• 93 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I noticed in recent months that every time I hear people use the word epic I cringe a little bit. I'm not even talking about hearing it being used by the cool kids calling things epic, annoying as that is, but even in the proper context. What made me notice this specifically was watching a couple interviews for games in the last few weeks where they said something along the lines of "an epic expansive world/story" or some such thing, but the word has been ruined for me. Every time I hear it I have that lady from the "Epic for the Win" ign video flash in my mind, and no matter how hard I try I just can't take anything that person is saying seriously past that point. 

It makes me feel like I'm one of Pavlov's dogs or something and that word is my bell chime.
  

  
 
So what are some words that have been ruined for you, and how did it happen?
#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11802 posts) -

Awesome is the other obvious one.

#3 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

omnomnom. 
 
A former friend had been saying that long before it even got grossly popular on the interwebs.  It bothered me then.  Then he became a total douche and it also became popular to say on the interwebs.  It bothered me even more after that.

#4 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

Once cable news uses or does a story on any word its time for the funeral. Same for jokes, like chuck norris for example.

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -
@BeachThunder: When did that become bad?
#6 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

That video is horrific, every time I watch it I feel my soul being crushed.

#7 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

The word ignorant. "You so ignorant" 
No I'm not. I'm fucking rude you ass hole moron. Ignorant means lacking of knowledge. Now go crawl back in your hole you fucking ignorant douche bag
#8 Posted by TheDukeofArgyll (102 posts) -

Any weird that gamers said 3 years ago that everyone says now.  Epic, fail, win pwn, noob and any variation.  We all knew there was a time and place for leet speak, now every ass hole on the internet and TV say it and it slowly kills me every time they do.  So lets hurry up and stop saying them and start saying something else so we can start the cycle over again.

#9 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -
@crusader8463: The best part is how uncomfortable everyone looks after she says it.
#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

"Love" is the first word to come to mind. its thrown left and right that it doesnt mean anything anymore 
 
 
@BeachThunder said:

" Awesome is the other obvious one. "
yep 
 
@Marcsman said:
" The word ignorant. "You so ignorant" No I'm not. I'm fucking rude you ass hole moron. Ignorant means lacking of knowledge. Now go crawl back in your hole you fucking ignorant douche bag "
double yep
#11 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

When I heard an anchor say "Epic Fail" on the local news I knew it was officially  time to start punching everyone that says.

#12 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -

Any internet meme words...ie EPIC WIN, or FULL OF FAIL..I never used them, but when these phrases leave photo jokes...BAH 
 
PWN is the worst....when people actually SAY "pone", I would like to smack them

#13 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

"Bad ass" 

#14 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

"Fail" bothers me the most.

#15 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -
@RaccoonusDoodus said:
" I still use "awesome", "uber", and "ftw", does that make me a bad person? "
Yep.
 
On topic, Cataclysm. Not that I care anything for WoW, but whenever anyone who is marginally into gaming has to use the word around friends, they ALWAYS say Catackalysm.
#16 Posted by AURON570 (1673 posts) -

Random and scoops. 
 
A commentator once was trying way too hard to be cool and he would say something like "scoopage" but it really sounded like "poopage"... Yeah... I have trouble ordering ice cream these days.

#17 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@crusader8463: Oh god, classic video. A few lady friends of mine (and by that I mean "girls who I have been cool with in the past") use "fail" and "win" a lot which is super fucking annoying. Updating their status to say "Just got a cute blouse at Forever 21. WIN!" makes you cringe and want to end the pain immediately. 
 
My roommates (all girls) sometimes use my lingo (duder, awesome, for serious, etc) but that's more in a mocking, funny way, so I'm ok with that.
#18 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@crusader8463: Remarkable. "Epic" was the first thing I thought when I saw the topic title. 
 
THAT WAS EPIC LOL 
  
@Vonocourt said:
" "Fail" bothers me the most. "

This also annoys me, but not as much as 'epic'. 

@AURON570 said:
" scoops."
... what?
#19 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Had not seen that video before. I hate you.
 
Agreed sick of hearing fail,win,epic,owned anything like that. Oh and how about "the cake is a lie" whenever someone makes a portal joke, god dammit!

#20 Posted by AURON570 (1673 posts) -
@MysteriousBob:  fighting game slang for Throws/Grabs
#21 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

When people say "That was so Legit"
 
Fuck man! You're not even using it correctly.

#22 Edited by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Americans have ruined the word 'awesome'. Awesome is meant to be a very very rare word you use for when there is no other word to do your sense of awe justice. You're supposed to use the word 'awesome' when you're standing in the middle of a volcanic caldera in Ethiopia or standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon or stepping foot on the surface of Mars, not when you got a sweet headshot in Black Ops. 
 
Eddie Izzard sums it up: 
   

#23 Posted by Lavapotamus (199 posts) -

"legit" was tolerable the first dozen times I heard it, but it's by far the worst thing anyone could ever say around me at this point. I can't logically explain it, I just hate how it sounds. I don't understand what's wrong with saying "legitimate".

#24 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

I feel like theoretically a lot of words should have been ruined for me by now, and yet they haven't been.

Moderator
#25 Posted by PS3RG (424 posts) -

epic, fail, pwn(ed), own(ed), mint, literally.

#26 Posted by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

believe, I keep thinking of belieb.

#27 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

No words have been ruined for me. Nothing bothers me. Admitting otherwise would mean the internet won.

#28 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, the sound of it is something quite atrocious.

#29 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

Fail. It's just more internet slang that should never be said in real life, but this term is used most frequently.
 
Fail Blog is the only place where I really accept the use of the word "fail" anymore.

#30 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Everyone who says that awesome is overused, is an idiot.

#31 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" Awesome is the other obvious one. "
Yeah this.
#32 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

I absolutely hate "epic" now because of, y'know... idiots.
"Win" and "fail" are just abominations. When people say them aloud... uhh. They weren't exactly ruined for me because I never liked them, though.

#33 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

fail, when people start saying it outside of video games it is time to stop saying them. in general people shouldn't say words that have been saying it online.

#34 Posted by JoeyIA (662 posts) -

I hate when people say "actually" for no good reason/at the beginning of every sentence. 

#35 Posted by Burzmali (452 posts) -
@Deeveeus said:
"PWN is the worst....when people actually SAY "pone", I would like to smack them "
This. So much this.
#36 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I'm 15, so I hear a lot of the biggest bullshit stuff I've ever heard in my life. For example:
 
'Skeen' (Meaning 'OK', but just is meant to sound more don. Some people also say 'Sheen' because they think it is cooler, but...what)
'Bono' (Means 'Bumhole' apparently, because it starts with the letter 'B')
'Plox' ('Please') 
'Cool beans' (So this one probably is heard of more, but why are beans cool)
'Harr low' (Pronounced 'R' and then 'lao' like Kung Lao from Mortal Kombat. It doesn't even mean anything, but everybody says it in irritatingly high-pitched voices)

#37 Posted by Getz (2995 posts) -

I'ma have to agree with Maddox on this one. Oceans, and tragic greek heroes are epic. That sandwich you just ate is not.

#38 Edited by SamSharp505 (210 posts) -
@TheDukeofArgyll said:

" Any weird that gamers said 3 years ago that everyone says now.  Epic, fail, win pwn, noob and any variation.  We all knew there was a time and place for leet speak, now every ass hole on the internet and TV say it and it slowly kills me every time they do.  So lets hurry up and stop saying them and start saying something else so we can start the cycle over again. "

Basically this, it really pisses me off hearing people say fail, own and shit like that, not because I'm being a little bitch like "It's my word" but because people are so desperate to say it 80% of the time somebody says "win" or "fail" it's pretty irrelevant or really forced...and it's like people think it's witty. 
Why the fuck are people using these words in general life, a sensitive subject with me it gets me wound up, just a good example of how most people are annoying as hell. 
Wankers.  
edit
On the video, just wow everytime I see it I still cringe, it sums it up really...just ahhhhhh     
hehe and a few guys in my year kept saying pwn (but pronouncing it not own, not even pown but poon...poon, poo...n 
I couldnt convince them you weren't really meant to say it :(
#39 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@dbz1995 said:
  'Cool beans' (So this one probably is heard of more, but why are beans cool)  
 
I heard that one before the internet crap...and I never thought of that...why ARE beans cool? Unless of course we're talkin Jumpin Beans 
#40 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" When people say "That was so Legit"  Fuck man! You're not even using it correctly. "
@Lavapotamus said:
" "legit" was tolerable the first dozen times I heard it, but it's by far the worst thing anyone could ever say around me at this point. I can't logically explain it, I just hate how it sounds. I don't understand what's wrong with saying "legitimate". "
This. 1000x this. The word I hate more than legit is "legitly". I feel like that's not an actual word, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
#41 Posted by SamSharp505 (210 posts) -
@davidwitten22 said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" When people say "That was so Legit"  Fuck man! You're not even using it correctly. "
@Lavapotamus said:
" "legit" was tolerable the first dozen times I heard it, but it's by far the worst thing anyone could ever say around me at this point. I can't logically explain it, I just hate how it sounds. I don't understand what's wrong with saying "legitimate". "
This. 1000x this. The word I hate more than legit is "legitly". I feel like that's not an actual word, but I'm too lazy to look it up. "
Pretty sure it's not a word...it would be 'legitimately'  
never heard that used, sounds fucking dumb
#42 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -
@Deeveeus said:

" @dbz1995 said:

  'Cool beans' (So this one probably is heard of more, but why are beans cool)  
 I heard that one before the internet crap...and I never thought of that...why ARE beans cool? Unless of course we're talkin Jumpin Beans  "
I always understood it as in reference to cold beans. Actual beans just taken from the can and eaten un-heated- my father prefers them like that. You can also say cool beans as in the beans are cool/room temperature, and taken out of context you get cool beans instead of just saying cool. Probably wrong on that, but that's how I always understood it.
#43 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" "Love" is the first word to come to mind. its thrown left and right that it doesnt mean anything anymore "
Same with "Sorry" 
 
@President_Barackbar said:
" On topic, Cataclysm. Not that I care anything for WoW, but whenever anyone who is marginally into gaming has to use the word around friends, they ALWAYS say Catackalysm. "
Maybe its because I never watched the video, but neither I nor anyone I know in rl who plays WoW says Catackalysm.  :(
#44 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:
" "Fail" bothers me the most. "
Same here. I loved using that term, but it got too wide-spread I'm kinda embarassed to use it anymore. Everybody's fail this, fail that. 
#45 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Oh yeah. 
"Overrated" 
Just a term used to soften the impact of saying something is bad. Its a word for wimps.

#46 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -
@Scooper said:

" Americans have ruined the word 'awesome'. Awesome is meant to be a very very rare word you use for when there is no other word to do your sense of awe justice. You're supposed to use the word 'awesome' when you're standing in the middle of a volcanic caldera in Ethiopia or standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon or stepping foot on the surface of Mars, not when you got a sweet headshot in Black Ops. 
 
Eddie Izzard sums it up: 
   

"
I was going to post that! :P
#47 Posted by yates (382 posts) -

I can never use the word epic in any context ever again without feeling like an utter dickhead.

#48 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Definitely Fail and Win when used alone to describe a situation or event.

#49 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Any meme when spoken is hideous.

#50 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" @Deeveeus said:

" @dbz1995 said:

  'Cool beans' (So this one probably is heard of more, but why are beans cool)  
 I heard that one before the internet crap...and I never thought of that...why ARE beans cool? Unless of course we're talkin Jumpin Beans  "
I always understood it as in reference to cold beans. Actual beans just taken from the can and eaten un-heated- my father prefers them like that. You can also say cool beans as in the beans are cool/room temperature, and taken out of context you get cool beans instead of just saying cool. Probably wrong on that, but that's how I always understood it. "
When I was in England, one of the girls working at the campus I stayed at said "cool beans" a ton, which I thought was funny. It wasn't annoying (she's a sweet, pretty, fun girl and I don't think I can hold anything against her) but I would always like to think that maybe the British finally discovered the genius of Hot Rod.