to past personal experiences or provide proof, I will, believe it or not, believe you and change my mind.

your the ones with the burdens of proof to back up the drivel your spouting.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Oh, but I have

I also wanted to be right. This was a very good outcome.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Bell_End said:

What do you think of this:  

As a long time pc gamer I remember the days of expansion packs and mod tools. Promoting the idea of creativity. Valve done it. Part of the success they have is through cultivating a mod community. Likewise with Blizzard, dota surely didn't hurt sales. Battlefield 2 was inspired by a mod. Now, in this grim age, it's simply digusting any and everyway to milk the shit out of users. Opting whenever humanly possible to reduce customer value. This is mostly (like you suggest) because of children on the xbox.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Animasta

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Oh, but I have

you are insane, serious

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Oh, but I have

I also wanted to be right. This was a very good outcome.

Not in your favor, but sure!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Animasta said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Oh, but I have

you are insane, serious

The good old Giant Bomb way of pulling out the rather popular insanity card to immediately devalue whatever the other person is saying just because he's not going with the flow. Your discussion just ended, Spock, he called you insane, my advice is to leave this thread. Believe me, I've seen it before, you just lost.
Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Sackmanjones

Some dlc is over priced. Some isn't. It's up to your discretion if you think it's worth it. Im not a huge dlc buyer but if it's for a game I love then there's a chance I'll get it (within reasonable limits). So for your example, if you love call of duty you will probably get those map packs because it's worth it to you even if it's a bit expensive. If your not a huge fan of COD then you can wait for a discount. It's up to you folks!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Animasta

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Animasta said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Oh, but I have

you are insane, serious

The good old Giant Bomb way of pulling out the rather popular insanity card to immediately devalue whatever the other person is saying just because he's not going with the flow. Your discussion just ended, Spock, he called you insane, my advice is to leave this thread. Believe me, I've seen it before, you just lost.

have you seen him post previously? discussing shit with him doesn't work. I've tried!

totalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwar

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Sackmanjones: But no! how dare they buy what they want to play! they're ruining the market for everyone else!

Those opportunist hipster nihilists!

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bell_End

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Bell_End said:

What do you think of this:

As a long time pc gamer I remember the days of expansion packs and mod tools. Promoting the idea of creativity. Valve done it. Part of the success they have is through cultivating a mod community. Likewise with Blizzard, dota surely didn't hurt sales. Battlefield 2 was inspired by a mod. Now, in this grim age, it's simply digusting any and everyway to milk the shit out of users. Opting whenever humanly possible to reduce customer value. This is mostly (like you suggest) because of children on the xbox.

i think its wonderful.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#50  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Well this has become a warm and friendly discussion, hasn't it? Chill the fuck out people, you'll be much better for it. Honestly, I can't remember a time when DLC wasn't over-priced, and it sucks. I think sometimes people put too much focus on solely blaming the publishers though, when the console manufacturers who control the online stores have undoubtedly had a huge part to play in this whole thing.