• 90 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Rorie (2682 posts) -

Pretty cool. I really like Johnson's stuff; think I even did a Besties on Brothers Bloom a while back. Fun fact: he went to high school with my friend Justin, and Justin apparently inspired the Brain character in Brick. (Which you'd understand if you ever met Justin.) Pretty great choice for the last two Star Wars movies; looking forward to seeing them in 2018 or whenever they start coming out.

Staff
#2 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5338 posts) -

So, time travel then?

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (35995 posts) -

Alternate headline:

Disney remembers that JJ Abrams is directing the latest Star Wars film, takes appropriate action.

#4 Posted by CorruptedEvil (1730 posts) -

That's way better than JJ Abrams.

#5 Posted by pinner458 (598 posts) -

I didn't like Brick. At all. But most critics seemed to love it.

#6 Posted by GunstarRed (5025 posts) -

I liked Brick and Looper, but the Brothers Bloom is fantastic and my favourite of his films.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

The guy who made Brick. Is making Star Wars movies.

Huh.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11695 posts) -

I want a Coen Brothers Star Wars film :(

#9 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Why the JJ hate? :(

#10 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2135 posts) -

Rorie, don't forget he also did some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad. I'm so excited for this news.

#11 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5338 posts) -

I'm pretty sure at this point Star Wars only works as an action movie and this is a somewhat unorthodox pick for that purpose; young director though so who knows.

#12 Posted by RioStarwind (485 posts) -

Seems like another good director for Star Wars 8 and 9. I hope they all turn out to be worthy additions to the SW legacy.

#13 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@thehumandove: Because Lost wrote a bunch of narrative cheques, and they mostly bounced.

#14 Posted by spraynardtatum (2605 posts) -

Rian Johnson has made some great movies so far.

#15 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

Oh man, I think you just made my day.

#16 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2135 posts) -

@bisonhero: To be fair, Abrams was barely involved with Lost.

#17 Posted by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

I didn't like Brick. At all. But most critics seemed to love it.

#18 Posted by Mezmero (1792 posts) -

@rorie: You're a Star Wars movie...

#19 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@dallas_raines: Yeah, but I think it's one of the main reasons that people give him a hard time, even if Lindelof and Cuse are more directly responsible for how that show turned out.

#20 Posted by Ford_Dent (77 posts) -

I am a huge fan of Rian Johnson--his episodes of Breaking Bad are some of the best things I've ever seen, Brick is a flat out fantastic noir, Brothers Bloom is a great mediation on storytelling, and Looper was smart enough to not sweat the specifics of its time travel biz too much. Johnson directing Star Wars and replacing Abrams (who I do not like very much--his Star Trek outings were all sound and fury, especially the second one, and Lost was bad, Revolution was bad, and basically everything he's done that I've attempted to watch has been bad. His Star Wars will be okay, and probably have a bunch of obvious call backs to the original trilogy, because that's all Abrams does).

#21 Edited by DharmaBum (1046 posts) -

A good and unexpected pick. I really liked Brick and enjoyed Looper up until its second half.

#22 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

Brick and Looper are two of my favorite movies and I thought Brothers Bloom was really great.

So I'M HELL OF EXCITED ABOUT THIS NEWS. Hell of.

#23 Posted by RonGalaxy (2871 posts) -

Wonder why JJ isnt directing them. Also, I think it would be cooler if they got a different director for each installment. Would love to see a david fincher directed star wars movie.

#24 Posted by ripelivejam (3538 posts) -

ah to hell with it, just do a woody allen directed SW ffs.

#25 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

I love Rian Johnson! In fact I find this news a little disappointing because I'd rather see him make his own stuff than see him work in other people's universes. I also worry that if there's not a consistent creative lead that a lot of the big decisions for this series will be left to other people. Like suits.

#26 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

Loved Brick.

Loved Looper.

Loved all of the Breaking Bad episodes he made.

I'm amazed how pumped up I am about Star Wars.

#27 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Never heard of him or seen his movies. Good luck to him.

#28 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

uhhhhh, shouldn't these movies be for kids? Really just sounds silly hiring the indie directors and hope they get Spike Jonez "Where the Wild Things Are", when in reality this series had a teddy bear picnic for an ending in 1983.

#29 Posted by Aegon (5401 posts) -

@crithon said:

uhhhhh, shouldn't these movies be for kids? Really just sounds silly hiring the indie directors and hope they get Spike Jonez "Where the Wild Things Are", when in reality this series had a teddy bear picnic for an ending in 1983.

Yeah...The first batch of Star Wars movies are kind of boring and cheesy. Of course, it did something different at the time, which is where its legacy comes from.

#30 Posted by endoworks (273 posts) -

Hmm... I really enjoy Rian Johnson, I like what they are doing with these new Star Wars movies. I should start preparing to be disappointed now tho... Fingers crossed!

#31 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

@aegon said:

@crithon said:

uhhhhh, shouldn't these movies be for kids? Really just sounds silly hiring the indie directors and hope they get Spike Jonez "Where the Wild Things Are", when in reality this series had a teddy bear picnic for an ending in 1983.

Yeah...The first batch of Star Wars movies are kind of boring and cheesy. Of course, it did something different at the time, which is where its legacy comes from.

Well that's.... they are still hyping this to be "that" legacy again. Now it's not necessarily going to be the same thing..... harrison ford alone is probably the biggest problem and also the biggest name to a world wide audience. At one point Return of the Jedi was the lowest point of the star wars series, this was the early 90s when Pulp Fiction and Clerks ruled the Gen X audience of film goers, but now we just went through the prequel trilogy and it seems the quality shifted. And yes, it's a goofy film, blue milk and cheesy lines, but still your imagination did just start to make up whatever the tentacle monster looked like underneath the garbage compactor scene.

Now the news on these films seem to just hire indie film makers with no real knowledge of effects work and production design. Personally I felt the Unicef video with the amazing puppet really did a better job selling this film as something for kids to enjoy then any of the news that's been coming out of these films.

#32 Posted by SomberOwl (637 posts) -

So, time travel then?

If they put time travel in Star Wars I'll be more upset than I was when I saw the prequels.

#33 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (999 posts) -

This "Eww, an indie director" reaction going on in here is pretty weird. George Lucas was an indie filmmaker you guys.

#34 Posted by conmulligan (303 posts) -

Rian Johnson is a way more interesting choice than JJ. It's kind of weird that JJ's one and done, though.

#35 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

I don't know who that is, so that's cool.

#36 Posted by FinalDasa (1494 posts) -

I find this kind of strange. I thought Abrams was essentially guiding this revival along. So to have him only do the first film and have the others, both of them, handed to someone else feels weird. Maybe he'll somewhat fill the Lucas role like on the original trilogy and be more of a consultant for the story/universe?

#37 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

So, time travel then?

If they put time travel in Star Wars I'll be more upset than I was when I saw the prequels.

What if they use time travel to retcon some of the dumber elements of the prequels?

#38 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2135 posts) -

@kevin_cogneto: Yeah, I'll take the inventive choices Disney has been making with Marvel Studios and Star Wars over more Micheal Bay/Zack Snyder nonsense. Also, it's funny that the directors of Godzilla, Chronicle and the upcoming Fantastic Four are still considered 'indie'.

#39 Posted by pyromagnestir (4242 posts) -

@dallas_raines: Yeah, but I think it's one of the main reasons that people give him a hard time, even if Lindelof and Cuse are more directly responsible for how that show turned out.

I think the recent Star Trek movies probably have more to do with it at this point.

#40 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2479 posts) -

Could not be happier with this announcement! Johnson's work is immensely enjoyable and I feel really confident in his ability to make a solid Star Wars film, or two.

#41 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10471 posts) -

I'm very excited by this. Looper was a fantastic movie, so I'm hoping these keep up the same level of quality.

#42 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@bisonhero said:

@dallas_raines: Yeah, but I think it's one of the main reasons that people give him a hard time, even if Lindelof and Cuse are more directly responsible for how that show turned out.

I think the recent Star Trek movies probably have more to do with it at this point.

Are people really livid about that though? Like, sure, it turned Star Trek into Star Wars basically, but at least it revitalized any interest in Star Trek, given that there hasn't been a TV show in quite some time and the last few movies based around Next Generation weren't so hot.

#43 Posted by pyromagnestir (4242 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@bisonhero said:

@dallas_raines: Yeah, but I think it's one of the main reasons that people give him a hard time, even if Lindelof and Cuse are more directly responsible for how that show turned out.

I think the recent Star Trek movies probably have more to do with it at this point.

Are people really livid about that though? Like, sure, it turned Star Trek into Star Wars basically, but at least it revitalized any interest in Star Trek, given that there hasn't been a TV show in quite some time and the last few movies based around Next Generation weren't so hot.

I imagine there are more people upset over what he's done with Star Trek than people who are still angry at him over Lost (especially since he really had next to nothing to do with Lost after that first episode). He turned Star Trek into actiony popcorn movies. People got super pissed about the changes in DMC. People are strange.

#44 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@bisonhero said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@bisonhero said:

@dallas_raines: Yeah, but I think it's one of the main reasons that people give him a hard time, even if Lindelof and Cuse are more directly responsible for how that show turned out.

I think the recent Star Trek movies probably have more to do with it at this point.

Are people really livid about that though? Like, sure, it turned Star Trek into Star Wars basically, but at least it revitalized any interest in Star Trek, given that there hasn't been a TV show in quite some time and the last few movies based around Next Generation weren't so hot.

I imagine there are more people upset over what he's done with Star Trek than people who are still angry at him over Lost (especially since he really had next to nothing to do with Lost after that first episode). He turned Star Trek into actiony popcorn movies. People got super pissed about the changes in DMC. People are strange.

When you're a stranger.

#45 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Smart move on their part. This still doesn't make up for us losing edgar wright's ant-man, though, karmically speaking (I doubt its the same people deciding that, but you know what I mean).

#46 Posted by benpicko (1997 posts) -

Couldn't even finish Looper so hopefully it's better than that shit

#47 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5338 posts) -
#48 Edited by MetalBaofu (1350 posts) -

I like his stuff, so sure, I wouldn't mind seeing what he does with Star Wars. Don't see how it could be any worse than the last 3(even though I didn't hate those as much as some people).

#49 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5338 posts) -

@metalbaofu: Yeah well I hate you for not hating them as much as I do (not really)

Aside: Revenge of the Sith was a pretty good action movie; also some glorious unintentional humor.

#50 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@bisonhero said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@bisonhero said:

@dallas_raines: Yeah, but I think it's one of the main reasons that people give him a hard time, even if Lindelof and Cuse are more directly responsible for how that show turned out.

I think the recent Star Trek movies probably have more to do with it at this point.

Are people really livid about that though? Like, sure, it turned Star Trek into Star Wars basically, but at least it revitalized any interest in Star Trek, given that there hasn't been a TV show in quite some time and the last few movies based around Next Generation weren't so hot.

I imagine there are more people upset over what he's done with Star Trek than people who are still angry at him over Lost (especially since he really had next to nothing to do with Lost after that first episode). He turned Star Trek into actiony popcorn movies. People got super pissed about the changes in DMC. People are strange.

When you're a stranger.

Faces look ugly.