• 93 results
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I noticed in recent months that every time I hear people use the word epic I cringe a little bit. I'm not even talking about hearing it being used by the cool kids calling things epic, annoying as that is, but even in the proper context. What made me notice this specifically was watching a couple interviews for games in the last few weeks where they said something along the lines of "an epic expansive world/story" or some such thing, but the word has been ruined for me. Every time I hear it I have that lady from the "Epic for the Win" ign video flash in my mind, and no matter how hard I try I just can't take anything that person is saying seriously past that point. 

It makes me feel like I'm one of Pavlov's dogs or something and that word is my bell chime.

So what are some words that have been ruined for you, and how did it happen?
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Awesome is the other obvious one.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

omnomnom. 

A former friend had been saying that long before it even got grossly popular on the interwebs.  It bothered me then.  Then he became a total douche and it also became popular to say on the interwebs.  It bothered me even more after that.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By blueduck

Once cable news uses or does a story on any word its time for the funeral. Same for jokes, like chuck norris for example.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crusader8463
@BeachThunder: When did that become bad?
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ramone

That video is horrific, every time I watch it I feel my soul being crushed.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marcsman

The word ignorant. "You so ignorant" 
No I'm not. I'm fucking rude you ass hole moron. Ignorant means lacking of knowledge. Now go crawl back in your hole you fucking ignorant douche bag
Avatar image for thedukeofargyll
TheDukeofArgyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheDukeofArgyll

Any weird that gamers said 3 years ago that everyone says now.  Epic, fail, win pwn, noob and any variation.  We all knew there was a time and place for leet speak, now every ass hole on the internet and TV say it and it slowly kills me every time they do.  So lets hurry up and stop saying them and start saying something else so we can start the cycle over again.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@crusader8463: The best part is how uncomfortable everyone looks after she says it.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

"Love" is the first word to come to mind. its thrown left and right that it doesnt mean anything anymore 

@BeachThunder said:

" Awesome is the other obvious one. "
yep 

@Marcsman said:
" The word ignorant. "You so ignorant" No I'm not. I'm fucking rude you ass hole moron. Ignorant means lacking of knowledge. Now go crawl back in your hole you fucking ignorant douche bag "
double yep
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By hexx462

When I heard an anchor say "Epic Fail" on the local news I knew it was officially  time to start punching everyone that says.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Deeveeus

Any internet meme words...ie EPIC WIN, or FULL OF FAIL..I never used them, but when these phrases leave photo jokes...BAH 

PWN is the worst....when people actually SAY "pone", I would like to smack them

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By luce

"Bad ass" 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Vonocourt

"Fail" bothers me the most.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RaccoonusDoodus said:
" I still use "awesome", "uber", and "ftw", does that make me a bad person? "
Yep.

On topic, Cataclysm. Not that I care anything for WoW, but whenever anyone who is marginally into gaming has to use the word around friends, they ALWAYS say Catackalysm.
AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AURON570

Random and scoops. 

A commentator once was trying way too hard to be cool and he would say something like "scoopage" but it really sounded like "poopage"... Yeah... I have trouble ordering ice cream these days.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hot_Karl
@crusader8463: Oh god, classic video. A few lady friends of mine (and by that I mean "girls who I have been cool with in the past") use "fail" and "win" a lot which is super fucking annoying. Updating their status to say "Just got a cute blouse at Forever 21. WIN!" makes you cringe and want to end the pain immediately. 

My roommates (all girls) sometimes use my lingo (duder, awesome, for serious, etc) but that's more in a mocking, funny way, so I'm ok with that.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MysteriousBob
@crusader8463: Remarkable. "Epic" was the first thing I thought when I saw the topic title. 

THAT WAS EPIC LOL 

@Vonocourt said:
" "Fail" bothers me the most. "

This also annoys me, but not as much as 'epic'. 

@AURON570 said:
" scoops."
... what?
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By craigbo180

Had not seen that video before. I hate you.

Agreed sick of hearing fail,win,epic,owned anything like that. Oh and how about "the cake is a lie" whenever someone makes a portal joke, god dammit!

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AURON570
@MysteriousBob:  fighting game slang for Throws/Grabs
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMustacheHero

When people say "That was so Legit"

Fuck man! You're not even using it correctly.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper

Americans have ruined the word 'awesome'. Awesome is meant to be a very very rare word you use for when there is no other word to do your sense of awe justice. You're supposed to use the word 'awesome' when you're standing in the middle of a volcanic caldera in Ethiopia or standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon or stepping foot on the surface of Mars, not when you got a sweet headshot in Black Ops. 

Eddie Izzard sums it up: 

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lavapotamus

"legit" was tolerable the first dozen times I heard it, but it's by far the worst thing anyone could ever say around me at this point. I can't logically explain it, I just hate how it sounds. I don't understand what's wrong with saying "legitimate".

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I feel like theoretically a lot of words should have been ruined for me by now, and yet they haven't been.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PS3RG

epic, fail, pwn(ed), own(ed), mint, literally.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EdIsCool

believe, I keep thinking of belieb.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uniform

No words have been ruined for me. Nothing bothers me. Admitting otherwise would mean the internet won.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By stinky

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, the sound of it is something quite atrocious.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29  Edited By damnboyadvance

Fail. It's just more internet slang that should never be said in real life, but this term is used most frequently.

Fail Blog is the only place where I really accept the use of the word "fail" anymore.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Everyone who says that awesome is overused, is an idiot.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azteck
@BeachThunder said:
" Awesome is the other obvious one. "
Yeah this.
Avatar image for delicious_brains
Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Delicious_Brains

I absolutely hate "epic" now because of, y'know... idiots.
"Win" and "fail" are just abominations. When people say them aloud... uhh. They weren't exactly ruined for me because I never liked them, though.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green

fail, when people start saying it outside of video games it is time to stop saying them. in general people shouldn't say words that have been saying it online.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoeyIA

I hate when people say "actually" for no good reason/at the beginning of every sentence. 

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Burzmali
@Deeveeus said:
"PWN is the worst....when people actually SAY "pone", I would like to smack them "
This. So much this.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dbz1995

I'm 15, so I hear a lot of the biggest bullshit stuff I've ever heard in my life. For example:

'Skeen' (Meaning 'OK', but just is meant to sound more don. Some people also say 'Sheen' because they think it is cooler, but...what)
'Bono' (Means 'Bumhole' apparently, because it starts with the letter 'B')
'Plox' ('Please') 
'Cool beans' (So this one probably is heard of more, but why are beans cool)
'Harr low' (Pronounced 'R' and then 'lao' like Kung Lao from Mortal Kombat. It doesn't even mean anything, but everybody says it in irritatingly high-pitched voices)

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Getz

I'ma have to agree with Maddox on this one. Oceans, and tragic greek heroes are epic. That sandwich you just ate is not.

SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SamSharp505
@TheDukeofArgyll said:

" Any weird that gamers said 3 years ago that everyone says now.  Epic, fail, win pwn, noob and any variation.  We all knew there was a time and place for leet speak, now every ass hole on the internet and TV say it and it slowly kills me every time they do.  So lets hurry up and stop saying them and start saying something else so we can start the cycle over again. "

Basically this, it really pisses me off hearing people say fail, own and shit like that, not because I'm being a little bitch like "It's my word" but because people are so desperate to say it 80% of the time somebody says "win" or "fail" it's pretty irrelevant or really forced...and it's like people think it's witty. 
Why the fuck are people using these words in general life, a sensitive subject with me it gets me wound up, just a good example of how most people are annoying as hell. 
Wankers.  
edit
On the video, just wow everytime I see it I still cringe, it sums it up really...just ahhhhhh     
hehe and a few guys in my year kept saying pwn (but pronouncing it not own, not even pown but poon...poon, poo...n 
I couldnt convince them you weren't really meant to say it :(
Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Deeveeus
@dbz1995 said:

I heard that one before the internet crap...and I never thought of that...why ARE beans cool? Unless of course we're talkin Jumpin Beans 
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By davidwitten22
@TheMustacheHero said:
" When people say "That was so Legit"  Fuck man! You're not even using it correctly. "
@Lavapotamus said:
" "legit" was tolerable the first dozen times I heard it, but it's by far the worst thing anyone could ever say around me at this point. I can't logically explain it, I just hate how it sounds. I don't understand what's wrong with saying "legitimate". "
This. 1000x this. The word I hate more than legit is "legitly". I feel like that's not an actual word, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SamSharp505
@davidwitten22 said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" When people say "That was so Legit"  Fuck man! You're not even using it correctly. "
@Lavapotamus said:
" "legit" was tolerable the first dozen times I heard it, but it's by far the worst thing anyone could ever say around me at this point. I can't logically explain it, I just hate how it sounds. I don't understand what's wrong with saying "legitimate". "
This. 1000x this. The word I hate more than legit is "legitly". I feel like that's not an actual word, but I'm too lazy to look it up. "
Pretty sure it's not a word...it would be 'legitimately'  
never heard that used, sounds fucking dumb
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By crusader8463
@Deeveeus said:

" @dbz1995 said:

I heard that one before the internet crap...and I never thought of that...why ARE beans cool? Unless of course we're talkin Jumpin Beans  "
I always understood it as in reference to cold beans. Actual beans just taken from the can and eaten un-heated- my father prefers them like that. You can also say cool beans as in the beans are cool/room temperature, and taken out of context you get cool beans instead of just saying cool. Probably wrong on that, but that's how I always understood it.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By melcene
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" "Love" is the first word to come to mind. its thrown left and right that it doesnt mean anything anymore "
Same with "Sorry" 

@President_Barackbar said:
" On topic, Cataclysm. Not that I care anything for WoW, but whenever anyone who is marginally into gaming has to use the word around friends, they ALWAYS say Catackalysm. "
Maybe its because I never watched the video, but neither I nor anyone I know in rl who plays WoW says Catackalysm.  :(
eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By eldiax
@Vonocourt said:
" "Fail" bothers me the most. "
Same here. I loved using that term, but it got too wide-spread I'm kinda embarassed to use it anymore. Everybody's fail this, fail that. 
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MysteriousBob

Oh yeah. 
"Overrated" 
Just a term used to soften the impact of saying something is bad. Its a word for wimps.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gargantuan
@Scooper said:

" Americans have ruined the word 'awesome'. Awesome is meant to be a very very rare word you use for when there is no other word to do your sense of awe justice. You're supposed to use the word 'awesome' when you're standing in the middle of a volcanic caldera in Ethiopia or standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon or stepping foot on the surface of Mars, not when you got a sweet headshot in Black Ops. 

Eddie Izzard sums it up: 

"
I was going to post that! :P
yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By yates

I can never use the word epic in any context ever again without feeling like an utter dickhead.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Fail and Win when used alone to describe a situation or event.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HandsomeDead

Any meme when spoken is hideous.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hot_Karl
@crusader8463 said:
" @Deeveeus said:

" @dbz1995 said:

I heard that one before the internet crap...and I never thought of that...why ARE beans cool? Unless of course we're talkin Jumpin Beans  "
I always understood it as in reference to cold beans. Actual beans just taken from the can and eaten un-heated- my father prefers them like that. You can also say cool beans as in the beans are cool/room temperature, and taken out of context you get cool beans instead of just saying cool. Probably wrong on that, but that's how I always understood it. "
When I was in England, one of the girls working at the campus I stayed at said "cool beans" a ton, which I thought was funny. It wasn't annoying (she's a sweet, pretty, fun girl and I don't think I can hold anything against her) but I would always like to think that maybe the British finally discovered the genius of Hot Rod.