Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

From Dust

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 27, 2011

As a benevolent god known as 'the Breath', players must lead their people to safety and help them retrieve the lost knowledge of their ancestors by manipulating the shape of the terrain of the world in this spiritual successor to Populous.

Following Backlash, Ubisoft Promises to Ditch From Dust's DRM

• 147 results
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By McShank

@Yamoto said:

.... i really fucking hate you ubisoft maby even more than ea and activison

Why? DRM sucks but why do you hate them? I always thought DRM was a reason to dislike someone and possibly not buy their game as internet is not always available but to Hate them for it.. wtf. Get over yourself. They make games and you buy them, they never forced you to.

Robin_Gr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Robin_Gr

I don't understand why they would throw something like this out there only to back peddle on it so quickly. All it does is piss people off.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Draxyle

They wasted their time putting it in and now they're wasting their time taking it out.  Development resources that could have been more properly applied.

It's a shame, you'd think they'd know better after the last several times they alone have had this exact same backlash. Really doesn't make sense. Well I might actually buy it now during a steam sale.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By Branthog

@Undeadpool said:

THIS is how you enact change. You write/email/post on the publisher's forum (WITHOUT using the words "fucking dipshits") and you get results. You don't just throw up your hands and say "Oh well, I'll just pirate it COMPLETELY justifiably!"

The only change they accomplished here is that while they'll capitulate this time, they will simply have a very strong policy against ever commenting on DRM being excluded from a product.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By mosdl

@Rolento said:

Now I might actually pick it up.

Only if they fix the weird mouse issues and capped framerate as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@McShank said:

@Yamoto said:

.... i really fucking hate you ubisoft maby even more than ea and activison

Why? DRM sucks but why do you hate them? I always thought DRM was a reason to dislike someone and possibly not buy their game as internet is not always available but to Hate them for it.. wtf. Get over yourself. They make games and you buy them, they never forced you to.

OR do they..? They have the mind controls man, you gotta wear your alfoil.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Atary77

Seriously when it comes to Single Player games like this, I don't see the point in having to log in online all the damn time

swervinmonkeyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By swervinmonkeyz

I don't know if I can ever accept DRM in games (well excluding Steam, I suppose). However, every other implementation that I've come across has felt too restrictive or cumbersome. Even after this change From Dust is still  a pretty crappy port. Playing it offline should be a given and the fact that we had to fight for seems unnecessary.  
    The Humble Indie Bundle, GOG are proof that DRM-free can be commercially viable. Pirates will always pirate so just give paying customers a good product :/ 

Kexpakki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Kexpakki

Whats realy stupid about most DRM's is that they are cracked within days of release, if not before and the crack removes all the crap the DRM forces you to deal with.
    The Assassins Creed DRM backfired so badly that the only pople who could play the game at release were the pirates because the login servers were DDOS'd

oh and another good one was Portal 2(if i remeber correctly), although that wasent DRM, there was a bug in the game that made it unplayable and the pirates fixed it before Valve put out a patch for it :p

Lobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By Lobst

Fantastic, fantastic news!

So -- see you all when the PC port of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes comes out, then?

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Nocall

this changes nothing with me. i can (and will) live without ubisoft games.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#62  Edited By Little_Socrates

@EpicReflex said:

I assumed this was only a problem for people without Internet access? How does a patch which is inaccessible to those users fix the issue?

The patch also affects those who might, say, play the game on an airplane or other similar location with no internet access. Or those on dial-up.

anklebreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By anklebreaker

2 weeks lol, as patrick said... a lot of players would of moved on already or given up from the shocking controls

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Bravestar

Thank you angry people on the internet!

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By envane

i reallly had no problem with the drm , it was the shoddy port that made me mad , wouldnt even load the title screen of the game properly , then like 2 days later it was fine , and i was able to play the game , so i finished it in one sitting and had a thoroughly GREAT exeprience , and within a few levels i had forgotten about the 30fps cap , and gotten used to the mouse controls ... it makes me sad that ubisofts mismanagement has cast a shadow on what is a truly unique and fun take on the god game genre .. even on pc in its current form i would reccomend it to anyone whos slightly a bit more mature and can handle a bit of frustration with the drm and getting it to work .. the last level of the game is so trancendatly awesome you wont give a fuck about how much shit you went through to get there.. THATS IF you get past the loading screen eheh

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#66  Edited By godzilla_sushi

It's hard to imagine anyone but the suits making these silly decisions over and over. I hope someone didn't get in trouble over that post. If I spent any amount of time working on this particular project I'd be cringing. Unwanted attention and a bad impression hurt From Dust in a very important opening week!

Now early adopters are punished, and the pirates punish everyone no matter what DRM is there. The individuals who decide how Ubisoft games are published need to seriously reconsider that topic in the future. It's frustrating because it isn't the first time and it won't be the last. Every single time we as gamers put up with this corporate political crap it hurts their reputation, and creative developers pay the price when we don't want to over those decisions.

It's not a new problem, but in the year 2011 it is getting pretty old.

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Dread612
    @Gildermershina said:
    The DRM crap doesn't bother me, it's the framerate, the lack of AA, the control issues. That and the fact that Bastion launched on Steam with basically no major issues and already there's been three or four patches, but From Dust seemingly isn't going to have anything for two weeks.   That said, the fact you have this intrusive DRM launcher system for ubisoft games even on Steam is kinda silly. Sure, you get cloud saves, but Steamworks gives you that. Achievements? Steamworks. Patching? Steamworks... I understand that Steamworks doesn't even require the game to be on Steam, but at this stage, why wouldn't you just have it run on Steam anyway? Every single thing this uPlay thing (or any of these DRM-launcher things) does, Steam does better.
    Exactly, until those issues are addressed I'm not going to purchase it regardless of the DRM or lack there of.
    Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Revenant86

The DRM wasn't the worst part. it was jsut the icing on the cake that sent most everyone over the edge. 

The mouse control was godawful. I've had better results playing Army Men sarges heroes on an N64  emulator

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#69  Edited By shodan2020

I think this is a case of too little too late for me.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I wonder if this 'patch' will be made by a Pirate Group again.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kreeztoff

It's swell that they're taking their criticisms to heart and all that, but it's because of nonsense like this happening at all that I'm always wary of buying PC games, particularly Ubisoft ones. Treating paying customers like criminals is never, ever acceptable, no matter how much time you spend trying to justify it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By probablytuna

Companies never learn do they? That's the second time in a week where I've seen negative reaction to these restrictions from consumers have forced companies to reverse the decisions. First it was the PC-boxed version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution being region-locked and then subsequently changed (which made me lose my pre-order from Ozgameshop) now From Dust. Please guys, think before you do anything stupid.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@EpicReflex said:

I assumed this was only a problem for people without Internet access? How does a patch which is inaccessible to those users fix the issue?

No the issue was having to be always online just to play single player which is a problem if you dont't have "always on" internet, if they didn't have internet access at all, then they wouldn't have the game period because you can only buy it online.

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By random_guy23

@SeriouslyNow: that there might just be the best gaming related news story i've ever read.

laugurinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By laugurinn

Too many things to mention. Worst port ever. Incredible really.

GiantBomb - please find a picture of the dude that greenlighted this. The dude that said "That's enough, IT'S READY". I want to see his face.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@random_guy23 said:

@SeriouslyNow: that there might just be the best gaming related news story i've ever read.

It gets better.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By confideration

OK now everyone who complained is buying it right?

RIGHT??

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By tourgen

proof that you should never buy a ubisoft game on release day.  well at least they are going to patch it out. 

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#80  Edited By vitor

@EpicReflex said:

Surely they couldn't download it in the first place if they had no internet? It's not a game you can buy at retail after all.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#81  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Aw Ubi... pick a side. If you wanna use DRM just do it, if not then don't. You already knew there would be people whining about it anyways, it shouldn't have been a surprise etc. Taking this back just seems even worse to me. 

Maybe don't take my words though, I'm one of those 'has internet' and 'doesn't play video games in weird places like airports or the gym' etc. I have 'always on' internet in my house, which according to the internet people isn't common :(

jaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jaks

Meanwhile people who pirated it for free have been enjoying a faster loading, faster running, non-nagging, DRM free version since launch day. LONG LIVE DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT. THANKS FOR FUCKING YOUR CUSTOMERS IN THE ASS, UBISOFT!

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Chokobo

Frankly, I've never understood the uproar. I've never had any internet intermittency issues in the past 5 years. I understand the idiosyncrasy of requiring constant connection for a SP only game, but honestly if my internet is down, I'm not on the computer anyways. I'm using internet on my phone.

idk. Maybe it's just that it doesn't really affect me and that's why I'm indifferent.

Cmdc00kie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Cmdc00kie

The irony is that DRM solves absolutely nothing, and causes a mess of problems. Pirates still get the game, and the experience for the law abiding is worse.

Phydu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Phydu
    @Rolento said:

As soon as it's on sale on Steam....
    Lucidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Lucidlife

Fuck you Ubisoft. You aren't getting a dime of my money now or ever. How many times are you idiots going to try to insert DRM and then have to remove it? People who don't learn from their mistakes don't get my money.

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By doe3879

bad DRM or not

still a bad port

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @EpicReflex said:
    What does DRM actually prevent? PC games are cracked without fail - seems like a pointless enterprise. 
    Exactly, wasted money on their part, then at some point customers have to pay for DRM costs. Then they screw it up constantly, break games, force us to do as they want, etc. I wish more people could understand how futile DRM really is.  

I've argued that point with plenty of dumb fucks, but they just want to spout morality and other horse shit. Some even went ahead and suggested to crack a game I bought because of issues caused by stupid DRM. Seriously what is the point? I buy something i have to fucking fix to be able to use? Shouldn't I get a discounted price for having to work to use my new game? 

Newsflash: 2012 is the year all pc games declare some assembly required to play. Give me a fucking break.
    Shmio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Shmio

@doe3879: Exactly. This will be the first and last time I extend myself out to Ubisoft and preorder one of their DRM laden ports. I've made it roughly through half of the game...chances are that's where it will stay.

anthony_field

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By anthony_field

hummm

afjkidd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By afjkidd5

At least the situation will be rectified. Ubi needs to learn that communication with customers is key in keeping them satisfied.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TwilitEnd656

It's like they themselves missed part of the point. Bad port aside, the DRM itself isn't the whole issue; it's that they made a mistake/lied about information and went back to (try to) cover it up. And now they're not even acknowledging that and leaving it as "misunderstandings?"

This entire thing is just... A PR nightmare. Okay, Ubi, I get the message. No more PC purchases from you. No more new copies for console games from you. You will no longer receive a single cent of my money. I have better people to give money to.

chem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By chem

I don't care about the DRM! Fix the controls! Gah!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#94  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Good. I hope they learn from this.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#95  Edited By Undeadpool

@Branthog: I doubt it, but what IS the solution, then?

bhlaab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 15

#96  Edited By bhlaab

Don’t be surprised if some time after the release of Driver:SanFran the DRM in that magically goes away as well.

Put in the DRM, get your day one protection, then remove the DRM a little while after release and suddenly you’re doing everyone a huge favor because you love your customers and value their feedback so much

And just to throw some more cynicism into the mix, From Dust has gotten quite a bit more attention from this than it probably would have otherwise.

Summoboomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Summoboomo
    @Phydu said:
    @Rolento said:

As soon as it's on sale on Steam....
    I like the way you think.

This is especially considering it's an unfortunate PC port.
    Twinblade34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Twinblade34

Fix the anti-aliasing, i cant play without it!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#99  Edited By alistercat

At least they have admitted to it, and surprisingly doing something about the complaints rather than sticking to their decision.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By vinsanityv22

Alright. Sounds like it's worth buying in two weeks then, and no sooner. 

Always gotta be on the watch whenever Ubi Soft is dropping a PC game. And Blizzard now, if Diablo III is anything to go by.  I hope that's not Activision's influence creeping into the house of Warcraft....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.