Screw books, libraries are for GAMES!

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fr0br0

20% of libraries are offering a selection of games to play and to lend out. These are both current gen console games and PC games. They say the idea is for people who usually play games to come together and meet each other.

"The library has become a place not just for taking materials home, but for engaging with others in the same physical community."

Is this another distraction that will keep us from, you know, finding a good place to read?
Link

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

If anything, this will actually attract people to reading. More people will go to the library to get games, and a notable percentage of those people will inevitably read some of the books there.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'm guessing the 20% statistic is exclusive to the US. I'm in Canada and I visit the library quite often -- not once have I seen a video game. Though in this economy, lending video games through the library actually sounds like a good idea. I don't see how it will distract people who go there to read. It may even expose more people to books.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bruce

They've been doing the same thing with movies for a while now.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By EVO

Lemme know when they start lending out hot librarians.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Discorsi

Whoever would go to a library just for a video game needs mental help.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Discorsi said:
" Whoever would go to a library just for a video game needs mental help. "
Not really, if they have a game I want to borrow that I don't have, I would go.
But my Library would never get games, I guaranteed it.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

My library away from uni (Buckinghamshire, in the UK) have been renting games since the PS1. They originally did PS1 and PC games, then moved onto PS2 games, with a sprinkling of Xbox and Gamecube games, and now they're doing all the current gen consoles and handhelds. The prices have been good. They usually start at £4 for a week near the beginning of a consoles life cycle, and move down to around the £2 mark. It's much cheaper than places like blockbuster, who rent newer games for about £5 for two days. It was great.

Unfortunately, my libraries near my uni (in Sunderland) don't do games.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Tireyo

It would be neat if it expanded to more libraries. I want games to come to my library NOW! Lol.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189
@MattyFTM said:
" My library away from uni (Buckinghamshire, in the UK) have been renting games since the PS1. They originally did PS1 and PC games, then moved onto PS2 games, with a sprinkling of Xbox and Gamecube games, and now they're doing all the current gen consoles and handhelds. The prices have been good. They usually start at £4 for a week near the beginning of a consoles life cycle, and move down to around the £2 mark. It's much cheaper than places like blockbuster, who rent newer games for about £5 for two days. It was great.  Unfortunately, my libraries near my uni (in Sunderland) don't do games. "
My uni (Manchester) actually is starting something like this. Lots of niche movies and anime too.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pazy

Ive never seen a library lend out games but I wish they would. Especially if they follow the a similer model to the books where in general they dont seem to get rid of them unless they are damaged etc. I would love to go in and they have a copy of Spyro the Dragon on PS1 to rent or maybe Grim Fandango.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust

I've never seen a game for rent from any of my local (US) libraries, but knowing what I've seen in the DVD section, I find it hard to believe that the selection would be anything other than outdated sports games and educational franchises like Carmen Sandiego or Reader Rabbit.  My library seems to only buy DVDs that appeared on either PBS or the History Channel, so I'd assume that their game purchases (if they ever start) would be handled in the same manner.  After all, my librarians are sadly not hot sexy nerd girls but elderly women who view games are kids toys.  All of the DVDs that I've ever seen in the library that were actually worth a viewing were donated to the collection by area citizens.  As such, none of the films are even remotely recent.  Any video game would likely be something a person didn't want and wasn't worth the effort for trade-in at Gamestop.  I'd expect Madden '06 and  Konami's Rock Revolution.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Scooper
@Video_Game_King said:
" If anything, this will actually attract people to reading. More people will go to the library to get games, and a notable percentage of those people will inevitably read some of the books there. "
That's what I thought.