• 95 results
#1 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I am just curious how many people still get a real Christmas tree (Holiday tree?) and how many get fake. I personally still get a real tree because they look nicer and smell like pine not dust.

#2 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

My parents just sent me a picture of a fake tree they bought, looks pretty damn convincing. If you don't care about the pine smell to put you in the Christmas mood, and you really don't want to water it, go for a fake tree. I for one cannot betray the legitimacy of a good Christmas tree.

#3 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Why this isn't a poll? If I'd get a tree it would be real of course.

#4 Posted by SpencerTucksen (423 posts) -

Fake. It's cheaper, and when you're poor like me and are renting, it's the only option. If I had money, and a real choice, I'd obviously go real. Simply because it smells nice, like a big ass air freshener, and it's better looking.

#5 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

I don't do a tree for myself but my parents have a predecorated fake tree now. I really hate it; it takes all the fun & meaning out of a Christmas tree. When I get a tree it will definately be a real. Should've been a poll also.

#6 Posted by Nexas (632 posts) -

My family has been using the same fake tree for about five years. I don't think I could go back to the hassle of a real tree.

#7 Posted by Deadmanforking (577 posts) -

Fake, used the same fake one for about 4 years now. AND ITS PURPLE!

#8 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

We used to get real trees, but my sister is allergic to them so we stopped. Our fake tree looks really nice and is much easier to deal with.

#9 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Real or bust. I gotta have that nice smell and all the little pines around come Christmas morning.

#10 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

@Nexas: Yeah my family used to just put up a fake tree, but when I moved out I figured I would try a real one again. It actually isn't too much work when you just go an pick one up from like Lowes or something, just water it once a day and you are good to go. I tryed getting one from a tree farm one year and that was a hell of a lot of work. That way it's almost not worth it.

@BirdkeeperDan: Wait, they make pre-decorated fake trees now. What is the point of even getting a Christmas tree then.

Also, sorry for not making a poll. Didn't even think about it for some reason.

#11 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

Real. Go to the mountains, 4x4 through the snow, its just a fun time overall.

#12 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I chop down a wild cedar tree every year. The house smells so good. But those things are prickly.

#13 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

Fake trees are nasty, plus they are made of PVC (contains lead DO NOT EAT!). Real trees smell great. Real trees 4 the win!

#14 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Real trees. They smell great

#15 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Real trees look and smell better. But I put up a fake. I've seen those videos of a real tree engulfing a room in flames in seconds.

#16 Posted by Danteveli (1186 posts) -

fake inside and real on my yard

#17 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

Real. The wife and I picked up ours on Monday. Smells great. I've always had real trees growing up as well.

#18 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

we have been using a fake tree for the past 3 years, because fuck pine needles.

#19 Posted by IAmNotBatman (645 posts) -

@Warchief said:

we have been using a fake tree for the past 3 years, because fuck pine needles.

#20 Posted by 71Ranchero (2771 posts) -

If I had to resort to a fake tree I just wouldn't bother. I dont think My mom would even allow a fake xmas tree into the house.

#21 Edited by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Well, since I volunteer to sell Christmas trees every year, I also always buy them. Money goes to charity, so whatever.

Also, you can't chainsaw a fake tree, and there is no smell, and carrying a real tree over my shouder makes me feel like a boss.

I ain't gonna carry no plastic tree.

#22 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

real back when I lived in tree country USA, but fake now because they are overpriced here.

#23 Posted by SanjK (40 posts) -

This is my awesome Christmas setup this year...

#24 Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -

Fake. We used to have real ones, but honestly the cleanup was insane and we all grew up so it's not as big a deal to have Christmas be "perfect."

#25 Posted by Herocide (441 posts) -

@lazyturtle said:

Fake trees are nasty, plus they are made of PVC (contains lead DO NOT EAT!). Real trees smell great. Real trees 4 the win!

Who eats their Christmas tree?

#26 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

Fake, because they are easier to upkeep.

#27 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@SanjK said:

This is my awesome Christmas setup this year...

Haha, that's the worst fake fire ever.
#28 Posted by alternate (2707 posts) -

We always had a real tree as a kid but since it became my responsibility, and the gf doesn't care either way, I go with fake - 'cause I am lazy - if anything at all. Usually leave it to the week before at the earliest and last year I just could not be bothered. Always hate the thing as soon as Boxing day (26th for the yanks) and can't wait to see the back of it. Maybe if I ever have kids it will be different. I remember as a kid picking out the tree was the best part.

#29 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

Real by far! The needles don't bother me because all you needa do is a good vacuuming. I absolutely love the smell of a tree in the house. My family has always had a real one and will never go to fake. We cut one down from the back of the woods most times.

#30 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

No Christmas tree for me. Thanks.

#31 Edited by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

Fake tree since always. My family initially lived in an apartment, so we always had a fake tree. These days I'm sometimes too lazy to take down the tree, oftentimes staying up till like february or even march. Can't imagine having to clean up a real tree. Fake trees are easier. Unpack, set up. Dismantle, pack up, put in basement for next year. Never grew up with the smell of a real Christmas tree and I doubt I would develop an affinity for that smell at my age. Not worth the trouble I'd say. Looking real was never a concern either. As long as there was a tree, real or fake, that had ornaments and lights on it, it felt like Christmas to me.

#32 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Real.  
Nothing else will do. 
Seriously, I'd feel cheated with a plastic tree, it's not special at all.

#33 Posted by Deinos (89 posts) -

Fake. Real trees are a pain in the ass. You can simulate the pine smell.

#34 Edited by MikkaQ (10293 posts) -

A real tree, always. Fake trees look tacky as hell, are pretty obviously fake in almost every case, don't smell like pine and tend to cost a good $150 more than a real tree.

A little more work for cleanup and maintenance, but I don't care, it makes all the difference.

#35 Posted by byterunner (307 posts) -

Only people who worship the devil would use a fake tree.

Real tree or NO tree!

#36 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

If you are living in an apartment, then I don't see what is wrong with a fake tree. Other cases, it's not Christmas unless it involved a real tree.

#37 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

It's a tree. Trees belong outside, not inside. You people are all crazy.

#38 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I never got tree, real or fake, when I moved out to my own place. My mother bought me a fake one because she thought a house with no decorations was depressing. She got me the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. the little one that hangs to the side because the little red decoration weighs too much to support. It's pretty awesome.

#39 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

I have a Christmas plant. I just strung a string of lights around my alocasia I have indoors for the winter and I'm good.

#40 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I was expecting WAY more people to say they use fake trees. It fills my heart with joy to see so many people hate fake trees.

#41 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

No Christmas tree.

#42 Posted by PenguinDoctor (293 posts) -

I love the smell of a real tree, but other than that, fakes have it all the way. They are cheaper, you can reuse them, and mine came pre-lit, which is cool, cause i'm no good at lights.

#43 Posted by SanjK (40 posts) -

@Claude: Hahaha aw, my friend painted it for my fake fireplace.

#44 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

christmas trees are dumb

#45 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Fake. So much easier.

#46 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Fake. Real is way too much work.

#47 Posted by cotubbs (18 posts) -

I live in a a decent sized apartment, but I don't have a lot of room for a huge tree. If I WERE to get a tree (my girlfriend is all about christmas), it would be a short fake one, just because of the size constraints. If I had the room AND the people to appreciate it, I would go real.

#48 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (164 posts) -

Fake, I don't like the clean up of real, although putting up the fake tree isn't much better.

#49 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

Fake. We had a real tree like 10 years ago and we're still finding needles. They're a nuiscance.

Moderator Online
#50 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

We've had a fake one my hole life because it's just easier.