Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By krummey
The Dude
The Dude

Since I seem incapable of using the image editor and list feature in tandem, I guess I'll put this here. I asked my eight-year-old son to tell me why he liked the games we played together this year. Here are the results. (Also, should anyone feel like commenting, I'd ask that you keep it PG. I'd really like to show my son what you guys might say. Thanks!)

10. DC Universe Online

Dad's take: I don't play MMOs, in fact I wrote a dumb blog about that. But I gave this one a whirl, after it went free-to-play. I'm still not sure it's my bag, but I'm going to keep poking away at it.

The Dude:I like helping the citizens all around Metropolis (that’s Superman’s city). I like fighting the gorillas and Brainiac’s robots. Super-speed is the best power, especially when it’s upgraded. Then you’re almost as fast as The Flash. My dad has flight as a power.

9. Stacking

Dad's take: Definitely the best game set around the turn-of-the-century featuring flatulent Russian stacking dolls I've seen in a long time. Quick to get though, which suits us pretty well.

The Dude: My favorite doll is the one that is huge and gives wedgies. I liked fighting the Baron. When he’s as small as Charlie you play Rock, Paper, Scissors against him.

8. Pokemon Black/White

Dad's take: My first look at ANYTHING Pokemon related. I'll admit, I was digging it. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't enough to keep my attention, but I did get a kick out of doing a few IR battles with the Dude's Pokemon, even though I was wildly underleveled compared to him.

The Dude:Getting all the Pokemon is your main objective. You need both games, Black and White, to complete the Pokedex. I think fire is the coolest power. My Tepig evolved into Pignite and then into Emboar. There’s so many different Pokeballs.

7. X-Men Destiny

Dad's take: OK, here we go, the first game on this list I really like. And not even ironically. I don't care what Ryan has to say, this game is fun. Sure, it's short, and shallow, and kinda flat, and...well, who cares? We spent a great weekend beating this game twice (while getting the platinum trophy). My favorite moment was during our second playthrough, when the Dude left the room in a rage after I sided with Magneto. Seeing him get attached to characters in the way for the first time was a joy.

The Dude:Different powers to choose, different players to choose, different TEAMS to choose. Different things to say, which change your adventure kind of. (on a semi-related note) Isn’t it weird that Sentinels are made of plastic?

6. Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One

Dad's take: This one was a Christmas gift, so we haven't had too much time to really dive in, but through the first two levels we're having a blast. Not exactly a Ratchet game anymore, more of a family friendly third person shooter, it still has the great humor and quirky characters that have made this series so great.

The Dude:You can suck up crates and creatures with the Vac-U. I play as Ratchet, my dad plays as Qwark. He usually gets the most bolts. It's fun to play with a teammate.

5. Rayman: Origins

Dad's take: Another game we've played criminally little of. And sure, the co-op has few, if any, differences from the single player, but it just looks SO GREAT. I wanna eat it.

The Dude: I bought this game with my own money. I saw a video of the bubblizer on Dad’s iPhone. You can slap other guys on your team. Those circle plant things, if you hit them something happens. You can put different skins on your guys.

4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Dad's take: I LOVE Uncharted 2. It might be my favorite game of this generation. I lost track of the number of times my jaw dropped during my first playthrough of that game. Uncharted 3? Eh, it's every bit as good, if a little more disjointed in the story department, but it mainly made me want to play its predecessor again. At the end though, when Drake trades one ring for another, I was reminded what makes these games so special: the characters.

The Dude:It’s just cool. I don’t really know how to explain it. I like it equally with Uncharted 2, well Uncharted 3 is better, but in Uncharted 2 you could cheat and give yourself the weapons. If you could do that in Uncharted 3, but not in Uncharted 2, Uncharted 2 would get three stars, and Uncharted 3 would get five stars. There’s more action and running to escape in Uncharted 3.

3. LittleBigPlanet 2

Dad's take: LittleBigPlanet was The Dude's favorite game, bar none, for two straight years. We played and played and played. Its sequel improves it in every way imaginable. Constantly evolving thanks to robust creation tools and an imaginative fanbase, this is the game that keeps on giving.

The Dude: Creating levels is really fun because there’s new stuff to use but you can also use the stuff from the old game. I liked the Nurse. You can throw cupcakes at your enemies to kill them and shoot mutant marshmallows. The final boss really is a human vacuum cleaner.

2. Portal 2

Dad's take: Every time I got frustrated by a puzzle, be it in co-op or single player, and The Dude took over and solved it...Hey, I like getting to be a proud dad because of video games. Also, they did it you guys. They made Portal better.

The Dude: There’s the gel, and those circle robot things, the one says “SPAAAAACE,” and the other one is a military one. They’re funny. The gel goes through the portals.

1. Super Meat Boy

Dad's take: Yeah, I know it didn't come out this year. But I was finally able to justify to my wife that we needed three consoles last Christmas, so I didn't get to play this until this year. I have a blog post floating around in my head claiming this game to be the "Greatest 'Video Game' Ever". It looks like a "video game", it feels like a "video game", it even sounds like a "video game". Stupid addictive, crazy satisfying, and oozing with style, this game will be on the top of any list I ever make, ever.

The Dude:I aced a level my dad couldn’t even finish.

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By krummey
The Dude
The Dude

Since I seem incapable of using the image editor and list feature in tandem, I guess I'll put this here. I asked my eight-year-old son to tell me why he liked the games we played together this year. Here are the results. (Also, should anyone feel like commenting, I'd ask that you keep it PG. I'd really like to show my son what you guys might say. Thanks!)

10. DC Universe Online

Dad's take: I don't play MMOs, in fact I wrote a dumb blog about that. But I gave this one a whirl, after it went free-to-play. I'm still not sure it's my bag, but I'm going to keep poking away at it.

The Dude:I like helping the citizens all around Metropolis (that’s Superman’s city). I like fighting the gorillas and Brainiac’s robots. Super-speed is the best power, especially when it’s upgraded. Then you’re almost as fast as The Flash. My dad has flight as a power.

9. Stacking

Dad's take: Definitely the best game set around the turn-of-the-century featuring flatulent Russian stacking dolls I've seen in a long time. Quick to get though, which suits us pretty well.

The Dude: My favorite doll is the one that is huge and gives wedgies. I liked fighting the Baron. When he’s as small as Charlie you play Rock, Paper, Scissors against him.

8. Pokemon Black/White

Dad's take: My first look at ANYTHING Pokemon related. I'll admit, I was digging it. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't enough to keep my attention, but I did get a kick out of doing a few IR battles with the Dude's Pokemon, even though I was wildly underleveled compared to him.

The Dude:Getting all the Pokemon is your main objective. You need both games, Black and White, to complete the Pokedex. I think fire is the coolest power. My Tepig evolved into Pignite and then into Emboar. There’s so many different Pokeballs.

7. X-Men Destiny

Dad's take: OK, here we go, the first game on this list I really like. And not even ironically. I don't care what Ryan has to say, this game is fun. Sure, it's short, and shallow, and kinda flat, and...well, who cares? We spent a great weekend beating this game twice (while getting the platinum trophy). My favorite moment was during our second playthrough, when the Dude left the room in a rage after I sided with Magneto. Seeing him get attached to characters in the way for the first time was a joy.

The Dude:Different powers to choose, different players to choose, different TEAMS to choose. Different things to say, which change your adventure kind of. (on a semi-related note) Isn’t it weird that Sentinels are made of plastic?

6. Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One

Dad's take: This one was a Christmas gift, so we haven't had too much time to really dive in, but through the first two levels we're having a blast. Not exactly a Ratchet game anymore, more of a family friendly third person shooter, it still has the great humor and quirky characters that have made this series so great.

The Dude:You can suck up crates and creatures with the Vac-U. I play as Ratchet, my dad plays as Qwark. He usually gets the most bolts. It's fun to play with a teammate.

5. Rayman: Origins

Dad's take: Another game we've played criminally little of. And sure, the co-op has few, if any, differences from the single player, but it just looks SO GREAT. I wanna eat it.

The Dude: I bought this game with my own money. I saw a video of the bubblizer on Dad’s iPhone. You can slap other guys on your team. Those circle plant things, if you hit them something happens. You can put different skins on your guys.

Dad's take: I LOVE Uncharted 2. It might be my favorite game of this generation. I lost track of the number of times my jaw dropped during my first playthrough of that game. Uncharted 3? Eh, it's every bit as good, if a little more disjointed in the story department, but it mainly made me want to play its predecessor again. At the end though, when Drake trades one ring for another, I was reminded what makes these games so special: the characters.

The Dude:It’s just cool. I don’t really know how to explain it. I like it equally with Uncharted 2, well Uncharted 3 is better, but in Uncharted 2 you could cheat and give yourself the weapons. If you could do that in Uncharted 3, but not in Uncharted 2, Uncharted 2 would get three stars, and Uncharted 3 would get five stars. There’s more action and running to escape in Uncharted 3.

3. LittleBigPlanet 2

Dad's take: LittleBigPlanet was The Dude's favorite game, bar none, for two straight years. We played and played and played. Its sequel improves it in every way imaginable. Constantly evolving thanks to robust creation tools and an imaginative fanbase, this is the game that keeps on giving.

The Dude: Creating levels is really fun because there’s new stuff to use but you can also use the stuff from the old game. I liked the Nurse. You can throw cupcakes at your enemies to kill them and shoot mutant marshmallows. The final boss really is a human vacuum cleaner.

2. Portal 2

Dad's take: Every time I got frustrated by a puzzle, be it in co-op or single player, and The Dude took over and solved it...Hey, I like getting to be a proud dad because of video games. Also, they did it you guys. They made Portal better.

The Dude: There’s the gel, and those circle robot things, the one says “SPAAAAACE,” and the other one is a military one. They’re funny. The gel goes through the portals.

1. Super Meat Boy

Dad's take: Yeah, I know it didn't come out this year. But I was finally able to justify to my wife that we needed three consoles last Christmas, so I didn't get to play this until this year. I have a blog post floating around in my head claiming this game to be the "Greatest 'Video Game' Ever". It looks like a "video game", it feels like a "video game", it even sounds like a "video game". Stupid addictive, crazy satisfying, and oozing with style, this game will be on the top of any list I ever make, ever.

The Dude:I aced a level my dad couldn’t even finish.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Very nice list Dad. Tell The Dude he has a great dad.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I also thought Uncharted 3 was better than the second game too.  Great list guys!

Avatar image for countinhallways
countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By countinhallways

Nice list and I love the dual reasoning behind each entry. It warms my heart to hear of a father and son playing through co-op games together.

Sounds like one lucky Dude!

Paulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Paulus

I am concerned with the lack of skylanders!

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Gizmo

Damn, when I was a kid I only had DK Bible Story Puzzles and a free trial disc of some shitty Monster Truck game to play.

Kids these days...

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By krummey
@Paulus

I'm not. Unlike Jeff, I can't write off $200 worth of toys on my taxes. :)
krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By krummey
@Claude I did, thanks!
ffdthree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ffdthree

This is adorable.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm

Not enough Saints Row: The Third.

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By krummey
@Napalm

Not enough Saints Row: The Third.

Ha! Maybe in a few years! Although, he tells me his similarly aged cousins got Skyrim for Christmas...
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dalai

@Paulus said:

I'm more concerned about the lack of Saints Row: The Third.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By themangalist

i usually don't read these user GOTY threads, but this seems like fun. Super meat boy is too bloody and violent for your kids!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!

So dumb. When i was 8 i played Duke Nukem 3D and I'm a perfectly fine young man. Nice going!

@Dalai said:

@Paulus said:

I'm more concerned about the lack of Saints Row: The Third.

From now on, all reviews should basically have that as the final thoughts.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@countinhallways said:

It warms my heart to hear of a father and son playing through co-op games together.

Word!
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By tekmojo

I like this, pretty much how I envision my fatherhood, video game bonding experience to be if and when I settle down.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By sagesebas

@Krummey: I have so many fond memories of playing games with my Dad, you sir are doing a fantastic thing!

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think fire is the coolest power. My Tepig evolved into Pignite and then into Emboar. 

Tell your son he is so right about this. Fire starters were always the coolest.
krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By krummey
@Vegetable_Side_Dish
I think fire is the coolest power. My Tepig evolved into Pignite and then into Emboar. 

Tell your son he is so right about this. Fire starters were always the coolest.
He said, "He can do an after-burn to damage enemies". So it sounds like you're right.
QueenEileen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By QueenEileen

Speaking as a completely objective third party observer, with absolutely no personal interest in the matter-- this is the best list ever.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Arbie

I think this is the only GOTY list that's kept my attention completely. Short and to the point whilst also being so sweet!

You seem like an awesome dad, and hey, tell the Dude he rocks! Would love to see more review type things of games from both your points of view in the future. I don't have any kids yet, but I do have a nephew that I intend to play games with as soon as he can hold a controller!

Also, out of curiosity, is it 'The Dude' as in from The Big Lebowski?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoG

This is adorable, and because it is by your son, it is officially the #1 top 10 list of 2011. 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By recroulette

Probably my favorite goty list I've read. Loved it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By TobbRobb

Your kid rocks! Did he really buy Rayman on his own initiative? I sense great taste in this one.

Did he finish Super Meat Boy? He has my umtost respect just for liking it at all. Most of my younger relatives just get frustrated with challenge, :(.

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By krummey

@Erzs said:

Also, out of curiosity, is it 'The Dude' as in from The Big Lebowski?

No, I got that from my father, he called me "Dude" when I was younger. Keeping (small) traditions alive!

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By krummey

@TobbRobb said:

Your kid rocks! Did he really buy Rayman on his own initiative? I sense great taste in this one.

Did he finish Super Meat Boy? He has my umtost respect just for liking it at all. Most of my younger relatives just get frustrated with challenge, :(.

Well, he bought Rayman after I talked him out of buying Rango or some other garbage. But it was he second choice. He can't finish SMB, but he has aced a few levels from Rapture and the secret world.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By amir90

Nice list.

Did you play more then 10 games together thou?

You seem like a great dad though :)

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Jimbo

@Krummey said:

He has a point.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Krummey said:

@Paulus

You just blew my mind when I realized Jeff's Skylanders are actually a work expense. Holy crap.

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By krummey

@amir90 said

Did you play more then 10 games together thou?

Yeah we played quite a few this year. I think, excepting Portal, I tried to choose games that would be fresh in his mind, i.e. ones we had played recently. Bastion, Rock of Ages, Rock Band 3, MUA2, and Tales From Monkey Island come to mind as games that occupied a bunch of our time that didn't make the list for one reason or another.

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By krummey

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Krummey said:

@Paulus

You just blew my mind when I realized Jeff's Skylanders are actually a work expense. Holy crap.

Must be nice, huh?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By TobbRobb

@Krummey: That... Is pretty impressive. Rapture is damn hard.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TehFlan

This warms my heart. My dad and I playing Dr. Mario is one of my earliest memories.

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By krummey
@TehFlan
This warms my heart. My dad and I playing Dr. Mario is one of my earliest memories.
I know, right? For me it was RBI Baseball. It feels pretty good to be on the other end, too.
YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By YOUNGLINK

AWESOME