Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
Needs more symbolism!
Needs more symbolism!
I feel like I've been hearing rumors about Red Steel 2 since the day after Red Steel came out. The din of rumormongering definitely peaked around the time Nintendo revealed Wii MotionPlus last year, but it all finally came to a head yesterday when the June cover for Nintendo Power revealed that, yeah, Red Steel 2 is coming to the Wii. Ubisoft confirmed this with an official press release today, which also stated that Red Steel 2 is being developed by Ubisoft Paris, will feature Wii MotionPlus support, and is scheduled to come out around holiday 2009. 

Perhaps most intriguing is that it seems Red Steel 2 will lose the modern-day Yakuza setting of the original. Ubisoft states that it will take place in a "desert-bound, high-tech metropolis," an assertion that the included artwork seems to back up. I'm all for crazy genre-blending, and the apparent combination of samurai, Western, and futuristic aesthetics sounds potentially quite compelling. The first Red Steel was, well, awful, but it had lots of very appealing gameplay ideas. Here's to hoping that Ubisoft Paris has been given plenty of time to do Red Steel 2 right.
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
Needs more symbolism!
Needs more symbolism!
I feel like I've been hearing rumors about Red Steel 2 since the day after Red Steel came out. The din of rumormongering definitely peaked around the time Nintendo revealed Wii MotionPlus last year, but it all finally came to a head yesterday when the June cover for Nintendo Power revealed that, yeah, Red Steel 2 is coming to the Wii. Ubisoft confirmed this with an official press release today, which also stated that Red Steel 2 is being developed by Ubisoft Paris, will feature Wii MotionPlus support, and is scheduled to come out around holiday 2009. 

Perhaps most intriguing is that it seems Red Steel 2 will lose the modern-day Yakuza setting of the original. Ubisoft states that it will take place in a "desert-bound, high-tech metropolis," an assertion that the included artwork seems to back up. I'm all for crazy genre-blending, and the apparent combination of samurai, Western, and futuristic aesthetics sounds potentially quite compelling. The first Red Steel was, well, awful, but it had lots of very appealing gameplay ideas. Here's to hoping that Ubisoft Paris has been given plenty of time to do Red Steel 2 right.
SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SuperZamrod

Red Steel had so much potential, but failed utterly.  Hopefully Red Steel 2 will be what Red Steel wasn't. 

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jared

Well, at least the controls will be better.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Rumour? We knew the game was coming... And that they scrapped it around 2007 to reboot it... And that it would use M+ after that was showcased. We knew it was coming, just not in what form. I like the theme, they've already confirmed some good things like a constant 60fps throughout, a cel shaded look (judging by the concept art it seems Prince of Persia-ish, but who knows), scrapped multiplayer to make a good single player experience, and other such details. It sounds promising, as long as they've fixed the actual gameplay, but there's no reason not to since there have been plenty of FPS titles that have shown them how they should have done it. Now the sword fighting, hopefully they do that fun.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The original Red Steel was certainly subpar, but with the Motion+ and some more development time Ubisoft could probably make a better game. We shall see.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Systech

Can they just confirm blood?

unclejohn0525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By unclejohn0525

Hope they can get this one right. FPS games on Wii have advanced, so I'm sure it will be much better.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB

The problem with having Wii Motion Plus support is that it seems like the game needs to be built around one mechanic or the other. Having 1-1 sword movement means you kind of need to know a little about actual swordfighting, which might turn the casual crowd away, but I think it would be awesome. The game could give you a little tutorial as it progresses. The other option is to make the swordplay basically waggle, or at least so crippled it would as easily be accomplished through button presses.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Scooper

So basicaly Red Steel 2 will be what Red Steel 1 should of been.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, it doesn't mean that you have to learn sword fighting. Just because your swings are replicated somewhat accurately doesn't mean the block function is also quite that involving (it's probably much easier than normal) or that the AI uses anything much more advanced than hit high, hit low, block high, block low, and whatever other move they script. Having Motion Plus support doesn't instantly make every game a sim. Grand Slam Tennis is not a tennis sim, and Wii Sports Resort is not a frisbee, jetski, swrod fighting sim. So, no turning away the mainstream audience.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fishinwithguns

Since the first one so badly failed to live up to expectations (which were high, at least for me), they should have just gone with a different name...make it one of those "spiritual successor" type deals.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Sunjammer

Watching dudes at E3'06 try to play Red Steel was one of the absolute highlights of going there (that, pitching our game to some of the most villainous investors i've ever encountered, and being terrified at realizing what a freaking huge guy Jeff Gerstmann was). Of all the demos they had on display, aside from the creepy rotating pavillion where some guy was playing MP3, Red Steel was the biggest cock block of that whole presentation. That enormous line, all that waiting, i'm ready to see the motherfucking FUTURE, and they show a game that looks like a bad Time Crisis with some of the glitchiest motion controls i've seen even since then. Just watching people try to open doors terrified me. It was hilarious, but at the same time it really broke my spirit about that console.

It seems like they finally want to make a real game though, not just "people think guns and swords when they think about the Wii, so let's make a game with guns and swords". An identity, and an understanding of the console. Methinks they've had enough time to learn. I'm tentatively excited.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

They haven't exactly used that time to learn. Other companies have, but not Ubisoft. But yes, they seem to be putting more effort in this one, and a few of their other titles like Anno.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Yes, I know that the first one sucked balls.

But that artwork makes me so goddamn psyched all over again.
utamaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By utamaru

they should just drop the whole red steel name. If this is going to be a good game, they don't want to associate it with the "prequel"

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By ch3burashka

Yay, more shoe-horned games for the accessory system!

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By insanejedi

The reasons why Red Steel sucked wasn't just because the controls were crappy. Remember the amazing voice acting? And the AI that was inferior to PC games back in the 90s? The dudes you would fight and liek teh magik they would disappear? Those awesome sword fights that were presented so piss poorly? The "story"?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JJOR64

I actually didn't mind the first Red Steel.  I did have its problems but, I enjoyed the ride.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By MeatSim

Why is such a horrible game getting a sequel.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Media_Master

hopefully it'll improve, a lot!