When did giantbomb get ad banners?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I was curious, when did giantbomb get ad banners on their site? I use firefox and have the AdBlocker Plus addon so i never knew the site had ad's becase that program completely blocked them from showing. I always wondered how this site could afford to stay active because i never seen an ad on the site. The only reason i found out was because the load image from desktop button doesn't work for some reason anymore and i had to use iexplorer to add them, and that's when i saw ad's for the Conan MMO. It blew my mind to be honest. Do ad's play before you watch videos too like on 1up.com? Are there other spots on the site loaded with ad's?

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Lies

Just banner stuff currently. Conan, ODST, and some game design university are running right now. There were some Watchmen ones when that came out, and some Gears ones back when that came out.

So technically ads first appeared when Gears came out, but there have been large periods with no ads. The Conan ones have only started running in the past month or so.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

A while ago. Thats how non-intrusive the ads on Giant Bomb are. Lets hope they remain like that. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60

A long while ago.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

They have been around for a while now.  There were ads for the motion comic of Watchmen a few months ago and there have been a few here and there

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By tekmojo

I wonder how long these threads will continue to exist.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By iam3green

i only noticed that like a month ago. they are not bad ads either. i just wish that it stays like this. some sites just have horrible ads on the site. there are like 4 ads a page. one on top, one on the right, one on the bottom, and one on the left side.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crusader8463

ya from what i saw it didn't look all that bad, and some how made the site feel more game like some how. Thanks all, i was just curious. Like i said i always wondered how they made any money from this site lol.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

There have been ads around Giant Bomb since Gears of War 2.  It wasn't until more recently that I've noticed them appearing with far greater frequency, but hey, it helps pay the bills, right?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

I try and click on the banners. I haven't given any monies to Giantbomb, so any click will do...

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Damien
@Claude said:
" I try and click on the banners. I haven't given any monies to Giantbomb, so any click will do... "
Samesies. I think all should do the same.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Seedofpower

They have been on here for a few months. I know they started putting them up a week or so after E3. I'm happy they are there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no problem with ads, as long as they don't do an IGN (and many other sites...) and split their reviews into multiple pages to get more ad views.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crixaliz

Probably a dumb question but... where are the ad banners?
I haven't seen any and I don't use an ad blocker

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
@Crixaliz: 
The very top of the page, and to the left/right is where they where when i checked. They seem to spawn randomly as well, they are not always in the same spot.