• 0 results
#1 Edited by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I had a friend ask me this, and i don't really understand why, so why?

#2 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

Female as in actually human females or anime females? The former is usually to attract people to their page; the latter is because they like the character?

#3 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

Because some people are female?  (not me)

#4 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Girls are hot.

#5 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Girls are hot. "
or yeah, like that...
#6 Posted by Dr_VonBoogie (348 posts) -

Don't you get annoy when people do that!

#7 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

Attention.

#8 Edited by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

" Female as in actually human females or anime females? The former is usually to attract people to their page; the latter is because they like the character? "

both, what's the point? i don't understand what could be so awesome about it, seems more like a burden to me, since you have to keep telling people you're a guy
#9 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1107 posts) -

Well, some of my alts in WoW are female.  I figured is I have spend a bunch of hours leveling, I might as well do it looking at some pixilated female badunkadunk.

#10 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Girls are hot. "
^^
#11 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Female as in actually human females or anime females? The former is usually to attract people to their page; the latter is because they like the character? "
both, like what's the point? like, i don't understand what could be so awesome about it, seems more like a burden to me, since you have to keep telling people you're a guy "
I've had females as my avatar many times in the past and never had to tell people I was male.
#12 Posted by NathHaw (2760 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @Aronman789 said:
" @natetodamax said:
both, like what's the point? like, i don't understand what could be so awesome about it, seems more like a burden to me, since you have to keep telling people you're a guy "
I've had females as my avatar many times in the past and never had to tell people I was male. "
Well, I'd think the "nate" part helped with that.
#13 Posted by Stray (117 posts) -

Meh. I dunno, girls are awesome. A lot of the time I use Varga Girls as avatars because they're awesome. Personally, I never look at a girl avatar and assume its a girl, nor does it bother me either way.

#14 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
@DrDarkStryfe said:
" Well, some of my alts in WoW are female.  I figured is I have spend a bunch of hours leveling, I might as well do it looking at some pixilated female badunkadunk. "
Actually that was my guess as to why guys role girls on games, maybe its because i don't see what's sexy about pixels, but i never really quite understood it, always felt weird to me, since i'm more a role player and well i'm not female
#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Attention. "
#16 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Girls are hot. "
This pretty much covers all the bases.
#17 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -
@Bloviator: Perhaps. 

@JJOR64 said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" Attention. "
"
That's a bit of a generalization.
#18 Posted by Hamst3r (4481 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:

" I had a friend ask me this, and i don't really understand why, so why? "

I'm a dude. 
This is my Xbox Live avatar:
It was chosen because I see it every time I start up the 360, so I'd rather see a polygonal lady that than a polygonal dude.
I also always pick a female character in a game when given the choice, because they're much more appealing to look at.

I more or less see the avatar as a representation of the Xbox and as you know all electronics are female. A GPS system with a male voice is broken.
#19 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

A wise man once said that if he were to play a game for hours on end and stare at the ass of their avatar, let it be a women's ass.

#20 Edited by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -

I use a female avatar because I share the 360 with my sister. I'm not really into that sorta thing so I let he do what she wants.

#21 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" A wise man once said that if he were to play a game for hours on end and stare at the ass of their avatar, let it be a women's ass. "
#22 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Cause they are bad ass. mine consistently being the best.

#23 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -

Ladies look better than dudes.  And if you think I'm a chick because my avatar is Metis, I don't really care.

#24 Posted by EvilMuffin (133 posts) -

I don't know why they do but when I play games, I usually choose female if possible... but I never find myself staring at my character's asses whether it be female or male. Male characters, in my opinion, look better in most armor-types than female characters... but I still go female if given the choice as I bond with the character better that way.

#25 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Cause konata is mine MINE! YOU CANT TAKE HER!

#26 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Girls are hot. "
Precisely.
#27 Posted by TheBeaneMachine (34 posts) -
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" @Meteora said:
" A wise man once said that if he were to play a game for hours on end and stare at the ass of their avatar, let it be a women's ass. "
"
Ah yes, a great lesson from the Book of Dave and one I live by.
#28 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -

Guys want to look good tpo and what looks better than a hot lady?

#29 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -
@Hamst3r said:
" @Aronman789 said:

" I had a friend ask me this, and i don't really understand why, so why? "

I'm a dude. 
This is my Xbox Live avatar:
It was chosen because I see it every time I start up the 360, so I'd rather see a polygonal lady that than a polygonal dude.I also always pick a female character in a game when given the choice, because they're much more appealing to look at.  I more or less see the avatar as a representation of the Xbox and as you know all electronics are female. A GPS system with a male voice is broken. "
id hit it
#30 Posted by Ujio (565 posts) -
@Onno10 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Girls are hot. "
or yeah, like that... "
I like vagina
#31 Posted by fentonalpha (819 posts) -

In a 3rd person game, Mr Garnet Lee put it best when he said something to the effect of, "If I'm gonna have to stare at a butt for 8 hours plus well it may as well be a woman's"  Or something like that.

#32 Posted by m1k3 (1327 posts) -

i follow Dave Snider's rule of creating avatar's

#33 Posted by PenguinDust (12493 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
" @DrDarkStryfe said:
" Well, some of my alts in WoW are female.  I figured is I have spend a bunch of hours leveling, I might as well do it looking at some pixilated female badunkadunk. "
Actually that was my guess as to why guys role girls on games, maybe its because i don't see what's sexy about pixels, but i never really quite understood it, always felt weird to me, since i'm more a role player and well i'm not female "
Are you saying that because you are a "roll player" you can't conceptualize the roll of a female?  Are you certain you are "roll playing" and not just being yourself?  In other words, "this is me with super powers" and "this is me with magic" and finally, "this is me if I was a space captain". 

As for why guys choose female avatars, it's probably because they think they are cute or sexy.  It doesn't mean that the person behind the avatar is a woman, too.  In fact, by now you should have learned that most of the time, the opposite is true.  Don't ever play an MMO if you believe that every avatar represents the sex of the person directing it.  Personally, I'd prefer to look at someone's hot female avatar than something ugly, mundane or over represented. 
#34 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

I play a lot of RPGs, and I'd rather stare at a girl's ass rather than a guy's.

#35 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@HandsomeDead:
This dude just ended this thread with three very simple, and very true words.
#36 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I think a lot of it comes backs to Dave Snider's principles of MMO character creation. If you're going to be staring at someone for a ridiculous number of hours it might as well be a lady.

#37 Posted by TMThomsen (2071 posts) -
Liquid Prince comes to mind. 

I don't know. I guess it's just an obsession with the opposite sex.
#38 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -
@m1k3 said:
" i follow Dave Snider's rule of creating avatar's "
yep! this
#39 Posted by Drakhir (410 posts) -

Why not?

#40 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -

Because people can have a girl avatar, if they choose to.

#41 Posted by onimonkii (2434 posts) -

same reason you use whatever you use man, it's something you like or think looks good.

#42 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

I don't see why not. If I had to put a reason, I'd probably go with what everyone else is saying, the "staring at a girl instead of a guy for hours at a time" reason.

#43 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

I really dislike having a female as my avatar because I'm not a girl.

#44 Posted by dudeglove (7758 posts) -

I've never understood the point of male users using female avatars to be honest. It's just lame.

#45 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Dr_VonBoogie said:
" Don't you get annoy when people do that! "
you know it !
#46 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

EEEWWWW GIRLZ! 

#47 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I really dislike having a female as my avatar because I'm not a girl. "
Umm, change it?  :)
#48 Edited by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

How can you guys play games if all you do is stare at your character's ass? 

#49 Edited by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I decided to play a female priest in WoW, and some warlock says he'll give me gold to take off my clothes :/ So now, I'd much rather play as a Male character cause thats just ridiculous. In games like Mass effect and Dragon Age, I tend to make at least one of both.

#50 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
@PenguinDust: The thing about guys that role play females in MMOs is that most of the roleplay are romance situations with other people who are guys, which is not only misleading, but fucking creepy. There are other ways of roleplaying a women that isn't creepy, but most people are the ones with the romance. Not to mention the fact that, no matter how hard you try, you can't really understand what they, or anyone else for that matter, would think at a random situation, as everybody thinks differently, and you can't just generalize it into "this is what a women would be thinking right now" type of mindset like you could "i'm going to be the biggest asshole" or "i'm going to be the strong military style leader and if someone doesn't follow rules i'm going to fuck them up", so yes you could just say i'm being myself with super powers or whatever, but that's just the way i do it, and actually most RPers do this too

But what i'm getting from this is that its because they think its sexy pretty much, my question is answered i guess