Question for Americans: Is Target a good store?

• 81 results
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

No Caption Provided
Apparently Target has bought out a company called Zellers here in Canada that used to be pretty big back in the day, but has slowly been dying off over the years to the point that they have been sold now. The store, at least in my area, has been dead for a long time yet somehow still existed. The last time I was in one I literally felt like I was in a zombie movie as I walked down the isle because it was in such shambles. Half the shelves were empty, stuff was thrown in the isles, every product on the shelf was about 2 years old, lights were flickering on and off, the building was literally falling apart, and the only people in the store were very old people shambling along staring at the floor that looked half dead themselves. 

From my understanding they pretty much just bought them for the land the stores are on, and they are going to use that as a foot hold into the Canadian market place for the first time. If the stores around here are any indication of their quality nation wide, they will probably bulldoze them all and put up new ones in their place.

So I was wondering, what do you folks think of the store? Is it any good? Do they have good deals? Do they do something special to set themselves apart from places like Wal Mart? I have never been to one before and was just curious to know if it's just going to be more of the same big box retailers or if it was something worth looking forward to.
Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Aelric

I worked at a Target for about 8 months in college. It's alright, fairly standard superstore prices and selection. It's different than walmart in that they bother to clean their store. There is a greater emphasis in the clothing department as well, I guess. It was an ok job, too, though the odd corporate morale policies were always a bit odd and cultish to me, but that is true of every corporate job I've had.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By redbliss

I never worked there or anything, but based on what I have seen of the store by my house Target is a fairly nice place, at least as far as superstores go. The clothing is nice and the floors and everything arent dirty. Also, most of the products arent damaged like you might find in other stores.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By aceofspudz

Target is pretty good! Decent prices, MUCH cleaner environment than walmart. I tend to like the Target house brands more than the walmart house brands.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By canucks23

Having been to both Zellers and Target multiple times, this is a big upgrade. Zellers was garbage.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I really like Target. Its a lot cleaner and nicer than the Walmart that's directly across the street from it. I usually buy all my boxed games there. I actually went to a Zeller's a couple years ago when I was in Calgary, and it was not so nice...

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defaulttag

yes. much cleaner and more organized than walmart.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoeyIA

Target doesn't make me get games out of a glass case like the Wal-Mart here, so that makes me happy.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Animasta

Target is pretty good

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Barrock

I love Target. They often get awesome t shirts and get awesome stuff on clearance.

I bought Saving Private Ryan and the Back to the Future dvd set for $14 each today. Got Constantine, Book of Eli, and Gangs of New York for $6 each too.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ninjalegend

Think cleaner Walmart like what has been mentioned. One of the Targets near me usually over buys their games, and they show up kind of fast in the clearance bin. I get a lot of games I may not have bought otherwise, while they are still $60 at gamestop. Hurray for over ordering!

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Codeacious

It's pretty good. I've never had any issues with them.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Target is OKAY. 

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twitchey

It's just a more expensive Wal-Mart.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like one peg up from the shitabyss than Wal-Mart. They tend to have good deals and manage to keep their appearance better than that of a third world country's bazaar, unlike, you know, Wal-Mart.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nocall

I like Target, too. Our store just got remodeled and its actually really nice now--which is weird for a department store. Its standard prices tend to be a tad bit higher, but they have ridiculously awesome sales. There's a best buy right next to ours, so I always check out the sale DVDs and video games in both when I'm in town and, more often than not, I'll pick up a couple of things on sale at Target that are actually cheaper than the sales at BB. 

All in all, I like Target.

Edit: Some recent deals I've had--Witcher 2 on release day for $40, Resident Evil 5 on clearance for $5, Darksiders on clearance for ~$7

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dungbootle

They're alright. Last I checked, they are very lacking when it comes to video games though.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jazzycola

As a store, it's pretty good at being competitive in price. But from having worked there for 3 and a half years they are no different from walmart. Service expectations from higher ups have really gone down but they still tout that it's their number 1 priority. At one point they had 4(1 team lead, 1 cashier, 1 person in electronics and one person doing soft lines/clothing) people closing my store on a regular basis when the normal was like 8-10. Then they're surprised that they got complaints that night that no one could be found or that are scores were red. My point being while you can expect them to have competitive prices don't expect to get helped in the meantime at least not with the current structure over there.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar

Is used to be cool. Much cleaner then Wal Mart and other sort of those kinds of stores. Even had some nice ads that appealed to our generation without overly saying look at the price!!! That is because they aren't teh cheapest.  But then they started to change by putting groceries in their stores, and had some bad PR when it was announced that some church they gave money to was behind banning gay marriage, which their only response was: well I'll donate the same amount of money for gay marriage, so that should equal out, right? 

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By damnboyadvance

It's a decent store chain. Good place to go for clothes.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Zippedbinders

Target has some pretty great clearance deals on video games, and like most have said, its a cleaner Wal-Mart with less food. Working there was ok, but its a pretty fine store on the whole.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nocall
@damnboyadvance said:
It's a decent store chain. Good place to go for clothes.
I got a Voltron tshirt there last week for six bucks. Just sayin'.
LollerskateDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LollerskateDJ

Target is much better, sadly in rural eastern buttfuck Kentucky, you get one choice. WalMart. Closest Target is 2-3 hours away. But I always preferred Target, better quality and prices and more variety of things. Working there was pretty awesome too :)

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Barrock

Also: There's always at least one hot lady shopping at Target. Always.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crusader8463
@Jazzycola said:

As a store, it's pretty good at being competitive in price. But from having worked there for 3 and a half years they are no different from walmart. Service expectations from higher ups have really gone down but they still tout that it's their number 1 priority. At one point they had 4(1 team lead, 1 cashier, 1 person in electronics and one person doing soft lines/clothing) people closing my store on a regular basis when the normal was like 8-10. Then they're surprised that they got complaints that night that no one could be found or that are scores were red. My point being while you can expect them to have competitive prices don't expect to get helped in the meantime at least not with the current structure over there.

I can see how that would be a problem for a lot of people, but the store is an hour drive from where I live. So if I'm making the trip I know what I'm going in for so I won't need any help. I have personally never been the type to need help finding stuff in stores anyway.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Bones8677

I bought a brand new copy of Fable 2 for $8 in Target. Target is awesome.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By herocide

I've never had a problem with the Zellers here. I've been to Target back when I lived in the States for a bit, and it was really nice, but it was a brand new building, so I can't make judgments off of that.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Yeah, it's basically a Wal-Mart with fewer rednecks and shorter lines. And like others have said, it's typically cleaner.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crusader8463
@StaticFalconar said:
Is used to be cool. Much cleaner then Wal Mart and other sort of those kinds of stores. Even had some nice ads that appealed to our generation without overly saying look at the price!!! That is because they aren't teh cheapest.  But then they started to change by putting groceries in their stores, and had some bad PR when it was announced that some church they gave money to was behind banning gay marriage, which their only response was: well I'll donate the same amount of money for gay marriage, so that should equal out, right? 
Ha. I love that line of thinking. Sucks that they found themselves in that situation, but what can they really do? Just say that they didn't know about it at the time the donation was made, and never just never do it again.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like Wal-Mart, but with better clothes and you'll run into fewer white trash shoppers.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jazzycola

@crusader8463: Well if that's the case i don't see a reason not to go shopping there if you go in not expecting any service then your set cause they can have some great deals. I still go in a look at their clearance section every once in a while.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By defaulttag

They have Pizza Hut inside Target. Walmart has McDonald's. Kmart has Little Cesar's. choose your poison.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crusader8463
@Jazzycola said:

@crusader8463: Well if that's the case i don't see a reason not to go shopping there if you go in not expecting any service then your set cause they can have some great deals. I still go in a look at their clearance section every once in a while.

Judging from these comments it sounds like it will be a great place. Now all I need is this money thing I keep hearing people talk about and I will be set!
SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

beats walmart

bmarie82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By bmarie82

Target's usually a pretty decent store, nice and clean compared to other big box chains but I haven't shopped in one for nearly/maybe over a year because of this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/27/target-homophobia-ceo-gre_n_660990.html

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho

Yes. They sell nice shirts. Its not low rent, the prices aren't low enough for it to be low rent.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By butano

The one in my town is ok. I prefer (Super)Wal-Mart due to just there being more choices and usually cheaper, but Target's got some pretty decent clothes though.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jay444111

They have some good game sales, and it is pretty damn clean. I love it personally.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By craigbo180

Well someone called into the storecast and said that Zellers was basically the Canadian equivalent of Target anyway. Seemed like a decent store, Good dealz.

Hichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hichael

I've had fairly good experiences with the target in Vegas. It's clean, organized, and the people that work there actually help you. They helped me find a pretty nice blender :) BTW it was the very last one that they were nice enough to go digging around in the back.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Toxin066

Target is a Wal-Mart for people who aren't scum of the Earth. It also has great popcorn and icees at dirt cheap prices.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It's more upscale than walmart, but less stuff.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Afroman269

@BestUsernameEver said:

Target is OKAY.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Brendan

I've been there a few times when I shopped in the states, and they have great deals on really good underwear. Seriously, get your ass in some Calvin's for cheap, you'll be surprised at how comfortable they are.

In general, they're basically like a more upscale Wal-Mart.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hoossy
@crusader8463:  
Most people prefer them over Walmart... I think 

Now, if politics is your vice, Target has also donated money to anti-gay marriage organizations and is a supporter of right winged politics overall.  At the same time though, they are known to fund art programs for schools and I have been to a couple of musical events held in public parks that were sponsored by them.... yin and yang
CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CarpetRemnant

Zellers sounds like a UK store called Woolworths that collapsed under the weight of its own arrogance a couple of years ago.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hot_Karl

Target is not just a good store. 

IT's a fucking great store. Now we have cheap ass produce at Target. It's like Wal-Mart, but cleaner and without all those kinda sketchy folk you'll find at Wal-Mart. 
Also their clearance sections are usually awesome. I bought Bioshock 2 special edition for PS3 for $25 about a year ago. $25!

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It's pretty good. Pleasant place to shop, and they have some appealing knick-knacky crap sometimes. Good video game section.

Not the best prices in comparison to Wal-Mart, but you get good deals on certain things. And the relative lack of meth fiends is their free gift to you!

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By CrimsonNoir

there's no website called People of Target, so they have that going for them.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By crusader8463
@hoossy: None of that stuff bothers me. It sucks that anyone like that gets support, but I really don't care as a consumer. They are a company and all companies really care about is making money at the end of the day. Just because a couple people in high positions are green lighting dumb stuff like that won't keep me away as long as their product is good. 

So unless they are killing people and using their souls to power the refrigerators to keep the ice cream from melting I really couldn't care less.