Gears of War 2 - Limited Edition worthy or not?

#1 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

With the release of Gears of War 2 coming in the end of the year, they have annoucnced the new Limited Edition that will go with the game. I wanted to know if any of you think that the Limited Edition copy of Gears 2 is worth buying or are you just going to get the regular edition?

#2 Posted by Joseppie (733 posts) -

I'd say it's worth it. The knick-knacks that come with it seem like they'd be interesting. More importantly, $70 for a limited edition these days is so terribly, terribly reasonable.

#3 Posted by halfameatball (118 posts) -

I usually just get regular editions. The stuff that typically comes along with LEs is worthless to me.

#4 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -
Joseppie said:
"I'd say it's worth it. The knick-knacks that come with it seem like they'd be interesting. More importantly, $70 for a limited edition these days is so terribly, terribly reasonable.
"
That is true. Just look at the Fallout 3 Limited Edition, $80 for basically a lunch box and a bobblehead. I would've gotten it but the thing is its going to be just the regular edition game inside the Lunch Box with no special packaging like Gears 2.
#5 Posted by Txheat (133 posts) -

Well it really depends what comes with it.

#6 Posted by Foil_Charizard (345 posts) -

There is already a thread like this in the GOW2 forum, and if you like Gears than yes it's worth it.

#7 Posted by jNerd (2011 posts) -
Gears of War 2: Collector's Edition (Displayed)
For $70 all that is SUPER reasonable. I personally LOVE Collector's Edition games & since GoW2 is going to be an AMAZING game & the price is only $70 you bet my blue balls I'll be pickin that up!!!

As listed on GameStop's site. For $70, you'll get the game, a "Collectible SteelBook DVD case", a small art/character book with foreword by Dude Huge, a making-of DVD, a cheesy photo of Dom and his missus and an in-game item. Which is a "gold-plated" Lancer, that you'll be able to use in MP matches. In these crazy days of $100+ collector's editions, that's surprisingly reasonable.

#8 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Any limited edition of any game comes down to whether your a fan or not.
If you like GeOW, and are a true die hard fan then yes get it. Looks great

#9 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

You got it covered. Its great to see FINALLY have a $70 price tag.

#10 Edited by Txheat (133 posts) -
jNerd said:
"
Gears of War 2: Collector's Edition (Displayed)
For $70 all that is SUPER reasonable. I personally LOVE Collector's Edition games & since GoW2 is going to be an AMAZING game & the price is only $70 you bet my blue balls I'll be pickin that up!!!

As listed on GameStop's site. For $70, you'll get the game, a "Collectible SteelBook DVD case", a small art/character book with foreword by Dude Huge, a making-of DVD, a cheesy photo of Dom and his missus and an in-game item. Which is a "gold-plated" Lancer, that you'll be able to use in MP matches. In these crazy days of $100+ collector's editions, that's surprisingly reasonable.

"
Well you put it that way, yes
#11 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

For $70, it's a great deal, actually. Def. better than I expected. If you a big fan of Gears, I think it's a great addition to your library.

#12 Edited by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

$70 Converts to about $90 in New Zealand which which is the rrp for new releases here.
Sounds like a great deal

#13 Posted by spragels (97 posts) -

limited editions are a joke.

#14 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
spragels said:
"limited editions are a joke. "
So was your post.
#15 Posted by Bodycount (72 posts) -

Im getting it. I always go for the LE if i can find it. Still pissed I never got the Bioshoc one. (it was sold out) had to settle for the regular edition.

#16 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

This one seems like a purchase

#17 Posted by JavaFiend (16 posts) -

I bought the limited edition of the first Gears and it seems like a wast of money.  The only one that has been worth it to me so far was Bioshock.  I think I will buy the standard edition of Gears 2, and save the extra money for the Limited edition of Fallout 3.

#18 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

I've only gotten one limited edition in my life, but Gears 2 will definitely be my second.  The golden lancer drew me in.  So yeah I believe it's worth it.  You're getting some good stuff for that extra 10 bucks and I'm a big Gears fan.

#19 Posted by eduardo (356 posts) -

Well, seeing that the normal game will be 60 dollars, paying ten more for some bonus content seems kind of worth it. I hope it makes its way down to South America.

#20 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

It'll def be worth it for a price of $70.

#21 Posted by Frostbyte (48 posts) -

I'm going to settle for the normal version if you can even call it settling.  I buy games for the game itself.

#22 Posted by Cleric (286 posts) -
Frostbyte said:
"I'm going to settle for the normal version if you can even call it settling.  I buy games for the game itself.
"

Ditto. 70$ for a Limited Edition is a good price though.
#23 Posted by Grape (142 posts) -

I'll probably get Limited Edition.

#24 Posted by Shinedown220 (148 posts) -

Considering the first Gears LE sucked, I would expect this to be no different.

God of War does it best you get an amazing game and all the making of footage for $50, hopefully they do that for God of War III, just at $60.

#25 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

The only problems I have with limited edtions are that they will be cheaper a month or two later, look at how much Halo 3 Legendary edition costs now.

#26 Posted by HairyMike87 (1015 posts) -

I never buy a game for a higher price. So I will be buying the regular edition.

#27 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

It's not worth the extra $10 in my opinion.

#28 Posted by MaestroGarcia (3 posts) -

Hi,

I dont know if it is worh it, but I will defenetly buy it anyways.... Just so my collection looks even better :)!

#29 Posted by MarksmanLink (10 posts) -

Gold-plated Lance Assault Rifle for online play? I'm sold.

#30 Posted by TullyAckland (237 posts) -

im a sucker for buying the more expensive option, so ill buy it...
yes i know, im whats wrong with the world.

#31 Posted by Leewow (118 posts) -

Yeah Who Wouldn't Want A Gold Lancer

#32 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

From what I have heard the cover art isn't as hot as the regular. Anyone else agree with that?

#33 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -
Sentry said:
"From what I have heard the cover art isn't as hot as the regular. Anyone else agree with that?
"

I agree somewhat to a degree. You can't go wrong with a SteelBook cover.
#34 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
MAV3R1CK said:
"Sentry said:
"From what I have heard the cover art isn't as hot as the regular. Anyone else agree with that?
"

I agree somewhat to a degree. You can't go wrong with a SteelBook cover."

Unless its ugly! XD But is the whole boxart different or is it just a cover on the box art? :S
#35 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

So far iv got the LE for Halo and GTA, and i really like the additives that they come with.
If you have the chance to get limited editions do it.

#36 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

I will absolutely be getting the Limited Edition... I don't know if I'm up for the $130 bundle yet though, probably not... But LE for sure.

#37 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

The Limited Edition is going to have a facking Golden Chainsaw that you can use in Multiplayer! That's an Insta-buy!... For me at least.

#38 Posted by FrozenVX (95 posts) -

For only ten bucks more, there's a lot of content. I'll be picking it up for sure.

#39 Posted by Wolverine (4277 posts) -

I could see my self buying the $70 Gears of War 2 but I wouldn't spend anymore money then that.

#40 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

I'm not sure if it's "worthy" but I never purchase limited edition items, as the extra content, for me, doesn't warrant the extra cash.

#41 Edited by shadowjak (456 posts) -
MsCortana said:
"I'm not sure if it's "worthy" but I never purchase limited edition items, as the extra content, for me, doesn't warrant the extra cash.
"
Haha, agreed. The spatan helemt for Halo 3 Legendary Edition I heard absolutley worthless. As for extra videos, I am glad I not the only one who doesn't give a flying f*ck >_>
#42 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Leewow said:
"Yeah Who Wouldn't Want A Gold Lancer
"

Someone who really just doesn't want their lancer's shine to revela their position..?
#43 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
Met2609 said:
"For $70, it's a great deal, actually. Def. better than I expected. If you a big fan of Gears, I think it's a great addition to your library.
"
I'll be getting it. :-D
#44 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

70 bucks or 130 bucks? 70 is good, but 130? Hell to the motha fucking no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.