Unemployment is becoming more and more serious in America

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By daniel_beck_90

Apparently job losses and unemployment among American people and due to the recession is causing more than expected troubles for not only their lives  but also their minds and souls  . 

CNN just posted the article bellow :

"LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Elizabeth Gore, with a voice soaked in motherly calm, counsels her suicidal caller.

"You don't want to live if you can't find a job; I think we need to send you to an emergency room," Gore suggests through her headset.

Gore is among the counselors at the County Mental Heath ACCESS call-in center. Counselors there reckon with 's unemployment rate of 9.5 percent, among the worst in the nation.

"Well, it's a big deal when you tell me that you don't want to live if you don't find something," Gore stresses to her caller. "Do you realize what you're telling me? I am not trying to preach, but that's kind of frightening."

"'s of people don't have jobs," Gore continues with her caller. "You've applied for 200 jobs and only got one call back?"

"Well don't get too dismayed and too discouraged," Gore says. "We are going to get you some kind of counseling first."

Gore hangs in there with her caller like a bent nail. The suicidal woman agrees to go to a psychological evaluation set up by Gore, at a nearby clinic.

Callers reach the counselors at 800-854-7771 for free. It's the same number Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa firmly and clearly broadcasted, after the murder-suicide of seven people Tuesday in the working class neighborhood of .

Erwin Lupoe and his wife, Ana, had been fired from their jobs a week before the tragedy. But whether job loss stems from a firing or a layoff, the effects are traumatic.

"I don't think it's ever been this bad. Not in my tenure," Gore said. "Because the people that we're dealing with now, they have always had [money]. They went to school, they were able to get jobs. Now the jobs are not even out there."

Supervisors at the call-in center say many of these calls are not strictly about mental-health issues, but deal with lapsed medical insurance, foreclosure, bank problems and unemployment benefits.

Gore is 70, a mother of five, with a master's in Health Administration Management and eight years of handling callers over the phone.

Los Angeles County Mental Health executives say a rising number of people who make that 800 call speak only Spanish.

Maricela Velasquez takes many of the Spanish calls, talking and typing while a little figure of a guardian angel seems to watch over her keyboard.

The counselor says there are barriers, because a lot of Latino callers want help but need an education about therapy and mental health.

"They start telling me, 'no soy loco,' I am not crazy," Velasquez explains. "They argue they don't need to go to a home for crazy people.

"A lot of the [Spanish-speaking] families do call because they have lost their jobs, or they know a family member who has lost their job. We try to assure them that everything is going to be OK and that it is normal for them to feel depressed."

Velasquez tries to help her some of her callers find the resources that can improve their employment situation, at times referring them to specific job training or job search sites.

And she and every other worker at this center want people to know, no matter how desperate and broke, that they can afford therapy.

As Velasquez points a caller to psychological help, one therapist is listed as costing between zero and $30 a session, depending on need. Another psychologist costs from $25 to $90.

The screen reads out the list of issues the therapists at clinics deal with, "child abuse, divorce, adult survivors of incest, family violence."

Velasquez wishes Lupoe, the man who killed his family and himself in , had called her.

"We would have intervened," says Velasquez, who also has a masters' degree. "We would have sent a clinician out there right away, within an hour, even sooner. And we would have to contact law enforcement to help us. Especially if he's at the point of telling us at that time he would try to do something."

The phone rings again. Velasquez, Gore and others start their duty of soothing tortured souls.

Often it's as simple as getting someone to agree to lying down on a therapist's couch, so they won't soon lie down in a casket. "

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Apparently job losses and unemployment among American people and due to the recession is causing more than expected troubles for not only their lives  but also their minds and souls  . 

CNN just posted the article bellow :

"LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Elizabeth Gore, with a voice soaked in motherly calm, counsels her suicidal caller.

"You don't want to live if you can't find a job; I think we need to send you to an emergency room," Gore suggests through her headset.

Gore is among the counselors at the County Mental Heath ACCESS call-in center. Counselors there reckon with 's unemployment rate of 9.5 percent, among the worst in the nation.

"Well, it's a big deal when you tell me that you don't want to live if you don't find something," Gore stresses to her caller. "Do you realize what you're telling me? I am not trying to preach, but that's kind of frightening."

"'s of people don't have jobs," Gore continues with her caller. "You've applied for 200 jobs and only got one call back?"

"Well don't get too dismayed and too discouraged," Gore says. "We are going to get you some kind of counseling first."

Gore hangs in there with her caller like a bent nail. The suicidal woman agrees to go to a psychological evaluation set up by Gore, at a nearby clinic.

Callers reach the counselors at 800-854-7771 for free. It's the same number Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa firmly and clearly broadcasted, after the murder-suicide of seven people Tuesday in the working class neighborhood of .

Erwin Lupoe and his wife, Ana, had been fired from their jobs a week before the tragedy. But whether job loss stems from a firing or a layoff, the effects are traumatic.

"I don't think it's ever been this bad. Not in my tenure," Gore said. "Because the people that we're dealing with now, they have always had [money]. They went to school, they were able to get jobs. Now the jobs are not even out there."

Supervisors at the call-in center say many of these calls are not strictly about mental-health issues, but deal with lapsed medical insurance, foreclosure, bank problems and unemployment benefits.

Gore is 70, a mother of five, with a master's in Health Administration Management and eight years of handling callers over the phone.

Los Angeles County Mental Health executives say a rising number of people who make that 800 call speak only Spanish.

Maricela Velasquez takes many of the Spanish calls, talking and typing while a little figure of a guardian angel seems to watch over her keyboard.

The counselor says there are barriers, because a lot of Latino callers want help but need an education about therapy and mental health.

"They start telling me, 'no soy loco,' I am not crazy," Velasquez explains. "They argue they don't need to go to a home for crazy people.

"A lot of the [Spanish-speaking] families do call because they have lost their jobs, or they know a family member who has lost their job. We try to assure them that everything is going to be OK and that it is normal for them to feel depressed."

Velasquez tries to help her some of her callers find the resources that can improve their employment situation, at times referring them to specific job training or job search sites.

And she and every other worker at this center want people to know, no matter how desperate and broke, that they can afford therapy.

As Velasquez points a caller to psychological help, one therapist is listed as costing between zero and $30 a session, depending on need. Another psychologist costs from $25 to $90.

The screen reads out the list of issues the therapists at clinics deal with, "child abuse, divorce, adult survivors of incest, family violence."

Velasquez wishes Lupoe, the man who killed his family and himself in , had called her.

"We would have intervened," says Velasquez, who also has a masters' degree. "We would have sent a clinician out there right away, within an hour, even sooner. And we would have to contact law enforcement to help us. Especially if he's at the point of telling us at that time he would try to do something."

The phone rings again. Velasquez, Gore and others start their duty of soothing tortured souls.

Often it's as simple as getting someone to agree to lying down on a therapist's couch, so they won't soon lie down in a casket. "

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I lost my good job at a museum and now I have to substitute teach. Ugh...

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daniel_beck_90

^ Be happy that you have found a substitute at least .

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

I lost my job a while ago and now I have to suck dick. Ugh.......

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

Seven months on and i'm still unemployed. Fucking hell.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

This is why I'm not going to college for a traditional career. They can be just as iffy as a less conventional jobs.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am still in high school so I feel good for now but...it's a totally different world in another year. Yikes. That is a good article, and very sad.  I know many people who have lost their jobs recently and they are going through tough times.

StaticFalconar said:

"I lost my job a while ago and now I have to suck dick. Ugh......."
I don't know whether to +1 or -1 that. I will just leave it as is.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Yea, all this unemployment is awful. It's necessary though.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

what else is new? it took me months to find a new job. 

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hexpane

File under no shit sherlock.  The mass media was too busy w/ "Terror, freedom, mexicans" for the past 8 years to notice the impending bubble burst.   I've been reading about the bubble burst and the implosion of FIRE economics for the past 3 years in Harpers.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pibo47

MMmmmmmm.......Cry some more. This is how the world works bro. People lose jobs, people get jobs, people live and they die. Not going to  stop anytime soon.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hexpane
Pibo47 said:
"MMmmmmmm.......Cry some more. This is how the world works bro. People lose jobs, people get jobs, people live and they die. Not going to  stop anytime soon."
Did you just call CNN bro?  Are you in a frat?>
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pibo47
Hexpane said:
"Pibo47 said:
"MMmmmmmm.......Cry some more. This is how the world works bro. People lose jobs, people get jobs, people live and they die. Not going to  stop anytime soon."
Did you just call CNN bro?  Are you in a frat?>"
If i was in a frat i would have said bra. com'on braaa, lets go blast a joint mmaaaaahhnn. And i was calling, the one and only tc bro, bro.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hexpane
Pibo47 said:
"Hexpane said:
"Pibo47 said:
If i was in a frat i would have said bra. com'on braaa, lets go blast a joint mmaaaaahhnn. And i was calling, the one and only tc bro, bro."
damnit!  Brah dog!  I messed up :(
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Job security is on my mind every single day. Fortunately, if I lose my job, stealing is not a moral dilemma I will be combated with. I have no issues with thievery as it is an ancient art and I believe that survival instinct takes precedence over the laws of man.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PercyChuggs
Bullet_Jr said:
"Job security is on my mind every single day. Fortunately, if I lose my job, stealing is not a moral dilemma I will be combated with. I have no issues with thievery as it is an ancient art and I believe that survival instinct takes precedence over the laws of man."
So you have no problems literally lifting up the corner of a hut so that you may snatch the sweet, sweet olives within?
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bullet_Jr
PercyChuggs said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"Job security is on my mind every single day. Fortunately, if I lose my job, stealing is not a moral dilemma I will be combated with. I have no issues with thievery as it is an ancient art and I believe that survival instinct takes precedence over the laws of man."
So you have no problems literally lifting up the corner of a hut so that you may snatch the sweet, sweet olives within?"
I have no qualms shoplifting, literally or figuratively speaking.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pibo47
Hexpane said:
"Pibo47 said:
"Hexpane said:
"Pibo47 said:
If i was in a frat i would have said bra. com'on braaa, lets go blast a joint mmaaaaahhnn. And i was calling, the one and only tc bro, bro."
damnit!  Brah dog!  I messed up :("
LOL!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude

Information has not been utilized in the world economy and we're supposed to be in the information age.

These calls show individuals falling apart in their own little world. How many lives could be saved for $10/US an hour. These people who answer phone calls are all heroes, by just using their skills... money well spent.

One person can kill not only himself, but many.

The culture class is going to cost a lot. No job, no cash, no pay... = bad day... for all.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daniel_beck_90

^ @ Claude : I am in total agreement with you as always

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snipzor

I'm still unemployed, and I live in Montreal (Troubles not only US-bound).

Just to piss off people, I blame the republicans (Even though I don't). But in these tough economic times, a moving plan might be in order.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#22  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

In my tiny little town, we've seen roughly a fifth of our businesses close down.  I have family and friends without jobs, and it scares the holy hell out of me.  Something's gotta change.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bullet_Jr

If our economic crisis worsens, I now advise people to stock up on black clothing, grappling hooks and smoke bombs.

Some may be blind to the future that awaits us but I am not.

Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the UK and Ireland industries are closing left right and center at the moment, but yesterday it was announced that 600 new Subway sandwich shops are opening this year. Apparently this is good news, although I can't imagine all those skilled professionals with backgrounds in I.T. and construction are going to be that happy throwing together fast food for a living...

At least video games are still selling though, eh?

MrsIronNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrsIronNipples

This is what I love about myself.  My employment isn't completely dependent on others.

OldManLollipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By OldManLollipop
StaticFalconar said:
"I lost my job a while ago and now I have to suck dick. Ugh......."
HAVE to?! :D
jondavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jondavis

Why not just post a link to the article rather than posting it?

Oh well, I guess it doesn't really affect me. Do what you will.