• 65 results
scubasteve2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By scubasteve2010

So I work at a grocery store and tonight I was ringing up a customer shortly before closing. She was a woman with a thick accent from some former Soviet Union country. She used  WIC checks to pay for part of her order. For those that don't know, WIC checks are like a form of government assistance. Fine, I  completely understand that sometimes people can't make ends meet, especially these days. So after that she hands me her club card which is attached to a her key chain to pay for the rest of her order. I notice that her car key is a Lexus.  When I saw that  I could feel pings of judgement begin to run through my mind. I then tried telling myself that for all I new it was some old beater of a Lexus and I shouldn't judge people. As I was locking up the store I notice her loading her groceries into a large Lexus SUV that couldn't have been more than a couple years old. This woman could afford to buy, insure, and fuel a $50,000 vehicle but can't afford to buy a gallon of fucking milk and eggs. Yeah right. Shit like this is exactly what makes everyone think that anyone that ever needs financial help from the government is just some lazy mooch scamming the system. In my mind this all was made worse by the fact this woman was clearly not born in the US. Again reinforcing another stereotype that immigrants are here just to sponge our tax dollars. There are distinct moments when you feel like you can see exactly what is wrong in this country. I feel I had one of those moments tonight.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

You should come to Britain some time...we got a lot of shit like that. 

Lesson: no matter where you are in the world, people will be scamming the system.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By immike

I don't know, but I never get upset over things like that. I try to worry about my own life and stay out of others'. 

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

Immigrants get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Leptok

Shit kinda sucks, but WIC throws a pretty wide net.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

In Soviet Russia groceries purchase you!

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaemonicGrim

The problem with stereotypes is, they're easier to spot. There's always some bastard doing something they shouldn't, but if it fits a stereotype then it hits a few more nerves when you see it.

scubasteve2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scubasteve2010
@Gamer_152 said:
"

"
Thank you, that genuinely made me laugh.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9  Edited By natetodamax
@Gamer_152 said:
"

"
haha
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Whisperkill

yep, it sucks. 

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By skrutop

Yeah, it's fucking annoying, that's for sure.  I know a few cases where people spend all their time and energy figuring out how to stay on welfare rather than getting a job that pays better.  Thing is, they're spending just as much effort to keep being lazy as they would if they were actually being productive.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By ryoma122
@scubasteve2010: 
you no what i think is so great about this is the fact that the people who need the help are being penalised 
and punished for those who abuse it isnt life just so wanderful
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By crusader8463
@scubasteve2010:
I take it you never thought that perhaps she was some immigrant worker that was in your country cleaning toilets as a maid for $3 an hour? Or that perhaps she was out doing errands for her boss, in her bosses car, when she stopped to pick up some milk and eggs for herself. Because if she didn't stop then, then she would have to spend three extra hours on a bus after a long ass days work just to get them when she gets off work?

It's not right to jump to conclusions about people by the way they look or the things they have. You have no idea why she had that car, or how she was in possession of it. Think of that before you make conclusions about hating someone and getting ready to persecute them because of the way they look or because of something they are holding.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By singular
@crusader8463 said:
" @scubasteve2010: I take it you never thought that perhaps she was some immigrant worker that was in your country cleaning toilets as a maid for $3 an hour? Or that perhaps she was out doing errands for her boss, in her bosses car, when she stopped to pick up some milk and eggs for herself. Because if she didn't stop then, then she would have to spend three extra hours on a bus after a long ass days work just to get them when she gets off work?  It's not right to jump to conclusions about people by the way they look or the things they have. You have no idea why she had that car, or how she was in possession of it. Think of that before you make conclusions about hating someone and getting ready to persecute them because of the way they look or because of something they are holding. "

Exactly
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Evilsbane
@immike said:
" I don't know, but I never get upset over things like that. I try to worry about my own life and stay out of others'.  "
But what they are doing Directly affects you, you pay taxes yes? That is your money they are spending, you not only have the right, but should Want to stop BS like this. But I guess we could all just be pacifist and do nothing. 

(I am not taking a knock at you, I understand your feelings on it, I don't wanna deal with it either)
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust

"Is not Lexus, is Nexus.  Is better than Lexus."

Well, I know that some people do find ways to circumvent the system, but by and large, it's difficult to get on government assistance programs unless you can prove that you are currently living at the poverty level.   The way you presented your topic leads me to believe that you are fully aware that you are being judgmental and you are conflicted by it.  I know it's hard to understand, but you don't know for certain if that is her car and even if it was, when she bought it.  She could have been well off but due to economic circumstances, lost her annual income.  The government isn't going to make her sell her car, which she might need for whatever job she has just so she isn't too affluent.  These programs exist to help people get over the rough spots in life, not to turn someone into a complete destitute pauper before they kick in.  Social service agencies will look at her income, her bank account and any stocks & bonds she may have.  If she has too much, she will not be eligible for certain assistance.  They'll also look at how many dependents she has, and adjust eligibility accordingly.  There is also a face-to-face interview with a case worker.  The question I have for you is have you ever known anyone who needed government assistance?  If so, ask them how rigorous (and invasive) the process is.  It's not like filling out a university financial aid form. 

ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ahab88

Let's not jump to conclusions... she probably stole the Lexus.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By sixghost
@ahab88 said:
" Let's not jump to conclusions... she probably stole the Lexus. "
lmfao xD
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@crusader8463 said:
" @scubasteve2010: I take it you never thought that perhaps she was some immigrant worker that was in your country cleaning toilets as a maid for $3 an hour? Or that perhaps she was out doing errands for her boss, in her bosses car, when she stopped to pick up some milk and eggs for herself. Because if she didn't stop then, then she would have to spend three extra hours on a bus after a long ass days work just to get them when she gets off work?  It's not right to jump to conclusions about people by the way they look or the things they have. You have no idea why she had that car, or how she was in possession of it. Think of that before you make conclusions about hating someone and getting ready to persecute them because of the way they look or because of something they are holding. "
You speak the truth.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By super_machine

Damn. I'm a hard working American and I don't know the first thing about scamming the government. These immigrants need to write a book on this.

nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nyuckelhead

Yeah There are a lot of people mooching when they dont need to but i wouldnt make any judgments based on seeing someone for 5 minutes and taking everything out of context. crusader had a great point.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thehexeditor
@crusader8463: MAD PROPS man; I was ready to jump onto the bandwagon until I read this.
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By immike
@Evilsbane said:
" @immike said:
" I don't know, but I never get upset over things like that. I try to worry about my own life and stay out of others'.  "
But what they are doing Directly affects you, you pay taxes yes? That is your money they are spending, you not only have the right, but should Want to stop BS like this. But I guess we could all just be pacifist and do nothing.   (I am not taking a knock at you, I understand your feelings on it, I don't wanna deal with it either) "
Careful, you are pretty close to doing just that. Telling someone what they should be doing also goes against what this country is supposed to stand for and is very motherly (especially since the way I am spending my tax money should be of no concern to anyone but myself). I understand what you mean, but I also should be voting and reading propositions. There are those that say "well I don't feel that I am making a difference" and they are as correct as those that feel they are making a difference. It's not that I don't wanna deal with it, it's that I refuse to. Government systems like that have always had stupid requirements. There are some people that can't even receive the aid and that actually need it, and those that do and will never qualify for it. Since these systems have been introduced there have been problems, and these requirements for entry are randomly satisfied.

Not only are these kind of people doing well for themselves, but you obviously don't know the whole story and can never just point one out of a crowd like the OP did. I am not trying to knock at you or the OP, but becoming enraged just because she had a nice car is a snap judgement which leads to even more problems in society. However, I will not tell you what to do.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bombs_Away

She's probably a hooker who is linked to a high up member of the Russian Mob. Might be cause I've just watched every episode of Sopranos over the last few weeks that I'm thinking this...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By TheHT

whether it was her suv or not, some people certainly do abuse aid programs like that. sucks.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By lazyturtle

Could it also be possible that shes super nice, and purchases groceries for her poor neighbor? Delivers them to a fixed income neighbor or family member? Or as was said earlier perhaps it wasn't her car..she just has access to it. Was she hot? Maybe it was her boyfriends car. 

Basically you don't know enough about her and her situation to get all judgmental. If you think theres some form of abuse going on, you could copy down her license number and report her to whatever agency issues the cards. If you feel really passionate about it, get a job as an investigator with the agency..have a personal impact.  

Finally...don't let her accent cloud your judgement. Maybe she was born elsewhere and immigrated to the USA or maybe she was a mail order bride. Maybe a million other things, but one of those might just be that she wanted to participate in the 'American dream', moved here, got her citizenship and can't find a job...just like lots of other people right now.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand completely, I work at a grocery store myself and I deal with WIC members on an almost daily basis, and I do see the occasional mooch come in and abuse the system. You just have to put it behind you, as scummy as those people can be. Seeing a woman use an EBT card and then pull out an iPhone with a bluetooth headset can be disheartening, but whatever, they're the scumbag, not you. 

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RobotHamster

Damn, nerve of some people.

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By i69edUrGpa

YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD THAT FUCKING SEX GYPSY TO GO BACK TO WHATEVER HELL SHE CAME FROM!!!!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jams
@i69edUrGpa said:
"YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD THAT FUCKING SEX GYPSY TO GO BACK TO WHATEVER HELL SHE CAME FROM!!!! "

Drag me to hell, based on a true story
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Capum15

People have already said what I was thinking - you don't know enough about her.

I was thinking, maybe that was her one good thing in life? Like, she saved up for who knows how long and got something she really wanted?  It may not be the case, but it may.

Just thoughts.

scubasteve2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By scubasteve2010
@lazyturtle said:
" Could it also be possible that shes super nice, and purchases groceries for her poor neighbor? Delivers them to a fixed income neighbor or family member? Or as was said earlier perhaps it wasn't her car..she just has access to it. Was she hot? Maybe it was her boyfriends car.  Basically you don't know enough about her and her situation to get all judgmental. If you think theres some form of abuse going on, you could copy down her license number and report her to whatever agency issues the cards. If you feel really passionate about it, get a job as an investigator with the agency..have a personal impact.   Finally...don't let her accent cloud your judgement. Maybe she was born elsewhere and immigrated to the USA or maybe she was a mail order bride. Maybe a million other things, but one of those might just be that she wanted to participate in the 'American dream', moved here, got her citizenship and can't find a job...just like lots of other people right now.   
That might be possible if it wasn't for the fact that the way WIC works is the checks are printed with the recipient's name and they have to show ID when using them. Secondly your point about moving here and not being able to find a job has bit of a hole in it. How then is she able to afford such an expensive vehicle in the first place? 
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" I understand completely, I work at a grocery store myself and I deal with WIC members on an almost daily basis, and I do see the occasional mooch come in and abuse the system. You just have to put it behind you, as scummy as those people can be. Seeing a woman use an EBT card and then pull out an iPhone with a bluetooth headset can be disheartening, but whatever, they're the scumbag, not you.  "
Completely. I am always shocked by the number of people I see who come in and  spend X amount of money in groceries on their EBT card then spend just as much or more on beer or wine in cash. 

Some of you have said that I don't know enough about her to make a judgement. Maybe there is some truth to that. Someone posted maybe it was her bosses car. Maybe, but I know sure as hell my boss wouldn't let me drive around in their ~$50,000 car at 11:00 at night to run errands for myself. I generally don't like to think the worst of people but sometimes appearances are indicative of exactly what they look like. But I could be wrong.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Evilsbane
@immike: No no what the OP did was 100% wrong, but I was just speaking from a general standpoint. And I never had the intention of Telling you what to do, I was just suggesting, but I do the same thing you do, I ignore the system because in reality there is no "system" it's just one fuck up after the other. So yea, we agree. WE WIN YAY!!
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

i know what u mean. it is shameful thing that they need to fix. u should also kind of think maybe someone bought it for her, like husband, boyfriend.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ch13696
@scubasteve2010 said:
"                 So I work at a grocery store and tonight I was ringing up a customer shortly before closing. She was a woman with a thick accent from some former Soviet Union country. She used  WIC checks to pay for part of her order. For those that don't know, WIC checks are like a form of government assistance. Fine, I  completely understand that sometimes people can't make ends meet, especially these days. So after that she hands me her club card which is attached to a her key chain to pay for the rest of her order. I notice that her car key is a Lexus.  When I saw that  I could feel pings of judgement begin to run through my mind. I then tried telling myself that for all I new it was some old beater of a Lexus and I shouldn't judge people. As I was locking up the store I notice her loading her groceries into a large Lexus SUV that couldn't have been more than a couple years old. This woman could afford to buy, insure, and fuel a $50,000 vehicle but can't afford to buy a gallon of fucking milk and eggs. Yeah right. Shit like this is exactly what makes everyone think that anyone that ever needs financial help from the government is just some lazy mooch scamming the system. In my mind this all was made worse by the fact this woman was clearly not born in the US. Again reinforcing another stereotype that immigrants are here just to sponge our tax dollars. There are distinct moments when you feel like you can see exactly what is wrong in this country. I feel I had one of those moments tonight. "
This story brought back my horrible reminders of when I worked at a casino. You have a lot of slavakian or asian or whatever they are, kind of people pulling thousands and thousands of dollars out of their credit card just to lose it in the high limit room. Somehow they come back the next day and do the same exact thing. I don't know how they get this money. They might have a business, but still, I know that not many businesses make that much money. Especially to blow it away at a casino. In the end they're even too cheap to leave a dollar tip for anyone.
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By immike
@Evilsbane: lol, well I do agree with you, so yay we're screwed!
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince

Don't judge people without knowing their circumstances. My mom has a expensive car, but a while ago my parents were about to get divorced and my mom had almost no money for anything so we needed assistance. She still had her nice car, but that was about all. Luckily my parents worked it out, but you don't know anything about the persons life, so keep your judgments.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

You have no idea of her situation, or even if that car is owned and paid for by her. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@immike said:
a man after my own heart
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By Gunner

YEAH! cause poor people arent allowed to have nice things...

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RetroIce4

People will always find a way to abuse something...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@scubasteve2010 said:
"                 So I work at a grocery store and tonight I was ringing up a customer shortly before closing. She was a woman with a thick accent from some former Soviet Union country. She used  WIC checks to pay for part of her order. For those that don't know, WIC checks are like a form of government assistance. Fine, I  completely understand that sometimes people can't make ends meet, especially these days. So after that she hands me her club card which is attached to a her key chain to pay for the rest of her order. I notice that her car key is a Lexus.  When I saw that  I could feel pings of judgement begin to run through my mind. I then tried telling myself that for all I new it was some old beater of a Lexus and I shouldn't judge people. As I was locking up the store I notice her loading her groceries into a large Lexus SUV that couldn't have been more than a couple years old. This woman could afford to buy, insure, and fuel a $50,000 vehicle but can't afford to buy a gallon of fucking milk and eggs. Yeah right. Shit like this is exactly what makes everyone think that anyone that ever needs financial help from the government is just some lazy mooch scamming the system. In my mind this all was made worse by the fact this woman was clearly not born in the US. Again reinforcing another stereotype that immigrants are here just to sponge our tax dollars. There are distinct moments when you feel like you can see exactly what is wrong in this country. I feel I had one of those moments tonight. "
A wile back my mother had to get food stamps. Wile waiting in line. The other people there had smart phones. Multiple children. SUVS....yet..they got goverment help....
erikj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By erikj
@scubasteve2010:  Maybe she was rich bought and payed off the car then has a housefire or car accident with her other car, I know someone who bought and payed off a bmw z4 and then had a housefire, so don't judge people when you dont know all the details, now if you followed her (which i dont suggest b/c it would be uber creepy) and saw she lived in a perfectly fine house and mentioned that i wouldn't be lecturing u now.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mrnitropb
@erikj said:

" @skrutop:  WATCH IT, im ok with sh** But the f word is a little much, just do fraking or freaking or something like that , or i will have you flagged. "

Um, fuck you?

Anyway, its really sucks when you do your best to avoid falling into the traps of of bigotry, xenophobia, and the like, but you keep getting whacked in the face with examples of why these stereotypes exist. And it makes you feel like a dick.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Evilsbane
@erikj said:
" @skrutop:  WATCH IT, im ok with sh** But the f word is a little much, just do fraking or freaking or something like that , or i will have you flagged. "
Flag him, I am sure MB could use a laugh today.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By teh_destroyer

I feel for you man, I too work in a grocery store. Recently WIC has added bread and fucking fruit up to $6 on there WIC order.This old ass lady came in buying Cherries on here WIC, a bag of that stuff costs almost $7, a fantastic way for the company to loose money, thanks WIC.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Gamer_152 said:
"In Soviet Russia groceries purchase you!"
Quoted for truth, son.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By artofwar420

Don't use this bro.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

How about 18 year old maroccan drug dealers driving around in brand new mercedes's etc.
Not to judge or w/e, but often immigrants really abuse a countrys social system as they have no bond with it. As a person born in your own country it just feels wrong to do so ( atleast i'd feel wrong doing so )