Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By gingertastic_10

I had the princess from Fat Princess as my PSN avatar and three people thought I was a girl :/ But I only had it cause I love the game.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By warxsnake

I never understood why some people expect me to follow rules while playing my games. 

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Aronman789 said:

" @PenguinDust: The thing about guys that role play females in MMOs is that most of the roleplay are romance situations with other people who are guys, which is not only misleading, but fucking creepy. There are other ways of roleplaying a women that isn't creepy, but most people are the ones with the romance. Not to mention the fact that, no matter how hard you try, you can't really understand what they, or anyone else for that matter, would think at a random situation, as everybody thinks differently, and you can't just generalize it into "this is what a women would be thinking right now" type of mindset like you could "i'm going to be the biggest asshole" or "i'm going to be the strong military style leader and if someone doesn't follow rules i'm going to fuck them up", so yes you could just say i'm being myself with super powers or whatever, but that's just the way i do it, and actually most RPers do this too But what i'm getting from this is that its because they think its sexy pretty much, my question is answered i guess "

Well. I've roleplayed multiple female characters, and when I do such I generally tend to -avoid- anything romantic with someone else's character. Though whatever happens, happens.

Anyway, what you're doing is really just inserting yourself into another setting. Which...I dunno. That's not really roleplaying in my opinion. That's just wish fulfillment. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ryanwho

Guys can be attention whores too.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Aronman789
@SuperSecretAgenda: well i guess i'm a wish fulfiller then
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56  Edited By KaosAngel

...we only did it for this week for the Quest.  Go figure everyone who has a female avatar ended up finishing the Quest.  :\

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By JoeyRavn
@warxsnake said:
" I never understood why some people expect me to follow rules while playing my games.  "
Yup. You're not a girl, but it's not like you're a priest, magician, car, dragon slayer, town mayor o space marine either, but people don't react to that. If you are playing in a fictional setting, what you play does not need to be justified based on the reality of your life. And if you use a certain image in an Internet forum as your avatar, it's just a representation of a certain aspect of your personality, nothing else. Making a deal about whether you are really a girl or just a man with a girl avatar is as pointless as complaining that you can't cast Blizzard or drive a Warthog in real life :S
HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By HellBrendy
@Aronman789 said:
" I had a friend ask me this, and i don't really understand why, so why? "
Because they want to. Why do you use your avatar?
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By habster3
@natetodamax said:
"Female as in actually human females or anime females? The former is usually to attract people to their page; the latter is because they like the character? "
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By Ghostiet
@Aronman789 said:

" @natetodamax said:

" Female as in actually human females or anime females? The former is usually to attract people to their page; the latter is because they like the character? "

both, what's the point? i don't understand what could be so awesome about it, seems more like a burden to me, since you have to keep telling people you're a guy "
My avatar is a singing, sexless yellow blob. I never had to explain to anyone I'm not one.
Clouise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Clouise

Haha mine is mysterious fox, and I'm not a mysterious fox. However, I do get a lot of requests for magic leaves! 

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Boobz.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By one_2nd

Because girls are nice. 

Dantekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64  Edited By Dantekiller

because one day she is going to be real and fall in love with me and we are going to get married and have kids and its going to be the best day of my life and we will get a dog and our kids will have super powers and i will be able to fly and stuff lol hhahahahahahahahahahahahah i cant stop this shit is stupid lol

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#65  Edited By Atlas

Pretty sure I'm not a Big Daddy...

Also, wow, sexual identity really has been the theme of the day on GB.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#66  Edited By Hailinel
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I really dislike having a female as my avatar because I'm not a girl. "
The irony.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Animasta

contrary to what you might believe, I do not own a tuxedo

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Well, if you mean in game, Dudes are always ugly as sin. Seriously, being gay kinda sucks for the same reason being a total sexist pig is great as a gamer. It's all big tits and round asses. So usually if I have a choice, I do the most attractive version to me. And I don't mean sexually, just which ever one looks better in general. I also like variety in my characters, so if I'm makin' a character, I'll probably make a lot, if the game is good. So some of em are bound to be ladies.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@JJWeatherman said: 

" Umm, change it?  :) "

@Hailinel said:

" The irony. "

Couldn't change it because of KaosAngel, but screw that! 

To add to the subject, I don't dislike playing as female protagonists, but I'm always going to choose a male if I'm given the choice.  I don't have any reason whatsoever to why I would want to choose a female as my avatar/character (outside of fighting games or games where there are pre-set characters with different abilities) instead of a male.  I'm male, so I find it only logical that I would represent myself that way.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By KaosAngel
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Couldn't change it because of KaosAngel, but screw that! "
It's all good, we proved our point.  Being a girl or pretending to be a girl on a gaming forum or game is the best thing you can do...far more benefits than buying the Collector's Edition or whatnot. 

Which is why, from now on...I shall play a female in the new Star Wars MMO.  I want free shit.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By nukesniper

In WoW I had a female human character that people made fun of me for, but that was because my main was a human male and I wanted to have characters that looked a little different. 

On the other hand, I had a friend who only had female characters, and at that, mostly night elves and shit like that. We all know why that was...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Hailinel
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @JJWeatherman said: 

" Umm, change it?  :) "

@Hailinel said:

" The irony. "

Couldn't change it because of KaosAngel, but screw that! 

To add to the subject, I don't dislike playing as female protagonists, but I'm always going to choose a male if I'm given the choice.  I don't have any reason whatsoever to why I would want to choose a female as my avatar/character (outside of fighting games or games where there are pre-set characters with different abilities) instead of a male.  I'm male, so I find it only logical that I would represent myself that way. "
I believe you're a Persona fan.  Did  you not try playing as the female protagonist in P3P?
thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By thehexeditor

My avatar is not female. In fact it is male. You could say it is me

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Hailinel said:

" I believe you're a Persona fan.  Did  you not try playing as the female protagonist in P3P? "

I did not play P3P, but I would probably have taken the female route in the game.  That's an exception to the rule, however, because I had already played that game once and it's just for the minor differences to the story that a protagonist of a different gender would bring.  If Persona 3 for the PS2 had initially given the player the choice of a male or a female route, I would definitely have chosen male, no questions asked. 

@KaosAngel said: 

" It's all good, we proved our point.  Being a girl or pretending to be a girl on a gaming forum or game is the best thing you can do...far more benefits than buying the Collector's Edition or whatnot.  Which is why, from now on...I shall play a female in the new Star Wars MMO.  I want free shit. "

Ah, I see you changed yours as well.  Yeah, pretending to be a female has its benefits on the Internet, but I really didn't feel right when doing it.  I shall never do that again.    
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Turambar
@Aronman789:  I bet you're not someone wearing a combat vest, goggles, and have a gun in hand.  So what business do you have using that avatar?
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@onimonkii said:
" same reason you use whatever you use man, it's something you like or think looks good. "
Or because a man is someone I can identify with better... because I'm a man?
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By LiquidPrince

Because I like the girl in my avatar.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SpiralStairs

My dog is a female and I have her as my avatar because she's cute.

You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By You
@SpiralStairs said:
" My dog is a female and I have her as my avatar because she's cute. "
Cutest doggy ever!  :3
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#80  Edited By frankxiv
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @onimonkii said:
" same reason you use whatever you use man, it's something you like or think looks good. "
Or because a man is someone I can identify with better... because I'm a man? "
but you're using some swords, and you're not a sword are you? you don't need to identify with a little image next to your name on forums dude. 

if you mean in games, who cares. i don't roleplay, man or woman, i just think it's creepy and weird. it also depends on race sometimes, like in wow i like the way troll and orc males look, but blood elf females, and i don't like tauren or undead at all. to me it's not about pretending to be or identifying with a character, it's just whatever i think looks cool.
Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

@Aronman789 said:
" @natetodamax said:

" Female as in actually human females or anime females? The former is usually to attract people to their page; the latter is because they like the character? "

both, what's the point? i don't understand what could be so awesome about it, seems more like a burden to me, since you have to keep telling people you're a guy "

You don't have to tell anyone anything.  I don't care what people think of me.  If we're ever on voice chat they can usually tell.

Personally, I find myself more emotionally engaged by a female avatar than a male one, most of the time.  I also agree with the statement that the women tend to be more aesthetically pleasing than the men are.  

If it doesn't make a difference in the gameplay, there's not much point in picking one over the other besides personal preference.  Besides, if you're just going to be yourself, why are you playing a role playing game?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@onimonkii said:
" if you mean in games, who cares. i don't roleplay, man or woman, i just think it's creepy and weird. it also depends on race sometimes, like in wow i like the way troll and orc males look, but blood elf females, and i don't like tauren or undead at all. to me it's not about pretending to be or identifying with a character, it's just whatever i think looks cool. "
Yeah, I'm not talking about my avatar.  I don't think it's creepy or weird to roleplay as a character and I always want to play as myself in an RPG that has those customization options.  I project myself into that world.  Maybe you don't care if you choose a female or male and just care about the aesthetics, but I care about the story behind my character and what he brings to the world.  Even when it's not an RPG where I play as myself, I'll still choose a male because I care about a guy's backstory and history in that world more than a woman's.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@DragonBloodthirsty said:

" Besides, if you're just going to be yourself, why are you playing a role playing game? "

What kind of stupid question is that?  No seriously, it's stupid.  In real life, you can't be a space marine or live in a post apocalyptic world.  You can't be a dude in medieval times wielding magic.  Some people like to think about how they—themselves—would be like in that world.  You're playing the role of yourself in a setting that is far from real life.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By KaosAngel

Question...if I was a girl, which I am at heart, would five of you guys recommend my Shank review, and five of you disapprove of it?

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By CaptainTryHard
@DrDarkStryfe said:
" Well, some of my alts in WoW are female.  I figured is I have spend a bunch of hours leveling, I might as well do it looking at some pixilated female badunkadunk. "
I guess this guy answered it right on the head. If your gonna spend time playing WoW than your obviously not gonna be spending time with any women in real life. I still find it weird. It's always the fat nerdy guys behind those avatars too!
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#86  Edited By Cirdain

Mine is a Panda... and, he will attack...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By frankxiv
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @onimonkii said:

" if you mean in games, who cares. i don't roleplay, man or woman, i just think it's creepy and weird. it also depends on race sometimes, like in wow i like the way troll and orc males look, but blood elf females, and i don't like tauren or undead at all. to me it's not about pretending to be or identifying with a character, it's just whatever i think looks cool. "
Yeah, I'm not talking about my avatar.  I don't think it's creepy or weird to roleplay as a character and I always want to play as myself in an RPG that has those customization options.  I project myself into that world.  Maybe you don't care if you choose a female or male and just care about the aesthetics, but I care about the story behind my character and what he brings to the world.  Even when it's not an RPG where I play as myself, I'll still choose a male because I care about a guy's backstory and history in that world more than a woman's. "
and that's fine, i just don't get what's so mysterious about "people will do whatever they feel like". and it's only from one side as well, you never see people talking about like "what's up with guys who use male avatars?" or females who play as males. i played as a car in 3d dot game heroes, and that was pretty cool. i don't know if it was a male or female car, it was red.  

@KaosAngel said: 

" Question...if I was a girl, which I am at heart, would five of you guys recommend my Shank review, and five of you disapprove of it? "

i recommended your review already anyways. it seemed accurate based on what i'd seen of the game, and having played games liek it before.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Hailinel
Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Goldanas

Because it doesn't matter.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SpiralStairs
@You:  Thanks :3
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91  Edited By tourgen

Some people project themselves into the game character and see themselves as the thing playing the game.  I think this is a little unhealthy but it would explain why they think playing as an "avatar" of the opposite sex as strange.

I play games, even RPGs, and see the character as just that, a character in a story.  I have some control over it but I don't project myself into the character or see myself as that character.  I'm not Dom plugging aliens in the head with a rifle.  No, I'm controlling this character in a story who is puncturing skulls with high-velocity slugs.  I don't limit myself to male characters.  Why would I?  Female characters are interesting too and I'd like to hear their stories as well.  Since I'm not fantasizing about being that character as I play the game I don't have a weird identity crisis about my sex or my role.  I'm the person playing the game.  The character I'm controlling is the thing in the story.

MMOs and multiplayer are a different thing.  I stick to male characters to avoid confusing other players.  It's just the polite thing to do.   Also those games seem to be all about loosing yourself in the avatar and closing identifying yourself with the in-game avatar.  Which is weird for me and it's part of the reason I don't play MMOs anymore.

Gevlik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Gevlik

I'll play a female alt only if it adds something different to the game on a second or third playthrough (Fallout1-2, mass effect to an small degree), or if it's my 3rd or 4th alt on WoW.  (female tauren are funny). 

And as far as female avatars on the web/games, my rule is simple.  All people on the internet are male until proven female in a court of law. 

I actually have a friend who used his girlfriend to fake his char being female in WoW.  Even had her randomly msg guild leaders in game from her facebook.  He got obscene amounts of free shit from the guild for no other reason than they thought she was a hot girl.  (She is rediculously hot though...)

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By frankxiv
@tourgen said:
wordz
i agree, but about the mmo part, i don't really see what the difference is. like i don't see a real reason why gender matters, it's not like you're getting ripped off if you recruit a female healer for your party and it turns out she's male in real life. do you feel ripped off? do real females heal better or something? i can understand the "your avatar is what people associate with you" thing, and why you wouldn't want to be known as a female if you're male, but what about alts and main alts and all that business? if you have one of everything what the hell does that make you besides an addict? do you even have a gender to someone else at that point?
ShadowZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ShadowZ

I use female avatars all the time (currently not) usually its anime female avatars.  I mean I could understand some girl like Tomb Raider for your avatar and all that and there is nothing wrong with it.  Avatars just express what your into. 

And especially with anime it is most likely you will have a girl avatar.

EvilMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By EvilMuffin
@ShadowZ:   Ciel Phantomhive is pretty bad ass... although I prefer Sebastian. ;)

In 99% of cases, I assume everyone is male unless they state otherwise.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By iam3green

to get some attention. a lot of times i just assume that it's a guy posting with female avatar. guys like to get attention. 

back in the days at gamespot i had a boxxy avatar. the people who didn't know who boxxy was would message me saying like "your hot", "who is that girl?", "is your avatar you?". i would have to message them back with link to boxxy videos.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By davidwitten22
@FluxWaveZ said:
Even when it's not an RPG where I play as myself, I'll still choose a male because I care about a guy's backstory and history in that world more than a woman's. "
Sexist.
Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Videogames

It reinforces the users anonymity even further, and it is devious as well.

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By jos1ah

Cause they're emo teenagers and deep down they ARE girls, they just need to get the surgery.
iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By iKANNIBAL

I havn't played as the female role in any Bioware game yet, nor have i played as the female role in any other RPG where i could choose lol.