The Giant Bomb Community Sure Does Love/Hate Anime!

Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By MercuryCrusader

Oh hey, awesome, a video game enthusiast community! Hopefully, it isn't as retarded as GameFAQs or IGN or anything like that.  I bet there will be discussions about the latest games, old favorites, and more!  Maybe people here are old enough to remember the Nintendo Entertainment System?  Who knows!  There is one thing I am worried about...  I really, REALLY, hope that people don't talk about anime nonstop, and that there is a horrible divide amongst the community over what is essentially a non-issue. 

Woops. 

So...  Anime.  I hear it is for jerks.  I hear lots of people think it is terrible.  I also hear that people who love anime love the exact same set of shows and nothing beyond.  What, you say Cowboy Bebop was awesome?  Thought Neon Genesis Evangelion was a deep, thought-provoking show?  Maybe you like that Naruto show that kids seem to love these days like kids used to love Dragon Ball Z back in the day.  Well, it seems like every single time anime is brought up in the Giant Bomb community, it devolves into a shitstorm of stupidity.  Congrats, everybody! Those of you who hate anime sure are loud and obnoxious about how much you hate it! And those of you who love anime sure won't shut up about how much you love it!  Who is the real winner in this fight for supremacy?

GIVE THEM TO ME ALL YOUR ANIMES!

My Personal Opinion of Anime?

This is long and unnecessary, go straight to the next section.

Honestly, I didn't give a shit about anime growing up.  It was all video games and terrible B-movies for me.  I took some Japanese language classes in high school because I thought it was weird that there was a Japanese language class in my high school, and boy, when I took that class, what a terrible mistake that was! Keep in mind, this was back in 2000, I didn't have the internet, and most of your memes and stupid 4chan/Genmay-related bullshit hadn't been invented yet. Yet even back in those days, all your anime fan stereotypes were represented.  Japanophiles, people talking non-stop about the anime they were watching, mentioning they only took the class because they watch anime, and more!  I put up with two years of that crap, and made out alright.  Unlike the rest of the class, who failed out because learning a new language was too difficult, I did alright.  My conversational skills are pretty awful, but my reading and listening comprehension was fine.

It ain't a Super Robot Wars game without this!
My new Japanese language skills were getting stagnant, so I figured I'd find something, ANYTHING, to keep it fresh.  Obviously, I had a bad experience with anime fans, so the last think I wanted to do was get sucked into their little world.  What I ended up doing was importing Japanese video games.  Most of the games I wanted, however, were not text heavy, so I had to find a game that fulfilled a couple of requirements: it had to be text-heavy, not released in the United States, and wouldn't be boring to trudge through.  At this point in time, I was getting bored with standard RPGs, but I loved the idea of strategy RPGs.  What I ended up playing was a Super Famicom game that was part of a franchise that I would soon be a huge fan of: Super Robot Taisen 4.

For the uninformed, the Super Robot Taisen franchise is a series of strategy RPGs made by Banpresto that involves series crossovers of giant robot anime.  As this was the fourth game in the series, most of the shows present in the game weren't shown in America (for the most part), so I had no idea what any of these characters were.  All I knew was that all the robots didn't seem to fit in with one another, except the Gundam stuff (at the time, Gundam Wing was it, I had no idea there was anything beyond that (I hated Gundam Wing)).  Looking into it, I learned that most of the shows represented in the game were older giant robot shows from the 1970s and 1980s.  And the reason I really got into this was because, even though I didn't give a shit about anime,  loved B-movies, especially old giant monster movies like Godzilla and Gamera.  Giant robots was just the next logical step.

"VOLTES FIVE!"
To better understand the characters and stuff in the games, which assume you're at least familiar with the series present, I did the unthinkable.  I watched anime.  Unfortunately, most of these shows were old.  Anime distribution companies in the US didn't license any of these older shows, and fansubbers didn't want to work on anything that was both several episodes long and old (even though they'll sub Naruto until the end of time).  I basically watched what I could.  The original Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy was first, and suprisingly I enjoyed it.  It didn't feature the retardedness that Gundam Wing provided years earlier.  I found old fansubs of both Combattler V and Voltes V (I used to live in the Philippines when I was a kid and was familiar with Voltes V, it is probably the most popular cartoon in the country), and I enjoyed the campiness of a combining robot with goofy superweapons that defy modern science.  And then I got a chance to watch the original Mazinger Z from an old Hong Kong bootleg.  The subtitles for that show were terrible, but I didn't need them.  And I was hooked.

Hooked on anime?  No.  I was hooked on giant robot shows.  This all came at a terrible price, however.  For every good show, there were several awful shows.  Everything I know about anime was because I wanted to better know the stuff that was going on in these games.  Unfortunately, the stuff I didn't like in the games reflected when I watched the shows.  For example, I didn't like the EVA units or the characters from Evangelion when I played games featuring them.  When I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, I realized why.  As a strange aside, I did love Space Runaway Ideon, which was thematically similar to Evangelion, only it was made over a decade earlier.

My opinion on anime?  It has horrible fans, a terrible sub-culture, and a lot of shows seem to pander to their awfulness.

Giant Bomb Loves Anime

So you love anime and want to defend its honor in the halls of the Giant Bomb message boards?  Good for you, I hope you have a sound argument to bring to the table, as defending anime is a difficult task.  Wait, what are you doing?  What is that?  OH SHIT NAW, it's a list of "shows you think are good".  What the hell is that going to do?  Well, let's see what is on your list of "good shows" shall we:
  • Shows that were featured on Toonami; Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, whatever.
  • Shows that were featured on Adult Swim; Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, whatever.
  • Shows that were aired in Japan at 1:00 a.m. whose target demographic is shut-in otaku in their 20s and 30s, and most of it is creepy and you have to download it via the internet because no company in America will...oh wait, ADV started doing that before they folded, nevermind.
Every single time the Anime Defense Force comes around, you'll list the same shit over and over as to why "anime isn't terrible", but you fail to realize that, if haters didn't like those shows to being with, then why the hell do you keep bringing them up?  Keep in mind, also, that even Adult Swim, which brought in several shows that you loved, doesn't even want to deal with anime anymore because you guys don't bring in the ratings.  The anime boom is dead.  Anime fans killed anime in America because they refuse to buy shit, instead pirating everything they ever watch.  The fandom also tens to cling to creepy moe stuff constantly.  Yeah, I think you guys need to re-evaluate yourselves before trying to defend your animes once again.

Giant Bomb Hates Anime (and by "hates anime" I mean they are closeted racists)

So you hate anime?  You have every reason to hate anime, honestly.  The fans are terrible, there are tons of terrible shows, the fans think that anime is some kind of high art form and great sub-culture that their lives have to revolve around anime 24/7.  Yes, anime is awful...  What?  Why, no, I don't think we need to nuke Japan again.  What do you mean the two nukes from WWII mutated the Japanese so that their brains are wired all wrong and they fondle little girls because of it?  What the fuck is your problem?  That's right, people, you hate anime.  And every now and again, one of you tries to bring in edgy humor once found only in the annals of 4chan, Fark, Something Awful, wherever ironic racism is funny!  Ironic racism is the best!  Totally ironic, nothing wrong with that, I'm a white, middle class teenager on the internet calling out the Japs on their shit.  Every anti-anime sentiment eventually leads to racist comments.  This is nothing new, and that is why this is also boring as shit.  There's a place on the interent, however, where they will accept your "ironic racism" though, and that is Stormfront.org.  Go there.  And don't come back.  Then kill yourself.

What Can Giant Bomb Do To Solve This Hot-Button Issue of Anime vs. Not-Anime?

That's easy.  STOP FUCKING TALKING ABOUT ANIME, NOBODY GIVES A SHIT THAT YOU LOVE/HATE ANIME!  Nobody cares that you think Cowboy Bebop is the best show since The A-Team.  And nobody cares that you hated anime long before it was cool to hate on anime.  And maybe someday, when people stop talking about anime on Giant Bomb, we will be at least a better community than GameFAQs.  Or you know, all of you go to GameFAQs and post there, they seem to love talking about stupid shit.

Post-Game Analysis

Making a thread with the word "anime" on it is guaranteed to generated a billion replies because holy shit to you people love to talk about anime! I'm expecting a billion replies that didn't read the thread whatsoever just because of the word "anime" on the title!
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MercuryCrusader

Oh hey, awesome, a video game enthusiast community! Hopefully, it isn't as retarded as GameFAQs or IGN or anything like that.  I bet there will be discussions about the latest games, old favorites, and more!  Maybe people here are old enough to remember the Nintendo Entertainment System?  Who knows!  There is one thing I am worried about...  I really, REALLY, hope that people don't talk about anime nonstop, and that there is a horrible divide amongst the community over what is essentially a non-issue. 

Woops. 

So...  Anime.  I hear it is for jerks.  I hear lots of people think it is terrible.  I also hear that people who love anime love the exact same set of shows and nothing beyond.  What, you say Cowboy Bebop was awesome?  Thought Neon Genesis Evangelion was a deep, thought-provoking show?  Maybe you like that Naruto show that kids seem to love these days like kids used to love Dragon Ball Z back in the day.  Well, it seems like every single time anime is brought up in the Giant Bomb community, it devolves into a shitstorm of stupidity.  Congrats, everybody! Those of you who hate anime sure are loud and obnoxious about how much you hate it! And those of you who love anime sure won't shut up about how much you love it!  Who is the real winner in this fight for supremacy?

My Personal Opinion of Anime?

This is long and unnecessary, go straight to the next section.

Honestly, I didn't give a shit about anime growing up.  It was all video games and terrible B-movies for me.  I took some Japanese language classes in high school because I thought it was weird that there was a Japanese language class in my high school, and boy, when I took that class, what a terrible mistake that was! Keep in mind, this was back in 2000, I didn't have the internet, and most of your memes and stupid 4chan/Genmay-related bullshit hadn't been invented yet. Yet even back in those days, all your anime fan stereotypes were represented.  Japanophiles, people talking non-stop about the anime they were watching, mentioning they only took the class because they watch anime, and more!  I put up with two years of that crap, and made out alright.  Unlike the rest of the class, who failed out because learning a new language was too difficult, I did alright.  My conversational skills are pretty awful, but my reading and listening comprehension was fine.

My new Japanese language skills were getting stagnant, so I figured I'd find something, ANYTHING, to keep it fresh.  Obviously, I had a bad experience with anime fans, so the last think I wanted to do was get sucked into their little world.  What I ended up doing was importing Japanese video games.  Most of the games I wanted, however, were not text heavy, so I had to find a game that fulfilled a couple of requirements: it had to be text-heavy, not released in the United States, and wouldn't be boring to trudge through.  At this point in time, I was getting bored with standard RPGs, but I loved the idea of strategy RPGs.  What I ended up playing was a Super Famicom game that was part of a franchise that I would soon be a huge fan of: Super Robot Taisen 4.

For the uninformed, the Super Robot Taisen franchise is a series of strategy RPGs made by Banpresto that involves series crossovers of giant robot anime.  As this was the fourth game in the series, most of the shows present in the game weren't shown in America (for the most part), so I had no idea what any of these characters were.  All I knew was that all the robots didn't seem to fit in with one another, except the Gundam stuff (at the time, Gundam Wing was it, I had no idea there was anything beyond that (I hated Gundam Wing)).  Looking into it, I learned that most of the shows represented in the game were older giant robot shows from the 1970s and 1980s.  And the reason I really got into this was because, even though I didn't give a shit about anime,  loved B-movies, especially old giant monster movies like Godzilla and Gamera.  Giant robots was just the next logical step.

"VOLTES FIVE!"
To better understand the characters and stuff in the games, which assume you're at least familiar with the series present, I did the unthinkable.  I watched anime.  Unfortunately, most of these shows were old.  Anime distribution companies in the US didn't license any of these older shows, and fansubbers didn't want to work on anything that was both several episodes long and old (even though they'll sub Naruto until the end of time).  I basically watched what I could.  The original Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy was first, and suprisingly I enjoyed it.  It didn't feature the retardedness that Gundam Wing provided years earlier.  I found old fansubs of both Combattler V and Voltes V (I used to live in the Philippines when I was a kid and was familiar with Voltes V, it is probably the most popular cartoon in the country), and I enjoyed the campiness of a combining robot with goofy superweapons that defy modern science.  And then I got a chance to watch the original Mazinger Z from an old Hong Kong bootleg.  The subtitles for that show were terrible, but I didn't need them.  And I was hooked.

Hooked on anime?  No.  I was hooked on giant robot shows.  This all came at a terrible price, however.  For every good show, there were several awful shows.  Everything I know about anime was because I wanted to better know the stuff that was going on in these games.  Unfortunately, the stuff I didn't like in the games reflected when I watched the shows.  For example, I didn't like the EVA units or the characters from Evangelion when I played games featuring them.  When I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, I realized why.  As a strange aside, I did love Space Runaway Ideon, which was thematically similar to Evangelion, only it was made over a decade earlier.

My opinion on anime?  It has horrible fans, a terrible sub-culture, and a lot of shows seem to pander to their awfulness.

Giant Bomb Loves Anime

So you love anime and want to defend its honor in the halls of the Giant Bomb message boards?  Good for you, I hope you have a sound argument to bring to the table, as defending anime is a difficult task.  Wait, what are you doing?  What is that?  OH SHIT NAW, it's a list of "shows you think are good".  What the hell is that going to do?  Well, let's see what is on your list of "good shows" shall we:
  • Shows that were featured on Toonami; Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, whatever.
  • Shows that were featured on Adult Swim; Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, whatever.
  • Shows that were aired in Japan at 1:00 a.m. whose target demographic is shut-in otaku in their 20s and 30s, and most of it is creepy and you have to download it via the internet because no company in America will...oh wait, ADV started doing that before they folded, nevermind.
Every single time the Anime Defense Force comes around, you'll list the same shit over and over as to why "anime isn't terrible", but you fail to realize that, if haters didn't like those shows to being with, then why the hell do you keep bringing them up?  Keep in mind, also, that even Adult Swim, which brought in several shows that you loved, doesn't even want to deal with anime anymore because you guys don't bring in the ratings.  The anime boom is dead.  Anime fans killed anime in America because they refuse to buy shit, instead pirating everything they ever watch.  The fandom also tens to cling to creepy moe stuff constantly.  Yeah, I think you guys need to re-evaluate yourselves before trying to defend your animes once again.

Giant Bomb Hates Anime (and by "hates anime" I mean they are closeted racists)

So you hate anime?  You have every reason to hate anime, honestly.  The fans are terrible, there are tons of terrible shows, the fans think that anime is some kind of high art form and great sub-culture that their lives have to revolve around anime 24/7.  Yes, anime is awful...  What?  Why, no, I don't think we need to nuke Japan again.  What do you mean the two nukes from WWII mutated the Japanese so that their brains are wired all wrong and they fondle little girls because of it?  What the fuck is your problem?  That's right, people, you hate anime.  And every now and again, one of you tries to bring in edgy humor once found only in the annals of 4chan, Fark, Something Awful, wherever ironic racism is funny!  Ironic racism is the best!  Totally ironic, nothing wrong with that, I'm a white, middle class teenager on the internet calling out the Japs on their shit.  Every anti-anime sentiment eventually leads to racist comments.  This is nothing new, and that is why this is also boring as shit.  There's a place on the interent, however, where they will accept your "ironic racism" though, and that is Stormfront.org.  Go there.  And don't come back.  Then kill yourself.

What Can Giant Bomb Do To Solve This Hot-Button Issue of Anime vs. Not-Anime?

That's easy.  STOP FUCKING TALKING ABOUT ANIME, NOBODY GIVES A SHIT THAT YOU LOVE/HATE ANIME!  Nobody cares that you think Cowboy Bebop is the best show since The A-Team.  And nobody cares that you hated anime long before it was cool to hate on anime.  And maybe someday, when people stop talking about anime on Giant Bomb, we will be at least a better community than GameFAQs.  Or you know, all of you go to GameFAQs and post there, they seem to love talking about stupid shit.

Post-Game Analysis

Making a thread with the word "anime" on it is guaranteed to generated a billion replies because holy shit to you people love to talk about anime! I'm expecting a billion replies that didn't read the thread whatsoever just because of the word "anime" on the title!
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#2  Edited By Jazz

So you're saying 

ITS BAN HAMMER TIME!
 ITS BAN HAMMER TIME!
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By nanikore

I didn't read that, but I can tell you that anime is for jerks.

karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By karatetron
@nanikore said:
" I didn't read that, but I can tell you that anime is for jerks. "
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax
@nanikore said:
Are you that much of a Jeff Gerstmann dick rider?
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

I read that and can say that anime is for jerks. Also posting yet another thread involving the word anime is not going to help anything.

MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@Afroman269 said:
"I read that and can say that anime is for jerks. Also posting yet another thread involving the word anime is not going to help anything. "

It's hard to discuss why it is terrible to discuss anime without using the word anime.  The word is like a friggin' bug zapper.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Afroman269
@MercuryCrusader said:
" @Afroman269 said:
"I read that and can say that anime is for jerks. Also posting yet another thread involving the word anime is not going to help anything. "
It's hard to discuss why it is terrible to discuss anime without using the word anime.  The word is like a friggin' bug zapper. "
Well I guess I appreciate your attempt because you bring up good points. Haters will still shit on anime no matter what and anime fans should just give up on trying to convince them otherwise. Just go watch and enjoy your anime and shut up about is what I say. I just like to say anime is for jerks because it easily annoys the fanboys and unfortunately I see this thread descending into a pointless shitstorm of argument like the other threads that involve anime. Thanks for trying though.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Afroman269
@nanikore said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @nanikore said:
Are you that much of a Jeff Gerstmann dick rider? "
Are you too stupid to understand that it's a joke? "
This. I only keep saying it because it gets the anime fan's panties in a bunch.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I don't understand why it's neccesary to make a distinction between anime and western animation.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Afroman269 said:
" @nanikore said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @nanikore said:
This. I only keep saying it because it gets the anime fan's panties in a bunch. "
Heh, yep.
Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

You say to stop talking about anime, yet you make a post about it?

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now i know what you're saying...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I personally don't see the problem. Usually I just ignore the topics consisting of anime gushing/bashing. Few exceptions (like when Symphony posted that blog) require a response. Aside from that... meh. I don't see Video Game anywhere in the title of this site, so maybe you could ease up a bit on what people discuss here. 

Or you can get angry over people discussing what is a very robust sub-culture of the Internet. -shrug- Your call, messieurs.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By PerryVandell
@nanikore said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @nanikore said:
You aren't stupid if you don't sense sarcasm in text form. (Unless it's really REALLY obvious) There have been times where I have gone after someone because of them being a dick and having them pull the "i was joking how could you not realize that" card. It's fine to use sarcasm, but sometimes it's nice to write something like "/sarcasm" just to make it clear that you are in fact joking around rather than having someone misinterpret what you say and start a flame war. Just my two cents.

Now to address the blog, I in fact do like anime, but I am weary of people who like anime too much. The people who go out and wear Naruto headbands in public when not at a convention and the like. Anime is great, but if you don't like it that's understandable too.
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@Atomasist said:
"You say to stop talking about anime, yet you make a post about it? "

Isn't it ironic. 

Doncha think?
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nanikore
@Fullmetal216 said:
" @nanikore said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @nanikore said:
You aren't stupid if you don't sense sarcasm in text form. (Unless it's really REALLY obvious) There have been times where I have gone after someone because of them being a dick and having them pull the "i was joking how could you not realize that" card. It's fine to use sarcasm, but sometimes it's nice to write something like "/sarcasm" just to make it clear that you are in fact joking around rather than having someone misinterpret what you say and start a flame war. Just my two cents.

Now to address the blog, I in fact do like anime, but I am weary of people who like anime too much. The people who go out and wear Naruto headbands in public when not at a convention and the like. Anime is great, but if you don't like it that's understandable too. "
It's not sarcasm. It's a meme. Memes are jokes, and natetodamax obviously knows that it's something said as a joke by Jeff Gerstmann.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jeff incite a shitstorm at G-spot when he popped off that line?

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I think for a community that is so split on Anime we do a pretty good job of not killing each other over it. You anime guys just need to remember that this is a VIDEO GAME website and while it's perfectly fine for you to post anime related blogs or topics, not everyone on the site is going to agree with you and they have the same right to post their opinion as you do to post yours.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Anime sucks.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By bonbolapti

Giantbomb sure does love/hate trends.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Fallen189
@natetodamax said:
" @nanikore said:
Don't try to argue with him, or anyone that says that, there's just no hope for coherent debate.
hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hai2u

anime is definitely for jerks.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#24  Edited By LordAndrew
@nanikore said:
" It's not sarcasm. It's a meme. Memes are jokes, and natetodamax obviously knows that it's something said as a joke by Jeff Gerstmann. "
Unfortunately a lot of people are unaware that it's a joke and quote it as if they agree with him.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25  Edited By Vinchenzo

Anime is pretty lame.

MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MercuryCrusader

Coming up next: The Giant Bomb Community Sure Does Love/Hate Memes!
Roflwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Roflwaffles
@MercuryCrusader: Stormfront is both weaboo and racist.
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@Roflwaffles: Then it's got something for everybody!
obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By obcdexter

If it weren't for these forums I wouldn't even know there was a "problem".
I like me some animu and mango now and then, big fan of Japanese cinema, too. Cultural differences? Yes, please!

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By DukeTogo
@LordXavierBritish said:
"

I don't understand why it's neccesary to make a distinction between anime and western animation.

"
Because the two are entirely different.  One has only to compare Macross to GI Joe.

Anime tends to cater to young kids going to college, the ones that weren't popular in high school, so the fact that they are jerks is part of that.  The fact that they tend to gush about the same ones is because those were the entry point for a large segemet of the current anime fanbase.  In the mid-late 90s and early 2000's, Cartoon Network aired anime in a big push to try and bring this huge hobby to a market that was still largely unaware of anime.  During that time is when shows like Cowboy Bebop, Eva, DBZ, Gundam Wing, and Tenchi Muyo were on a steady schedule.  This is where most current anime fans got their cherry popped, and they went on to look for more anime on video.

College dorms are where this spread like wildfire, especially since (harmless stereotype) many Asians are at those colleges and already were fans of anime from their native lands, making it easy to see new and exciting anime that hadn't been released here yet.  This propagated the "elitist" anime fan attitude that makes the jerkiness shine by announcing they only watch "raw" or fansub anime that isn't some mainstream release.

There are some that grew up watching it casually and like the old stuff from the 70s and 80s.  It was more pure then and less about trying to be some mind-fuck or too stylish for it's own good.  They were shows about robots and the people that flew them, about the wonder of outer space and humanity's place in it.  While it may well be another form of elitist attitude, it comes from a simpler time when anime was taken less seriously and you could enjoy a bad show just as much as a good one, as long as the robots were cool.

In the end anime has prove nthat it's just another medium for visual storytelling, it's got certain quirks but it's still basically a show like anything else.  Some people are into shows that others view as crap, and vice versa, just like people who think Lost is a great show.  There will be people who try to place themselves above others by acting like they're into something underground, but those are the jerks, not the people who just enjoy shows that happen to be anime instead of solely because it is anime.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@DukeTogo said:
" @LordXavierBritish said:
"

"
Because the two are entirely different.  One has only to compare Macross to GI Joe. "

It's all animation. Obviously there are going to be differences in subject matter and style, but that's because Japan is so culturally different from most other countries. We don't have a different name for Canadian or Europian animation. 

No one is calling The Secret of Kells "Ireland-nime".
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Cowboy Bebop's pretty awesome.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By ch13696

WTF? Another one of these. Who the fuck started this anime hatred on here? Because these fanboys are starting to piss me off.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By penguindust

I pity the fool who don't like Cowboy Bebop!
 I pity the fool who don't like Cowboy Bebop!
I don't think it's really as bad as all that, but it's true there are divisions.  Is the random anime thread any worse than the random "let's talk about girl parts" or "religion: flame bait" posts which also periodically litter the boards?  Not in my opinion.  In a way, it's sad that the amount of anime conversation and debate that happens on Giant Bomb is probably contributing to the potential demise of Anime Vice.  If you can get your fix here, why go there? 
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sabata

Reading this blog made me want to go and pop SRW MX into my PSP and replay it.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By frankxiv

way to be part of the problem?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArchScabby

anime is short for animation.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By jakob187
@JeffGoldblum said:
" I think for a community that is so split on Anime we do a pretty good job of not killing each other over it. You anime guys just need to remember that this is a VIDEO GAME website and while it's perfectly fine for you to post anime related blogs or topics, not everyone on the site is going to agree with you and they have the same right to post their opinion as you do to post yours. "
Probably the best answer you will find in this entire thread.  I couldn't say it better myself!
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By GreggD

I hate anime, but I'm not a racist. Closeted or otherwise. I stopped reading after I read that line.

MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@GreggD: It's more the trend of, after you get so many people to say "I hate anime" you get the one joker that will think it's hilarious to toss out their "ironic racism". Who would say such a thing on an internet message board?  Somebody who thinks the nuke fucked up their DNAs, IMO. Yeah.  Not saying that if you hate anime you're a racist, but you'll get those.  They show up.
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@JeffGoldblum said:
"I think for a community that is so split on Anime we do a pretty good job of not killing each other over it. You anime guys just need to remember that this is a VIDEO GAME website and while it's perfectly fine for you to post anime related blogs or topics, not everyone on the site is going to agree with you and they have the same right to post their opinion as you do to post yours. "

This is literally the best comment so far.
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By CoolDrMoney
Anime fans should just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on whichever shit Anime Vice is flaunting. Problems solved.

@natetodamax said:
" @nanikore said:
This is either the most ironic thing I've ever read on GB or an inconceivably elegant burn. I'll comfort myself with the former.