The greatest mash-up I've heard in a while - Notorious A.D.E.L.E

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By AhmadMetallic

I rarely get awe-struck by music. I get fascinated by the capability, skill and melodies of certain metal bands, I get amused and even mindfucked by the wordplay and genius of some rappers, yet I can't name many songs that literally made me freeze in my spot and be overwhelmed.

A friend of mine recently played this song while we were sitting down and I just couldn't believe how perfect it is.

Adele's angelic voice, the piano music of one of her finest songs, and Biggie's flowing voice sharing his suicidal thoughts.

I must stress that while I like B.I.G, I wasn't familiar with his Suicidal Thoughts song until after listening to this one, which is why listening to him speaking about dying, over the emotional piano riff, and knowing that he did in fact die just 3 years after this song, was why I was so touched and simply compelled by this mash-up.

The knock-out punch that makes the song incredible is what Adele is actually saying. She's a female speaking to (probably) a male and telling him she heard he's settled down and fulfilled his dreams. It fits perfectly to Biggie's lyrics because he's basically having a conversation with Adele, who feels like she's playing his mom, and then his wife, both of which he's talking about.

I guess if you already know the original song, this might not be as hard-hitting for you as it was for me, but either way man, the perfect joining of his sad thought-provoking words and the sad soulful music and voice of Adele makes for an emotional eargasm.

Telling us how he abused his mother followed by asking "I wonder if I died, would tears come to her eyes?", and repeating the same thing about his wife, is just amazing.

Even though Adele gets sampled and mashed up out the ass, this still felt unique.

Do you have a song that had so much going for it that it amazed you?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I rarely get awe-struck by music. I get fascinated by the capability, skill and melodies of certain metal bands, I get amused and even mindfucked by the wordplay and genius of some rappers, yet I can't name many songs that literally made me freeze in my spot and be overwhelmed.

A friend of mine recently played this song while we were sitting down and I just couldn't believe how perfect it is.

Adele's angelic voice, the piano music of one of her finest songs, and Biggie's flowing voice sharing his suicidal thoughts.

I must stress that while I like B.I.G, I wasn't familiar with his Suicidal Thoughts song until after listening to this one, which is why listening to him speaking about dying, over the emotional piano riff, and knowing that he did in fact die just 3 years after this song, was why I was so touched and simply compelled by this mash-up.

The knock-out punch that makes the song incredible is what Adele is actually saying. She's a female speaking to (probably) a male and telling him she heard he's settled down and fulfilled his dreams. It fits perfectly to Biggie's lyrics because he's basically having a conversation with Adele, who feels like she's playing his mom, and then his wife, both of which he's talking about.

I guess if you already know the original song, this might not be as hard-hitting for you as it was for me, but either way man, the perfect joining of his sad thought-provoking words and the sad soulful music and voice of Adele makes for an emotional eargasm.

Telling us how he abused his mother followed by asking "I wonder if I died, would tears come to her eyes?", and repeating the same thing about his wife, is just amazing.

Even though Adele gets sampled and mashed up out the ass, this still felt unique.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

The perfect song. Deal with it.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Shaka999

I really hope you guys don't flag this as youtube spam, cause I want to contribute >_>

Anyways, 3055 by Olafur Arnalds:

It starts slow and kinda depressing, but the time you get to the 2nd half of the song, I don't know man. I just get so many feels.

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By labman

I love musical mashups like that! My favourite is "No Karma" which is a mashup of Jay Z's "No Hook" and Radiohead's "Karma Police."

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShaggE

Limiting to mashups, this one is fucking WILD (skip to 1:15 for song start):

Mashing up a bunch of songs (four of which I don't even like) and making it all sound awesome is no small feat. Sadly, they almost ruin it by throwing in a certain song at the end ("Bodies" by Drowning Pool), but it's only a little bit of it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

Suicidal thoughts is perhaps one of the strongest and most poignant endings to any rap album. I probably felt the same way you did about the mashup when I heard the original.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PhilipDuck

Meh.. it's aight! Thanks for sharing though, love it when music makes someone feel that way. Music is awesome! :p haha

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

Since we're on the subject of mash ups:

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Bleshoo

Well if everyone else is posting one:

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By I_smell
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Ghostiet

My favorite mash-up will always be Shellac's Paco with R. Kelly's Thoia Thoing. It's amazing how perfect this shit is.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By JCTango

@AhmadMetallic: nice mash up dude

@Shaka999 said:

I really hope you guys don't flag this as youtube spam, cause I want to contribute >_>

Anyways, 3055 by Olafur Arnalds:

It starts slow and kinda depressing, but the time you get to the 2nd half of the song, I don't know man. I just get so many feels.

I agree - really nice piece of music. So many feels is right xD.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By Little_Socrates

I really don't like the way Adele sounds; really canny audio on the accelerated speed. And I don't think Biggie matches, though I think he's a fantastic rapper.

So, disagreed, but it's your thing, so do what you wanna do?

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By gloomytangent

I'm just gonna leave this here...

SLAM ME BARKLEY!

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was a sick track, thanks for posting it.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jerseyscum

@Labman said:

I love musical mashups like that! My favourite is "No Karma" which is a mashup of Jay Z's "No Hook" and Radiohead's "Karma Police."

This is fucking awesome!

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By linkster7

@AhmadMetallic said:

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Tireyo

Unfortunately, I didn't like that mash-up.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Allow me to introduce to you the master of the mash-up. His name is 3lau (that's Blau):

He borrows Adele's vocals from "Set Fire to the Rain" and lays them over Axwell's remix of Michael Caflan's excellent "Ressurection", producing a heart-pounding record of straight bass-bliss. May or may not be better on Ecstasy.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gloomytangent
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's so much win in this thread right here, thanks for sharing all this awesome shit.

And to OP, as someone who really loves Biggie this mashup is really awesome.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a really awesome because Mos Def's upbeat delivery somehow goes well with this chill Nujabes beat.   

Another Nujabes mashup thats amazing.  Dear Mama is probably one of the greatest and heartfelt 2Pac songs ever.  The tone of this instrumental and the subject matter go well together 

I remember how I discovered this song over a year ago.......  This is honestly the first time Ive ever heard of Nujabes and this girl's voice goes well with the instrumental too.  
butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By butano

Mashups/Bootleg is my favorite genre of music. I'm always amazed at how DJs can take 2 or more genres of music and just make songs that are completely different than the originals, yet sometimes are even better.

The Mashup Radio is my goto for internet radio. BootieMashup is a good list of Top 10s of the month or whatever. MashStix can be hit or miss, but usually it has the most 'up-to-date' mashups.

Personal favorite artists are Dan Mei, Norwegian Recycling, and DJs from Mars.

My favorite recent mashup:

My favorite "WTF Why Does This Mix So Well?!?!' mashup of all time:

My attempt at a mashup that was featured in a QOTW (remember those?) with with what feels like ages ago:

So yea, for the uninformed about mashups...YOU HAVE BEEN INFORMED!

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperWristBands
@believer258: That's fantastic. I can't believe how well that works.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By buzz_killington
Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Flappy

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: First of all, you get a ton of props for bringing up Nujabes. Secondly, I wanna thank you for linking those mashups. 'Tis some quality stuff.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Flappy: Np, Im glad that you enjoyed them!
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EVO

I like that Biggie/Thomas the Tank Engine one better.

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By labman

@jerseyscum: IKR?! I've heard a lot of awesome mashups since I first heard "No Karma" a few years ago, but none comes even close to as good as that one!

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jerseyscum

@Linkster7 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Stop Making Sense is possibly the greatest concert ever filmed. That audience was LUCKY.

And directed by Jonathan Demme!

It was either this or Psycho Killer. This won out barely.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ben_H

ALL BARKLEY ALL THE TIME 
 I've probably heard a few hundred of these at this point. Here's the best arranged ones that actually use the song they are mixed with incredibly well.

I lost it when I heard this one below: 

And for non-QCD goodness, this is probably one of the best mixes I've heard, the different parts of the song match exactly with the different verses and the chorus. So good: 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss

@AhmadMetallic: Yeah, that's really well done. Helps that I'm a bit of a sucker for both artists.

@Labman: Yeah, that mashes up awesomely. Again sucker for both artists involved.

@Butano: That is straight up insane how that Korn and Abba shit blends together.

Speaking of being a sucker for both artists in a mashup, this is probably my fave:

Now THAT'S gangsta'.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ben_H

OH SHIT I FORGOT SINCE THIS IS BIGGIE RELATED 

ALL I WANT IS BITCHES BIG BOOTY BITCHES USED TO SELL CRACK SO I COULD STACK MY RICHES 

@ProfessorEss: That is amazing!!
mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mikeeegeee

@I_smell: I really, really like the one you made. Streets of Rage is a fucking awesome choice, and your use of the sound effects is awesome.

There's an entire series of these and this is my favorite of the bunch. Nothing against the previous Jadiohead post, but I totally think this one uses No Hook better.

Kubelwagen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kubelwagen

Er, I guess this is the right place for this.

Avatar image for quebec_classique
Quebec_Classique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Quebec_Classique

@Kubelwagen: Lol at 1:04-1:08

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dixavd

@AhmadMetallic said:

This isn't a mash-up but it is a song of two artists which until they did this song I didn't think they had much in common but I think their two representations of becoming successful/overcoming challenges* are really empowering and when I am in a rut, this song usually gets me out of it. I'll probably lose a bunch of credibility for putting a Coldplay/Jay-Z song here but I don't really care; I really like this song, wanted to contribute to this thread even though I don't listen to mash-ups that much and the people who try and bring down successful artists actually prove the point of the song anyway.

Coldplay ft. Jay-Z - Lost +

An other recent song which are special to me in that they bring out a particular feeling from me in either amazement or just empowerment is "If you could see me now" by the Script - a song from their third album which was released in September this year. It's about them coming to terms with losing their parents - the lead singer's father dying on Valentine's Day, and the guitarist's parents dying when he was a kid - and their anger that their parents never got to see them become successful.

The Script - If You Could See Me Now

*(one being that you can't get complacent/give up as a bigger challange will come your way - the other being that when you reach the top everyone else tries to pull you down and you have to be determined to fight against it to be remembered)

Onkel_Apan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Onkel_Apan

my favorite mash up group is Norwegian Recycling

http://norwegianrecycling.net/