Have I Missed Something?

• 100 results
Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really don't see how you think he was surprised, mostly all your doing is proving his point, and I don't really know of anyone here you have to point out how you get the name of Xbone.

Maybe you can help someone with the word disappointment regardless of not having to buy something.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@connerthekewlkid said:

I really don't see how you think he was surprised, mostly all your doing is proving his point, and I don't really know of anyone here you have to point out how you get the name of Xbone.

Maybe you can help someone with the word disappointment regardless of not having to buy something.

dis·ap·point·ment

the act or an instance of disappointing: the state or emotion of being disappointed

does that help you?

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53  Edited By Levio

I didn't think these things were that big a deal either, but I expected the XB price to be lower than the PS4 to reflect the fact that Microsoft has more control over the console and its games market. The only way to justify getting an XB now is some serious graphical superiority.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Mikewarrior

@levio said:

I didn't think these things were that big a deal either, but I expected the XB price to be lower than the PS4 to reflect the fact that Microsoft has more control over the console and its games market. The only way to justify getting an XB now is some serious graphical superiority.

Not possible. It's said that the PS4 is the more powerful console (GPU/RAM) by a good amount.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

Kinect watching someone masturbate? They already know full well what you do in private, having a 24 hour poring camera into your living room ain't that much of a leap in the level of government surveillance and keeping tabs on its populace.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Darson

No matter what, the more people that fall apart over this, the more that Microsoft has to respond by changing what they can or matching Sony's hand. I know it's been said that they would have to break contracts and blah blah blah but the amount of fucked they would be if they don't would be astounding. Their only hope otherwise is that enough of the BroBox and casual players buy into it.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does't look good for the Xbone. I'm reading at Gaf that there will be more available PS4 systems for sale at launch over the Xbone.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Their policies effect enough people for their bullshit to matter. I'm always connected and rarely buy used games though.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@connerthekewlkid said:

@tourgen: Im still gonna see if that so called 25-30% is even used in the first years.

Why not? With the platforms being so similar this time around, I don't see PS4 ports being markedly more difficult than PC ports, and recent PC ports have definitely been able to take advantage of more powerful hardware. How big that difference would be I don't know, maybe it's something you'll see when you stand really close to a wall and compare the texture resolution. But I do think devs will be able to use it.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiplatforms are said to be better on the PS4. More power, simple tech design, no online DRM, no forced camera, no region locking, removable HDD, and cheaper price should make the PS4 the One. lol, see what I did there?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Actually according to the dumptruck, online pass is not an option on PS4 bc online is already behind a paywall.

Didn't a lot of 360 games use online passes, though?

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiplatforms are said to be better on the PS4. More power, simple tech design, no online DRM, no forced camera, no region locking, removable HDD, and cheaper price should make the PS4 the One. lol, see what I did there?

Xbox One, more like http://xboxdone.com

Keavy_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in 2006, I picked the Xbox 360 as my primary console because I felt like the direction Microsoft was going with the console was closest to my wants from a console. "PS3 has Blu-ray? I want a game machine, not an entertainment device!" "$599 media center versus $399 game machine? Easy choice."

The tide begain to change around 2010, as Microsoft seemed to move away from me and Sony moved towards me. Now, I feel like the two have reversed themselves.

What I'm saying is this: For me, it's not about the DRM, used games, etc. It's about who's giving me what I want. Back in February, Sony showed off a bunch of games, gave out some impressive information for a beast of a game-focused console, and then backed that up last night. Microsoft continued down the path they've been on since 2010 and confirmed they don't want me as a customer.

Between Wii U and PS4, I'll be just fine this console generation without the Xbox One. I could have found room in front of my TV for Xbox One, too, but I don't need a multimedia device I can control with my voice and gestures that can livestream TV while looking for a multiplayer match. I need a games machine that offers a rich and diverse library of titles.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingzeppelin said:

I wonder if microsoft foresaw people calling it the Xbone? They were probably like "well people might combine the two words and shorten xbox to just x and call it the Xbone." "Nah, people are not THAT childish."

ha ha, oh microsoft, they really have no grasp on the core market.

Do you really think this would excite a name change?

Nope

Cymatics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fruitcocoa: Yea, I think you missed the bandwagon of hate on something you don't really understand, so nothing of importance.

People don't really get this whole thing it seems. As a PC gamer, I am used to these things for close to 10 years or so now. They are seeing bad things where they aren't for some reason.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Honestly for me, it comes down to

1. PS4 is cheaper
  2. I own a Vita
  3. I trade games with friends

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I wonder if microsoft foresaw people calling it the Xbone? They were probably like "well people might combine the two words and shorten xbox to just x and call it the Xbone." "Nah, people are not THAT childish."

ha ha, oh microsoft, they really have no grasp on the core market.

Believe it or not these decisions are probably made by 10 people all in a room with 'group think' minds and egos running really high. I'm sure they sat there and wrote out Xbox, XBOX, xBOX and they various secondary words for weeks and NOT EVEN ONCE did anyone foreshorten XBOX to XB and write one. Then someone did write it, but they though, "Well it took us weeks to come up with that...and we all have Harvard MBAs...so nah this isn't a problem."

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it comes down to the IPs and none of MS do anything for me. They have a spotty track record in terms of IPs, where as Sony has kept creating new IPs that I've enjoyed.

See this is the exact opposite for me, I want to like the PS4 since it seems to be overall the better system but the games just don't do it for me. What new IPs were revealed that you are looking forward to? Maybe you can sway me.

t67443

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By t67443

As someone who has a family of gamers I am leaning to the Xbox One, my 4 year old likes playing Kinect games, my wife and I like watching videos on the couch till she goes to bed and we can occasionally play an XBLA game together as a family.

I personally have been burned way too much from getting games back from friends scratched to hell or just out right completely missing. I also have had this OCD thing of never buying something used unless absolutely necessary (like when I had to rebuy Assassin's Creed and Brothers in Arms because of friends.) For me the lack of used games is not going to hurt me very much, in fact I would rather get all of my games from download services such as Steam.

In the state I live in there has not been a time in the last 5 years where the power has not gone out. Worse weather we got lately has been a huge blizzard that shut down most the area. Internet is something that I would only worry about if I was flat broke which if that was the case the Xbox One would really upset me but that would be a back burner issue.

Also big brother stuff is not a concern for me as I already carry my cell phone with me at all times while it always being on which has 2 cameras on it as well as a microphone that can work pretty well.

All that being said I probably wont get an Xbox One right away. I'll probably get 2 3DS one for the wife and I to play pokemon together, then after that either upgrade mine or both of our computers so we might be able to play a game or 2 together on that (or just so she can play a Sims game that came out this past decade.) Or maybe I'll even get a PS3 before hand if Final Fantasy 10-2, Kingdom Hearts Remake and Wonderbook are all things shes really seeing value in.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By OurSin_360

If you missed something you can probably find it in the 20 page user agreement they'll have you sign before you 'lease' games for their console.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The XBONE selling out means literally nothing. Nothin' but scalpers and fools.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By mazik765

@nictel said:

Kinect watches you masturbate (FACT)

It better.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Even without the used games controversy, I still would pick up a PS4 simply because I prefer its exclusive games (I don't think I could go through a console generation missing out on Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch games), but the connect online stuff is what really scares me. My internet is down from time to time, and I don't want that to make me miss out on playing a single player game. I also can't see Microsoft continuing the servers for the XboxOne for much longer than 15 years or so, which then makes the entirety of my purchases just about worthless. And the PS4 is $100 cheaper.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@triple07: For me its not so much what they've shown its what they've done over the PS3 life cycle. Creating titles like Uncharted, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, InFamous, Little Big Planet, Journey, and Sly Cooper have been amazing game experiences. I like Halo and I enjoyed Gears and Fable but as time went on I saw less new franchises from their studios that I gravitated to and began to care less about their big three franchises. Sony is always trying something new with crazy games like Heavy Rain and Octodad(I know they aren't making this but they head lined it for PS4 at the conference). I don't get that same feeling from Microsoft all I've seen over the last few years are a heavy focus on kinect games with maybe one or two major games. So in many ways I'm trusting that Sony will deliver great titles based on what they've done this last cycle. Even if they don't I can look forward to the third party non exclusive titles like Watch Dogs, FF 15, KH 3, and whatever else the future holds.

As for games that were announced the only one that's exclusive that I'm excited for is Second Son, Sony really hasn't revealed much in terms of new exclusives. Which I'm not to surprised by I'm sure next E3 they'll be a whole new slew of titles. To give some context, I started the generation playing an old 360 my brother gave me but moved to PS3 because of titles like Ratchet and MGS. I enjoy games no matter the console I was both a Sega and Nintendo kid growing up, but the policies, attitude, vision, and track record of Sony pushes me to upgrading my PS3 to a PS4 whether at launch or soon after.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

So how the how I am going to play Too Human?. Thanks Xbox one.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@fruitcocoa: Hey man, if you're happy with your choice, no need to worry about why other people are complaining. Do what feels right, that's what I'm doing.

lamabraveheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By lamabraveheart

I feel like people are getting excited for the ps4 not necessarily because its a great console, but because it not imposing certain limitation the X1 is doing.

If we dont look at the price and drm, what really make the ps4 that great of a console? X1 has a better line up of exclusives (at this current time) and the kinect has a great amount of potential.

Yeah ps4 is more powerful but I doubt that will make a big difference other than first party games. And what is the PS4 doing that makes itself considered next-gen (graphics arent a big leap and you do better on PC)?

I am just trying to figure which console is really worth it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I also kinda think publishers are just going to double down even more on Online Pass with the PS4 now.

In Patrick's interview with Scott Rohde at one point Rohde states that there will be no online passes for PS4 games.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By JouselDelka

I'm a PC gamer who's only a console observer here, but freedom and clarity for me are sacred in this hobby. There is absolutely no room for vague restrictions and systems that force me to remain connected to clouds and servers that might go out sometime down the road. When they implement this crap, chances are they will abuse it down the road and shaft me as a consumer.

So if I were a console player, I would have scrapped Microsoft off my list the moment they started talking bullshit, and would've waited to see if Sony actually deliver on their (admittedly) amazing promises and future plans when the console arrives. So I'd already be anti-Microsoft because the nerve they have to walk all over my freedom means they're off the table.

Sadly Steam is robbing this freedom, clarity and simplicity from me on the PC. The fact that even if I go out and buy a disc, chances are the game will install through Steam and only run through it, is an extreme annoyance to me because it means that Steam will always be there to hinder me whenever my internet is down or whatever else, and that if Valve crashes, I have no assurance that the games I bought will remain in my possession. That's why before I buy a Steam game, I always pirate it first and make sure that the latter copy works. Then I go and buy it on Steam, knowing that I'll always have a backup that no internet/server bullshit can disallow me to play.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but the fact that you can't sell/share your games freely is only half the argument. For many people it's way more important that they can't buy used games as easily. Sure, you can share your games with 10 people, but if there's a game you want to play that noone has shared with you you have to buy it at full price. The fact that you currently can get cheaper games if you just wait a few weeks is just as important as having the possibility to get some money back by selling. And the combination of both is easily a big part of what's been bringing more people into gaming.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jdh5153

Nothing is wrong witht he Xbox One, it actually has the same DRM policy as the PS4 (it's up to the publishers), people are just nuts.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By nights

@t67443 said:

I personally have been burned way too much from getting games back from friends scratched to hell or just out right completely missing.

You must have some terrible friends.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@ares42 said:

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but the fact that you can't sell/share your games freely is only half the argument. For many people it's way more important that they can't buy used games as easily. Sure, you can share your games with 10 people, but if there's a game you want to play that noone has shared with you you have to buy it at full price. The fact that you currently can get cheaper games if you just wait a few weeks is just as important as having the possibility to get some money back by selling. And the combination of both is easily a big part of what's been bringing more people into gaming.

People will all ways trade games in no matter the system. I doubt any of the publishers will really push that no resell thing. Neither of the consoles BLOCK used games.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

A lot of interesting points in this article. Basically the Xbox One is starting the transition to an all digital future, therefore you have to change the licensing rules. It should be seen as a gift that you can actually gift a digital game after you play it, you can't do that on Steam. Also allowing ten "family (friend)" accounts access to your games is another huge thing.

They also hint that in the future there could be a digital rental service (so no waiting on discs from GameFly) and even a games service like Netflix for the Xbox One.

Every day I'm more and more excited for my Xbox One to arrive.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ProfessorEss

Here's what I've seem to have missed:

For the last two years (at least) the entire gaming press and a large portion of their followers have been on a rampage about what scumbags used-game buyers are and how they and Gamestop should die in a fire. We're ruining the industry and someone has to stop us!!

Now all of a sudden the entire gaming press is standing and applauding Sony's support of used games. What gives?

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By nights

@jdh5153 said:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

A lot of interesting points in this article. Basically the Xbox One is starting the transition to an all digital future, therefore you have to change the licensing rules. It should be seen as a gift that you can actually gift a digital game after you play it, you can't do that on Steam. Also allowing ten "family (friend)" accounts access to your games is another huge thing.

They also hint that in the future there could be a digital rental service (so no waiting on discs from GameFly) and even a games service like Netflix for the Xbox One.

Every day I'm more and more excited for my Xbox One to arrive.

Will the prices be as cheap as Steam? Daily deals, weekend deals? Will Microsoft allow digital retailers to sell serial keys? On the PC you have the likes of Amazon, Green Man Gaming, GOG and a myriad of others competing for your money. More often than not when you're purchasing a game on Amazon or Green Man, you're purchasing a Steam key. Can I change say, my profile picture for free? Will it allow integrated mod support? Do I have to pay an annual fee to access multiplayer? (you already know the answer to that question). Is the platform developer friendly? Based on what we've seen and heard, not so much. The Playstation 4 is a more open platform in that it allows self-publishing and more flexible pricing. Microsoft is continuing down the road they started on with the Xbox 360. A lot of people have come out and said that if you're an indie developer, the PS4 is the platform for you. Due to Microsoft's content policies, developer can't release free DLC. This is suppose to be the future?

These Steam comparisons are beginning to irk me. People keep saying, "It's just like Steam and everyone loves Steam!" Except as of right now, it's not like Steam. Essentially were trading in consumer rights/privileges without all the perceived benefits. Obviously at this point it's still a case of wait and see, but considering Microsoft's lack of competitive pricing when it comes to digital games, I can't help but be skeptical.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The final nail in their coffin was mattrick saying "get a 360 if you are affected by the online checkin"...

Fuck that, Im not getting shit from them

Also, just because the current lineup of exclusives are an edge better on the xbone, doesnt mean shit. Sony has always had more/better exclusives, and that will never change (I guarentee all of their studios are hard at work on ps4 games)

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Microsoft is introducing some shitty policies, like the online check-in requirement and the crazy DRM thing, as well as having little freedom for indies. Now usually most gamers would just accept the changes, they would complain, but deal with it. But in addition to the shitty policies, Microsoft has been vague, contradictory and in some cases rude when discussing these policies, oh, and the console is $100 more expensive than a competitor not introducing those policies with an otherwise comparable product.

That's why people are (rightfully) pissed.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By kpaadet

Here's what I've seem to have missed:

For the last two years (at least) the entire gaming press and a large portion of their followers have been on a rampage about what scumbags used-game buyers are and how they and Gamestop should die in a fire. We're ruining the industry and someone has to stop us!!

Now all of a sudden the entire gaming press is standing and applauding Sony's support of used games. What gives?

I think most were angry at Gamestop for always trying to sell you a used copy instead of new because of the big profit margin they have on used games. Why would you be angry at people selling or buying used games? Are those people also angry at people buying used houses or cars?

AlmightyBoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

Nothing is wrong witht he Xbox One, it actually has the same DRM policy as the PS4 (it's up to the publishers), people are just nuts.

Actually it doesn't. The PS4 has the exact same policy as the PS3.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#92  Edited By sirdesmond

Here are some things you missed that converted me from an X1 cheerleader to a day one PS4 purchaser;

PS4 is considerably more powerful.

PS4 is ONE HUNDRED dollars cheaper. That's kind of a huge deal.

PS4 allows used games. Period.

PS4 supports self publishers, which makes it the perfect console for independent game developers.

This were some of the primary factors that also moved me from an Xbox gamer to a future PS4 player. Well this and the fact that Sony seems to actually care about its consumer and is working to cater to them while Microsoft is making requirements many didn't ask for and focusing on things that just don't appeal or apply to me at all (Cable/live television, fantasy sports, etc.)

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@mikewarrior: Could you post the link to where someone said that on GAF about console availability? I'd be interested to read that.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the end, there will be the hipsters that need to like Microsoft just because people hate them right now, just like how people liked Sony when everyone hated them. Make your own choice

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

Actually it doesn't. The PS4 has the exact same policy as the PS3.

Which is that absolutely nothing more than an Online Pass is acceptable. Full stop. And they've stated even those are not encouraged. Xbox One has much more than that BUILT IN to the system. They're about as far off as two policies can be.

FirebirdINF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By FirebirdINF

Just wait until MS and SONY announce their standard game prices. If MS says that its games will be cheaper than Sony's, all will be forgiven and the butthurt will stop.

I dont think Sony has all of a sudden become the kind-hearted Santa Clause they are pretending to be. Sony is bleeding money. They will not be able to subsidize PS4 or games very much. MS, on the other hand, is still flush with cash. If MS does a financial attack (cheap games, subsidized consoles, timed exclusives), Sony will squeal so pathetically, it will be sad.

Sony actually looks and sounds kinda desperate with all the buttkissing it is doing. How are they going to make money with all these friendly policies? They are betting that the outraged internet will sway the general consumer? That's VERY risky. CALL OF DOOTY, BRO. DOG!

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By leftie68

@firebirdinf said:

Just wait until MS and SONY announce their standard game prices. If MS says that its games will be cheaper than Sony's, all will be forgiven and the butthurt will stop.

I dont think Sony has all of a sudden become the kind-hearted Santa Clause they are pretending to be. Sony is bleeding money. They will not be able to subsidize PS4 or games very much. MS, on the other hand, is still flush with cash. If MS does a financial attack (cheap games, subsidized consoles, timed exclusives), Sony will squeal so pathetically, it will be sad.

Sony actually looks and sounds kinda desperate with all the buttkissing it is doing. How are they going to make money with all these friendly policies? They are betting that the outraged internet will sway the general consumer? That's VERY risky. CALL OF DOOTY, BRO. DOG!

I love fanboy arguments based on nothing but hypotheticals and "I think or don't thinks". They make me chuckle.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I dont even own a kinect and I know its watching me masterbate.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything the xbox one does seems extremely convenient for me (but I haven't lost internet for 24+ hrs outside of a power outage in probably 15 years). I have a 360 in my school apartment and at home, so every time I go back and forth I have to sort through the discs I may possibly have time to play. I also play games at friends places from time to time and of course never have discs with me in those cases. Finally getting rid of the need for discs completely and just logging into my entire library anywhere seems fantastic! Not to mention 10 of my "family members" also get access to my entire library..

I can gift games to a friend once or just share my library with that same friend. How is this worse in any way from the current system of having to actually hand deliver each game I would like to share with them? Now two people can be playing the same copy of a game, whereas before only one of us could play each disc. Everyone is jumping on consumer rights, but are they not offering incredible flexibility with game sharing? (All of this operating under the assumption that the game sharing description they released is actually a real thing. If something sounds too good to be true it generally is unfortunately..)

jnw93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By jnw93

@hollitz said:

Most of these things wouldn't negatively effect me either, but I think there's a degree of willful ignorance when it comes to not seeing how their policies would negatively effect a large number of people.

Yup I agree that why people are opting for PS4. Sony have tried to listen to people instead of doing there own thing just to make a bigger profit.

Andif my internet goes out and im stuck inside the 1st thing i do is play on the 360 or ps3, you cant do that on your XB1 so why would i pay £80 more for the 2nd class console...

So to answer your question "Have I Missed Something?"

Yes a lot.