The Star Wars: Episode VII trailer

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

John Boyega out-acted the entire prequel trilogy cast without saying a word.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Devil240Z

I thought all the storm troopers were clones of that jango fett guy. So I wonder whats up with black storm trooper.

EDIT: got it, most of the clones would be old dudes by this point and if they only made one batch of clones then they would have to recruit normal dudes at some point.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Anyone notice the short stormtrooper in the trailer? a neat touch.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought all the storm troopers were clones of that jango fett guy. So I wonder whats up with black storm trooper.

EDIT: got it, most of the clones would be old dudes by this point and if they only made one batch of clones then they would have to recruit normal dudes at some point.

Also, we don't have any context for it yet, so he might just be disguised as a stormtrooper, like in A New Hope.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@ltsmash said:

John Boyega out-acted the entire prequel trilogy cast without saying a word.

HA HAA!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have to say that I'm impressed with how much it actually looks like Star Wars. Sure it's got state of the art CGI and special effects, but the actual aesthetic of it looks like Star Wars. Just... HD-er.

Not a fan of the lightsaber redesign, but that's a tiny nitpick considering how optimistic I am for this.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, maybe I'm just tired, but I actually yawned during that trailer. I mean I enjoy me some Star Wars quite a bit, but this trailer sure seems to be a whole lot of nothing. And that's fine, that's what trailers are this far from a movie's release, but the past few years have been so good for hype-filled dorkjoy for me that to have this one feel pretty flat seems like a poor omen.

But we have a year, and they've shown literally only this, so who knows? The next few trailers will probably be a lot better.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jimbo

Fuck that lightsaber, but the rest of the trailer is sick.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By EthanielRain

I don't care much about Star Wars, but those sounds sure are great still. TIE Fighter/Lightsaber in my ears please.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

HOLY SHIT!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I really liked it. I still love the original Star Wars movies and I really loved the Star Trek reboot JJ did as well.

I'm probably just a huge Star Wars nerd but when that sith walked in through the forest and aggressively flicked his lightsaber out ..man... I kinda got really excited right then and there.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By frymillstrum

I hope the lightsaber isn't intended as some sort of Christian imagery.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Cue Star Wars Cantina music and The Sith guy accidently stabbing himself with one of the sides of the new lightsaber.

Loading Video...

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z said:

Also, we don't have any context for it yet, so he might just be disguised as a stormtrooper, like in A New Hope.

Plus that guy is too well know of an actor to be just a stormtrooper. And you never see a real trooper without his helmet on. the only people who run around in helmetless trooper outfits are good guys. BORING CONVERSATION ANYWAY.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: I mean I'm no expert, but I always assumed that the only reason they were even clones in the first place was so the Emperor could brainwash them into killing all the Jedi. Once that was done there's no need for clones anymore, so why keep spending the Empire's hard-earned space bucks on premium stormtroopers when you throw any old idiot in that suit?

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Also, the clonetroopers were bullshit and Star Wars Rebels and VII are running away from everything prequel. How would you ever go from Jedi Killers to the most incompetent army in fiction? Only thing to do is ignore that thread.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinner458: Pretty sure it is supposed to be a cross guard. Which makes a ton of sense for a light saber to have. It is just implemented pretty poorly here as the user could easily chop off their fingers with it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Also, the clonetroopers were bullshit and Star Wars Rebels and VII are running away from everything prequel. How would you ever go from Jedi Killers to the most incompetent army in fiction? Only thing to do is ignore that thread.

How has Rebels been?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the Sith always had these weird lightsabers. I saw no clue of this but I really hope they are doing the Admiral Thrawn trilogy as those were actually really good books.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: I've only seen the first four episodes, but they were pretty cool and surprisingly violent.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By damodar

That sure was a collection of clips that will be in a film.

I was actually a bit anxious to watch it to see how I'd feel. I love the original trilogy, but I'm not much of a fan of Abrams. Would it look terrible? Maybe it would look amazing!

Instead, I kind of just felt nothing. I don't know if that's indicative of how I will actually feel about the movie or if it's just the nature of it being a teaser, because apparently showing me Star Wars stuff while Star Wars music plays under Star Wars sound effects isn't enough to get me going "AWW SHIT YIIEAA SON, IT'S THE STAR WARS".

People saying that it looks like a really high budget fan film, I totally agree.

They should run an ad campaign where Jessica Walter tells people to go see a Star War.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

YES FINALLY

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if we face facts that problem started in episode 3. Wasn't the prequels fault. Otherwise I don't see how the whole "incompetent" thing is worth thinking about because its not true. its just corny movie shit that made it seem so.

Just Ignore the whole Troopers getting smoked by ewoks thing and they're still the ultimate space badasses.(Next to Jedi and bounty hunters and cool dudes like that)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were those fighters Z95 Headhunters or something else?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By nightriff

I'm just done with Star Wars because that didn't interest me or excite me in any way. I love the original Trilogy, hope that that rumor of them releasing the clean versions on bluray is real. After that I really don't give a fuck about that franchise. FYI the Jurrasic World trailer interested me more in comparing two trailers released days apart that are sequels to movies I loved as an 8 year child.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I have no idea if this movie will be any good, but I can't pretend I didn't get goosebumps from watching this.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
@humanity said:

Also the Sith always had these weird lightsabers. I saw no clue of this but I really hope they are doing the Admiral Thrawn trilogy as those were actually really good books.

Abrams has stated that episodes VII - IX probably won't include anything from the expanded universe, though he could also have said that to throw people off.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks terrible. Not what I want from a Star Wars movie at all. I for one enjoyed the prequels and this looks a huge step down from them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Thats a shame, but in my opinion he did such a great job with Star Trek that I'm staying optimistic.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@i_stay_puft: Thats a shame, but in my opinion he did such a great job with Star Trek that I'm staying optimistic.

It's too bad Abrams is only directing Episode 7, although I understand the reasoning behind it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@humanity said:

I honestly think it's true, people need to be more optimistic about this film. This is a new star wars franchise film in a long time that isn't being overseen nor directed by George "I can't write dialogue" Lucas.

Remember all that terrible dialogue?

Exactly.

@theht said:

@dallas_raines said:

How has Rebels been?

I've been watching Rebels and it's pretty much copying the entire outline of the original trilogy to a tee with the cast of characters which isn't necessarily a bad thing. While the serious is a lot lighter in tone compared to Clone Wars it definitely tried to capture the nostalgia feel of a rag team bunch vs the Empire.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Ya know, I've never really been a big Star Wars fan, but I am legitimately looking forward to this. The trailer is cool enough for what it is. Lots of Star Wars-ass Star Wars stuff in it. And I actually really like that lightsaber design. If anything, Abrams has an eye for creating extremely visually striking films, so it will at least have that going for it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koolaid said:

On one hand I'm not saying that a laser cross guard doesn't make sense. Seems like a good idea to protect your hands.

The crossguard wouldn't protect his hands. The attacker could cut through either of the two metal extensions from which the crossguard is emitted. He could even cut off the whole blade during a crossguard parry.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if VII isn't great, I have faith in Rian Johnson's two sequels.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By xSeanZx

Rian Johnson is only directing Episode 8.

Hes doing a bit of writing for 9, but there are going to be three different directors for the films.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@xseanzx: Oh, like the old trilogy. That's cool.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think its a great teaser, gave me chills. But I saw the original 5 times in the summer of 1977 when I was a wee lad, so chills should be expected.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By koolaid

@ezekiel said:

@koolaid said:

On one hand I'm not saying that a laser cross guard doesn't make sense. Seems like a good idea to protect your hands.

The crossguard wouldn't protect his hands. The attacker could cut through either of the two metal extensions from which the crossguard is emitted. He could even cut off the whole blade during a crossguard parry.

Surely the crossguard + metal extensions are better protection then having nothing there at all.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Cirdain

@xseanzx said:

@dallas_raines said:

Hes doing a bit of writing for 9, but there are going to be three different directors for the films.

Is Gareth Edwards (all hail the vfx god) doing the last one?

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By xSeanZx

@cirdain said:

@xseanzx said:

@dallas_raines said:

Is Gareth Edwards (all hail the vfx god) doing the last one?

He is doing one of the spinoff films, which gary whitta is writing. Because of that, I doubt it, but they havent announced a director for episode 9 yet so we dont know for sure

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#92 FinalDasa  Moderator

@mb: Deep cut.

I think this looks fine but what else can you tell from a teaser trailer? Looks very modern, a lot of CGI, and a lot of camera movements that may change the feel and style of the movie drastically. I'm excited for a new Star Wars film but I wonder how many people are getting it in their head that these will be just like the originals and not something new. Hopefully most people aren't setting themselves up for more pre-sequel disappointment.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93  Edited By Milkman

I'm not sure what people who are disappointed in this trailer possibly expected. Looks like Star Wars. I like JJ Abrams and I like Star War. I'll see it.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool that it looks "old school". Other then that I don't even get how you can be hyped. There wasn't much there.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish this trailer didn't have X-wings, stormtroopers, or the Millennium Falcon in it so that I could forget it existed.
Instead, I have no choice but to see it in theaters opening weekend. I hate you, JJ Abrams.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hassun said:

That lightsabre (if it actually is a lightsabre) looks pretty stupid.

No Caption Provided

I find complaints about the lightsaber ridiculous. Remove the crossguard and guess what? The "cut here" still applies. If the attacking stroke is a bit off, instead of taking off the hand, it is deflected.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By hassun

@sergio: No it just means the crossguard is completely useless and only there to look nice. I merely highlighted it because it is useless. Swords with and without crossguards exist in real life but there is a reason for them to be there.

This is a non-functional design.

Of course you can say "who cares it's Star Wars, shit doesn't make sense" and like or dislike it based on the stylistic appeal of this kind of weapon. Just don't try to pretend it's actually a functioning crossguard.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@hassun said:

That lightsabre (if it actually is a lightsabre) looks pretty stupid.

No Caption Provided

I find complaints about the lightsaber ridiculous. Remove the crossguard and guess what? The "cut here" still applies. If the attacking stroke is a bit off, instead of taking off the hand, it is deflected.

Exactly, and given the propensity lightsabers have for hand removal, anything is better than nothing.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By hassun

@mjk0104: It actually wouldn't be too hard to create lots of really funky lightsabre technology-based weapons and tools and use them for a whole lot of interesting applications since their cutting/penetrating powers are shown to be downright insane.

It would even be possible to make an actually functioning lightsabre crossguard. The thing you see in the trailer just isn't it.