Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 4

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 11, 2011

The fourth installment of Turn 10's Motorsport racing franchise, released in Fall 2011. It features 16 player online races, dynamic race conditions, cars from over 80 manufacturers, and compatibility with Kinect, both on and off the racetrack.

So I Spent A Few Hours With Forza Motorsport 4...

• 122 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    I think this Pringles car is from Forza 2. I spent a lot of time bidding on Pringles cars back then and I DON'T EVEN LIKE PRINGLES ALL THAT MUCH.
    I think this Pringles car is from Forza 2. I spent a lot of time bidding on Pringles cars back then and I DON'T EVEN LIKE PRINGLES ALL THAT MUCH.

One of the first things I saw as I explored a pre-release version of Forza Motorsport 4's storefront system was a a vinyl set made to look like the head of the Pringles guy. You know, the little mustache face guy that's on the cans? Right then and there, I knew Forza 4 was going to be totally fine.

I'm honestly not sure where the Pringles thing comes from. It was one of the first vinyl groups I saw in Forza Motorsport 2, I think. It carried on to Forza 3, and... I don't know, is it some sort of weird in-joke in the Forza community? Is one of Turn 10's long-timers a fan of canned chips? It's a mystery that someone should probably solve someday. But as I only had a few hours to sit and take in the early parts of Forza 4, that person isn't me. At least, not yet.

Forza Motorsport 4 probably isn't going to shock you if you're already familiar with the series' past. The cars look great, the tuning setups are well-explained, and the game is primarily structured to feed you events that fit with the cars you currently own. If you're driving a stock Honda Fit, you'll get races for low-powered hatchbacks, cars of Japanese origin, events for your specific engine type and so on. As you upgrade that car, you'll start to see offers for higher-class events, but your driver level will have to be high enough to qualify for certain events, also. The game will once again automatically upgrade or downgrade your car to fit certain events, if you need a helping hand.

The game looks great in screenshots, but you know what? It totally holds up in motion, too.
    The game looks great in screenshots, but you know what? It totally holds up in motion, too.

But if touring around the world and racing in the game's preset events leaves you a little cold, Forza 4 has a new Rivals mode, which is an asynchronous multiplayer mode in the same vein as Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit's Autolog. Rivals mode gives you groups of events, often requiring specific cars (which it lends you for the event) and other restrictions. From there, it's leaderboard battles against ghost racers as you attempt to beat the community or, if you're being realistic about your abilities, just your friends. It's a good change of pace, but everything you do still filters into the same driver and car level buckets, so it looks like you'll find yourself progressing through the game regardless of which mode you choose. That progress includes an affinity level with the game's different car manufacturers. Instead of leveling cars, you'll level a relationship with, say, Nissan. This has the same effect as the car levels in that you'll get a discount on parts and upgrades.

As before, the game will invite you to install a load of cars from the second disc, but you can opt to just play off of the first disc, if that's your thing. Of course, you'll still have to earn enough in-game money to actually buy these cars and add them to your garage, right? Actually... no. Forza 4 comes equipped with a microtransaction-based option that lets you purchase packs of "car tokens" for varying amounts of Microsoft Points. You can, at any point, opt to buy the game's best cars for a few of these tokens. But this might not give you much of an edge, as your driver level still prevents you from entering single-player events in super-high-class race cars. Considering how many different ways you can earn credits in Forza, the whole car token thing seems a little silly.

The storefronts, as you may have guessed, have returned. If you want to slap anime ladies all over your cars then you can build it one layer at a time, just like you did before. You can sell full cars or just vinyl groups on your storefront, as well as tuning setups and stuff like that. The auction house is back, too. It looks like some more options have been added to make it easier to find the stuff you're looking for, but you can still browse around if you're just window shopping.

The Auto Vista mode has been a real focus in a lot of the pre-release Forza coverage, so you probably already know that it's all about floating around a bunch of high-quality car models and zooming in for a closer look. I messed around with it for a bit with a controller and, yeah, it's nice. If you're interested in hearing Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear feed you some notes about different cars, it's pretty cool--but I don't know that I'll spend much more time with it now that I've gotten the basic idea. Maybe if you're an absolute car fiend it'll make more sense, but I think I'd rather drive. Or, actually, I'd probably rather surf the storefronts for ridiculous decals to slap all over my cars. To each his own, right?

After a few hours with it, Forza Motorsport 4 doesn't feel dramatically different from the previous game. You'll quickly recognize tracks that appeared in previous games and the options you get for adjusting the difficulty and driver assistance are similar, as well. That should actually feel like good news for most of you with an interest in the Forza franchise. It certainly gave me just enough of a taste to get me excited to sink a ton of hours into painting and driving cars when the game's released next month.

Here, check out these other screenshots!

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

One of the first things I saw as I explored a pre-release version of Forza Motorsport 4's storefront system was a a vinyl set made to look like the head of the Pringles guy. You know, the little mustache face guy that's on the cans? Right then and there, I knew Forza 4 was going to be totally fine.

I'm honestly not sure where the Pringles thing comes from. It was one of the first vinyl groups I saw in Forza Motorsport 2, I think. It carried on to Forza 3, and... I don't know, is it some sort of weird in-joke in the Forza community? Is one of Turn 10's long-timers a fan of canned chips? It's a mystery that someone should probably solve someday. But as I only had a few hours to sit and take in the early parts of Forza 4, that person isn't me. At least, not yet.

Forza Motorsport 4 probably isn't going to shock you if you're already familiar with the series' past. The cars look great, the tuning setups are well-explained, and the game is primarily structured to feed you events that fit with the cars you currently own. If you're driving a stock Honda Fit, you'll get races for low-powered hatchbacks, cars of Japanese origin, events for your specific engine type and so on. As you upgrade that car, you'll start to see offers for higher-class events, but your driver level will have to be high enough to qualify for certain events, also. The game will once again automatically upgrade or downgrade your car to fit certain events, if you need a helping hand.

But if touring around the world and racing in the game's preset events leaves you a little cold, Forza 4 has a new Rivals mode, which is an asynchronous multiplayer mode in the same vein as Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit's Autolog. Rivals mode gives you groups of events, often requiring specific cars (which it lends you for the event) and other restrictions. From there, it's leaderboard battles against ghost racers as you attempt to beat the community or, if you're being realistic about your abilities, just your friends. It's a good change of pace, but everything you do still filters into the same driver and car level buckets, so it looks like you'll find yourself progressing through the game regardless of which mode you choose. That progress includes an affinity level with the game's different car manufacturers. Instead of leveling cars, you'll level a relationship with, say, Nissan. This has the same effect as the car levels in that you'll get a discount on parts and upgrades.

As before, the game will invite you to install a load of cars from the second disc, but you can opt to just play off of the first disc, if that's your thing. Of course, you'll still have to earn enough in-game money to actually buy these cars and add them to your garage, right? Actually... no. Forza 4 comes equipped with a microtransaction-based option that lets you purchase packs of "car tokens" for varying amounts of Microsoft Points. You can, at any point, opt to buy the game's best cars for a few of these tokens. But this might not give you much of an edge, as your driver level still prevents you from entering single-player events in super-high-class race cars. Considering how many different ways you can earn credits in Forza, the whole car token thing seems a little silly.

The storefronts, as you may have guessed, have returned. If you want to slap anime ladies all over your cars then you can build it one layer at a time, just like you did before. You can sell full cars or just vinyl groups on your storefront, as well as tuning setups and stuff like that. The auction house is back, too. It looks like some more options have been added to make it easier to find the stuff you're looking for, but you can still browse around if you're just window shopping.

The Auto Vista mode has been a real focus in a lot of the pre-release Forza coverage, so you probably already know that it's all about floating around a bunch of high-quality car models and zooming in for a closer look. I messed around with it for a bit with a controller and, yeah, it's nice. If you're interested in hearing Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear feed you some notes about different cars, it's pretty cool--but I don't know that I'll spend much more time with it now that I've gotten the basic idea. Maybe if you're an absolute car fiend it'll make more sense, but I think I'd rather drive. Or, actually, I'd probably rather surf the storefronts for ridiculous decals to slap all over my cars. To each his own, right?

After a few hours with it, Forza Motorsport 4 doesn't feel dramatically different from the previous game. You'll quickly recognize tracks that appeared in previous games and the options you get for adjusting the difficulty and driver assistance are similar, as well. That should actually feel like good news for most of you with an interest in the Forza franchise. It certainly gave me just enough of a taste to get me excited to sink a ton of hours into painting and driving cars when the game's released next month.

Here, check out these other screenshots!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Rad.

heat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By heat

Forza 4 is gonna own

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BasketSnake

If only I could use my driving force GT on the xbox.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By grilledcheez

More Forza sounds good to me

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

How long was the dramatic intro movie? Is it better than Gran Turismo's?

EmoMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EmoMcGee

Jeremy Clarkson is the best Jeremy Clarkson...in the world.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By avidwriter

It looks good but after a game like Driver SF, does just driving around a track for laps do it for anyone anymore?

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By slowbird

Aw yeah. Bring on the 4za.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Solh0und

Yup, the pringles car is totally odd.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By trace

Race Night will be ready! Starting to get excited now.

That said, I'm still curious about car club details. I think Turn 10's been a little too mum on how inviting people, managing clubs (both in ranks and how you can adjust the accessibility of ranks), and club limits will work. Learning whether I can invite an entire club to my multiplayer lobby would be rad, too, so I know whether I still have to rely on a silly dummy account like GiantBomb Forza for collecting interested players.

snetErz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By snetErz

@avidwriter: I could drive around tracks all day long. ;)

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DirtyEagles

@davo said:

Jeremy Clarkson is my hero.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Renahzor

Can't wait to see the stuff the GB community comes up with this time. 16 player races might be fun too, I'll look forward to at least a couple months of race night and painting ridiculous BG themed vinyls, GBDC tag go!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru

That car is so Pringles!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Devil240Z

@PsEG said:

Are new people welcome? I S-ranked Forza 3 but never played online.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By superpow

Yup. That's a game.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By prestonhedges

They should really just let people import pictures instead of letting them spend dozens of hours constructing the Pringles guy, if at least for their own sanity.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive always been interested in this game but I have only have a PS3

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Afroman269

@gladspooky said:

They should really just let people import pictures instead of letting them spend dozens of hours constructing the Pringles guy, if at least for their own sanity.

The developers said they could easily do that but they actually appreciate the work that the game community does in creating these images. It's fun for the people who can do it and they are rewarded for their work by putting it in the auction house. Letting people import pictures would just ruin it for the people who are actually talented enough to accomplish that stuff the hard way.

dooftastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dooftastic
    No Caption Provided
    prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By prestonhedges

@Afroman269 said:

@gladspooky said:

The developers said they could easily do that but they actually appreciate the work that the game community does in creating these images. It's fun for the people who can do it and they are rewarded for their work by putting it in the auction house. Letting people import pictures would just ruin it for the people who are actually talented enough to accomplish that stuff the hard way.

Oh, is that their reason? I figured it was "Someone could just take a picture of their dick and put it on a car," but then I would be like, "But that dude's going to put his dick on that car whether you make it easy for him or not," but oh well.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By winsord

My only pre-order so far this year; very excited for this.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Hey look, it is that game GT wishes it was.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

That sure is one neat looking game.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

It's not out yet, lets not make assumptions.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By trace

@Devil240Z said:

@PsEG said:

Are new people welcome? I S-ranked Forza 3 but never played online.

New people are always welcome, yeah, though admittedly we've had problems fitting everybody into an eight-person lobby in Forza 3.

I think we're going to make a habit out of saying, "If you want to join, then join" or something to that extent with Forza 4. I imagine there will always be openings in a 16-player lobby.

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mordi

I only played Forza 1, but I was also just as hooked on the decal editor as I was on the driving. I don't think I ever finished it.

Avatar image for seattleoriginal
    seattleoriginal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By seattleoriginal

I'm guessing these games really target those who are really into virtual driving. After playing 2 and 3 I don't see much to bring me back to driving a car again. Curious if the game will be enough of a change to deem it another game?

ucankurbaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ucankurbaga

So its same game with few gimmicks slapped on it. I am glad I didn't buy xbox 360 for this...

matt_wickstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By matt_wickstrom

October 11th can't come fast enough!

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zombie2011

@ucankurbaga said:

So its same game with few gimmicks slapped on it. I am glad I didn't buy xbox 360 for this...

What do want a racing game to be?

afjkidd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By afjkidd5

Really looking forward to this. Looks better than I ever thought possible.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chewii101

More Top Gear in Forza? Sold. 

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By wrathofconn

@avidwriter said:

It looks good but after a game like Driver SF, does just driving around a track for laps do it for anyone anymore?

These are not comparable games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011 said:

@ucankurbaga said:

What do want a racing game to be?

Haha, right? Forza has everything you could possibly want.

If you want nitrous and cop car chases, then you're looking at the wrong game.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Branthog

I have to say, I think this is the first time I"m not going to buy Forza. I feel like I'm done with racing games. I might make an exception for another Burnout: Paradise, but . . . other than that, I don't know that I have it in me for any more of these racing titles. *sigh*

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

It's not out yet, lets not make assumptions.

Let's not ignore everything we already know about either franchise.

Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jerome85

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

And iRacing is what both of them wish they could be. Sim racing on a console is an oxymoron.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By drwhat

For my money, Forza Motorsport 4 may be the greatest driving game ever released... in the world.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By drwhat

@davo said:

Shoegazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shoegazing

All the Top Gear stuff is going to be awesome, though is it wrong I'm surprised they didn't go for the Top Gear America guys?

Thankfully not because Jeremy Clarkson is going to be a great fit for this game.

arwdassain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By arwdassain

I Can't wait need to get my racing wheel out or wait and see what comes out. I thought I read somewhere that logitech is putting a new G series wheel that works on PC-360, best of both worlds for me.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By skadave

You had me at Honda Fit. . . that's my car and I can't wait to race and customize it.

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chtasm

Gotta finish F3's all gold achievement before this!

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hosstile17

Count me in! I have loved every installment. I have needed a palette cleanser since I played GT5, ugh.

Scodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By Scodiac

I'm a big Forza fan. Sounds like they've added a few interesting things but haven't messed with the formula too much. I'll probably pick it up eventually.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By trace

@Jerome85 said:

And iRacing is what both of them wish they could be. Sim racing on a console is an oxymoron.

I don't think Turn 10 wishes Forza 4 could be $100 per year, require a racing wheel, and only come with roughly six cars and nine tracks in its initial package (with extra cars and tracks costing anywhere between $12-14 each). I also don't think they'd want private races to cost $.50 an hour for the host.

To say sim racing can't exist on consoles is just silly, as well. I haven't owned a functioning racing wheel since 2006 or so, only using a 360 controller for racing games since then. I had a chance to try iRacing earlier this year at PAX East, and was able to use my experience in Forza 3 to easily drive the Williams F1 car around Silverstone, both quickly and without major incident (one minor spin attempting to accelerate too quickly out of a slow turn on my first lap, easily corrected). I had never touched iRacing before then.

iRacing is excellent, no doubt, but it's intended more for elitists who only want to accept the most perfect of simulations, professionals who want to be able to practice at any time, or gamers who somehow hope that they can translate their in-game driving skill into a real-life ride. Forza Motorsport is still quite realistic, and it's meant for anyone who wants to try their hand at auto racing, not just the most addicted or obsessed. It's also a good starting point for people who might eventually find themselves more interested in games like iRacing.

Viewpoints like "Forza and GT are unrealistic arcade racers" make sim racing fans look stuck-up. There's little truth to such claims.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By vaportra1l

I've got my preorder of the LCE in. Can't wait.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By j3ffro919

Everything I read or see about Forza 4 makes me more excited for October 11th. I can't wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.