Week of Metallica: Day One

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

In preparation for the release of Guitar Hero: Metallica, I'll be doing a retrospective of sorts that will include album reviews and other random shit.

First off I'll review the albums Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning:

The one to start it all.
The one to start it all.
In 1983 Metallica helped launch the genre known as thrash metal with their debut, Kill 'Em All. The album was raw, it was fast, it was loud, and it was unlike the hair metal and pop metal bands that dominated the charts in the 80's. These days, some of Kill 'Em All's tracks have aged worse than others (songs entitled "Phantom Lord" just sound generic at this point), the true classics such as Seek and Destroy, Hit the Lights, The Four Horsemen, and Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) still stand today as some of Metallica's best work. Anesthesia also introduced the world to the amazing bass talents of the late Cliff Burton, who was crushed by a bus shortly after the band's third album, Master of Puppets was released.

What will newcomers think?: if you're new to the band you may not like this album as your first Metallica experience. I know I didn't. I found Hetfield's vocals to be too high and screechy, and the overall production quality is sloppy any way you look at it, but if you listen to live cuts of the songs from 1990-on, when Hetfield's voice has grown deeper, the songs will soon become comparable with the classics from their other albums.

Overall Grade: 8.5/10.

The definitive Thrash Experience.
The definitive Thrash Experience.
If you take Kill 'Em All and polish it up 1,000,000 times, you'd probably get something close to the sheer perfection that is Ride the Lightning, Metallica's second album. This album has a place in my heart as the band's best work, as well as my favorite thrash album of all time. RTL was the first Metallica album to feature a ballad, the suicide song Fade to Black, which quickly became a fan favorite, and is frequently covered by Disturbed at their shows. The opening song, Fight Fire With Fire, opens with a slow, clean acoustic riff that sounds somewhat like wind chimes. Then Lars comes in on the cymbals, and the thrashing begins. Hetfield's voice, while still high, is nowhere near as screechy as it was on Kill 'Em All, and the production is nocticably better (by Metallica standards anyway). The band's defining track, For Whom the Bell Tolls, makes its debut here, and yes, the intro is played on a bass. Creeping Death will leave you chanting "DIE! DIE! DIE!" for years to come, and Call of Ktulu, the album's instrumental track creates a spooky atmospheric ending to an album that simply can't be praised enough.

What will newcomers think?: This was the very first Metallica album I had ever listened to, and I still think it's their best work. Must listen to tracks for new listeners are Creeping Death, Ride the Lightning, Fight Fire With Fire, Fade to Black, and of course, For Whom the Bell Tolls. Call of Ktulu, Escape, and Trapped Under Ice are all best listened to after the aforementioned A+ tracks.

Guitar Hero: Metallica Demo Impressions:

The four songs featured in the newly released demo are "Seek and Destroy", "Sad But True" (both by Metallica), along with Stone Cold Crazy (Queen), and no Excuses (Alice in Chains). I've only played them all on expert guitar, and found them all to be fun. I love what they've done with the menus, and it seems that Neversoft has learned from the mistakes that they made with Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. I found it weird to see the older version of Hetfield singing Seek and Destroy, and Kirk's motion capture looks like it didn't come out that well, but then again, I've never been much of a mo-cap fan. It always looks like shit to me.
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gmanall

I do not like that group.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

Ride The Lightning is one of my favorites, even if Master of Puppets still claims the almighty throne for me. Still, Call of Ktulu is an A+ track, at least in my books. It is great in S&M, following Ecstasy of Gold.

Ahh, I love Metallica. I can't wait for GH: M, though I won't get it for a few weeks due to a shortage in cash at the moment :(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

I've had 20 years of Metallica.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DBoy

GH Metallica is on my list for this month.  I haven't tried out the demo but I really like the band, so this is a no-brainer for me.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By RedSox8933
RHCPfan24 said:
"Ride The Lightning is one of my favorites, even if Master of Puppets still claims the almighty throne for me. Still, Call of Ktulu is an A+ track, at least in my books. It is great in S&M, following Ecstasy of Gold. Ahh, I love Metallica. I can't wait for GH: M, though I won't get it for a few weeks due to a shortage in cash at the moment :("
Yeah, Master of Puppets is still the best.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

I played the demo today. I had originally planned on getting it, but because I never got GH: World Tour, I've decided to let it pass.

SimpsonFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SimpsonFan

Kill em' all Pwns! No GH Metallica Demo on PSN!

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

You nailed the kill em all review. I hated it when I first listened to it but now I think it is some of their best. I just wish Motorbreath and Metal Militia were on the game