• 61 results
#1 Posted by MrBrightside91 (60 posts) -

" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7490346.stm "

Pringles, the popular snack food in a tube, are not potato crisps, a High Court judge has ruled.

Their packaging, "unnatural shape" and the fact that the potato content is less than 50% helped Mr Justice Warren make his crunch decision.

As a result, Pringles, in all flavours are free from Value Added Tax (VAT).

Manufacturer Procter & Gamble (P&G) is likely to save millions of pounds as a result of the decision - with customers also likely to pay less."

----------------------------------------

So, Pringles are now actually biscuits and not crisps.. How odd? What other crazy food things do you know about? And are Jaffa Cakes cakes or biscuits?
#2 Posted by MoldOnHold (627 posts) -

....and the plot thickens.

#3 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -

I heard and I was outraged.

#4 Posted by DrSponge (23 posts) -

That's ridiculous that people waste time on doing things like that.

#5 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

Maybe KFC will sell them alongside their chicken, now! But hey, if I get to pay less money for anything I'm happy.

#6 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

A High Court Judge has ruled...Pringles are biscuits?

Anything wrong with that? Don't they have more high-profile, important cases to be worrying about?

#7 Posted by MoldOnHold (627 posts) -

But seriously though.... unnatural shape? What does that have to do with it's identity as a chip? It looks and tastes like a chip to me.

*shrug*

#8 Posted by FragStains (76 posts) -

I believe Pringles actually originated from spacedust collected on the first Apollo missions.  After adding water, they spontaneously generate.  Go ahead, buy a can of Pringles and pour some water into the can and see what happens.

#9 Posted by MutenMiller (216 posts) -

Thats amazing. I like how one of the reasons is the tube they come in. Like if you put some Monster Munch in a shoebox you can call them... I dunno, shoes perhaps? Tiny, delicious shoes...

#10 Posted by alecscradle (63 posts) -

ok.  Thanks for the update!

#11 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -
Karmum said:
"A High Court Judge has ruled...Pringles are biscuits?

Anything wrong with that? Don't they have more high-profile, important cases to be worrying about?
"
No, obviously they don't. Why the hell else would they have the time to rule that Pringles are biscuits..

Which I really have to say is bullshit, of course they're chips
#12 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
FragStains said:
"I believe Pringles actually originated from spacedust collected on the first Apollo missions.  After adding water, they spontaneously generate.  Go ahead, buy a can of Pringles and pour some water into the can and see what happens."
Well, I do have a few cans of Pringles in my house! How about just pouring it on one of the chips?
#13 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -
MoldOnHold said:
"But seriously though.... unnatural shape? What does that have to do with it's identity as a chip? It looks and tastes like a chip to me.

*shrug*
"

Ah, but that is where you are wrong, it is not a chip. It is a potato crisp. It is not made from cut potatos but from pressed.
#14 Posted by RabbitKarrot (362 posts) -

Ready saled biscuits? Salt and Vinegar biscuits?

That judge needs to GTFO.

#15 Posted by Gaughan (97 posts) -

What? What? What!?
Now this is weird. Does it now mean I /someone else can dip some in my cup of tea ad people wont call the guys in teh white coats?

#16 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

hahaha wow.

#17 Posted by x3ar (236 posts) -

mhm pringles i want the salt and viniger

#18 Posted by Schizoid (1064 posts) -

Pringles aren't biscuits! Gah, what a weird judge.

#19 Posted by MrBrightside91 (60 posts) -

They might well still be crisps/chips in America. I think this was a wacky EU ruling.

#20 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -
x3ar said:
"mhm pringles i want the salt and viniger
"
I prefer the plain salted ones.
#21 Posted by FragStains (76 posts) -
Karmum said:
"FragStains said:
"I believe Pringles actually originated from spacedust collected on the first Apollo missions.  After adding water, they spontaneously generate.  Go ahead, buy a can of Pringles and pour some water into the can and see what happens."
Well, I do have a few cans of Pringles in my house! How about just pouring it on one of the chips?
"
Nope, it must be a full can.  They have begun to achieve semi-immunity to water through the last 40 years.
#22 Posted by Ehden (214 posts) -

Pringles have sallied the good name of biscuits, I demand a re-trial!

#23 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

all i have to say is great topic MrBrightside91

im not kidding either

#24 Posted by MoldOnHold (627 posts) -
Babble said:
"MoldOnHold said:
"But seriously though.... unnatural shape? What does that have to do with it's identity as a chip? It looks and tastes like a chip to me.

*shrug*
"

Ah, but that is where you are wrong, it is not a chip. It is a potato crisp. It is not made from cut potatos but from pressed."
o i c.

That's interesting. I've been calling it a chip all my life. Never quite understood why the package always said crisp instead of chip.
#25 Posted by Page1 (92 posts) -
FragStains said:
I thought everyone knew that Pringles are fruits from the Martian tree, pringulus biskitus.   >__>
#26 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

That was probably the most important case of the decade... instead of putting robbers and rapists in jail, lets let our judges debate whether or not a hamburger is a sandwitch or not.
#27 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -

Wait, so a Judge can decide if a food is a chip or not? Does that mean he could Make an apple turn into a vegetable?

#28 Edited by ExoM7 (173 posts) -

I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles was a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut 'em up."

#29 Posted by henjin (829 posts) -

Hmm just to get them tax exempt eh...

#30 Posted by SmAsH (234 posts) -
ExoM7 said:
"I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles was a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut 'em up.""
LOL, I haven't laughed some time to somebodies post on the forums :P
#31 Posted by WizzyKid (259 posts) -

Huzzah for cheaper pringles!

#32 Posted by henjin (829 posts) -
markop2003 said:
"henjin said:
"Hmm just to get them tax exempt eh...
"
jafa cakes spent millions of £s to make them class as biscuits cause of tax cuts too
"
Why.....
#33 Posted by MoldOnHold (627 posts) -
henjin said:
"markop2003 said:
"henjin said:
"
jafa cakes spent millions of £s to make them class as biscuits cause of tax cuts too
"
Why.....
"
How am I supposed to catch up to your post count if you keep posting?!
#34 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

Well that's random.

#35 Posted by CleverLoginName (678 posts) -

Hard hitting journalism!

#36 Posted by henjin (829 posts) -
markop2003 said:
"henjin said:
"markop2003 said:
"henjin said:
"
"
Why.....
"
biscuits don't have to pay VAT but cake does, so they got 17.5% of the cost of the packet taken away from them when it was originally classed as cake
"
Well, that makes sense I guess. Didn't know the VAT was that much...What does VAT stand for anyway? Somthing somthing tax?
#37 Posted by henjin (829 posts) -
MoldOnHold said:
"henjin said:
"markop2003 said:
"henjin said:
"
"
Why.....
"
How am I supposed to catch up to your post count if you keep posting?!
"
Muhahahahaha
#38 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

That's just silly.

#39 Posted by Jotun (555 posts) -
ExoM7 said:
"I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles was a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut 'em up.""
And thus, a legacy was born.
#40 Posted by MrBrightside91 (60 posts) -
Jotun said:
"ExoM7 said:
And thus, a legacy was born.
"
Possibly THE greatest story ever.
#41 Posted by Lairdo (543 posts) -

I am shocked and appalled.

#42 Posted by blu_magnet (258 posts) -

well the pringles at my supermarkets are still situated next to the chips so damn what the Courts think!!!!

#43 Posted by salavaster (23 posts) -

Whaaat? "Pringles 'are not potato crisps' ". It's a brave new world.

#44 Posted by Carmel_Chewy (323 posts) -

Well they are cheaper now so W00t!

#45 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Seems like P & G was grasping for straws.

#46 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

Potato Crisps, or biscuits...

Pringles are still epic win.

#47 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

That is stupid.. :P

#48 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2468 posts) -

Wow.Pringles are biscuts who cares they still tast good.

#49 Posted by sponge3164 (407 posts) -
, a High Court judge has ruled

LMAO
#50 Posted by Silverain (663 posts) -

It's just the British butchering the English language again.

*sarcasm*