melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By melcene
@PeasantAbuse said:
" I'm assuming KISW is doing this?  I'll have to tune in if I decide to go anywhere today. "
Yeah, Jolene posted something about it yesterday, but all the DJs are doing it.  I haven't gotten to listen but sounds like it's basically grunge day on KISW.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Cobain's influence wasn't as great as everyone likes to think.

Imma listen to some Mudhoney instead because they were doing what Kurt way earlier and way better.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By iam3green

o i didn't know that. i knew that kurt died i didn't know the two died on the same day. they would have been great if they were still alive.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#54  Edited By Undeadpool

I've actually only recently discovered Alice in Chains, and I like a lot of what I hear (though the new singer is pretty lackluster) and I was always a bigger fan of Pearl Jam than Nirvana (our generation's Beatles/Stones), but I still recognize the impact he had on music and on a lot of very frustrated teens' lives. Having been one myself, I can certainly empathize. RIP indeed.

badwhodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By badwhodo

@KingWilly
said:

" @Bocam: I suppose you weren't there when it happened. It was one of those cultural moments that kind of sent shockwaves throughout our society, much like people of previous generations talk about where they were when Kennedy was shot, this was more or less the same deal for many people in April of 1994. It really can't be expressed adequately in words how surreal it all felt at the time, or how much Kurt's death in particular more or less killed what momentum grunge as genre had left. After Kurt died, it more or less just ended. It was like everyone was riding a weird high for two years or so and then sobriety kicked our collective teeth in.  I'm sure someone else would want to disagree, but honestly, that's what I remember from it. "

this 

i remember everything about the day Kurt died.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By RE_Player1
@blueduck Gotta say I'm liking what you are saying.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#57  Edited By JJWeatherman

I recently watch a documentary about Kurt's life. Pretty interesting. I wish I could remember what it was called. 

I was a young-un of the 90s though. I didn't realize how great these bands were until just a few years ago. I think Guitar Hero 3 actually started my love of Pearl Jam since Even Flow was part of the setlist. Ever since then they've been my favorite band and I've listened to so many of their live albums, it's ridiculous. I'm glad they're still around and making great. Too bad about Kurt and Layne, though. They made some great music as well.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Mikewrestler5

I was going to contribute to this thread, but I'd rather not. There are a lot of dumb fucks in here.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ajamafalous

I wonder how many plays Smells Like Teen Spirit will gain on YouTube today?

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By ptc

Layne Staley's music with AIC has had a much more profound effect on my life and times. 

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Spoonman671

This song still gives me chills.

Also, here's my namesake.  I'm guessing it will at least be appreciated in this thread, even if it's only tangentially related.

EDIT: And before I get too spammy, here's Layne after Alice in Chains when he was in a band called Mad Season.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Milkman
@blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @Bocam: I suppose you weren't there when it happened. It was one of those cultural moments that kind of sent shockwaves throughout our society, much like people of previous generations talk about where they were when Kennedy was shot, this was more or less the same deal for many people in April of 1994. It really can't be expressed adequately in words how surreal it all felt at the time, or how much Kurt's death in particular more or less killed what momentum grunge as genre had left. After Kurt died, it more or less just ended. It was like everyone was riding a weird high for two years or so and then sobriety kicked our collective teeth in.  I'm sure someone else would want to disagree, but honestly, that's what I remember from it. "
Linking Kurt Cobain's death to the assassination of Kennedy is insulting. "
I meant no offense. I am not going to sit here and tell someone one life was worth more than another, either. I was only trying to illustrate for someone who wasn't there how much of an impact that news had on an entire generation of people.  "
Not really an "entire generation" more like anyone is currently 27-31, white, and middle class.  "
Alright buddy, I understand it's rather popular to be contrarian in regards to cultural events and the popular opinion surrounding them, but this isn't really the place for it. "
So a thread about the cultural impact of their deaths isn't the place to discuss the cultural impact of their death? As I was pointing out it's only popular opinion to people who are 27-31, white, and from the middle class of America. Nice use of the word contrarian by the way! "
1. It's not only the popular opinion of people from 27-31. That's ridiculous.
2. That's the right use of the word contrarian.  
3. You're an idiot.
dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By dungbootle

RIP, both of them

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ryanwho

Im a fan of a few Nirvana songs, but yeah. Doing a bit of research into Kurt as a person shows he was a vain child and suicide was just part of his fame scheme. Its cool if you wanna buy into it. Bah-ah-ah-ah-ah. But I don't intend to deify the guy. It was a good band. So was Blind Melon. I'd rather celebrate Shannon Hoon for not intentionally killing himself for fame's sake like a little bitch. He died living. Why not celebrate people like that?

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By hexx462
@ajamafalous said:
" I wonder how many plays Smells Like Teen Spirit will gain on YouTube today? "
One could only hope that people actually look up better songs. I love Nirvana, but could go the rest of my life without hearing that song ever again.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Karl_Boss

Only date that concerns me is May 18th...and if you know why you get a cookie.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Zella
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" I'm not really a huge Nirvana or Cobain fan but I love AiC. RIP Layne. "
Same, I like some Nirvana but way prefer AiC. RIP Layne, sucks Starr has died now as well.
ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By ptys

Yeah grunge was really exciting when we were kids but those guys all imploded. I went to Eddie Vedder in Sydney last month and have to say he's one of the one's to make it out with his dignity intact, great musician.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Bocam said:
" While I like both bands, I don't see why their deaths should be treated as anything special "
Maybe because they are legends in the music industry?
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By Red12b

I'M THE MAN IN THE BOX!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Red12b said:
"

I'M THE MAN IN THE BOX!

"
BUUURIED IN MY SHIT.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By Red12b

Won't you come and save me?    
neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By neozeke
@blueduck said:

" @KingWilly said:

" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
Linking Kurt Cobain's death to the assassination of Kennedy is insulting. "
I meant no offense. I am not going to sit here and tell someone one life was worth more than another, either. I was only trying to illustrate for someone who wasn't there how much of an impact that news had on an entire generation of people.  "
Not really an "entire generation" more like anyone is currently 27-31, white, and middle class.  "
Hyperbole's fun isn't it? It may be because I'm from Washington, but a Hell of alot of people know who Kurt Cobain is, and almost all of them aren't 27-31 white, and middle class. More like Mixed race 14-38 and lower class ot upper middle class. Say what you will, Kurt Cobain did leave a huge mark in the collective social memory. Hell, places like Spencers and Hot Topic still sell Nirvana merch. Be it to "posers" or whatever, it shows that dem youngins are well aware of Nirvana. Shit, not only do specialty shops like HT and Spencers carry their merch, I've seen it at stores like Target and Khols. So maybe you should stop laying into kingwilly, he was just trying to illustrate a point by using a rather poorly selected comparison. And maybe just maybe you should leave this thread alone, it's clear you aren't a fan of Nirvana and Kurt, which is cool, honestly I only like some of their stuff, but you're upsetting the fans who are here to pay respect to musicians who met an unfortunate and untimely end due to their stupid choices.  So, I guess I'm saying you should leave, sorry if I've offended you in any way.
neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By neozeke
@Unknown_Pleasures: DOUBLE POST!

That's the day Ian Curtis of Joy Divison died right? 
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By keyhunter

More like KIRK NO BRAINS!! AM I RIGHT?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Karl_Boss
@neozeke: Yep! You win a cookie.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By hicks91

RIP Kurt Cobain, Green Day was one of the best bands of all time    

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By hicks91
@TooWalrus said:

" Have you ever read Cobain's suicide not? It's one of the steamiest piles of horse shit I've ever read. I was never a fan, in fact, I'd call him a pussy. "

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing." - RIP Kurt Cobain.    
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79  Edited By metalmoog

AiC have been my fave band forever. When I saw the Much Loud Layne Staley tribute show, I actually cried. AiC were such a huge part of my teenage years I was immensely saddened for him, having wasted his life and immense talent on Heroin, and was saddened for his band mates because of the loss of their best friend. Never in my life will I find a band that means as much to me as AiC did, and still does actually.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By zityz

I still like Alice in Chains. The new singer is okay, he's no layne However. Now you hear more of Jerry voice as well which is still not to bad.

Nirvana was okay, best thing to come out of that IMO was Dave Grohl, and the foundation of the Foo Fighters. 
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81  Edited By metalmoog

I must say after reading these posts, there are some massively cool and intelligent people on this site. Seems like a lot of us are around the same age range and appreciate music from our generation.  Glad to see so many of us that respect and appreciate the awesomeness that is Alice in Chains and the impact both bands had on music in general. Proud to be a G-Bomb member I am!

BionicSheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By BionicSheep
@hicks91 said:
" RIP Kurt Cobain, Green Day was one of the best bands of all time     "
"I don't wanna be an American Idiot" - Kurt Cobain RIP
Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By James_ex_machina

RIP. I was a big fan of the grunge movement. There needed to be something other then guys wearing makeup singing about boobs(although I love me some boobs) and grunge was a little more real. At least it seemed that way at the time.
RIP
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#84  Edited By jakob187

Cobain was a hack who wrote bad music.  I mean, sure, congratulations to him and Nirvana for killing the careers of Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, and the other 100 shitty artists of the time.  At the same time, having grown up during grunge, I can safely say that Nirvana was fucking terrible.

As for Layne, he is still missed.  Alice in Chains was some great shit, and Layne's vocals were part of the reason AiC had such a solid sound.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#85  Edited By Vinny_Says
@KingWilly said:

I meant no offense. I am not going to sit here and tell someone one life was worth more than another, either. I was only trying to illustrate for someone who wasn't there how much of an impact that news had on an entire generation of people.  

White, middle aged people can hardly be described as an entire generation.
Nonetheless, RIP to both of these musicians, them and Jimi Hendrix are perhaps the best things to come out of Washington state.