Atheist leaning towards antitheism

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By MideonNViscera

My religious view is that the only time it's even relevant is when you die, and then it's too late.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#153  Edited By Jayzilla

I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God. I believe He died on the cross for my sins and was resurrected on the third day.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Atheist, leaning towards antitheism at times.

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By spudtastic

Bible thumper, but mindful of others' liberty.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Moreau_MD

@GuyIncognito said:

@Sporkbane said:

PRAISE THE SUN!

\o/

WE ARE NOT WORTHY

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Moreau_MD

@TheGorilla said:

I'm an atheist, but I really don't care. A parental deity is crazy, but I don't really care if a god exists or not. Such a pointless idea. I honestly have trouble understanding why anyone really cares. I grew up completely outside of any kind of judeo-christian religion so they all seem as crazy as a bunch of adults believing in Santa Claus.

If you want to believe in a god go ahead.

WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW? NOTHING, 'CAUSE YOU'RE A DAMN DIRTY APE!!!

For the record I'm _____

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#158  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@GuyIncognito said:

@Gamer_152 said:

@GuyIncognito: but you can't take the questions of whether voodoo or Zeus exist to represent all queries possible about theism and religion.

Why not? My point is that a person's worldview dictates what is either absurd or worthy of consideration. Ancient Greeks thought questions about Zeus and his family were as important as your questions about afterlife. Likewise, other people are free to judge your questions to be equally trivial.

BTW, you replying to my comment awarded me the "Touched by God" trophy. It must be a sign from Joe Pesci.

Why not? Because we know that would be deliberately limiting our perspective of the world, why would you be wilfully narrow-minded and incorrect about the issue? Of course whether these questions are worthy of consideration is a matter of personal perspective, but I find it very unlikely that someone who really thought about it genuinely wouldn't care about whether they were immortal or whether the most powerful being in the universe loved them, or at least the answers to some of these questions. Many of these kinds of questions seem very relevant to not just me as an individual, but people on a wider scale. In fact the Ancient Greeks are the perfect example of a people who were concerned with major theological and philosophical questions, and not just the details of the world staring them in the face. If I knew more about Joe Pesci this is where a Joe Pesci joke would go.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Moreau_MD

@Eviternal said:

I'm agnostic.

It's nice to see tolerance and understanding in here.

Followed simply because of Cash.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#160  Edited By zor

apathetic for the most part. I think they might be a god or gods, but I don't really care. It has always seem to me that people either praise or curse it/them depending on how their day is going.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By MrKlorox

My view on religion is that it's not a subject to talk about in public. Someone's 'faith' should be more private and personal even than one's sex life. Those zealots who flaunt their mystic beliefs around like everybody else's is wrong are total sluts.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#162  Edited By jorbear

Ex-Mormon, now Atheist.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#163  Edited By GuyIncognito
Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Athiest. I really hate people trying to get others to believe in god. Its stupidity at its finest, its cool you have an imaginary friend but I dont need to know about it.

Avatar image for scottydoentknow
Scottydoentknow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#165  Edited By Scottydoentknow

I pray to Joe Pesci- George Carlin

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#166  Edited By ProfessorEss

Infinitism.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#167  Edited By sopranosfan

People at the church I used to attend were pretty much against all of my favorite things so as of right now I don't really know. Plus they were really racist and intolerant of other religions which I always found hypocritical considering that is almost exactly the opposite of what I got out of the Bible.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#168  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't consider atheism to be a religion, but the sake of clarity, I'll call myself an atheist (Ex-Christian) here. I also have slight anti-theist tendencies.

cool_guy543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By cool_guy543

@sopranosfan said:

People at the church I used to attend were pretty much against all of my favorite things so as of right now I don't really know. Plus they were really racist and intolerant of other religions which I always found hypocritical considering that is almost exactly the opposite of what I got out of the Bible.

I'm actually surprised by that. We live in a modern era, and it seems that Christians (at least where I grew up) were more accepting of science and progress, and, dare I say, liberal ideology. Might I ask where (as in country, not too specific) you live, and what kind of church it was?

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#170  Edited By TheGorilla

@Moreau_MD said:

WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW? NOTHING, 'CAUSE YOU'RE A DAMN DIRTY APE!!!

HOW DO YOU KNOW I'M NOT JESUS-APE?!?

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#171  Edited By sopranosfan

@cool_guy543 said:

@sopranosfan said:

I'm actually surprised by that. We live in a modern era, and it seems that Christians (at least where I grew up) were more accepting of science and progress, and, dare I say, liberal ideology. Might I ask where (as in country, not too specific) you live, and what kind of church it was?

I live in the south in the USA and it is a Baptist church. I don't think most churches in the area are as bad as the one I attended and I am sure not everybody that went there held those views but it was entirely too many that did.

cool_guy543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By cool_guy543

@sopranosfan said:

@cool_guy543 said:

@sopranosfan said:

I live in the south in the USA and it is a Baptist church. I don't think most churches in the area are as bad as the one I attended and I am sure not everybody that went there held those views but it was entirely too many that did.

I'm from Canada, and the church I attended held extremely liberal views regarding acceptance, creation, and views about Biblical events (mostly in an allegorical snese). In a way it actually ENCOURAGED its members to be agnostic to the matter, a fact that I enjoyed about it. But, yeah, there are a lot of churches, unfortunately, who favor suspending logic and discriminating against people who don't "fit their mold."

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By ArcLyte

none. religion is a tool to control the masses, if you think otherwise then its already too late for you.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#174  Edited By tranquilchaos

Gnostic Atheist

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#175  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

A smanger.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#176  Edited By SMTDante89

Christian.

Melamed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Melamed

orthodox christian here.

unexpected, is it?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By TruthTellah

@tranquilchaos said:

Gnostic Atheist

Wait, do you mean Agnostic Atheist? Because Gnostic is most definitely a theist religion where knowledge is God. It has all sorts of beliefs built around it. Though maybe you have a different interpretation of Gnosticism? :o

J0PALACE0K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By J0PALACE0K

Somewhere in between Agnostic and Atheist I guess. I would like there to be something greater than what it in front of us but when I try to think logically or look at science etc. that pretty much just stamps on any hope I have.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Benny

Non-believer here. I don't mind when people have a faith so long as they don't let it control them or make irrational decisions to accommodate it.

At the same time though... I think the world would be a better place without it. People still looked out for each other and knew adultery was wrong and murder was wrong and what have you, thousands of years BC. It's been the root of many bloody wars that we could surely have done without.

Greed has hamstrung our growth as a species, but religion has played a major part in preventing peace.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#181  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I pray to Joe Pesci. He seems like a man who can get things done.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By spartanlolz92

christian.

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Rehtayne

I personally believe that religion is an institution of man and will forever be marred by the flaws of our nature. Faith, however, is the personal relationship between one and their chosen deity. Thus I choose to be a man of faith, and not of religion.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Karl_Boss

I dislike people who have strong views on both ends of the spectrum.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By TentPole

@doublezeroduck said:

@TentPole: http://www.mormonhandbook.com/home/anachronisms.html

Just throwing it out there. Hope you check the facts.

I have studied my religion far more than you ever have. And I have done so from every angle.

How dare you come here and attack my beliefs. I will believe what I will and I don't need you linking me to sites that shit on what I hold sacred. You don't believe it. That's fine but you don't need to through it in my face You stupid, ignorant, fucking cunt.

Edit: Maybe I am being a bit too harsh. But it was seriously a dick move.

cool_guy543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By cool_guy543

@TruthTellah said:

@tranquilchaos said:

Gnostic Atheist

Wait, do you mean Agnostic Atheist? Because Gnostic is most definitely a theist religion where knowledge is God. It has all sorts of beliefs built around it. Though maybe you have a different interpretation of Gnosticism? :o

Gnosticism means he is 100% sure there is no god. Agnostic means that one is uncertain, hence the "a," meaning not, gnostic meaning certain, so naturally gnostic means the opposite of that.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By clumsyninja1

Always feel bad for the atheist...sad people

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atheist

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#189  Edited By TheHBK

Jedi Knight.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clumsyninja1 said:

Always feel bad for the atheist...sad people

Woe unto us, boohoo

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#191  Edited By Stepside

Raised Catholic, epiphany ensued, became atheist when I was 16 (I'm 32 now).

And I absolutely adore speaking with people of all faiths about their beliefs. I don't think it's a such a personal issue that it can't be spoken about or debated. As long as religious folks aren't preachy and atheists aren't ignorant douchebags, it can be done.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By amir90
@cool_guy543

@TruthTellah said:

@tranquilchaos said:

Gnostic Atheist

Gnosticism means he is 100% sure there is no god. Agnostic means that one is uncertain, hence the "a," meaning not, gnostic meaning certain, so naturally gnostic means the opposite of that.

Gnos·tic (nŏs'tĭk)
adj.
gnostic Of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge.
Of or relating to Gnosticism.
n.
A believer in Gnosticism .
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By TruthTellah

@cool_guy543 said:

@TruthTellah said:

@tranquilchaos said:

Gnostic Atheist

Agnostic means to not know, and Gnostic means to know. Gnosticism is an early Christian cult seen in the Dead Sea Scrolls which believed that knowledge itself is God. They professed that Jesus only claimed to be one with God because he was the first to ever attain all knowledge. So, a Gnostic pursues knowledge as the ultimate way to move closer to God.

Under no circumstances has "Gnostic" ever meant that someone doesn't believe in God. Its basis is in worshipping "Gnosis", or knowledge. Agnostic isn't the opposite of Gnosticism; it's just a descriptive term for the idea that it is not clear whether a higher power exists or not. When someone is a "Gnostic", they are professing to an archaic belief that has few adherents today. The videogame Xenogears famously used Gnostic gospel as the basis of its story and thematic elements. El Shaddai last year also made references to it by latching onto supposed "lost" gospels for inspiring the surreal story.

Thus, I think it makes a lot more sense that he meant "Agnostic" Atheist, as many have been saying that. In other words, a lack of certainty that there is no god, but leaning on the side of there not being one.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By amir90

I am an atheist, I find it highly improbable that any sort of god(s) has ever existed, nor do i wish that the Yahweh (abrahmic god ) presented in the bible,Quran or the Toran exist. What a tyrant way to rule and force people to live :p

Any reasonable person is at least agnostic with the issue, be it a theist or an atheist. And in philosophy, we can truly never disprove god (but then again, we do not have the burden of proof) yet, when I study these holy. Books and see truly see them for what they are, books made to control people, keep them in line.

Yet, I do not hate on religious people (unless they use their religion to justify a law or same weak hypothetical discussion (homosexual, abortion etc.)).
Because most of them (imo) are religious because of the community around them, and for many, it gives them comfort and guideline (thou very few know their religion as good as they should ).
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By TruthTellah

@Stepside said:

I don't think it's a such a personal issue that it can't be spoken about or debated. As long as religious folks aren't preachy and atheists aren't ignorant douchebags, it can be done.

Amen to that, good sir.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By amir90
@NoelVeiga

I'm an atheist that gets really pissed when somebody says that atheists "believe in nothing" but does not bother religious people to death with atheist evangelization anymore (i.e. not a atheist Jehova's witness).

But for the record, atheism is the active belief that there is no god, which is usually paired with humanist beliefs. There is still a morality system attached to it about removing religious alienation and realizing humanity's potential for good. What people are thinking of when they think of this is either agnosticism or nihilism. Not quite the same thing.

Sry, that is wrong.
Atheism has no dogma, there nothing that says atheist seek to do what best for the human condition, especially regarding morals, which there are none standards to speak. It is the lack of belief, not the belief that there is no god, that doesn't make any sense.

You could argue that humanist seek such a goal, but then again, aren't we all a little bit of a humanis if you think about it?
amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By amir90
@TruthTellah

@cool_guy543 said:

@TruthTellah said:

@tranquilchaos said:

Gnostic Atheist

Agnostic means to not know, and Gnostic means to know. Gnosticism is an early Christian cult seen in the Dead Sea Scrolls which believed that knowledge itself is God. They professed that Jesus only claimed to be one with God because he was the first to ever attain all knowledge. So, a Gnostic pursues knowledge as the ultimate way to move closer to God.

Under no circumstances has "Gnostic" ever meant that someone doesn't believe in God. Its basis is in worshipping "Gnosis", or knowledge. Agnostic isn't the opposite of Gnosticism; it's just a descriptive term for the idea that it is not clear whether a higher power exists or not. When someone is a "Gnostic", they are professing to an archaic belief that has few adherents today. The videogame Xenogears famously used Gnostic gospel as the basis of its story and thematic elements. El Shaddai last year also made references to it by latching onto supposed "lost" gospels for inspiring the surreal story.

Thus, I think it makes a lot more sense that he meant "Agnostic" Atheist, as many have been saying that. In other words, a lack of certainty that there is no god, but leaning on the side of there not being one.

But couldn't he say: I am an atheist gnostic Which means that not only does he not believe in a god(s), he makes the claim that there is none at all.
Which is basically my view :p

Sorry for the bad grammar people, writing on a mobile phone is a bitch..
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By TruthTellah

@amir90 said:

@NoelVeiga

I'm an atheist that gets really pissed when somebody says that atheists "believe in nothing" but does not bother religious people to death with atheist evangelization anymore (i.e. not a atheist Jehova's witness).

But for the record, atheism is the active belief that there is no god, which is usually paired with humanist beliefs. There is still a morality system attached to it about removing religious alienation and realizing humanity's potential for good. What people are thinking of when they think of this is either agnosticism or nihilism. Not quite the same thing.

Sry, that is wrong. Atheism has no dogma, there nothing that says atheist seek to do what best for the human condition, especially regarding morals, which there are none standards to speak. It is the lack of belief, not the belief that there is no god, that doesn't make any sense. You could argue that humanist seek such a goal, but then again, aren't we all a little bit of a humanis if you think about it?

I think he's talking about Neo Atheism which does have ideas on morality and an active interest in removing religion from society. People like Christopher Hitchens(who died recently) promote this form of atheism.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By TruthTellah

@amir90 said:

@TruthTellah But couldn't he say: I am an atheist gnostic Which means that not only does he not believe in a god(s), he makes the claim that there is none at all. Which is basically my view :p Sorry for the bad grammar people, writing on a mobile phone is a bitch..

That wouldn't really make sense, as Gnostic is still inherently a term for a theist belief. You couldn't both say you don't believe in gods and that knowledge itself is god. ;)

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By falling_fast

The religion my beliefs fall closest to would be Pantheism. I don't believe in following the dictates of any organized religion word for word, though. Religion should be purely on your own terms.