Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 20, 2018

God of War is a soft reboot on the franchise of the same name. It sees Kratos and his son Atreus traverse a world of Norse myths.

God Of War (PS4) Reviews

• 128 results
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy allies gave it a 10 out of 10 and said it needs to be experienced by every human on Earth. It looks so good I'm happy the reviews are positive.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Well, damn, that's good news. Still probably won't buy it any time soon because of backlog and whatnot, but holy shit, all this positive press makes me actually want to play so much more than I would have expected.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Sounds like Sony is still acing the first-party exclusive battle this gen. I wasn't really intending to play this but it sounds like a winner.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Glad to hear the gameplays good. Although i'm still not sure i'm into the father son dynamic. I'll still play it regardless.

Easy allies gave it a 10 out of 10 and said it needs to be experienced by every human on Earth. It looks so good I'm happy the reviews are positive.

Quotes like this make it hard for me to take certain critics seriously. It's cool that they enjoyed it though.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Jeff Bakalar, gaming's answer to the question "Hey, is that Jeff Bakalar over there?", has given this game a glowing review then that's all I need to hear.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7 sweep  Moderator

This shot from "I have no interest in playing a God Of War game" to "huh, maybe I'll check it out if I have time"

So... good work, those guys?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: This reminds me of Nier Automata - a game when announced everyone just asked "why?" and then it came out and people quickly turned around to saying "You all really should play this game".

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had much I twrest in the series before, but even the first trailer for this game had me going "Huh...that looks legitimately great". But when then I had my doubts they would pull it off. Seems like they did. Good on 'em.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who conceptually disliked the series for being about a boring character killing an interesting pantheon I wonder if this is totally different. Especially considering I like the Norse pantheon more than the Greek one...

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reviews are pretty much what I expected. The game was perfect reviewer bait.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:

The reviews are pretty much what I expected. The game was perfect reviewer bait.

What about your playthrough was significantly different than the reviews?

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The gameplay and visuals sound incredible but at the end of the day it's still a God of War game.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading some reviews I'm honestly blown away it turned out as good as it did. This is the kind of praise you'd seen for things like Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. So God of War of all things is Naughty Dog tier now?? This is huge for Sony. Thier first party offerings are rivaling Nintendo at this point. And only seems to further rasie the question of just what the hell Microsoft is doing.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By splodge

@luchalma said:

After reading some reviews I'm honestly blown away it turned out as good as it did. This is the kind of praise you'd seen for things like Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. So God of War of all things is Naughty Dog tier now?? This is huge for Sony. Thier first party offerings are rivaling Nintendo at this point. And only seems to further rasie the question of just what the hell Microsoft is doing.

It is completely nuts. It's cool that they are updating old games to be 4k compatible and all that jazz, but I honestly can not see the value of owning an XBONE if you want to play anything modern. Sony are killing it. What the hell are they doing indeed.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By glots

@mems1224 said:

I can’t tell the tone of this. Like screw them for making a game with good gameplay and a seemingly compelling story (that still really isn’t a given with every video game coming out) or that all the reviewers are wrong in liking it?

If this is some type of comparison to movies, that have an ”oscar bait” vibe to them, I can maybe somehow see (but not share) your point, but it’s still pretty cynical. A story about a father and his son isn’t maybe the most original tale, but if it’s well told (again a rarity, with TLOU being the only similiar example I can think of) and the action is great as well, I’m onboard.

That said, I would’ve bought this game anyway as a long-time fan.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great goddamn news, day one purchase.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think some of yall are forgetting that, hey, the God of War series is good you guys. Like, GoW 2 was near perfect when it came out. A swan song for the ps2. Didn't that also review 10/10 for the most part? I feel like over the years people have soured on GoW for some reason without really knowing why. I think Ascension being part of the reason and everybody and their mother wanting to be an Internt Warrior these days. But yeah, God of War 1 through 3 were all equally incredible and impressive for their respective releases.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OurSin_360

@frodobaggins: all mainline gow games reviewed high besides maybe ascension. They were great games, this site is really the only place i have ever seen many people down on them.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for them. I called that it was gonna review really well because of both how they changed the series to be more Last of Us-ey and pre-release press. However, I can't say that it really changes my 'eh' stance. It just doesn't look like what I enjoy the series for.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Very surprising to see how short people's memories of the original GoW games are. God of War 1 was the perfect meshing together of tight controls, great camera work for a character action game (which was unheard of at the time), and great graphics on an incredible scale.

Sure it had some things to nitpick at if you wanted to and there was some missteps along the way (the trophy in GoW 3), but all of the first 3 games were incredible. It's not surprising at all that Santa Monica was given a chance at a fresh start in the series and put out another great game.

casualblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By casualblue

This seems to have gone from "who cares" to what seems to be the best game on PS4. Havent seen such glowing reviews like this in god knows how long. There's almost no mention of negative or annoying parts...

interesting to see what the duders think

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews are going as expected

britxmenyuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, looks like sony's 1st party not only making good games, they are making exceptional games...

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony owns the exclusive crown this gen. It's not even close anymore. Do our new Korean overlords like it though?

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some very very big talk in these reviews. A lot of "game of the generation" going on. This game must finish incredibly strongly to have such a glowing roundup from so many sources.

The thing that really intrigued me was the talk of the Bloodborne-inspired level design. Really excited to get in to it now, I'm glad they pulled it off.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any mention on hows it look and run on a regular ps4?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: IGN reviewed it on a release model PS4 and a Pro

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I’ve gone and preordered, even though I’m still working my way through, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, South Park, Far Cry 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Can’t wait to add it to the pile!

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fine, I'll buy it.

Friday releases are annoying though.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortonan: What’s annoying about Friday releases?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

The gameplay and visuals sound incredible but at the end of the day it's still a God of War game.

You can shorten that to "Its still a God of War game."

The visuals and gameplay has always been aced in that series.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't lie, the hype train is working on me. Still won't pick it up on release, but now I'm very excited to play it.

I'm even more excited to see the aftermath of this game... if this is as huge a hit as it sounds like it could be, it might push other long-running franchises to do the same thing and overhaul their respective formulas.

Isslander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm predicting we have our "lauded by the entire GB crew but still won't make top 10" game of the year right here.

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heltom92: Just for me personally, I have plenty of time to play games weeknights after work, while I weekends I run errands and usually have social obligations. Not a big deal though.

But yeah, I wasn't really hyped until this morning though. Hopefully it isn't a Bioshock Infinite situation where everyone is blown away by the presentation and ambition and later it's acknowledged that the gameplay isn't great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I’ve been on the hyper train since some early footage was shown off in March so I’m glad there is so much positive feedback on it.

4/20 smoke Norse gods errry’day

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Wow, I expected a mix of 8s and 9s. Didn't expect so many 10s and high 9s. This just want from a, I'll pick it up in a few months when the price drops, to a definite launch pick up for me. Far Cry 5 was so disappointing, so I'm glad this will pick me up out of that deep hole of disappointment that I'm currently in.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeanFoster

This game coming on the cusp of a few other PS4 games I’d like to play is what is going to finally encourage me to pick up a Playstation. I want to get the bundle and save some money but the limited edition console is so ugly I’m considering spending the extra money to buy them separately (I’ll still get the bundle and just hide the damn thing on my shelf):

No Caption Provided

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JunkerWoland

I found Chris Kohler's review over at Kotaku to be potentially useful (Link). His take on the game, while positive, seems pretty grounded and more focused on the title as something you play, instead of watch.

At the moment, I'm not really sold on what the new GoW sounds to be offering. Rather than reviews, I'm more looking forward to GB's Quicklook and other raw videos of the game being played.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By splodge

@seanfoster: that thing is disgusting. I am pretty sure I could design a nicer one, and I could not draw my way out of a paper bag.

malrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'll now finally take that Monster Hunter World disc out of my PS4

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game coming on the cusp of a few other PS4 games I’d like to play is what is going to finally encourage me to pick up a Playstation. I want to get the bundle and save some money but the limited edition console is so ugly I’m considering spending the extra money to buy them separately (I’ll still get the bundle and just hide the damn thing on my shelf):

No Caption Provided

What a freak, how did that happen.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seanfoster: I've never seen that design... holy hell, that's bad. I've seen my share of ugly LE consoles, and I'd seriously put that in my bottom five.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely wasn't expecting this much praise, to the point where it looks hyperbolic with some of the statements people are making. It's pretty weird that the more universally praised a game is, the more skeptical I become of its quality.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Definitely wasn't expecting this much praise, to the point where it looks hyperbolic with some of the statements people are making. It's pretty weird that the more universally praised a game is, the more skeptical I become of its quality.

Hello ye olde backlash.

Not much of a GoW fan so I don't have a horse in this race personally.

truer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isslander: Yup, just like Bloodborne in 2015, Uncharted 4 in 2016 and Horizon Zero Dawn in 2017

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm predicting we have our "lauded by the entire GB crew but still won't make top 10" game of the year right here.

Some games are just better in the moment. They are almost the big buget blockbusters of game.s. Fun that week but then you kinda forget about them or they dont stick in your brain. which is fine.

Ill be picking up Yakuza instead but it will be nice to have that game available in the summer whenever I need some dumb fun.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Casepb

@dgtlty said:

Well that's always good to hear. GoW series were my favorite PS2 action games, and is still one of the best around. I was worried it wouldn't feel like a true GoW game anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.