• 103 results
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Simplexity

You guys got way more people in jail than Norway has in general population, pretty crazy.

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By actionTACO

maybe because america believes in TRUE JUSTICE? unlike you liberal pussies in yurope, we believe that you can't do the time, don't do the crime. for example: 

Still in high school, Chance was 18 years old when he was arrested on drug possession charges. He was repeatedly raped, targeted in part because of his youth. Chance's struggles with homelessness, drug addiction, and mental health show how the devastation of sexual assault continues for years after survivors are released from detention.    

take that druggie scum. or: 

Bryson (formerly Kendell) 1963-2010, was raped by more than 25 other inmates over the course of nine months during his incarceration at an Arkansas state prison. He contracted HIV as a result of the attacks. Although he repeatedly reported the attacks, prison officials failed to provide Mr. Martel, who weighed only 123 pounds at the time, a safe housing environment. He lived in Michigan.

maybe don't drop the soap so much next time bry-dawg. oh wait, you're dead. owned. or perhaps: 

Powell, 48, died May 20, 2009, after being kept in a human cage in Goodyear's Perryville Prison for at least four hours in the blazing Arizona sun. This, despite a prison policy limiting such outside confinement to a maximum of two hours.

The county medical examiner found the cause of death to be due to complications from heat exposure. Her core body temperature upon examination was 108 degrees Fahrenheit. She suffered burns and blisters all over her body.

Witnesses say she was repeatedly denied water by corrections officers, though the c.o.'s deny this. The weather the day she collapsed from the heat (May 19 -- she died in the early morning hours of May 20) arched just above a 107 degree high.

According to a 3,000 page report released by the ADC, she pleaded to be taken back inside, but was ignored. Similarly, she was not allowed to use the restroom. When she was found unconscious, her body was covered with excrement from soiling herself.

let that be a lesson to all you would-be mentally ill prostitutes out there. owned.   
serious post: american prisons are disgusting, racist, inhumane gulags. if you support the correctional system or believe it to be in anyway just and fair, kill yourself you reprehensible piece of shit.   
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ryanwho

Taco chill out, your craziness is clouding the good point you might be making. A lot of small prison term crimes serve only to create more hardened criminals. That includes smalltime drug charges and prostitution, and putting those people in a room with rapists, gangsters and murderers. There's a fundamental problem there, but NOBODY IN THE WORLD has found a better way to run prisons. So its kind of a glass house thing. Plenty of smalltime criminals in Europe got fucked up even more going through the prison system, you just happen to have a smaller population. A small country is always going to have smaller figures, even if it has all of the same problems. At the end of the day, congresspeople know being "hard on drugs" is something that will get them votes and that will get voted through quickly. And that's why the system is how it is, that's why maximum penalties for drug use are so ridiculously disproportionate compared to, say, child molesters. 

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us-united-states/cri-crime  

Basically, drug offenses account for about 2/3 of the prison population, and if you look at the other high stats, I would guarantee a good chunk of them come from former inmates who learned new "survival traits", let's say, from their prison peers. Whoever decided it was a good idea to allow every brand of prisoner to just sit and talk shop with each other was a damn fool. Prison reeducation should come from professionals, not other inmates.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@beej said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
" I know too many criminals or duders with a bad habit of acting like criminals around here, but that's not america.  I say shoot em, make the world a happier place. "
Hells yeah! Fuck proportionality! Any notion of fairness can go eat a dick! Retributive justice? Not in MY AMERICA!  "

trying to embed the America Fuck Yeah video but it wont work  
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By dagas

Ship them off to Australia like the Britsh did =P 

People should be asking themselves why the US has such a high crime rate compared to the rest of the developed world.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Faint

7.3 Million in jail. 6 million on marijuana charges. (Well, maybe less than that... but still a hell of a lot)

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#57  Edited By Vinny_Says

Nobody gets put into jail by the secret police in the USA, It's not like there's a Stalin like figure that sends the NKVD to your house for no reason and sends you to prison. If you haven't done anything wrong you can sleep relatively safe at night.....amirite? No? no?.........

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ryanwho
@dagas said:

" Ship them off to Australia like the Britsh did =P  People should be asking themselves why the US has such a high crime rate compared to the rest of the developed world. "

High prison count=/=high crime rate.  
That must mean China has the worst criminals in the world, because there are so many executions. Surely everyone in prison deserves to be there. Why so many criminals America? Here are some fabulous 'crime free' places you should consider visiting: 
= 155  United Arab Emirates:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Niger:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Cuba:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Uganda:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Egypt:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Sudan:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Ethiopia:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Turkmenistan:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Comoros:0 per 100,000 people 
= 155  Zimbabwe:0 per 100,000 people 
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By FlyingRat

That's because your so called "Justice" system doesn't work.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60  Edited By Seppli
@ryanwho said:

" Taco chill out, your craziness is clouding the good point you might be making. A lot of small prison term crimes serve only to create more hardened criminals. That includes smalltime drug charges and prostitution, and putting those people in a room with rapists, gangsters and murderers. There's a fundamental problem there, but NOBODY IN THE WORLD has found a better way to run prisons. So its kind of a glass house thing. Plenty of smalltime criminals in Europe got fucked up even more going through the prison system, you just happen to have a smaller population. A small country is always going to have smaller figures, even if it has all of the same problems. At the end of the day, congresspeople know being "hard on drugs" is something that will get them votes and that will get voted through quickly. And that's why the system is how it is, that's why maximum penalties for drug use are so ridiculously disproportionate compared to, say, child molesters. 

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us-united-states/cri-crime   Basically, drug offenses account for about 2/3 of the prison population, and if you look at the other high stats, I would guarantee a good chunk of them come from former inmates who learned new "survival traits", let's say, from their prison peers. Whoever decided it was a good idea to allow every brand of prisoner to just sit and talk shop with each other was a damn fool. Prison reeducation should come from professionals, not other inmates. "

Personally, I believe crippling offenders would be more effective. Take a violent offenders strength (severing all ligaments and such). Take a fraudulent offenders voice and finger dexterity. Castrate sexual offenders. Not permanently of course. Just for as long as fits the crime. Not take away their freedom, but their means of doing again, what they did wrong.

On top of that, I'd strip them of the protection of the laws they broke. A murder on a convicted murderer isn't against the law, because the offender broke that law and is no longer protected by it. Let them face the horror and terror of the general population knowing what they did, without being 'safe and comfy' behind prison walls.

Those worthy of redemption will find it in the general populus. Monsters however will perish. One way or another. The only way to survive such a situation is to ask for help.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Sooty
Guns.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By mikemcn

You can get away with alot in the US. If we lived in North Korea where your entire family would be killed if you did something wrong, then we wouldn't have much crime at all. I don't plan on going to jail and I like to think Im smart enough to keep myself fairly safe so it really doesn't concern me.  

Also, you need to factor in how many of those people are in for minor things. 

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By Detrian
@blacklabeldomm said:
" Nobody gets put into jail by the secret police in the USA, It's not like there's a Stalin like figure that sends the NKVD to your house for no reason and sends you to prison. If you haven't done anything wrong you can sleep relatively safe at night.....amirite? No? no?......... "
Unless you are not white, yeah.
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By l4wd0g
@RsistncE said:

" @l4wd0g said:

" @RsistncE said:

" @l4wd0g said:

IThe Charles Manson thing I was just throwing that subject out there for discussion. "

The death penalty should never be used in any civilized nation. Why? We already know there have been innocent people MURDERED by the state (further supported by members of the public). Therefore by death penalty standards, anyone who helped in the murder of those innocents should also be put to death. The death penalty is paradoxical and completely nonsensical because the fact also remains that it hasn't decreased crime rates at all. Additionally, the death penalty only further propagates the problem that many modern day legal systems are just euphemistic forms of vengeance. I'm sorry, but we should be addressing the root of the problem and that is: Why are these crimes being committed in the first place and how can we prevent them from occurring? "

Umm... I don't know if I should touch this or not.   Ehh screw it.   So, if i believe in the death penalty I'm uncivilized? That seems to be what your first sentence is saying.   There is a difference between killing and murder. Murder is unlawful killing of a person.  Killing is to deprive someone of life. Killing is also considered to be lawful.  Soldiers who die in combat are killed. Diseases kill. Murderers murder. Make sense?   Yes, I'm sure the system has put innocent people to death. It's unfortunate. However, they still went through due process and multiple appeals.   The death penalty is a deterrent for rational people. However, not everyone is rational when the commit a crime worthy of the death penalty.  The potential for negative consequences deters some behavior. The possibility of being executed does not contradict this.    Why are crimes being committed? Simple answer is that we're human.  We're not perfect. We're selfish. We give ourselves completely over to lust, greed, sloth, gluttony, wraith, envy, and the most damning,  pride. Sometimes those things will damn us and destroy our lives.  If you're relgious or not, it doesn't matter, when something completely consumes you, you are lost. "
I never said you're uncivilized for believing in the death penalty. You're making an unfounded extension out of my first claim. Of course I can't blame you for making such a connection; the death penalty is pretty damn fucking archaic. I understand the difference between murder and killing. What I'm telling you is that we know there have been MANY people who were put to death who were innocent. That is murder committed by the state and by the public that supported the sentence. By extension the state and the people who supported the sentence should also now be put to death. The punishment should fit the crime according to many people here. It's funny how right Gandhi was: "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind."  You've made a massive error by lumping crimes into rational and irrational. Crimes that can't be prevented are usually ones such as crimes of passion or compulsion. These crimes as you pointed out can't be prevented so the death penalty is useless here. Other crimes - typically those associated with financial gain - CAN be prevented but not by instigating the death penalty. Notice that the vast majority of crimes are committed by those living in low income situations who also come from low income backgrounds. It's the poor that commit most crimes in this category. This is where the problem stems from, the fact that there are far too many individuals who are living in low income situations. The death penalty won't ever stop these crimes from being committed as is evidence further by the numbers.  Murder rates (per capita) are higher in death penalty states than in non-death penalty states (in the US). Yeah, I know that this in and of itself can't be used to say outright that the death penalty leads to an increase in murders, after all, correlation doesn't equal causation and there could be lurking variables. I mean who knows, maybe it's the heat in Texas or maybe people are just really stupid there, BUT, one would reasonably expect that if the death penalty was working as a deterrent in these states that the murder rates would be dropping over the long term...and they are, but no faster than rates are dropping in the non-death penalty states. Hell, in some cases they're even dropping slower than in non-death penalty states.  That last bit about humans no being perfect reeks of religion and religion has no place in the decision making processes that decide the fate of human lives, so I'm not going to address it at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.  At the end of the day if you are willing to support the death penalty then you are willingly admitting that you believe it is OK to kill a human being (outside of situations where your life is immediately threatened). This statement alone opens up a huge moral quagmire, one that would swallow the entire death penalty debate with ease. "
I should have just left this alone.  You make good points, here are some of my thoughts. feel free to comment.

The death penalty should never be used in any civilized nation 

How do I say this kindly, what you're doing here is manipulating the reader. You have established that the uncivilized support the death penalty, and the civilized do not. 

What I'm telling you is that we know there have been MANY people who were put to death who were innocent.

Many is a relative term. (I'm not trying to be an ass). How many is many? Are you counting the witch trials, or the modern court system?

You've made a massive error by lumping crimes into rational and irrational. Crimes that can't be prevented are usually ones such as crimes of passion or compulsion. These crimes as you pointed out can't be prevented so the death penalty is useless here. Other crimes - typically those associated with financial gain - CAN be prevented but not by instigating the death penalty.

Yes, there are rational and irrational crimes. Most financial criminals are not sentenced to death. However, when a crime goes wrong and someone is gunned down in cold blood, then the offender is in danger of a death sentence. Most murders are indeed rational decisions. Gang violence, assassinations, and robberies attached to murder. Those are rational crimes. 

This is where the problem stems from, the fact that there are far too many individuals who are living in low income situations. The death penalty won't ever stop these crimes from being committed as is evidence further by the numbers.

So,  the poor are  incapable of stopping themselves from committing capital murder!?  Over 99% of all persons, including the poor,  restrain themselves from committing capital murder. And there is, of course, no excuse for anyone that commits capital murder.     

Murder rates (per capita) are higher in death penalty states than in non-death penalty states (in the US). Yeah, I know that this in and of itself can't be used to say outright that the death penalty leads to an increase in murders, after all, correlation doesn't equal causation and there could be lurking variables. 

General or systemic deterrence is not necessarily measured by low or reduced homicide rates, but by rates that are lower than they otherwise would be if the death penalty was not present.

The incapacitation effect saves lives. By executing murderers you prevent them from murdering again and do, thereby, save innocent life. 

Yeah, I know that this in and of itself can't be used to say outright that the death penalty leads to an increase in murders, after all, correlation doesn't equal causation and there could be lurking variables. I mean who knows, maybe it's the heat in Texas or maybe people are just really stupid there, BUT, one would reasonably expect that if the death penalty was working as a deterrent in these states that the murder rates would be dropping over the long term...and they are, but no faster than rates are dropping in the non-death penalty states.

The highest murder rate in Houston, Texas occurred in 1981, with 701 murders. Texas resumed executions in 1982. Since that time, Houston (Harris County) has executed more murderers than any other city or state (except Texas) AND has seen the greatest reduction in murder, 701 in 1981 down to 261 in 1996 - a 63% reduction.

That last bit about humans no being perfect reeks of religion and religion has no place in the decision making processes that decide the fate of human lives, so I'm not going to address it at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong of course. 

Mostly social commentary. Perfection is the ideal model.  If you are religious or not religious, it does not matter, as we are all flawed in some way.  No one does everything “right” all the time.  The inclusuion of the deadly seven sins were examples of the ways many people are flawed.

As for religion in the decision making process...  that's a debate for another day.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Meowshi
@Chabbs0 said:
" And 99% of people are religious in US jails.      Hides. "
The vast majority of people are religious.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Meowshi
@Seppli said:
" @ryanwho said:

" Taco chill out, your craziness is clouding the good point you might be making. A lot of small prison term crimes serve only to create more hardened criminals. That includes smalltime drug charges and prostitution, and putting those people in a room with rapists, gangsters and murderers. There's a fundamental problem there, but NOBODY IN THE WORLD has found a better way to run prisons. So its kind of a glass house thing. Plenty of smalltime criminals in Europe got fucked up even more going through the prison system, you just happen to have a smaller population. A small country is always going to have smaller figures, even if it has all of the same problems. At the end of the day, congresspeople know being "hard on drugs" is something that will get them votes and that will get voted through quickly. And that's why the system is how it is, that's why maximum penalties for drug use are so ridiculously disproportionate compared to, say, child molesters. 

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us-united-states/cri-crime   Basically, drug offenses account for about 2/3 of the prison population, and if you look at the other high stats, I would guarantee a good chunk of them come from former inmates who learned new "survival traits", let's say, from their prison peers. Whoever decided it was a good idea to allow every brand of prisoner to just sit and talk shop with each other was a damn fool. Prison reeducation should come from professionals, not other inmates. "

Personally, I believe crippling offenders would be more effective. Take a violent offenders strength (severing all ligaments and such). Take a fraudulent offenders voice and finger dexterity. Castrate sexual offenders. Not permanently of course. Just for as long as fits the crime. Not take away their freedom, but their means of doing again, what they did wrong.  On top of that, I'd strip them of the protection of the laws they broke. A murder on a convicted murderer isn't against the law, because the offender broke that law and is no longer protected by it. Let them face the horror and terror of the general population knowing what they did, without being 'safe and comfy' behind prison walls.  Those worthy of redemption will find it in the general populus. Monsters however will perish. One way or another. The only way to survive such a situation is to ask for help. "

HAHAHahahahahahHAAHHAHAHhaah.

Oh my god.

This thread is killing me.

I can't believe you people make up the voting populace of this country, hahahahahaha!
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#68  Edited By KarlPilkington
@Meowshi said:
" @Chabbs0 said:
The vast majority of people are religious. "
In America yes, but in the UK 45.7% are Atheists.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RsistncE
@l4wd0g: You know what, I'm sorry I started this. You probably don't want to get into a huge argument on the forums so how about we just leave it at this? You have your points I have mine :D
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ryanwho
@Meowshi said:
" @Seppli said:
" @ryanwho said:

Personally, I believe crippling offenders would be more effective. Take a violent offenders strength (severing all ligaments and such). Take a fraudulent offenders voice and finger dexterity. Castrate sexual offenders. Not permanently of course. Just for as long as fits the crime. Not take away their freedom, but their means of doing again, what they did wrong.  On top of that, I'd strip them of the protection of the laws they broke. A murder on a convicted murderer isn't against the law, because the offender broke that law and is no longer protected by it. Let them face the horror and terror of the general population knowing what they did, without being 'safe and comfy' behind prison walls.  Those worthy of redemption will find it in the general populus. Monsters however will perish. One way or another. The only way to survive such a situation is to ask for help. "
HAHAHahahahahahHAAHHAHAHhaah.  Oh my god.  This thread is killing me.  I can't believe you people make up the voting populace of this country, hahahahahaha! "
Yep, people like that make up the majority. That's why cruel and unusual punishment is totally legal, cus everyone agrees with that one guy. Great observation, you fucking joker.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Meowshi
@ryanwho said:

" @Meowshi said:

" @Seppli said:
" @ryanwho said:

HAHAHahahahahahHAAHHAHAHhaah.  Oh my god.  This thread is killing me.  I can't believe you people make up the voting populace of this country, hahahahahaha! "
Yep, people like that make up the majority. That's why cruel and unusual punishment is totally legal, cus everyone agrees with that one guy. Great observation, you fucking joker. "
I don't want to interrupt your righteous indignation, but that's not what I was saying.  I suppose I should have said, "I can't believe you people make up part of the voting populace of this country".  I'll be sure to be real specific from this moment on.  
iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By iKANNIBAL

Well when you look at America's population it even's itself out a bit, More people? there will more than likely be more cases of crime, but more people also means you have a greater ratio of attractive people in the country muahahaha! Hell California alone has a larger population than most countries add to the fact America is far more multicultural than various other populations and yea....you get the picture. To be honest considering how diverse we are i'm shocked we havn't all killed each other its a miracle, were doing better than Rome did!

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Fajita_Jim

My cousin is in prison in Texas for growing psilocybin mushrooms, and there are rapist and murderers who have shorter sentences than he does. He didn't even have any weapons, just mushrooms.

Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By Bonsai
@Seppli said:

" @ryanwho said:

You know that doing all that is not only a very outdated form of "justice"(it's really akin to going back to chopping off a thieves hand), but the surgery to both safely sever ligaments, and then repair them, is likely more expensive than just imprisoning them.
Also, are you aware of the Hippocratic Oath that doctors swear to? Your suggested punishment would completely violate it, and the only people left to do the surgery wouldn't be trained to do it in a way that could be fixed.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Meowshi

Of course none of that is comparable to the fact that you're basically saying that killing people is alright in certain circumstances, which will only make people question whether or not it's actually wrong at all.  I'm not against the death penalty, but that's my number one problem with it. 

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By bombHills

Like another user posted, it's non-violent drug offenders making up a large number.

Almost 900,000 people were arrested on marijuana crimes last year alone, and 80% of that is for simple possession. We despratly need change, but the people who benefit from this are so ingrained into the political system, Prison Gard Unions, Privatized Prisons, Drug Courts, Correction Facilitys, Parroll Officers, Police Officers, and this list goes on and on. There is money involved in busting cannabis users and growers, Federal grants are given to city police departments when they make drug busts. What makes this worse is the way the media and government portray marijuana, many people see through the reefer maddness, but a lot of people don't. So the moment you start talking about the failed drug war and how marijuana prohibition is a terrible thing for this country many people just tune you out. They don't want to hear it. I urge anyone living in the USA who realizes that we need to fix this to get involved. Contact state representatives, be informed so you can discuss this with friends, family, and co-workers.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Seppli
@Bonsai said:

" @Seppli said:

" @ryanwho said:

You know that doing all that is not only a very outdated form of "justice"(it's really akin to going back to chopping off a thieves hand), but the surgery to both safely sever ligaments, and then repair them, is likely more expensive than just imprisoning them. Also, are you aware of the Hippocratic Oath that doctors swear to? Your suggested punishment would completely violate it, and the only people left to do the surgery wouldn't be trained to do it in a way that could be fixed. "
Ain't got the specific numbers, yet you can be fairly certain that the average prisoner costs around 100k dollars each year. Crippling offenders instead of incarcerating them, will be cheaper. The other upside is refraining from creating a criminal microcosm, which a prison is. Prisons are often referred to as 'Crime College'. The only way for a cripple to survive in this world, is by the kindness of others. So this too is another oppurtunity to learn a valuable lesson. Way better than whatever you'll learn in prison.

Also, it's pretty fucking scary to face the general populus knowing your crimes when being crippled. A way better deterrent than incarceration. Literally, facing a jury of your peers.

I say, cripple them appropriately, mark them visibly, chip them with gps, alert and inform the public about them and release them into the general populus. King Solomon himself couldn't handle modern crime more appropriately.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By kishan6

Well my cousins been arrested multiple times... 

and it may be a scary stat but to me its really not particularly surprising

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Seppli
@Bonsai: 

Also - crippling is a lot easier and cheaper than fixing a human being. You'd probably not even need a doctor. Well designed crippling tools and well trained crippling officers will do the job just fine.

When somebody's term is up, fixing them up to working condition will be more tricky. Good thing medical personnel and their code of honor ain't got no problem with such a thing.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Seppli
@bombHills said:

" Like another user posted, it's non-violent drug offenders making up a large number.  Almost 900,000 people were arrested on marijuana crimes last year alone, and 80% of that is for simple possession. We despratly need change, but the people who benefit from this are so ingrained into the political system, Prison Gard Unions, Privatized Prisons, Drug Courts, Correction Facilitys, Parroll Officers, Police Officers, and this list goes on and on. There is money involved in busting cannabis users and growers, Federal grants are given to city police departments when they make drug busts. What makes this worse is the way the media and government portray marijuana, many people see through the reefer maddness, but a lot of people don't. So the moment you start talking about the failed drug war and how marijuana prohibition is a terrible thing for this country many people just tune you out. They don't want to hear it. I urge anyone living in the USA who realizes that we need to fix this to get involved. Contact state representatives, be informed so you can discuss this with friends, family, and co-workers. "

Prohibition is fascism. The war on drugs is the true crime. Legalize all drugs. The governement takes over the drug trade from production to distribution.

Non-functional abusers will be stripped from some of their basic rights and put into forced labor in return for their daily drug fix and other basic needs. Addiction is a form of mental illness (rather weakness), that's how it's justified.

Right now, the general populus has given up on many addicts. Given up responsibility for their peers at their weakest hour. Given them up to criminals. The worst people of all.
Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Ghostin

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Gabriel
@Chabbs0 said:
" @l4wd0g said:
" @Chabbs0 said:
Huh? "
83% of people in US prisons are Christian. 0.21% are Atheists.    Well at least according to some survey (that's 10 years old), maybe not a reliable source then but still interesting. "
Your an idiot for taking that so far out of context and running with it. Most of the country is still casually Christian, and most likely those people are converted while they are in prison. That's why you have so many Biker Churches. 
Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Buscemi

That's like only two million less than the population of my country!

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#84  Edited By KarlPilkington
@Gabriel said:
" @Chabbs0 said:
" @l4wd0g said:
" @Chabbs0 said:
Huh? "
83% of people in US prisons are Christian. 0.21% are Atheists.    Well at least according to some survey (that's 10 years old), maybe not a reliable source then but still interesting. "
Your an idiot for taking that so far out of context and running with it. Most of the country is still casually Christian, and most likely those people are converted while they are in prison. That's why you have so many Biker Churches.  "
It's you're btw 

I was only stirring, and I even questioned the reliability of the source.
mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mshaw006
@Seppli said: 
" How many of 'em do you know personally or by association? Have you ever been incarcerated? Why are so many Americans convicted criminals? Is it safe to travel to the US? Do you feel safe livin' in the US? What the hell's going on over the big pond in your front yard? That's an 'effin scary statistic. "

None. No. Do you want an essay? Yes. Yes. What?
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

The race distributions are a serious issue here as well...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By FacelessVixen

1 in every 11 African American adults is in jail or prison

So I'm a part of the lucky 10 out of the 11 that aren't in jail or prison.
Sweet.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Meowshi
@TheSilentTruth said:
"

1 in every 11 African American adults is in jail or prison

So I'm a part of the lucky 10 out of the 11 that aren't in jail or prison.
Sweet.

"
Me too! 
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Meowshi
@Seppli said:
" @Bonsai said:

" @Seppli said:

" @ryanwho said:

You know that doing all that is not only a very outdated form of "justice"(it's really akin to going back to chopping off a thieves hand), but the surgery to both safely sever ligaments, and then repair them, is likely more expensive than just imprisoning them. Also, are you aware of the Hippocratic Oath that doctors swear to? Your suggested punishment would completely violate it, and the only people left to do the surgery wouldn't be trained to do it in a way that could be fixed. "
Ain't got the specific numbers, yet you can be fairly certain that the average prisoner costs around 100k dollars each year. Crippling offenders instead of incarcerating them, will be cheaper. The other upside is refraining from creating a criminal microcosm, which a prison is. Prisons are often referred to as 'Crime College'. The only way for a cripple to survive in this world, is by the kindness of others. So this too is another oppurtunity to learn a valuable lesson. Way better than whatever you'll learn in prison.  Also, it's pretty fucking scary to face the general populus knowing your crimes when being crippled. A way better deterrent than incarceration. Literally, facing a jury of your peers.  I say, cripple them appropriately, mark them visibly, chip them with gps, alert and inform the public about them and release them into the general populus. King Solomon himself couldn't handle modern crime more appropriately. "
You are a ridiculous cartoon of a human being.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Scooper

In 1997, almost 80% of people in US prisons were Christian while 0.2% were Atheists.   
Note that atheists, being a moderate proportion of the USA population (about 8 - 16%) are disproportionately less in the prison populations (0.21%) (1997 figures).
This proves that being religious does not mean the person is more likely to be good. In fact some could argue against that. 

Just stirring the pot a bit. 
I also heard somewhere (I think it was on QI) that there are more 17 - 19 African Americans in prison than in education (college). That's a depressing statistic.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Seppli: You seem pretty medieval in your way of thinking up punishments.
Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bonsai
@Seppli: 
Yes it's cheaper to break someone, but that is exactly what you are doing, BREAKING them. There is a large chance that they will never heal correctly, even with a professional attempting to fix the damage it's a tricky procedure. And you seem to have ignored the fact that it goes against the Eighth Amendment. The one that says Cruel and Unusual Punishment is illegal. If you don't know, that means you can't punish someone in a way that causes humiliation or suffering directly from the punishment.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ryanwho
@Scooper said:
" In 1997, almost 80% of people in US prisons were Christian while 0.2% were Atheists.    Note that atheists, being a moderate proportion of the USA population (about 8 - 16%) are disproportionately less in the prison populations (0.21%) (1997 figures).This proves that being religious does not mean the person is more likely to be good. In fact some could argue against that.  Just stirring the pot a bit. I also heard somewhere (I think it was on QI) that there are more 17 - 19 African Americans in prison than in education (college). That's a depressing statistic. "
You're making false correlations. Plenty of people find god in prison, how does that factor in? It doesn't, because you're just trying to make false correlations. Most people in positions of power aren't atheist. Must mean religious people have more drive, right? No. False correlations.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Scooper
@ryanwho said:

"Most people in positions of power aren't atheist. Must mean religious people have more drive, right? No. False correlations. "

Most people (Infact, 99.9% of politicians) in power will not be openly Atheist because if they do they do not get voted for. That's simple. That's more worrying I think that a country that's meant to be free and open to all religions and creeds where you have to conform to 1 belief to have any chance of attaining any sort of power to how your country is run. That's not safe or logical.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ryanwho
@Scooper said:
" @ryanwho said:

"Most people in positions of power aren't atheist. Must mean religious people have more drive, right? No. False correlations. "

Most people (Infact, 99.9% of politicians) in power will not be openly Atheist because if they do they do not get voted for. That's simple. That's more worrying I think that a country that's meant to be free and open to all religions and creeds where you have to conform to 1 belief to have any chance of attaining any sort of power to how your country is run. That's not safe or logical. "
So people in power are secret atheists and everyone in prison was religious before going into prison. You're molding your own narrative out of thin air, bro.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Scooper
@ryanwho said:
" @Scooper said:
" @ryanwho said:

Most people (Infact, 99.9% of politicians) in power will not be openly Atheist because if they do they do not get voted for. That's simple. That's more worrying I think that a country that's meant to be free and open to all religions and creeds where you have to conform to 1 belief to have any chance of attaining any sort of power to how your country is run. That's not safe or logical. "
So people in power are secret atheists and everyone in prison was religious before going into prison. You're molding your own narrative out of thin air, bro. "
I've never said anything of the like. I'm just stating the stats. I never said people in power are secret Atheists just the ones that are (I don't know the percentage) are forced to stay in silence or they'll loose their seat or whatever and that can not be healthy. It's the same as if a politician in the Middle East tried to get the vote while not praising Allah at the same time. It's not fair or just. 

I'm also sure there's prisoners of a percentage greater than 0.2% that are Atheist but won't ever be open about it because if they did they'd be murdered. Imagine being openly Atheist in the prisons of the southern bible belt. You'd be killed before breakfast. I'm also sure many turn to God (out of desperation of the situation and the miserable future laid ahead) while in prison. 

Of course the numbers won't be completely acurate but I don't think it's out by more than a few percent. The trend still stands. 
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Seppli
@Meowshi: 

How's that?

How's crippling manslaughterers or murderers worse than incarcerating them? Putting people in a cage together with the worst kind of people is a way worse offense against humanity than crippling them physically.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#98  Edited By melcene

Here's the problem:  Look at this thread.  No one can agree on what should be done with criminals.  Punishment or rehabilitation?  And whichever way you go, how do you do it?   

As for you Europeans going on about the scary number of 7.3 million, that's all of TWO PERCENT of the US population.  Sorry that seven million seems like a ton to you.  It's a drop in the bucket to us.   

Yes, prisons are definitely a problem for recidivism.  So are gangs. 

That's another thing I don't think European countries really understand is the gang element in the US.  When our prison gang population alone (not even talking our street gang population) is enough to rival some of your country populations, I don't think you can even begin to try to understand the problems we face here.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#99  Edited By mzuckerm
@Inkerman: Where'd you get that stat?  The numbers I find suggest the TOTAL number of death row inmates in the US is a bit over 3000 (source here).  And given that the total number of executions in America since 1976 is around 1200, it seems likely to me that many of those people won't actually be executed.
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By inkerman
@mzuckerm said:
" @Inkerman: Where'd you get that stat?  The numbers I find suggest the TOTAL number of death row inmates in the US is a bit over 3000 (source here).  And given that the total number of executions in America since 1976 is around 1200, it seems likely to me that many of those people won't actually be executed. "
Yeah, sorry I misquoted, that's 7000 minors serving life without parole. Which I suppose is like an extended death sentence.