#1 Edited by Sanj (2537 posts) -

In the last known largely unexcavated Maya megacity, archaeologists have uncovered the only known mural adorning an ancient Maya house, a new study saysand it's not just any mural.

In addition to a still vibrant scene of a king and his retinue, the walls are rife with calculations that helped ancient scribes track vast amounts of time. Contrary to the idea the Maya predicted the end of the world in 2012, the markings suggest dates thousands of years in the future.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/05/120510-maya-2012-doomsday-calendar-end-of-world-science/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18018343

Hey you. Yeah, you in the tin-foil hat. The world isn't going to end this year. Go pre-order Bioshock Infinite.

#2 Posted by Humanity (10083 posts) -

Thank God because I enjoy living!

#3 Posted by Ghostiet (5323 posts) -

Meh. Harold Camping predictions are way funnier than the Mayan calendar one ever got.

#4 Edited by Venatio (4493 posts) -

I've never believed that bullshit anyway, maybe this will convince some people

#5 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Maybe we can get the doomsday-theorists to shut up now for a while, the only reason they thought the Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012 was a Mayan farming calender that people think roughly ends around 2012.

If someone found my cellphone in 50 years and got it working, would people believe the world would end 2099 because my phones calender ends there...?

#6 Posted by Bollard (5846 posts) -

The Mayans never "predicted the world would end in 2012", their calendar just happened to end this year. Had they still existed they probably would have just extended it some more (or as this source suggests, they already did.

#7 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

It doesn't really change anything because IT WAS A BUNCH OF FUCKING BULLSHIT ANYWAY.

#8 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

As Chavtheworld said, 2012 was just the year their calendar ended due to the calculations they used.

Even if they did say the world would end in 2012, what the fuck makes people think the Mayans would know?

#9 Posted by theguy (797 posts) -

Goddammit, now when the world doesn't end the believers wont be proved wrong they'll just bring this up.

#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

The world actually ended in 2000, as predicted by poorly written computer programs.

#11 Edited by Sanj (2537 posts) -

The Maya were actually just counting down to the Hobbit movie.

#12 Posted by Management (593 posts) -

Wait, people actually believed that stuff? I always thought it was just a bad joke.

#13 Posted by PassiveKaerenai (323 posts) -

Is it sad that I entertained the thought of looking forward to it? If I'm gonna die, I wanna die in the Freakin' Apocalypse, man. Come on! Am I all alone on this one?

#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

LONG LIVE LIFE!

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

The Mayans never "predicted the world would end in 2012", their calendar just happened to end this year. Had they still existed they probably would have just extended it some more (or as this source suggests, they already did.

Exactly, the Mayans themselves never put any significance on the date, it was only some hack of a "historian" that did that and it's always been widely disputed by anyone with an ounce of sense or knowledge about the Mayans.

This discovery just makes it easier to point and laugh at anyone who was for some reason taking it seriously.

#16 Posted by Willin (1285 posts) -

Man, I was so looking forward to death. Guess it's back to the grind.

#17 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -
@PassiveKaerenai

Is it sad that I entertained the thought of looking forward to it? If I'm gonna die, I wanna die in the Freakin' Apocalypse, man. Come on! Am I all alone on this one?

Co-signed x 100000000.

(presumably) we all have to die eventually. I want my final moments to be exciting.
#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I am disappointed that it wasn't just a MSpaint drawing of fire falling from the sky.

#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Maybe we can get the doomsday-theorists to shut up now for a while, the only reason they thought the Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012 was a Mayan farming calender that people think roughly ends around 2012.

If someone found my cellphone in 50 years and got it working, would people believe the world would end 2099 because my phones calender ends there...?

I believe that now.

#20 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

They actually never accounted for leap days anyway, so the Mayan calendar has actually already been over for a few months.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -

Sounds like... they had the... Maylennium Bug. *sunglasses*

#22 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Quetzalcoatl does not care for your silly drawings, he will still come for humanity.

#23 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

Oh buuu I was hoping for some info like this after the NOthing happened.

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

It wasn't even that, though. The Mayans just thought the end of the calendar meant the end of this period of human history and the beginning of another, like Bahamut Lagoon. Apocalyptic connotations entered the picture only when Westerners saw this calendar stuff and imposed their ideas of the world ending on it. (Not a particularly good idea, either, since their Apocalypse was supposed to happen in, like, the 400s or something.)

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Wasnt the giant stone predicting a "Time of rebirth? 

#26 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

THE MAYANS INVENTED IRON MAN!

#27 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Ok, being serious now: this is actually a bad thing. When Dec 21st rolled around and we were all alive, the lunatics would have had some explaining to do. Now they have an easy out: We were using the wrong calendar!

So we basically screwed ourselves out of a point against the crazies. I hope you're happy archaeological community.

#28 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Wasnt the giant stone predicting a "Time of rebirth?

Uh oh.

#29 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5090 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

Ok, being serious now: this is actually a bad thing. When Dec 21st rolled around and we were all alive, the lunatics would have had some explaining to do. Now they have an easy out: Suicide pact!

#30 Edited by Nephrahim (1157 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

They actually never accounted for leap days anyway, so the Mayan calendar has actually already been over for a few months.

No.

The Myan calendar is based on Days, not years.

#31 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

If any of that was true we would have already been dead a few months ago because of leap days....

#32 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@Jimbo
Sounds like... they had the... Maylennium Bug. *sunglasses*
FUCKIN BRAVO!!!!!

Anyway nobody actually believed this did they?
#33 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

on december 21st 2012, the mayan spaceship xibalba will be restarted and everyone not on it will die.

god you guys learn to read the news

#34 Posted by Agrammon (90 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

Ok, being serious now: this is actually a bad thing. When Dec 21st rolled around and we were all alive, the lunatics would have had some explaining to do. Now they have an easy out: We were using the wrong calendar!

So we basically screwed ourselves out of a point against the crazies. I hope your happy archaeological community.

Exactly what I was thinking :(
#35 Posted by onarum (2297 posts) -

phew! I guess I can stop building my underground bunker then, I should also cancel my plans for ransacking a wallmart in August.

#36 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Kinda makes the current Assassin's Creed plotline look extra dumb. And gives Ubisoft an excuse to produce annualized AC games for thousands of years.

Fuck you, archaeology. This is the madness you wrought!

#37 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -
#38 Posted by jakob187 (21759 posts) -

That mural looks like it predicts The Flash.

I'm okay with this. May Barry Allen bless you all.

#39 Posted by MadMagyar92 (67 posts) -

@PassiveKaerenai said:

Not once have I ever thought about it this way, but now that you mention it, I agree: it's literally the event of a lifetime, and I want to be apart of it, dammit!

#40 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -
#41 Edited by Sanj (2537 posts) -

@MadMagyar92 said:

@PassiveKaerenai said:

Not once have I ever thought about it this way, but now that you mention it, I agree: it's literally the event of a lifetime, and I want to be apart of it, dammit!

That does sound quite glorious...although, I'm pretty sure you'd be thinking differently if the apocalypse actually came and you were surrounded by molten lava or a thousand horny, rapey badgers.

#42 Posted by DougCL (218 posts) -

yo, that looks like fucking iron man. did tony stark invent a time tunnel?

#43 Posted by TwoLines (2841 posts) -

Oh SNAP! What am I going to do with all this survival gear? Damn it! Sigh... at least there's hope for a zombie apocalypse.

#44 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Wait... what happens at the end of 2035 in animal crossing? Because that IS the end year for it on gamecube... does the world end in it then?

#45 Posted by PenguinDust (12629 posts) -

I'm not surprised. Nostradamus's predictions run to the year 3797, so you know the world is going to be around at least until then.

#46 Posted by selbie (1969 posts) -

@Sanj said:

@MadMagyar92 said:

@PassiveKaerenai said:

That does sound quite glorious...although, I'm pretty sure you'd be thinking differently if the apocalypse actually came and you were surrounded by molten lava or a thousand horny, rapey badgers.

Sounds like an epic party to me

#47 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@PenguinDust

I'm not surprised. Nostradamus's predictions run to the year 3797, so you know the world is going to be around at least until then.

He's that rapper, yeah?
#48 Posted by Nephrahim (1157 posts) -

@selbie said:

@Sanj said:

@MadMagyar92 said:

@PassiveKaerenai said:

Sounds like an epic party to me

It's a very old sentiment.

Saint Peter (IE, the guy who founded the Cathiloic church and "First Pope") thought the world would be ending soon. Apparently he was off by a few years.