New mod makes this game look awesome.

• 68 results
#1 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

Check out this vid on CVG. Watching it really makes me hope they put GTA IV on sale in the Steam summer sale. Would love to play this game again with improved graphics.

#2 Posted by emem (1971 posts) -

Oh wow, I know what I will play again soon. :)

#3 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

You can't use ENBSeries (which the main lighting part of that mod pack) on the Steam version of GTA IV because ENBS doesn't support the latest GTAIV patches and Steam only offers the latest version.

#4 Edited by Zithe (1045 posts) -

Sections of that video looked incredible. I especially liked the look of the lighting at night. I own GTA IV on Steam but I've barely touched it. Might give this a try.

@SeriouslyNow: Damn. There went my hopes.

#5 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2477 posts) -

I'll stick to Visual IV, which is not as good looking, but runs rather well (with the steam version).

#6 Edited by Portis (1290 posts) -

Saw this.

It almost makes me want to built a spec-monster of a PC to run all that sexiness at 60FPS.

#7 Edited by emem (1971 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: I just read about a newer version coming soon which will work with Steam (the version that exists works, but runs terrible with Steam). It will have a few less features though..

It looks so amazing, it's kind of sad that GTA 5 will not look that good, if it's released on this console generation.

#8 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@emem: If there are people like this modding that game too, then I wouldn't really worry much about how it's going to look. :P
#9 Posted by N7 (3657 posts) -

omg

I wish I had a computer that could run that. The night driving was nuts.

Now what people need to do is take all of the cool mods like that, combine them and make GTAV.

#10 Posted by Oddface (85 posts) -

I've kind of wanted to try one of the numerous graphics mods for this game, but there's always something about them that look weird or inconsistent. This looks great, though.

#11 Posted by Meltac (2005 posts) -

It looked good, but not that good. I'm sure GTA V will look way better. 

#12 Posted by emem (1971 posts) -

@SlasherMan: Yeah, but it takes time to make something like this. :)

#13 Posted by Solemn (278 posts) -

That looks fucking sexy. 

#14 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -
@Meltac: Oh yea no doubt but it is still impressive that people can improve a slightly dated looking game by this much.
#15 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

Rockstar should hire this guy.  That first shot of night looked like a car commercial, it was amazing.

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (12270 posts) -

Liberty City, more like Lingshen Island City :o

#17 Posted by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -

All of the graphics mods for GTA IV I've seen have shitty trees. This one is no different. They're slightly better than the other ones I've seen, but they still look pretty bad compared to everything else & detract from the whole experience. Everything else seems to look spectacular, but when one thing looks average in a game where everything else looks amazing, it really looks out of place.

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (12270 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

All of the graphics mods for GTA IV I've seen have shitty trees. This one is no different. They're slightly better than the other ones I've seen, but they still look pretty bad compared to everything else & detract from the whole experience. Everything else seems to look spectacular, but when one thing looks average in a game where everything else looks amazing, it really looks out of place.

Honestly, I've never seen a good 3D tree (or any kind of foliage) in a game.
#19 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Holy cow that looks amazing.

#20 Edited by emem (1971 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@MattyFTM said:

The GTA IV trees are sprites (aren't they?), I don't think there is anything they can do to make them look better. Putting new 3d models for trees in that game would be crazy, imho. :)

#21 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
@MattyFTM said:

Far Cry 2 had some nice trees, shame about the game however
#22 Posted by Subjugation (4728 posts) -

That looks pretty good, however I'm refraining from getting excited because I've never had great luck getting a good frame rate with GTA IV. Sexy slideshows just don't do it for me.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (12112 posts) -

That looks fucking amazing. If dude gets it working with Steam, I'll give it a shot.

#24 Posted by Tofford (532 posts) -

Thing this is what the next GTA needs to look like. I struggle to go back to GTA IV now because it looks so grimy

#25 Posted by kist (206 posts) -

This looks soo cool, love seeing what the mod experts do with games, just wish that more game developers/publishers would embrace them.... very impressive

#26 Posted by Magicallystoopid (467 posts) -

This mod video has me more wanting to play a new Midnight Club...

Granted I'm always in the mood for Midnight Club but still....

#27 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

cool. maybe I should get a pc copy of GTA 4 
#28 Posted by valentin_rad (85 posts) -

Damn, I've seen this mod before but I still can't believe how nice that game looks. I played GTA 4 on the xbox(blurry textures, lots of aliasing, ugly shadows) and it wasn't anything like this, wow!!!
So, if I already own the game on console is it ok to.. uhm... get it from "shady" sources just to try this mod? Anyways, my pc can barely handle Vice City with ENB series on so I'm not getting my hopes up.

#29 Posted by laserbolts (5337 posts) -
@BeachThunder Didnt Alan wake have some good looking trees? Or am I remembering that wrong
#30 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

This is the only kind of GTA mod I need.

#31 Posted by Icemael (6352 posts) -

Is there a mod that makes the game's controls tolerable?

#32 Posted by Cameron (605 posts) -

Wasn't the PC port of GTA 4 terrible? As in, didn't it run like crap even on high end machines? I feel like giving a poorly ported engine even more to deal with would end poorly performance wise, or you would need an absolute beast of a computer to run this mod well.

#33 Posted by emem (1971 posts) -

@Icemael said:

Is there a mod that makes the game's controls tolerable?

Hm mouse and keyboard felt a little weird, but it plays fine with a gamepad.. I'm not sure what you mean.

#34 Posted by Icemael (6352 posts) -
@emem: I'm referring to how Niko controls like a tank ship riding a wheelchair.
#35 Posted by Castiel (2696 posts) -

Man this thread sux! I like this other thread though. It even has a actual video and not just a stupid link and there even is some cool photos.

#36 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -
@Castiel said:

Man this thread sux! I like this other thread though. It even has a actual video and not just a stupid link and there even is some cool photos.

WHAT!? Get out of my thread son and take your 'videos' and 'photos' with you!
#37 Edited by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

@MattyFTM said:

What games have you been playing?  Your honesty is pretty meaningless. Those trees look like shit.  The only relatively recent game with worse trees is Gran Turismo 5.
#38 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Icemael said:

What's a tankship?

#39 Posted by emem (1971 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Icemael said:

What's a tankship?

Hm yeah, weird.. I don't agree. The driving felt a bit weird sometimes, because of the camera angle, but other than that.. felt alright.

#40 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Looks very nice. Unfortunately I can't even run the vanilla game on max.

#41 Posted by buft (3321 posts) -

that honestly looks incredible, at first i was a little distracted because it seemed like the car was floating but after seeing it moving it looks pretty well put together

#42 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1721 posts) -

That is pretty impressive. If he/they can make that mod without killing the framerate of the game im all in.

#43 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

I reckon night stills would be almost photo perfect to the human eye. Reading the brief explanation, it also includes improved AI for NPCs, and I had a brief, wonderous dream about a Bethesda style RPG set in the GTA universe.

#44 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I'll just leave these here:-

Make sure to watch the vid on youtube in HD in fullscreen while you're wearing diapers.

#45 Posted by Agent47 (1901 posts) -
@BeachThunder: There are tons it's just when you walk up close and around them.
#46 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -
@MattyFTM

Do you work for speedtree?
#47 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@valentin_rad said:
Damn, I've seen this mod before but I still can't believe how nice that game looks. I played GTA 4 on the xbox(blurry textures, lots of aliasing, ugly shadows) and it wasn't anything like this, wow!!! So, if I already own the game on console is it ok to.. uhm... get it from "shady" sources just to try this mod? Anyways, my pc can barely handle Vice City with ENB series on so I'm not getting my hopes up.
It's $10 on Steam including Lost & Damned and Gay Tony. Pony up.
#48 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

My problem with all of these videos is nothing is going on. There is really no action to tax the framerate in any of these videos. People driving slowly doesn't impress me when it comes to GTA.

#49 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

I came in here ready to say "Hey man, video spam!" but that really looks incredible, thanks for posting it.

#50 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Surkov said:

My problem with all of these videos is nothing is going on. There is really no action to tax the framerate in any of these videos. People driving slowly doesn't impress me when it comes to GTA.

Look at the last video I posted. I think you missed that one, framerate seems fine. ENBSeries (and the iCE Enhancer mod which uses) certainly taxes framerate, but not to unplayable levels. GTA IV isn't exactly a new game and this mod targets high end machines.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.