• 62 results
dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Edited By dj

I don't know how to do it. Everyone keeps asking me, what are you gonna do? Where you gonna go? I have no idea. I don't know what to tell them. I wish I could just live life and become some kind of roaming layabout and discover my dream while backpacking across some distant land. However it seems that is not a choice I can make.  I know it's probably not correct to say that I am not an interesting person but I just don't feel like one. I haven't explored space, mastered the art of taming beasts, or learned to juggle. Nothing about my life is extraordinary. I'm a suburban kid, in a modest home, with decent grades. What's there to sell? No one could have lived a more mundane existence. 

Some would argue that there are big choices before deciding what you'll do after high school. From what I've seen so far, I would disagree. Life so far has been a very linear track. Go to school, meet people, drive around, and generally fuck about. Now I have some significant ability to determine how my future plays out and I'm scared and confused. I feel like every passion I've devoted myself to has no way of helping me out in the practical pursuit of wealth. Video games, movies, and guitar all happen to be the industries that are impossible to extract a steady job from. I'm at a loss. I'll just pick a career that I can stand and hope that one day I'm in a position where I can tackle my dream.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dj

I don't know how to do it. Everyone keeps asking me, what are you gonna do? Where you gonna go? I have no idea. I don't know what to tell them. I wish I could just live life and become some kind of roaming layabout and discover my dream while backpacking across some distant land. However it seems that is not a choice I can make.  I know it's probably not correct to say that I am not an interesting person but I just don't feel like one. I haven't explored space, mastered the art of taming beasts, or learned to juggle. Nothing about my life is extraordinary. I'm a suburban kid, in a modest home, with decent grades. What's there to sell? No one could have lived a more mundane existence. 

Some would argue that there are big choices before deciding what you'll do after high school. From what I've seen so far, I would disagree. Life so far has been a very linear track. Go to school, meet people, drive around, and generally fuck about. Now I have some significant ability to determine how my future plays out and I'm scared and confused. I feel like every passion I've devoted myself to has no way of helping me out in the practical pursuit of wealth. Video games, movies, and guitar all happen to be the industries that are impossible to extract a steady job from. I'm at a loss. I'll just pick a career that I can stand and hope that one day I'm in a position where I can tackle my dream.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

After high school I moved to Japan, hiked the largest mountain in the country, made love to my first woman, taught english, went to business school, transferred to Law School, met Kojima, people from Square Enix, and had the greatest video game voice actresses as my boss. 

Dude, the gates are open, just head out there and charge in.  You'll be fine, just focus on that resolve. 

Also, take lots of chances, no point living if you're not willing to risk everything for something.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dj

You sir are an inspiration. 

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dylabaloo
@KaosAngel: Did you just move to Japan with no house there or did you move into an uncle or somethings house?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
@Dylabaloo: I started with a host family for 3 months, but in that three months I saved up about 4k, and that was enough for a downpayment for my own apartment and whatnot.  Since then living in Japan I was making about 3-5k a month depending on the students.  Enough to save up and go back to Law School in the States...and yes it was my money and not my parents. 
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I feel very much the same way.
I plan on becoming a vagabond!

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dylabaloo
@KaosAngel: Cool, thinking about moving someone crazy.
Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

You don't seem to know what you want to do with yourself yet.

I can tell you that you've got to figure that out for yourself.  You're on a gaming community website, so you might pursue that in some way.

There are lots of important decisions that you have to make before you get out of high school.  You might have missed them, but picking what activities you're involved in, where and if you volunteer, and whether you work on building your marketable skills or not are all important decisions.  You sound like you have lots of opportunity and don't know what to do with it.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Djeffers03
@KaosAngel said:
" After high school I moved to Japan, hiked the largest mountain in the country, made love to my first woman, taught english, went to business school, transferred to Law School, met Kojima, people from Square Enix, and had the greatest video game voice actresses as my boss.  Dude, the gates are open, just head out there and charge in.  You'll be fine, just focus on that resolve.  Also, take lots of chances, no point living if you're not willing to risk everything for something. "
Sounds like an awesome life. Do work in the video game industry?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
@Djeffers03: I worked for a studio that recorded the voice actors(es).  Donna Burke was my boss, she's pretty famous in Japan, and ended up doing the Peace Walker love song.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Cube

KaosAngel was my boss.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ravenousrattler

man, sounds kinda similar to my life

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

YOU SHOULD SHOOT UP SOME HEROIN AND GO TO THE MOON BRETHEN

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By sodiumCyclops

One of the best things you can do from my experience, is to just go out and meet people.

Meeting people leads to numerous contacts and possible job situations.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By ptys
@Dj:  If you don't know what you want to do then pick a 'back up' career so to give you time to decide what you actually want to do with your life. I studied film making when I was 20 and now I'm almost 30!!! I've discovered that animation is what I want to do and I'm working at it everyday and getting more done this year than I have the last decade as an editor/ production assistant. You just need to bide your time until it hits you. It'll come out of nowhere so get something else going in the mean time so you have a good launching pad for future success!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@KaosAngel said:
" After high school I moved to Japan, hiked the largest mountain in the country, made love to my first woman, taught english, went to business school, transferred to Law School, met Kojima, people from Square Enix, and had the greatest video game voice actresses as my boss.  Dude, the gates are open, just head out there and charge in.  You'll be fine, just focus on that resolve.  Also, take lots of chances, no point living if you're not willing to risk everything for something. "
I'm confused as to how this all happened. Did you know Japanese in high school or something? Also, does it work both ways (can you teach Japanese)?
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By time allen

given what little experience i have, the only advice i can offer is that, whatever you do, make sure you're keeping your creative fulfilment bar full. who cares about financial security? as long as you can afford to eat and do something you love, simultaneously, then nothing else matters.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
@Video_Game_King: I picked it up in 3 months, before going I could do it basic.  After the house family teaching me, and talking to people...it took about 3 months to get it down.  Still can't write for shit...to much chinese.
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cloneslayer

Tch, I'm a junior in college and I still don't know what I want to do. I just picked a major that semi-interested me and went with it so I wouldn't be here for like 8 years.  Beyond that I'm fucking clueless man. Welcome to the club.

azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By azhang
@KaosAngel said:
" @Video_Game_King: I picked it up in 3 months, before going I could do it basic.  After the house family teaching me, and talking to people...it took about 3 months to get it down.  Still can't write for shit...to much chinese. "
The characters can't be that bad.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous

I've been thinking about this kind of thing for the past few months. I'm in my second year of college, and if I didn't already have all this student loan debt, I would drop out and just go get a simple job somewhere (waiter, cashier, etc.) instead of all this "reach for the stars" bullshit society feeds us. Problem is that I was ushered into college without really thinking about it just because it was the "next step" in the educational ladder.

@Toms115 said:

" who cares about financial security? as long as you can afford to eat and do something you love, simultaneously, then nothing else matters. "
Basically this.
azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By azhang
@ajamafalous:  I agree with what you said. I am in the same situation as well.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

You don't tackle life.  Life tackles you.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By BraveToaster

Stop with this nonsense. Mundane and mediocre outnumber the talented. You're not the only average person. There are plenty of things you can do, you just apply yourself. You'll soon find yourself miles behind the pack if you mope for too long.

ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArmedBear
@Dj said:
 Video games, movies, and guitar all happen to be the industries that are impossible to extract a steady job from. 
If you have a clue as to what you want to do, then do it.   Somebody else is doing the thing that you want to do.  You can do what you want to do.
If you want a steady job, there is a path for the steady job.  Go to college.
If you want to go into video games, movies, or start a band, to do something creative, then that may require a leap of faith on your part.  There is no set path, you just have to have faith and take a running jump.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
@azhang: 

Some of them definitely aren't hard. Hell, I already know that 人 means person, but I can see how something like 後背位 would be hard to memorize.
azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By azhang
@Video_Game_King:   
Well I am studying Chinese, so I understand it is hard. However, I do not really think writing characters in Japanese is that difficult because a lot of the characters they have are not that difficult to write.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel
@azhang: It's the same as Chinese...and Japan uses about 1.5k on average, I only know about 200...that shit is too hard.  I can't do it, so I use my mobile for most of them.  >.>
Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Jrad
@Video_Game_King said:
" @azhang: 

Some of them definitely aren't hard. Hell, I already know that 人 means person, but I can see how something like 後背位 would be hard to memorize. "
Oh god.
azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By azhang
@KaosAngel: It is based on Chinese characters, but the Japanese have simplified some characters in their own way from the traditional Chinese characters. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead

Do not forget in all of this that KaosAngel has extremely rich parents and had the ability to do all this as he was likely rolling round on daddy's chequebook or at least had it as a back up.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By OneManX

I know the advice is not that great... but dude 

Just live, if you're not gonna do college, just live life. Hang with friends, plan a road trip, follow a band cross country, just be alive.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I didn't know either out of High School, until I took a few college classes and found something interesting I can do.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KaosAngel
@azhang: It's still too hard...the one thing Japan had to steal from China had to be the characters.  -_-
Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Berezov

I moved to Japan too, moved in with my uncle of course. Went to school there, met some guy who kept falling off his bike, this girl who worked at the local inn and some other girl who liked steaks. Then things started getting f'd up, people started getting pushed into TV's and we met a hollow bear... 

Oh, did I mention I can summon monsters? Yeah there's that.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
@Berezov: We should meet up and get some bitches who are gold diggers.
JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By JazzyJeff

I say you should go to college. Don't know what you want to do? Just take the general education courses. This way, when you decide on a path, you just have to take the core courses, and you're done!

Trust me, man. You're only going to be this young once, and may not ever have the opportunity to put this much time into school again. You'll never reach a point in life where you say, "Man, I wish I hadn't gone to college." But you may regret not going one day. So I say go to school now, and then when you're done you can backpack in foreign lands and do anything you want! You'll have even more options with a degree.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By Termite
@Video_Game_King said:
" @azhang: 

Some of them definitely aren't hard. Hell, I already know that 人 means person, but I can see how something like 後背位 would be hard to memorize. "
That's not a particularly difficult word; it's stuff like 欝 and 薔薇 that really get you. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Termite: 

Keep in mind that kouhaii is the most complex Japanese phrase I know. I still haven't learned how to form sentences in Japanese (I guess doggy style would count as a sentence in a conversation, somehow).
InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By InTheEnd

If you were boring in life, you can be exciting in death. Commit a creative suicide in public and people will remember you always.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I had no idea either. I didn't want to go to college because I feel like I was going to waste my time. Instead I thought about joining the military for a while and I did. I joined the Navy. Now, I'll be able to travel the world while getting payed and feel like I'm actually doing something. And this experience will help me later in my life. I'll learn how to take care of myself better.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By Claude

I never tried to tackle life after high school, just tried to dodge it.

azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By azhang
@Termite:  I agree with you there. There is far more complex characters out there, and I am learning traditional Chinese characters, so complex characters is not out of the ordinary for me.   
@KaosAngel: Well at least you have your mobile to use to aid you.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ajamafalous
@Video_Game_King said:
" (I guess doggy style would count as a sentence in a conversation, somehow). "
Man.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ajamafalous: 

Quoting the Wikipedia article on Japanese:

As a result of this grammatical permissiveness, there is a tendency to gravitate towards brevity; Japanese speakers tend to omit pronouns on the theory they are inferred from the previous sentence, and are therefore understood. A single verb can be a complete sentence: Yatta! "[I / we / they / etc] did [it]!". 

This means that in the course of a regular conversation, I can just yell "DOGGY STYLE!", and it would make perfect sense. I wish the English language could do things that amazing.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ajamafalous
@Video_Game_King said:
" @ajamafalous: 

Quoting the Wikipedia article on Japanese:

As a result of this grammatical permissiveness, there is a tendency to gravitate towards brevity; Japanese speakers tend to omit pronouns on the theory they are inferred from the previous sentence, and are therefore understood. A single verb can be a complete sentence: Yatta! "[I / we / they / etc] did [it]!".   This means that in the course of a regular conversation, I can just yell "DOGGY STYLE!", and it would make perfect sense. I wish the English language could do things that amazing. "
I'd argue that that happens often in English as well; I do that shit all the time.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vinny_Says
@Dj: Umm...do you live anywhere near the East coast? like could you get your ass here I have some stuff you can do...also do you have access to any guns? PM me if you're interested...
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ajamafalous: 

I've my doubts that such things are possible. It reminds me of my plans to yell "RAMADAN!" at people (in place of "Happy Ramadan"), only with more sex.
azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By azhang
@Video_Game_King said:
" @ajamafalous:   I've my doubts that such things are possible. It reminds me of my plans to yell "RAMADAN!" at people (in place of "Happy Ramadan"), only with more sex. "
lol. The exclusion only counts for the subject not the happy haha.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iam3green

next thing to do in life is to go to college to something that your interested in. i picked a college (community) at the last minute of high school. i don't like school so yeah, i'm still there for like 3.5 years. it sucks that i that i;m there for so long.