• 178 results
WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By WMWA

Just got done marathoning the Song of Ice and Fire series. So good. Now, reading Stephen King's The Stand and Rant by Chuck Palahniuk

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By SpencerTucksen

War and Peace

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By coaxmetal

Memories of Ice: Book Three of the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By Aronman789

Right now I'm finishing up A Dance With Dragons, re-reading the Eisenhorn Trilogy, and taking a break from the Gaunt's Ghosts series for a while.

Might dive into the Horus Heresy series and Ciaphas Cain series or try out the Ravenor Trilogy soon.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By SlightConfuse

reading the new steve king book11/22/63 then going to start book 12 of the wheel of time

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By _Zombie_

Black Blood, by John Meaney. Though I suspect I accidentally skipped a book, as he wrote one called 'Bone Song', and the beginning of Black Blood is a bit vague regarding some details.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#107  Edited By damswedon

Comics: INVASION! and Flesh: The Dino Files

Manga: Spice and Wolf

As for real books I read Mass Effect: Retribution just before New years.

I've just got started on The Infernal City: An Elder Scrolls Novel, which isn't all that good so far. But what do you expect from a book based on the Elder Scrolls games.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By demonbear

Just finished A Game of Thrones, next up will be W40k : Space Wolf omnibus 1 and then its Stephen King's 11/22/63

Shimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By Shimmy

I'm currently splitting my attention between Redburn by Herman Melville and The Man with the Getaway Face by Richard Stark.

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By TheWyotee93

Factotum by D.M. Cornish. Old english, steampunk fantasy? Sign me up

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#111  Edited By shinboy630

Currently reading A Storm of Swords. I'm going to start the Hobbit after that cause I never read it and I don't want the upcoming movies to be the first time I experience the story.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#112  Edited By Tofin

Reading Game of Thrones. I have a deal with my girlfriend; I read GoT, and she watches Community.

No, it did not occur to me to ask for sex. Yes, I am an idiot.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#113  Edited By Cube

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo. Then, onto Side-tracked by Henning Mankell and a boatload of other books.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By chrissedoff

Flannery O'Connor The Complete Stories

tictocbehemoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By tictocbehemoth

I recently started reading Blindsight by Peter Watts. If anyone is looking for a hard science fiction novel to read you can get it on his website for free. He also has a donation thing set up there.

pixieface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By pixieface

The Way of Kings by Branden Sanderson. About halfway through right now. I got that, Elantris, and Mistborn for Christmas, so that makes me pretty happy!

Just finished The Hunger Games and Ready Player One this week to see what all the fuss was about. I can see the appeal, but I didn't enjoy them. To THG's credit, I didn't actually know that was supposed to be a young adult novel until I was finished. I'm not saying young adult novels are bad - I just don't like most of them on the market. RPO was fun for the 80s trivia but I found the characters and the plot lacking in quality.

Mjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#117  Edited By Mjolnir

After hearing Will speak so highly of it, I got Ready Player One. I love it. The weird thing is that my girlfriend started reading it when I wasn't, and now she's further in than I am; she doesn't even like games!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By mandude
No Caption Provided

I could read this a million times over. Best. Book. Ever.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By jetsetwillie

going through the complete Sherlock Holmes stories, just finished the hound of the baskervilles which was fantastic.

thinking of reading Jobs biography next though

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By Stepside
No Caption Provided

Amazing read.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#121  Edited By StarvingGamer
No Caption Provided
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#122  Edited By danielkempster

For Christmas, I got all seven books in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, so I'm reading those. Right now I'm about two thirds of the way through The Gunslinger and it's pretty cool. I really like the setting and atmosphere (which King himself describes in the foreword as 'Lord of the Rings meets The Good, the Bad & the Ugly'), but I'm not too struck with the seemingly one-dimensional characters. I've just read the first encounter with the Man in Black and he came across like a bad comic book villain. Then again, the series is seven books long, so I'm hoping for a little more depth the further into it I get.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By sjosz

Currently, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

Making more of an effort this year to read more literature. Next up after this one are Nineteen Eighty Four and Crime And Punishment.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By mandude

@dankempster: Ah, I have fond memories of that book. I think he intentionally left the characters as one dimensional in the first book. I don't think he knew how serious the series would be at that point, but the second book really picks it all up.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#125  Edited By danielkempster

@mandude: Funnily enough, King pretty much says exactly that in the foreword of The Gunslinger! If the other six books take the world introduced in this one and populate it with some great characters, then I could see myself really enjoying them.

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#126  Edited By Mistzero

"The Magicians" by Lev Grossman

It's like Narnia and Harry Potter books made love and had a kid that is more mature then them. Basically it for adults not kids.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#127  Edited By citizenkane

I am finishing Utopia. After it, I am going back to finish Dante's The Inferno.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By xMP44x

@Sjosz said:

Currently, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Making more of an effort this year to read more literature. Next up after this one are Nineteen Eighty Four and Crime And Punishment.

I had to read Of Mice and Men in English Literature last year, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Nineteen Eighty-Four is one of the books I most want to read, but still haven't gotten around to, and Crime and Punishment seems like it would be a lot of fun to read even if it was just to say you'd read it.

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By JokerFrown
No Caption Provided

Friggen awesome book.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#130  Edited By super2j

I am right in the middle of "Fire upon the Deep" by Vernor Venge but I stopped like 6 months ago. Not that I dont like it, but i haven't been able to get myself to pick it back up. On the other hand, for a little while now i have been trying to find something to read.... and i am feeling for Will Smith's recommendation of ready play one... i guess all i lack is something to push me along.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By sjosz

@xMP44x: Yeah. I enrolled in first year English literature and language course at university when I finished high school but did not find my place in an academic environment. Still fascinated with good literature though, and having a couple friends and co-workers who are knowledgeable in good books helps make me want to read more. There's a lot more books that they've already recommended I read, but I went and got these 3 first.

Aside from wanting to be able to understand where people come from when they reference well known literature in conversation, literature is awesome as a hobby. Also Lennie is so endearing. (only halfway through the book so far)

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By xMP44x

@Sjosz said:

Yeah. I enrolled in first year English literature and language course at university when I finished high school but did not find my place in an academic environment. Still fascinated with good literature though, and having a couple friends and co-workers who are knowledgeable in good books helps make me want to read more. There's a lot more books that they've already recommended I read, but I went and got these 3 first.

Aside from wanting to be able to understand where people come from when they reference well known literature in conversation, literature is awesome as a hobby. Also Lennie is so endearing. (only halfway through the book so far)

I'm not at university so you've probably done a deeper analysis of English Literature than I have (I'm only in high school), but it is definitely good to have friends who read if you're interested in reading more yourself. Being able to reference literature makes you feel amazing when you've got the right moment for it, since you look like some kind of genius. As for the book, I can definitely see what you mean about Lennie being endearing, and one of the acts will give you a little more information about him. Strangely I rather liked Carlson as a character: he seems to sum up the majority of working men during the era the story is set.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By sjosz

@xMP44x: Not so much interested in sounding smart, I just want to be able to participate in conversation covering literature. Still, so far it's enjoyable. I've heard especially Crime And Punishment is not an easy read so we'll see what happens.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By xMP44x

@Sjosz said:

@xMP44x: Not so much interested in sounding smart, I just want to be able to participate in conversation covering literature. Still, so far it's enjoyable. I've heard especially Crime And Punishment is not an easy read so we'll see what happens.

It does give a sort of inner satisfaction, though. I rarely consider sounding smart when I say things, but as long as literature appears in conversation there's plenty of reasons to read books. :P

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to read all the time but after years of desktop publishing I'm tired of reading anything longer than a news headline or forum post. I bought the Steve Job book and lost interest in reading it after a hundred pages. It's not that the book is bad. I look at pages of manuscript all day everyday.

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Demmetje

I just started in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, thoroughly enjoying it so far. Bought all five book in the trilogy, so that will keep me occupied for some time.

Also I'm reading the play Hamlet.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Drakoji

I'm reading Grant Morrison's Supergods. It's a weird mix of autobiography, weird new age believes and a chronicle of how comic book grew and changes with years and how they changed our world and culture.

It's awesome if only because Grant Morrison is weird modern age shaman who took a bit too much drugs but still have a head on his shoulder.

And I started this morning A Game of Thrones, but I find it hard to read it when I know all the twists from the TV show.

The temptation to go directly to A Clash of Kings is pretty hardcore.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#139  Edited By veektarius

@JokerFrown: Also reading this.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ABritishNerd

A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin

WileyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#141  Edited By WileyS

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By JauntyHat

Currently reading the third book in A Song of Fire and Ice and then planning on giving the series a rest until the sixth book comes out. Heard it takes a pretty steep dive in quality after the third book.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Thule

I'm currently reading Iain M. Banks' Consider Phlebas. It's the first book in Banks' Culture series.

You should check it out if you like good sci-fi.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#144  Edited By korolev

I am reading "The better angles of our Nature" by Steven Pinker. It's about the relative decline in violence during the 20th/21st Century. You might scoff at the notion that the 20th Century was "peaceful" - but in terms of the amount of wars waged, and the amount of violent deaths per capita over the course of the whole century, the 20th Century was actually more peaceful than almost any time in the past. People make a great deal over WWII: But did you know that the 30-years war in Europe killed as great a proportion of Europe's Population as WWII? Or did you know that Homicide rates in the US are at their lowest in 50 years and that the homicide rates in the US are, historically speaking, some of the lowest in the history of the human species?

It's a real eye-opener. It's backed by all the historical data you could ask for, and the conclusion is sound: We are getting more and more peaceful as a species. We're still violent, still horribly violent, but compared to the past we are far less likely to torture, enslave or murder each other today. It's really confirmed that human social progress is possible - even if it does take hundreds of years, we can make progress towards a more peaceful society. The book however also states that the gains we have made are not permanent and can be reversed so we should keep an eye open for that.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#145  Edited By hermes

Macbeth and House of Leaves...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#146  Edited By crusader8463

The 4th book in the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy series. I have the first four books in an omnibus that I read while at work when I get stuck on the dead shifts. Really haven't enjoyed a single one of the books thus far, and since everyone says the first two are the best I don't have much hope for this one. So far I'm not liking it ether.

After that I don't really have anything left to read. I got the last book in the Republic Commando series, but I don't want to read it because the series was supposed to keep going but the author quit because Lucas kept retconning all her work so I don't want to end the series in this cliff hanger. Plus I have read each one over such a long break in between that I feel like I need to start from the beginning to really remember all the details and plot twists, but that's like 4-5 books. I don't have the time for that.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#147  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@crusader8463: If you didn't like the first 3 Hitchhikers books, you might actually like the 4th one. It's a very different book. Personally I love all the Hitchhikers books, but the story and pacing and everything of So Long And Thanks For All The Fish is very different to the other books. I've definitely heard people who weren't super into the first few books found the 4th one to be by far their favourite.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

I started reading Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds. It has interesting setting and cool characters.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Vrikk

The first King Killer Chronicle by Patrick Worfuss, and text books.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#150  Edited By mosespippy

I got an android phone for xmas so I downloaded the kindle program and am going through various public domain stuff. I was looking up H.P. Lovecraft and ended up coming across The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood. Early 20th century horror is pretty good.