Why do people still self-sensor "fuck"?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Suicrat

We're at Giant Bomb now, we're unfettered! We can say 'fuck' all we want, as long as we don't spam it!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Because they are fucking stupid?

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Black_Rose

Some people are used to other forums where you can't curse, others just don't like cursing...

Only my guess.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Suicrat

They don't like cursing, but they'll say 'f**k'? What is the psychological power held in the letters 'u' and 'c'?

I guess this is more directed at people who actually omit parts of the words 'fuck' and 'shit'

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz
Suicrat said:
"We're at Giant Bomb now, we're unfettered! We can say 'fuck' all we want, as long as we don't spam it!"
Just because you can swear doesn't mean you should or need to use it all the time.

And as rosebud mentioned, some folks are used to forums not allowing swearing or perhaps they don't like to use the word fully.
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HazBazz

I thought this was quite funny

No Caption Provided

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Megalon

Well myself, I refrain from using it for the most part. Makes the times I do use it much more awesome. I also tend to find it more funny on tv shows and stuff when it's bleeped for some reason, maybe that's why I'm not big into it.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By _Phara0h_

I like cursing and I have censored myself but in retrospect what is the difference between f*ck and fuck, it's still pronounced fuck. Even your brain will see it as fuck.
And children who know about fuck will see fuck, and that is every one that is on the internet. I wouldn't let my kid on the internet without him knowing what fuck is.
So your right I will not censor myself any more.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By thebeast
  1. People try to be polite - where an expletive is used to emphasise a sentence, users tend to err on the side of caution and let those who want to read the word 'fill in the blanks' whereas others can skim over it.
  2. Many campuses/workplaces outright block pages with profanity - it tends to be nice to partially censor the words if you need to use them at all.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Suicrat

Hey, I'm not saying people are bad for omitting the letters 'u' and 'c' (in my opinion they're under-rated letters, but that's another story), I was just curious as to why. Not trying to change the (forum) world, or anything

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Suicrat
TheBeast said:
"
  1. People try to be polite - where an expletive is used to emphasise a sentence, users tend to err on the side of caution and let those who want to read the word 'fill in the blanks' whereas others can skim over it.
  2. Many campuses/workplaces outright block pages with profanity - it tends to be nice to partially censor the words if you need to use them at all.
"
Doesn't that make all of GB NSFW (or NSFCollege campuses) pretty much though?
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By singular

I would say out of habit. Effin' yeah.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Because people, particularly Americans, are very childish when regarding swearing.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Megalon
HandsomeDead said:
"Because people, particularly Americans, are very childish when regarding swearing."
In what way? I see more children swearing than adults, haha. (been on xbox live lately?)
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead
Megalon said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Because people, particularly Americans, are very childish when regarding swearing."
In what way? I see more children swearing than adults, haha. (been on xbox live lately?)
"
Exactly. Because it's never really on American TV and films often get bumped up ratings when they use too much cursing, it's still a big taboo ao the kids think they're being clever by swearing every other word on the Xbox.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

Because there is a section at the bottom of the front page that shows the top forum discussions...so we are courteous enough to usually not use cussing in the titles.  As for in the actual threads, a lot of newer users don't know that they can cuss without getting auto-banned...so give it a break, eh?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I love giantbomb because of the language freedom in the forums. This is a huge plus.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Megalon
HandsomeDead said:
"Megalon said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"
Exactly. Because it's never really on American TV and films often get bumped up ratings when they use too much cursing, it's still a big taboo ao the kids think they're being clever by swearing every other word on the Xbox."
Ah I see. I thought you meant it was childish to self-sensor. I agree American attitudes towards language (and sex) in the media is pretty freaking strange. If it wasn't made to be such a big deal it would be a non-issue. 
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iamjohn

I agree that it's stupid, and I've thought it's stupid since I was in middle school and kids would get around cursing by saying "MAN, WHAT THE ____ IS YOUR PROBLEM?"  If all you can think of to say is a curse, just do it and don't beat around the bush. :\

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187
Megalon said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Megalon said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"
Exactly. Because it's never really on American TV and films often get bumped up ratings when they use too much cursing, it's still a big taboo ao the kids think they're being clever by swearing every other word on the Xbox."
Ah I see. I thought you meant it was childish to self-sensor. I agree American attitudes towards language (and sex) in the media is pretty freaking strange. If it wasn't made to be such a big deal it would be a non-issue. 
"
I think it's funny that a PG-13 movie can use the word "shit" as much as it wants, and as long as they show little violence and no blood...they can avoid an R rating.

Just like Battlefield Bad Company, on the video game end of things, was able to get a T rating...

...and yet Halo 3 gets an M rating.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn
jakob187 said:
"
...and yet Halo 3 gets an M rating.
"
I have my own theory on that, which is that Microsoft pretty much asked the ESRB for an M rating.  There's no reason that game shouldn't be a T, it's WAY less violent than the first two Halos, and even Uncharted.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Suicrat

This is more of a celebration of the lack of word-banning on Giant Bomb then a criticism of those who speak, think, and write differently than me. I have nothing against people who write 'f--k'' or 'f**k', I was just curious as to their reasoning

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

Probably because a lot of the people here came from GameSpot, and they have tight policies on ANY swearing. Some things just carry over, for whatever reason.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Suicrat

I came from Gamespot, and users who know me from that site know I got banned several time for censor dodging, and also that I say 'fuck' here all the time now.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
Suicrat said:
"I came from Gamespot, and users who know me from that site know I got banned several time for censor dodging, and also that I say 'fuck' here all the time now."
I came from GameSpot, too, and they're REALLY pissed that I don't censor all the way. Why censor myself? Is somebody going to be confused when they see ****? I'm sure we can all figure out they're saying shit. But enough of that.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Suicrat

Words convey meaning, emotions, thoughts, and ideas. If you're feeling angry enough about something to type a full swear word, don't hesitate. If not, don't bother with it.

That's my personal philosophy, I'm not saying anyone else has to adhere to it though.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By xMP44x

I never use the term, unless I'm seriously pissed off, or someone has said something to me that warrants such a response. Most forums don't allow the use of such words, so I try to keep the use to a minimum.