Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Currently in the United States...

More People Behind Bars Than Anywhere Else
 More People Behind Bars Than Anywhere Else

1 in every 31 adult persons is either in jail or prison or on parole or probation. That amounts to 7.3 million Americans. The statistical breakdown of the U.S. correction system aggregation is as follows:

• 1 in every 45 Americans is on parole or probation
  • 1 in every 100 Americans is in jail or prison
  • 1 in every 11 African American adults is in jail or prison
  • 1 in every 27 Hispanic American adults is in jail or prison
  • 1 in every 45 White American adults is in jail or prison

How many of 'em do you know personally or by association? Have you ever been incarcerated? Why are so many Americans convicted criminals? Is it safe to travel to the US? Do you feel safe livin' in the US? What the hell's going on over the big pond in your front yard? That's an 'effin scary statistic.
goth_bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By goth_bacon

Yes that's a problem.  But at least we don't kill people for witchcraft like Saudi Arabia.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Dont do the crime if you cant do the time...

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I know one guy who was on house arrest and probation but that's it. Those statistics are alarming, but what can we do about it? Build more YMCA's?

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jimmi
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" Dont do the crime if you cant do the time... "
Obviously they can do the time, so let's just go with "Don't do the crime."
Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Phog_of_War

How about non-violent drug offenders??  In 2009 the goverment incarcerated around 250,000 non violent offenders for drugs.   

Now, given that the US has the most prisons in the world and that we have, at one time or another, about 20% of the population of the US in prison, doesent it stand to maybe focus all that time and, most importantly, money on education and rehab rather than have them in jail and be a burden on the economy?  Just 1 regular inmate with no medical issues will cost the goverment around $29,000 annually, that price tag is even higher if the inmate is in a Federal prison or a state run Supermax prison for the most dangerous offenders.   

Put this up aginst a country like, say, the Netherlands.  They have legalized, taxed and regulated, all drugs in their country and the crime rate, both violent and non-violent, went down dramaticly.  So much so that they are closing prisons there and are taking prisoners from Belgium to fill up the remaing prisons.  Put in simpler terms, the Netherlands have run out of criminals.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By KarlPilkington

And 99% of people are religious in US jails.      Hides.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By meteora

Those rates are alarming. :3 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I know too many criminals or duders with a bad habit of acting like criminals around here, but that's not america.

I say shoot em, make the world a happier place.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By JB16

Most of my childhood friends are in jail now. Out of everyone I knew, only 3 of my childhood friends are not in jail for one reason or another. One of my closest childhood friends get out of jail in February.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By benjaebe
@goth_bacon said:
" Yes that's a problem.  But at least we don't kill people for witchcraft like Saudi Arabia. "
Speak for yourself.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

I think when you have THAT many people in the correction system, the issue is with the strictness of the law and not necessarily with the general population. 

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

The weird thing about that statistic is that the crime rate has actually decreased.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
@goth_bacon said:
" Yes that's a problem.  But at least we don't kill people for witchcraft like Saudi Arabia. "
What do they have to do with the US prison system?
Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rattle618
@goth_bacon said:
Yeah, cause killing makes a lot more sense when it´s done for 10 bucks or cause you were born on the wrong side of the street or cause someone picks on you in highschool. This is not the best argument to defend your way of life (not that Im defending any sort of killing).
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By natetodamax

Not surprised by those statistics, honestly.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MaddProdigy
@Phog_of_War said:
" How about non-violent drug offenders??  In 2009 the goverment incarcerated around 250,000 non violent offenders for drugs.    Now, given that the US has the most prisons in the world and that we have, at one time or another, about 20% of the population of the US in prison, doesent it stand to maybe focus all that time and, most importantly, money on education and rehab rather than have them in jail and be a burden on the economy?  Just 1 regular inmate with no medical issues will cost the goverment around $100,000 annually, that price tag is even higher if the inmate is in a Federal prison or a state run Supermax prison for the most dangerous offenders.    Put this up aginst a country like, say, the Netherlands.  They have legalized, taxed and regulated, all drugs in their country and the crime rate, both violent and non-violent, went down dramaticly.  So much so that they are closing prisons there and are taking prisoners from Belgium to fill up the remaing prisons.  Put in simpler terms, the Netherlands have run out of criminals. "
Whether you mean we have 20% of the U.S. population is in prison right now (7.3 million does not = 20 million) or 20% of the people in the U.S. have been in prison (ridiculous, 1/5 of the people here have not been to prison) 20% is the most ridiculous statistic ever. In addition, I smoke weed every day and I definitely don't agree with you man. Since when can you apply "well it worked in this totally different country with totally different people under totally different conditions" to a different one? Those 250,000 offenders were arrested for drug possession, but because the crime they got caught doing was non violent doesn't mean they aren't violent people. They might be murderous, meth dealing rapists who just happened to get caught selling a bag of meth one day. Yeah, tons of pot dealers are in prison that shouldn't be, but the numbers aren't staggering. In addition, the rest of that argument (the Netherlands example) is completely irrevelant. The Netherlands has a population of around 20 million, the United States has a population of around 400 or 450 million. The Netherlands is small, making it easy to police and control. The United States is huge, meaning if drugs were any form of legal they would be everywhere in insane quantities. On top of that the two countries are different in a million different ways, that argument is worthless. 

And do you really want drug dealers wandering the streets? Maybe you just smoke bud all day and think it sounds great, but lots of those non violent offenders are in there for dealing meth and crack and shit. Those people are fucked up, and definitely deserve to be locked up. If you think they cost too much, argue that we should lower their living quality not let them go. Why do they get 3 square meals when good homeless homies go hungry? It's not like in Mexico they cry for the conditions of the jails. Americans are just a bunch of pussies I swear, we fight for the stupidest things like prisoners "rights" and living conditions. 
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By beej
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" I know too many criminals or duders with a bad habit of acting like criminals around here, but that's not america.  I say shoot em, make the world a happier place. "
Hells yeah! Fuck proportionality! Any notion of fairness can go eat a dick! Retributive justice? Not in MY AMERICA! 
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By mazik765
@goth_bacon said:
" Yes that's a problem.  But at least we don't kill people for witchcraft like Saudi Arabia. "this is true
This is true. Although the US might have a higher ration of imprisonment but I wonder if that takes into account countries that don't bother with the whole prison thing and just skip right to the death by stoning thing.
danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By danimal_furry

That's after Florida released all of theirs?
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazik765 said:
" @goth_bacon said:
" Yes that's a problem.  But at least we don't kill people for witchcraft like Saudi Arabia. "this is true
This is true. Although the US might have a higher ration of imprisonment but I wonder if that takes into account countries that don't bother with the whole prison thing and just skip right to the death by stoning thing. "
What does that have to do with the statistics posted?
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seppli
@danimal_furry said:

" That's after Florida released all of theirs? "

It's from an article released on March 10, 2009.

Link is HERE.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli
@mazik765 said:

" @goth_bacon said:

This is true. Although the US might have a higher ration of imprisonment but I wonder if that takes into account countries that don't bother with the whole prison thing and just skip right to the death by stoning thing. "
Interesting is, that the article talks specifically about adult convicts. I wonder how much worse such statistics would look, if juvenile delinquents would factor in.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Jimmi said:
" @TheDudeOfGaming said:
" Dont do the crime if you cant do the time... "
Obviously they can do the time, so let's just go with "Don't do the crime." "
Most importantly, "Don't drop the soap." haha.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@beej said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
" I know too many criminals or duders with a bad habit of acting like criminals around here, but that's not america.  I say shoot em, make the world a happier place. "
Hells yeah! Fuck proportionality! Any notion of fairness can go eat a dick! Retributive justice? Not in MY AMERICA!  "
Took your meds yet or are you always this much fun to be around?^^
Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Phog_of_War
@MaddProdigy:
All good points.  But you cant deny that the US prison system is broken.  Or more to the point it works perfectly for the Industrial Prision Complex this country has.   

Aside from my admitedly skewed statistic (sorry, got lazy there) the issue of proper funding for education and rehabilation still stands.  Going to prison is like going to Grad school for criminals.  Thats a broad, blanket statement but its true for the most part.  I just think that the US has gotten it all wrong on this issue. 

This country has a sort of "If there is a problem, throw money at it until it goes away" attitude.  Well we taxpayers have thrown alot of cash around at this and what has it done for us?? 

Also we have more people incaraced now in 2011 in the US than the old USSR and China COMBINED during the height of their closed society Cold War days.  That, my friends, is fucked up.
endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By endless_void

So many damn people. I wonder how much tax money it takes to take care of all those people.

Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Phog_of_War
@endless_void:
Bout $29,000...each.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By beej
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @beej said:
Hells yeah! Fuck proportionality! Any notion of fairness can go eat a dick! Retributive justice? Not in MY AMERICA!  "
Took your meds yet or are you always this much fun to be around?^^ "
I'm always this much fun, sometimes I forget to find stuff like that humorous. 
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By Sooperspy

1 in every 11 African American adult is in jail? Damn!

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By l4wd0g
@Chabbs0 said:
" And 99% of people are religious in US jails.      Hides. "
Huh?
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By l4wd0g
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @mazik765 said:
" @goth_bacon said:
What does that have to do with the statistics posted? "
Are you talking about comparing Saudi crime rates to US crime rates?

They'll be lower, but that doesn't mean it's a good system.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By KarlPilkington
@l4wd0g said:
" @Chabbs0 said:
" And 99% of people are religious in US jails.      Hides. "
Huh? "
83% of people in US prisons are Christian. 
0.21% are Atheists. 

Well at least according to some survey (that's 10 years old), maybe not a reliable source then but still interesting.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toowalrus

And my supervisor at the pizza joint where I work just joined them. Shame.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By l4wd0g
@beej said:

Yes, and no right? I mean what's ' fair' to the victim? The punishment should fit the crime. 

Paris Hilton has far less harsh sentences (not the pleural) than anyone else who has a DUI.  

Should the tax payers pay to keep Charles Manson alive? 
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By inkerman

You guys have something like 7000 under 18 year olds on life without parole.

Edit: Not Death row.

Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Phog_of_War
@Inkerman said:
"You guys have something like 7000 under 18 year olds on death row, I thought that was pretty crazy. "

Not surprised at all by that stat.  Sad to say.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By beej
@l4wd0g: I'm not arguing the merits of the death penalty, I'm arguing that there isn't any merit to shooting all criminals.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm surprised it wasn't higher...

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By T0mF5
@Phog_of_War: 20% of the US population is not in jail. It is about 2.4%.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I'm the only guilty man in Shawshank!^^

MrMo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrMo

Hope these statistics are shocking to those of you who are unfamiliar with the state of the prisons in the U.S. 
 http://bit.ly/bKVUM
 For those to lazy too click it, it basically says that 758 out of every 100,000 people is locked up at any one time, and for those
who think that's a small number you should note that the U.S. surpassed the Soviet Union's incarceration rates in '98
 http://www.mediastudy.com/articles/incarceration.html

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gregomasta
@Seppli: You sound like Fox News.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xyzygy

What the hell... that's around 1/5 of Canada's population. So in Canada, 1 of every 5 people you know would be in jail if that statistic was ours :P

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By l4wd0g
@beej said:
" @l4wd0g: I'm not arguing the merits of the death penalty, I'm arguing that there isn't any merit to shooting all criminals. "
I know. I was just saying the punishment should fit the crime. 

The Charles Manson thing I was just throwing that subject out there for discussion.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RsistncE
@l4wd0g said:

" @beej said:

" @l4wd0g: I'm not arguing the merits of the death penalty, I'm arguing that there isn't any merit to shooting all criminals. "
I know. I was just saying the punishment should fit the crime.   The Charles Manson thing I was just throwing that subject out there for discussion. "
The death penalty should never be used in any civilized nation. Why? We already know there have been innocent people MURDERED by the state (further supported by members of the public). Therefore by death penalty standards, anyone who helped in the murder of those innocents should also be put to death. The death penalty is paradoxical and completely nonsensical because the fact also remains that it hasn't decreased crime rates at all. Additionally, the death penalty only further propagates the problem that many modern day legal systems are just euphemistic forms of vengeance. I'm sorry, but we should be addressing the root of the problem and that is: Why are these crimes being committed in the first place and how can we prevent them from occurring?
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By YoThatLimp
@XII_Sniper said:
" I think when you have THAT many people in the correction system, the issue is with the strictness of the law and not necessarily with the general population.  "
Clearly we are criminal barbarians, that is the only thing that can mean.
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By l4wd0g
@RsistncE said:

" @l4wd0g said:

IThe Charles Manson thing I was just throwing that subject out there for discussion. "

The death penalty should never be used in any civilized nation. Why? We already know there have been innocent people MURDERED by the state (further supported by members of the public). Therefore by death penalty standards, anyone who helped in the murder of those innocents should also be put to death. The death penalty is paradoxical and completely nonsensical because the fact also remains that it hasn't decreased crime rates at all. Additionally, the death penalty only further propagates the problem that many modern day legal systems are just euphemistic forms of vengeance. I'm sorry, but we should be addressing the root of the problem and that is: Why are these crimes being committed in the first place and how can we prevent them from occurring? "

Umm... I don't know if I should touch this or not. 

Ehh screw it. 

So, if i believe in the death penalty I'm uncivilized? That seems to be what your first sentence is saying. 

There is a difference between killing and murder. Murder is unlawful killing of a person.  Killing is to deprive someone of life. Killing is also considered to be lawful. 
Soldiers who die in combat are killed. Diseases kill. Murderers murder. Make sense? 

Yes, I'm sure the system has put innocent people to death. It's unfortunate. However, they still went through due process and multiple appeals. 

The death penalty is a deterrent for rational people. However, not everyone is rational when the commit a crime worthy of the death penalty. 
The potential for negative consequences deters some behavior. The possibility of being executed does not contradict this.  

Why are crimes being committed? Simple answer is that we're human.  We're not perfect. We're selfish. We give ourselves completely over to lust, greed, sloth, gluttony, wraith, envy, and the most damning,  pride. Sometimes those things will damn us and destroy our lives.  If you're relgious or not, it doesn't matter, when something completely consumes you, you are lost.
Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Phog_of_War
@T0mF5:
Yeah I stated that it wa a hyperbolic, and lazy statement.  Still, too many people there who shouldnt be.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE
@l4wd0g said:
" @RsistncE said:

" @l4wd0g said:

IThe Charles Manson thing I was just throwing that subject out there for discussion. "

The death penalty should never be used in any civilized nation. Why? We already know there have been innocent people MURDERED by the state (further supported by members of the public). Therefore by death penalty standards, anyone who helped in the murder of those innocents should also be put to death. The death penalty is paradoxical and completely nonsensical because the fact also remains that it hasn't decreased crime rates at all. Additionally, the death penalty only further propagates the problem that many modern day legal systems are just euphemistic forms of vengeance. I'm sorry, but we should be addressing the root of the problem and that is: Why are these crimes being committed in the first place and how can we prevent them from occurring? "

Umm... I don't know if I should touch this or not.   Ehh screw it.   So, if i believe in the death penalty I'm uncivilized? That seems to be what your first sentence is saying.   There is a difference between killing and murder. Murder is unlawful killing of a person.  Killing is to deprive someone of life. Killing is also considered to be lawful.  Soldiers who die in combat are killed. Diseases kill. Murderers murder. Make sense?   Yes, I'm sure the system has put innocent people to death. It's unfortunate. However, they still went through due process and multiple appeals.   The death penalty is a deterrent for rational people. However, not everyone is rational when the commit a crime worthy of the death penalty.  The potential for negative consequences deters some behavior. The possibility of being executed does not contradict this.    Why are crimes being committed? Simple answer is that we're human.  We're not perfect. We're selfish. We give ourselves completely over to lust, greed, sloth, gluttony, wraith, envy, and the most damning,  pride. Sometimes those things will damn us and destroy our lives.  If you're relgious or not, it doesn't matter, when something completely consumes you, you are lost. "
I never said you're uncivilized for believing in the death penalty. You're making an unfounded extension out of my first claim. Of course I can't blame you for making such a connection; the death penalty is pretty damn fucking archaic.

I understand the difference between murder and killing. What I'm telling you is that we know there have been MANY people who were put to death who were innocent. That is murder committed by the state and by the public that supported the sentence. By extension the state and the people who supported the sentence should also now be put to death. The punishment should fit the crime according to many people here. It's funny how right Gandhi was: "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." 

You've made a massive error by lumping crimes into rational and irrational. Crimes that can't be prevented are usually ones such as crimes of passion or compulsion. These crimes as you pointed out can't be prevented so the death penalty is useless here. Other crimes - typically those associated with financial gain - CAN be prevented but not by instigating the death penalty. Notice that the vast majority of crimes are committed by those living in low income situations who also come from low income backgrounds. It's the poor that commit most crimes in this category. This is where the problem stems from, the fact that there are far too many individuals who are living in low income situations. The death penalty won't ever stop these crimes from being committed as is evidence further by the numbers. 

Murder rates (per capita) are higher in death penalty states than in non-death penalty states (in the US). Yeah, I know that this in and of itself can't be used to say outright that the death penalty leads to an increase in murders, after all, correlation doesn't equal causation and there could be lurking variables. I mean who knows, maybe it's the heat in Texas or maybe people are just really stupid there, BUT, one would reasonably expect that if the death penalty was working as a deterrent in these states that the murder rates would be dropping over the long term...and they are, but no faster than rates are dropping in the non-death penalty states. Hell, in some cases they're even dropping slower than in non-death penalty states. 

That last bit about humans no being perfect reeks of religion and religion has no place in the decision making processes that decide the fate of human lives, so I'm not going to address it at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong of course. 

At the end of the day if you are willing to support the death penalty then you are willingly admitting that you believe it is OK to kill a human being (outside of situations where your life is immediately threatened). This statement alone opens up a huge moral quagmire, one that would swallow the entire death penalty debate with ease.