Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

The Lost & Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony are collected onto this standalone disc of Grand Theft Auto IV's post-release content.

Thoughts on Gay Tony?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By gearhead

So anyone here buy Gay Tony today, and what do you guys think about it?
    I picked it up today with the points from my birthday only a few days earlier, and so far I am really enjoying it. It honestly starts off with a bang, and I enjoy the entire atmosphere of it, reminding me of Vice City. The mini-games are also a ton of fun, and can see me putting quite a few hours into it, as the final hoorah of Liberty City.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I still don't have my Xbox Live back. I'm hoping to get it going this weekend. Also, I'm so short on hard drive space that I'm thinking of just buying Episodes From Liberty City, even though I already bought The Lost and the Damned when it came out.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By vidiot

I bought it this morning, going to check it out latter tonight.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

He's gay.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mikeeegeee

Why hasn't this thread had more business?

I'll be upfront with you, I'm only one mission deep at this point. But the game does indeed start off with a bang. The writing is some of my favorite of this series (GTAIV) thus far. The mini games, as you mentioned, are also awesome! Who'da thought? Seriously, huge upgrade on the minigames from the previous two episodes.

Also, the P90 behaves much how i'd expect it to, and it's awesome. Loving Louis as the lead, and the new soundtrack is a lot of fun. OH! And there's tons of new pedestrians! Fat people! Seriously, I hadn't even noticed that they weren't there before. But now there's morbidly obese people that waddle the streets. Great looking character models this time around. I feel as though they definitely tweaked the graphics. Feel like this is going to be the best of the three.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Venatio

I just downloaded it, I only saw the opening and checked out the club alittle bit, but its really late here in Sweden, gonna sleep soon so Im gonna play it tommorow

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Potter9156

Haven't played much of the single player yet, just met Mori. Christ, Mori. Mostly played online free mode, and it's a huge improvement over TLAD. I'm satisfied.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

Played a bunch of it today. Brucie is in it. 5 stars.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @Milkman: BRUCIE!
    bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By bwooduhs
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " I still don't have my Xbox Live back. I'm hoping to get it going this weekend. Also, I'm so short on hard drive space that I'm thinking of just buying Episodes From Liberty City, even though I already bought The Lost and the Damned when it came out. "
    I did this.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By unsolvedparadox

It's pretty good so far, I'm really pleased with it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I hope the staff reviews it.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Capum15

I hate Mori. He makes Brucie cry.

Nobody makes him cry. He's freaking Brucie.

Anyway, I love it. Got the Episodes disc...too bad there's no GTA IV music on it. Oh well, they added plenty of songs to Vladivostok to make it worth listening to. I just hate that O Tebe, Mama and Wild Dances isn't on there anymore. 

Finished the story in about 10 hours (played for that entire time after I got it). Doing random side missions until I go through it again.  Tony is pretty awesome, too.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo

Haven't finished it yet but I figure I'm about 3/4 of the way through.  I can't recommend this game highly enough.  

I wasn't that keen on the GTA4, it was a solid game but I didn't really enjoy the story or the tone.  Ballad is a lot closer in tone to Vice City (ie. Silly.  But not going so far as say, Saints Row), has a tighter storyline than the OC, and some great new characters and returning favourites.  Yusuf Amir (who was mentioned in the OC I think) plays a big part here and he is hands down the funniest and most enjoyable GTA character to date.  Rockstar are at the top of their game with the cutscenes and the quality remains consistent even into the secondary (maybe even tertiary) missions, which you could easily go through the game without playing, but are definitely worth going out of your way for.  

The only low points are the (entirely optional) Cage Fighting and Drug Wars secondary mission types, which just seem like padding.  Unfortunately, the Cage Fighting is just plain bad and the (25) Drug Wars missions re-use a handful of mission variations and re-use dialogue to the point where I stopped playing them just to avoid hearing the dialogue.

This doesn't quite reach the heights that Vice City did, but it's getting there.  Easily the best of the three GTA 4 campaigns.  I hope they carry this tone forward into GTA 5, because whilst there is room for 'serious' games, I still don't think GTA is the right franchise for it.

I hope this doesn't get overlooked in the holiday crush because, no kidding, GOTY so far for me.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Im thinking about getting the disk with both DLCs on it.  looks fucking great, and as I got rid of GTA IV, the 20 hours of single player with multiplayer should be well worth the 40 bones. 

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @ArchScabby said:
    " He's gay. "
    I think we all know that.

Luke: *points at the can* That's a can of coke.
    Nick: Yeah I know that....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.