Why is gaming aimed at the straight populace?

• 65 results
BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By BearSpark

Don't read in to this. Just have questions about stuff in general. Could have easily asked what an ostrich does for fun.

But games and gaming seem to be aimed at the hetrosexual populace. Very few, if any, are aimed at the Homosexual community. Indeed, it's never mentioned. Don't know why I asked.

BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BearSpark

Don't read in to this. Just have questions about stuff in general. Could have easily asked what an ostrich does for fun.

But games and gaming seem to be aimed at the hetrosexual populace. Very few, if any, are aimed at the Homosexual community. Indeed, it's never mentioned. Don't know why I asked.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

They're the majority? Or perceived as such? I dunno. I will argue that at least some games are asexual, though.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Majority and profitable.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gargantuan

How exactly do you make a game aimed at the homosexual community?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Gargantuan said:

How exactly do you make a game aimed at the homosexual community?

MMO market even if it's much more towards anybody.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Philantrophy

Could anyone tell me the few games that are aimed at the homosexual community?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper

MONEY

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Why signal out games? What form of entertainment is not this way?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because heterosexual people are the largest demographic in the world after People Who Don't Like Being Killed.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Turambar
@BearSpark said:

There are more of us, hence more money.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

I don't know that sexual preference has anything to do with any games I play.

Why do all stories in general have more straight people?

Just for reference, though. It doesn't/shouldn't matter.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@ThePhantomnaut said:

Majority and profitable.

Probably 90% of any questions about "why is x marketed to y" can be answered by this. It's all about the Benjamins.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

Honestly, I don't care if the character I play as is heterosexual or homosexual, as long as it's a good game, I don't care.

People that say this is an issue, it's because they're making an issue of it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaLe

Are gay people into things that straight people aren't? Did I miss something? I didn't know there was dividing line there.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlexW00d

Only straight people like killing people, or sports, or fantasy, or space etc.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Probably 90% of any questions about "why is x marketed to y" can be answered by this. It's all about the Benjamins.

Interestingly enough, modern science has dredged up convincing evidence that Benjamin Franklin was indeed a homosexual.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Dagbiker

@BearSpark said:

I didnt know my games had a sexual preference. What about tthese games exactly do you think is "homosexual?"

BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BearSpark

Okay, maybe I worded that incorrectly. Reading back, it was a bit misleading. Not necessarily games aimed at a particualr sexual preference but like ComBREDX mentioned "stories in general." I get the whole money thing and that there are more straight than gay but 20-30 years ago gamers were referred to as nerds, people to be avoided and no luck with girls or boys. Nerds were ridiculed.

Don't know.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By JasonR86

@BearSpark:

How are games aimed at an orientation? What separates a 'heterosexual' game from a 'homosexual' game? I guess when the purpose of the game is to build a romantic relationship and there is no homosexual relationship there may be an issue. But that is sort of rare. Am I missing something?

EDIT:

@BearSpark said:

Okay, maybe I worded that incorrectly. Reading back, it was a bit misleading. Not necessarily games aimed at a particualr sexual preference but likeComBREDX mentioned "stories in general." I get the whole money thing and that there are more straight than gay but 20-30 years ago gamers were referred to as nerds, people to be avoided and no luck with girls or boys. Nerds were ridiculed.

Don't know.

The stories in games are directed at heterosexuals and not homosexuals? Fucking how? How does Halo, Metroid, Mario, Limbo, etc. aim themselves more at heterosexuals then homosexuals? Be specific because I would love to hear the rationale.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Interestingly enough, modern science has dredged up convincing evidence that Benjamin Franklin was indeed a homosexual.

You just blew my mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ravenlight

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I think bi or omnisexual closer. Either that or he was compensating like a motherfucker.
DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By DylanGW

What about Cho Aniki?

coreyTN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coreyTN

I wasn't aware that games actively targeted their audience based on sexuality? I mean there are plenty of examples of females being exploited based on sexuality in games (and other media of course), but the vast majority of human beings are heterosexual. Its like complaining why games don't offer some sort of incentive for the blind, or why more game antagonists aren't black.

In some cases, LGBT (lesbian gay bisexual transgender) themes are present in games, Rockstar's Bully, Mass Effect, Mario Brothers 2 (Birdo if you were wondering), Guilty Gear, Fable series, etc.

People tend to base their ideas on what they know. If my world view is based on what I am, a white male in his 30's, then I'm probably going to create a world view that is similar to something I can relate to. That's a blanket statement that isn't always the case but it generally holds true.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@DylanGW: I wish they still made that show. So funny.

@DiscoViking said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

You just blew my mind.

There is no actual evidence to support that claim. It's mostly just a bunch of revisionist history based on his support of von Steuben. There is sufficient evidence to claim that he had a number of STDs from his frequent gallivanting with ladies of ill-repute however.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By inkerman

Number of people 'off put' by homosexual protagonist is greater than the number of homosexuals would play a game based solely on homosexual protagonist is also a factor.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ravenlight

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@DylanGW: I wish they still made that show. So funny.

@DiscoViking said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

You just blew my mind.

There is no actual evidence to support that claim. It's mostly just a bunch of revisionist history based on his support of von Steuben. There is sufficient evidence to claim that he had a number of STDs from his frequent gallivanting with ladies of ill-repute however.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

You guys are too much. I just made that up to be funny.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Ravenlight: STOP TOYING WITH MY EMOTIONS!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Red

Considering the Call of Duty franchise has never had a female character, I guess it's pretty gay.

Actually, most games--especially first person ones--don't assign any sexuality to their main character. Yes, in pretty much all linear games, if there's a romance plotline, it's straight. but I actually can't think of that many games with romance plotlines. Usually the ones that do allow you to choose who you end up with, and most of those games offer some gay options. Compared to film, that's actually pretty impressive. I can't think of a single blockbuster movie starring a gay main character, or even a character with ambiguous sexuality.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

@JasonR86 said:

@BearSpark:

How are games aimed at an orientation? What separates a 'heterosexual' game from a 'homosexual' game? I guess when the purpose of the game is to build a romantic relationship and there is no homosexual relationship there may be an issue. But that is sort of rare. Am I missing something?

EDIT:

@BearSpark said:

Okay, maybe I worded that incorrectly. Reading back, it was a bit misleading. Not necessarily games aimed at a particualr sexual preference but likeComBREDX mentioned "stories in general." I get the whole money thing and that there are more straight than gay but 20-30 years ago gamers were referred to as nerds, people to be avoided and no luck with girls or boys. Nerds were ridiculed.

Don't know.

The stories in games are directed at heterosexuals and not homosexuals? Fucking how? How does Halo, Metroid, Mario, Limbo, etc. aim themselves more at heterosexuals then homosexuals? Be specific because I would love to hear the rationale.

Limbo was all about how that guy wanted to fuck his sister.

I think its just because the people who write the story's aren't gay. So when they are thinking of romance, or sex, they automatically think straight.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ravenlight

@Dagbiker said:

Wow, suddenly a lot of that game makes a lot more sense now.

@TheSouthernDandy said:

If it's any consolation, if Bioware made a game in the same time period as Assassin's Creed 3, Ben Franklin would probably be the male bisexual love interest.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Totori
@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

but he boned like every woman in Europe. So Bi-sexual if anything.
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Ravenlight said:

@Dagbiker said:

Wow, suddenly a lot of that game makes a lot more sense now.

@TheSouthernDandy said:

If it's any consolation, if Bioware made a game in the same time period as Assassin's Creed 3, Ben Franklin would probably be the male bisexual love interest.

Thats fine an all but who's the female love interest? I wanna get all up in dem corsets.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stryker1121

Maybe a game with an openly gay protagonist? Is that what you're looking for, OP?

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By renmckormack

@CaLe said:

Are gay people into things that straight people aren't? Did I miss something? I didn't know there was dividing line there.

Yea. at the OP. Your question implies that "games" (in broad generalization) do not appeal to homosexual people (broad generalization) can you expand on this. I'm pretty sure a bunch of people like Mario gay or straight.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenlight

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Ravenlight said:

Thats fine an all but who's the female love interest? I wanna get all up in dem corsets.

George Washington.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Ravenlight said:

George Washington.

ugh. Can you imagine how wooden his performance would be?

... I'll show myself out.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Ravenlight said:

George Washington.

BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BearSpark

You know what? I have no idea what the answer is, if, indeed there is an answer.

It's the first blog I've ever written and seems to be an online version of a drink down the pub with your mates. Only I don't have a beer and I can't decide whether to play BF3 or Lego Batman 2 DC Superheroes.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ravenlight

@TheSouthernDandy: @Oldirtybearon:

Followed :D

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jking47

Because there are way more heterosexuals than homosexuals. Kind of an easy answer.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Gaming ain't aimed at the straight populace.

If you think so, you're overthinking it, at least that's what I think.

I think.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By McGhee

When will gaming stop ignoring the foot fetishists out there? What about BDSM? Furries? I demand answers.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ

None of this makes any sense.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dfsvegas

There's more straight money than there is gay money. Same reason most games have a White male protagonist.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nottle

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Ravenlight said:

George Washington.

Is that a wooden teeth or wooden boner joke?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Karkarov

@BearSpark said:

Because they represent the overwhelming majority of the human population would be my guess.

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Ravenlight said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

You just blew my mind.

If he was a homosexual why did he write a book late in his life that included tips for younger guys on how to get laid by older women?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By AhmadMetallic

wat does this guy want

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers