Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gunpoint

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 03, 2013

A 2D stealth/puzzle game from PC Gamer UK writer Tom Francis. As a private detective hired by a woman accused of murder, the player infiltrates buildings by hacking or "crosslinking" electrical systems to bypass heavy security.

Gunpoint. Ugh.

Skamikaze1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skamikaze1983

After all the praise Gunpoint received throughout the "Game of the Year" festivities, I decided to give it a shot.

I don't get it. At all. The game is ok. It has some so-so humor and pokes a little fun at itself. I get the mechanics of the game and think it's "neat" at best.

Does it get really awesome towards the end of the campaign? I have like 3.5 hour or so on it and I'm wondering if I should trudge on. ABSOLUTELY NOT one of my top games of 2013.

Sort of feeling the same sentiment towards Brothers.

*Hides under a bed before being flamed for not liking Brothers*

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

There's no accounting for taste as one Brad Shoemaker would say.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@skamikaze1983: Some people like some games. Other people like other games.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy a game a lot of other people enjoyed.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

After hearing people talk about this game, i feel like i played a different one. I finished the game in about 90 mins and thought it was alright.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hatking

@skamikaze1983: I just finished Brothers, myself. Not to completely derail this. I did what I was told and played it all at once. Game is mad short, yo. But I don't think it clicked with me the way it did other folks. Like, I mean, I really enjoyed it. It's gorgeous as fuck and some of the scenes gave me feelings close to what I had back when I played Journey. But it didn't resonate quite as much. I mean, I wouldn't have said something like "this will probably be in my top ten at the end of the year" back when it came out.

BeyondStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BeyondStrange

I am really digging Gunpoint, but it just gets more and more well... Gunpoint. So, if you aren't all about Gunpoint in the time you have played, I doubt you will become pro-Gunpoint further on.

And I am not a big Brothers fan either... as well as Jeff, so not everyone is a connoisseur of the Brotherly arts.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

GUNPOINT IS THE DOPEST

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

3.5 hours?! You should be pretty close to the end. There are only around 20 missions.

If you don't like it from the start, you probably won't like it by the end. All it does it get more complicated.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I would rather have Gunpoint on a top 10 list than Brothers.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it never truly goes anywhere with the hacking puzzles. By the time you get all the upgrades and the game starts throwing somewhat interesting challenges at you, it just ends.

I still liked it a lot. It's a good game that could have been outstanding.

It's also pretty funny.
    It's also pretty funny.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By BeachThunder

It gets worse towards the end. I really felt let down by how much it funnels you down specific play styles. It seems like it's the kind of game that's open to letting you play how you want; ultimately, that ends up not being the case. If you want to play quietly, non-lethally, and be unseen, then you're shit out of luck :(

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the Bomb Crew didn't nearly like GTAV as much as I did. It's all a matter of opinions and likes/dislikes. Not everyone will agree.

Plus, usually after so many people have praised a game, be it Brothers or Gunpoint or what have you, there is bound to be "didn't live up to hype" factor.

Especially Brothers. After so much talk about that game and the emotional parts of it, it's hard for anyone late to the party to experience it the same. Games like that need to be played around release. GOTY hype often waters it down.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By crithon

I found gunpoint better then brothers. And no, you don't have to like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At 3.5 hours, you should already be done with the game.

Though if you don't enjoy it after that long, then I wouldn't bother playing it anymore. Or maybe you should play it, because you probably only have one or two more missions to go.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@beachthunder: My issue is more just that the Doorcrashers just break the entire game in half, because all of the best speed runs of each level on Youtube are just "some idiot runs through the whole thing in 15 seconds because kicking down doors is super OP".

I don't think it funnels you that badly, though. It's certainly not like Portal where there is only one sequence of events that works. The gadgets and rooms are flexible enough that you can do several different things, though I never found a lot of opportunities to use the Prankspasm.

The game is kind of like Mark of the Ninja, with way less polish but better, snarkier writing. The "rewiring circuits" thing is pretty much what sets the game apart as almost a puzzle game, but even then you're still basically playing a 2D stealth game and there isn't THAT much puzzley stuff in it. I enjoyed my time with it, but I'm kinda glad it was so short, because it wasn't this amazing experience that I wanted to last forever. I definitely played quite a few other indie games this year that are better than Gunpoint. So yeah, I agree that people are overstating how good Gunpoint is. It's a solid first effort for what's-his-face, but I won't be talking about it for years to come or anything.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Hunter5024

I played it for like an hour which was long enough for me to realize that whatever blew everybody else's skirt up wasn't gettin' me. Which is not to say it was bad, but I feel like some people are really connecting with the mechanics in that game in a way that I totally wasn't.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@bisonhero: Well, Portal was a straight-up-puzzle game, there's a certain level of tactics involved in Gunpoint.

For the most part, I want to play stealth games as stealthily as possible; Gunpoint allows pure stealth a lot of the time, but not all of the time, which felt really frustrating. It really felt like it didn't commit to its mechanics as much as it should have.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Oh oh.. I bought it out of hearing all the crazy hype during GOTY. I've become savvy to hearing members of the Bombcast praise a game with fervor, as I've noticed my taste tend to differ more often than not, but something about the way Jeff gets really excited about things is infectious. Well here's hoping I'll enjoy it, wasn't too expensive.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yo Brothers suuucks!

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By reisz

I don't know about you but it has the most fun writing of anything I've played this year. It's was wildly enjoyable from the first ten seconds. I'm not hot on Brothers at all.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunpoint was alright...not top 10 material, but it was kinda fun while it lasted. Doesn't get better towards the end, though.

Oh, and Brothers sucked a HUGE bag of dicks.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By superfriend

I played the demo and kinda liked it.. but it looked really tiny on my PC running in native resolution. It suggested some other res, but that looked all wrong too.

Dunno, I´m getting some strong GameMaker2000 vibes from that game. At least it doesn´t crash every five seconds like Hotline Miami did when they released it. Gunpoint kinda seems like a one trick pony from the demo. I would love it if it turned into a full fledged adventure game later on, but I guess that isn´t the case.

As to why everybody loves it so much: It was made by a former games press dude- and half the games press REALLY wants out of their jobs and start writing games/making games. Yeah, the writing/dialog is kinda clever.. but so where 80% of games from Lucas Arts back in the day.

Edit: I guess that guy is still with PC Gamer?

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I didn't like Brothers."

All is right with the world. Brothers isn't a good game.

"I didn't get Gunpoint."

Son, you came to the wrong neighborhood.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember Frog Fractions?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chop

That sucks.

Honestly, it's one of the best games I've played in a long time. Chalk that up to the fact that I absolutely adore noir or the fact that I've lost my taste for lengthy, difficult games... either way, I'm in love with it

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think once you've burned out on FPS, RTS, TBS, RPGs, and other meat and potato AAA games, you start to look for different things, and I think that's what happens to some people who review games as a job, they fall in love with slight quirkiness and novelty in design or story telling.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the game, however it was a bit too short and simple. I like the idea a lot and would love to see more levels. There is a level editor but I'm not sure how alive the community is. I found a site that had some levels last night but I was too tired to try any.

There are some pretty annoying bugs in the game, though. Mainly the resolution issue. It's mostly fixable by right clicking the .exe in your Steam directory, going to Properties>Compatibility>Disable display scaling on high DPI settings. Also, I had to reset levels more than once because I couldn't make a connection between two items that should have worked.

Overall, I liked it. Favorite moment: When your response options are "To Who?" and "To Whom?" The grammar Nazi in me smiled.

As for Brothers, I felt the same about it as I do with most of these super-hyped, pretty indie titles. Journey, Flower, Unfinished Swan, Brothers, etc. I like them the more I think about them later, but while playing them I'm usually fairly neutral. I'm cool with is being on the GOTY list but I wouldn't have put it there. Same with Dive Kick. Papers Please, I haven't played and I have no interest in. Looks boring as hell. Three biggest changes I'd have made to that list.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I gave Gunpoint a chance before the year ended, but it just didn't quite click with me for some reason. I understand why Gunpoint is getting praise, but it wasn't quite good enough to make my top 10 list. As for Brothers, it's short and controlling two people can get confusing, but I really liked it.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Had the same experience. Bought Gunpoint during the Steam sale because Jeff and especially Patrick were raving about it, can't quite see that's so amazing about it. The puzzles don't go deep enough, it's usually a matter of bypassing a door to hack into a different circuit to bypass another door to hack into another circuit. I'd have liked more puzzles like remotely activate this elevator to trigger a noise detector to trigger a light to activate a guard to walk through a metal detector to open a door.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Trilogy

@themasterds said:

I would rather have Gunpoint on a top 10 list than Brothers.

I would rather have Brothers on a top 10 list than Gunpoint.

Opinions!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Reporting back after having played it.

It's pretty fun. I don't know if it's Game of the Year fun, but considering that I had a hard time coming up with 10 good games I played this year for my list, much less GOTY material, I can see how it would have ended up on a list.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.