Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

Who wants half life 3?

• 75 results
    thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thenexus
    mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mac_n_nina

I've never really gotten into Half-Life. Maybe I'll buy Orange Box again some day and try it out. I've owned Orange Box 3 or 4 times and never once got into it. Never really tried.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

If that is legit then I will dig up Arthur C Clarke and stab his corpse.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august

Are you giving out copies because I'll take one.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I want Dota 3 first :3

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SSully

No thanks. But thanks for asking, I really appreciate it!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By The_Nubster

@mac_n_nina said:

I've never really gotten into Half-Life. Maybe I'll buy Orange Box again some day and try it out. I've owned Orange Box 3 or 4 times and never once got into it. Never really tried.

PC or console? I don't have any hard evidence, but I feel like Half-Life on console suffers, since you can't aim as quickly as the enemies are programmed to aim at you.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sumbog

Whats Half-Life?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By 71Ranchero

Let me know when a T-shirt pops up online that says "UT4" on it.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Played Half Life - Enjoyed It
    Played Half Life 2 - REALLY disliked it. 
    I think I might pass.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mac_n_nina

@The_Nubster said:

@mac_n_nina said:

PC or console? I don't have any hard evidence, but I feel like Half-Life on console suffers, since you can't aim as quickly as the enemies are programmed to aim at you.

Both. I own the games on PC/Mac because back in the day there was a steam deal for like 20 games for $70 and Half-Life series was part of the 20 games. I'd rather play it on consoles though since I'm not big into PC gaming anymore hence I use Macs.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@mac_n_nina: I bet HL3 comes out on mac, all their games do these days.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Nubster

@mac_n_nina said:

@The_Nubster said:

@mac_n_nina said:

Both. I own the games on PC/Mac because back in the day there was a steam deal for like 20 games for $70 and Half-Life series was part of the 20 games. I'd rather play it on consoles though since I'm not big into PC gaming anymore hence I use Macs.

Fair enough, then. I guess you're one of the few who have the luxury of not waiting on bated breath for another Half-Life game.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By krazy_kyle

I can't believe some of the comments. If you haven't heard of Half-Life, go play it, if you don't like it, please get off this site.

BTW yeah I do want Half-Life 3! :P

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nintendoeats

Oh, here is why this is fake:

A: The logo is wrong. Look to your left. My avatar has the lambda clearly placed in the large circle, with the number relegated to the small one. The only reason to switch them is that you are trying to draw attention to the 3ness.

B: That shirt is clearly newly printed AND way too small for the person wearing it. Why would you go out wearing a shirt that is so clearly uncomfortable?

C: Wow, it sure was easy to get a well lit photo of the shirt without anybody noticing!!!!

D: Valve is not run by idiots. They are not going to print off and hand out shirts for an unannounced game that is going to be a huge deal. Even if they did, no employee is going to wear them in public. Why? Because Valve's hiring policies would never allow such a person through the door. Every single employee is chosen based on a dedication to the Valve vision. There are no disgruntled employees to mess things up, because Valve has a 97% employee retention rate. That means that of the people that they have hired, at most 30 have left the company. They do not have a corporate culture that leads to resentment. There aren't even any interns to mess things up because...well.. Valve doesn't have interns. I know. I tried.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shookems

@Resident4t: How in the world could you dislike Half life 2? Seriously, you need to elaborate on this.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mac_n_nina

@MordeaniisChaos: @MordeaniisChaos said:

@mac_n_nina: I bet HL3 comes out on mac, all their games do these days.

I'd still rather play it on consoles. I've always preferred controller to mouse and keyboard. I have extremely small fingers so key spacing provides a challenge for me and I like sitting on the couch or laying while playing games. The only reason I used to be into PC gaming was because I always preferred better graphics over anything, but the further and further 360 and PS3 went in their life cycles the better and better the games became so even though PC has better graphics I wouldn't say it's a lot better like it was 5 years ago. I remember playing Oblivion on PC and 360 when it launched and PC just blew it out of the water.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By pyromagnestir

@The_Nubster: Default difficulty, it was fine.

I would love me some half life 3. One day... One day.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

Lots of people do, and Yes, Valved trolled everybody who really want's that game. 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By august

Could be their way of creating buzz for an announcement at the VGAs.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Humanity

Sure I'd play it although I've long passed the point of really caring much about it. I suppose they're waiting for new leaps in engines or something because it's been a long time since HL2.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Gabriel

At this point I would perfer HL3 become the next DNF.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

Nobody. Not because it's a not a game worth wanting, but mainly because nobody thinks it's possible. Does that make any sense?

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McBEEF

I want Half Life:Opposing force 2, but yeah Half Life 3 would also be awesome.

As long as they stop the constant antlion/combine encounters and weak feeling gun problems etc

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Eh, we'll see. :\

Right- brace yourselves for a bit of a lengthy post. >_>

I'm one of those few people who is not very eager for episode 3/HL 3 because of how HL 2 and episode 2 turned out. Its one of those games for which I don't quite understand how people ignore its main blatant fault:

The comatose combine soldier AI.

Seriously- the Combine soldiers are one of the most boring enemies I have ever had the displeasure to trudge through in gaming. Even Haze's (!) terrible AI was more entertaining.

I won't say HL 2 was bad though- it still had plenty of good moments because just about everything other than the combine soldiers were at least relatively entertaining to fight. (And of course- we must not forget the gravity gun. :P )

That said- I am also one of the few people who thought episode 1 was the best of the HL 2 entries- as the level design was so sharp, it did an amazing job glossing over the AI issues more often than not.

I was hoping episode 2 would be able to do the same thing Episode 1 did, or actually improve the Combine soldier AI. But once again, Valve just skirted around the crippling issue- keeping the combine soldiers utterly dull, while just about everything else around them got better. The level design was still fine- but it had gone in a new direction, and didn't hide the AI issues like Episode 1 did. As such, the latter half of episode 2 was pretty lackluster. :( (The hunter battles were its main saving grace- but those could only do so much.)

If Half-life 3 could recover from Half-life 2's bad AI though... I would be much more interested.

Hey- if Half-life 1 could have great AI, maybe Valve will make a turn around and let Half-life 3 reap the benefits of good AI as well. :P (Or we can hope >_> )

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By phrali

HL2 boring and alyx is annoying

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Valve made 2 franchises since HL 2 (L4D, Portal). I want HL 3, but at this point, I'm not sure they gonna make it.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shookems: Well if I am going to play an incredibly straightforward and simplistic FPS It needs to either be ridiculous and visceral ( Serious Sam and even then I can only play SS for half an hour a day or so before getting bored ) or have something else that draws me in whether it be story or through creative gameplay. Half Life 2 did not interest me in the story or gameplay department. The "puzzles" I found boring, the shooting I could not stand, and the story did not interest me in the least. (Also all the goddamned gravity gun sections annoyed me to no end)
    Keep in mind that I played Half Life 2 around 2010, I understand that it was great for its time but personally the only interesting thing I found in Half Life 2 was the interaction between Alyx and Dog. 

I played the first Half Life years before that, when a heavily scripted and story heavy FPS was still fresh and new to me ( System Shock 2 being the only other) so that would explain why I enjoyed it so much. 
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Ravenlight

I can't find a link to the relevant interview, but Gabe has stated that the HL2 Episodes are technically Half-Life 3 and that they made a mistake with the HL2: Episode X naming convention.

To the people who didn't like HL2, what turned you off from the game?

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka: Was the admittedly bare-bones AI enough to ruin the experience for you or did you manage to enjoy the story despite the game's technical shortcomings?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By MikkaQ

I kinda don't care anymore.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rockanomics

I'd consider myself a pretty huge fan of the Half Life series and I've pretty much forgotten about them it's been so long.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By august

@Ravenlight said:

I can't find a link to the relevant interview, but Gabe has stated that the HL2 Episodes are technically Half-Life 3 and that they made a mistake with the HL2: Episode X naming convention.

He said that one time way back before Ep 1 came out. I doubt he does anymore. Even if he did most other people wouldn't seeing as how little new enemies and weapons were produced for the episodes.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By plaintomato

It's only the greatest single player FPS franchise ever, don't know why anyone would want more. Portal and Portal 2 are the only reasons I don't hate Valve for neglecting Half-Life. I'd even like to see the original re-released on the updated engine.

The ambiance, atmosphere and environmental situations have always been the compelling thing about the Half-Life series for me. I can understand why the COD/ADHD generation wouldn't have so much interest, after all, a new Mario release doesn't exactly stoke my fires; but that doesn't mean I don't recognize Mario as greatness, and the Half-Life series is indisputably awesome - I, for one, want more, and more often.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bybeach

I sure do, and if I remember right, there are unforseen consquences and unfinished business to be dealt with. Though sadly (it did affect me) some of the consquences may have already played out.

So there is validity for the next Halflife if the arguement of 'is it neccessary or needed?' to be brought up.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zaglis
    @Rockanomics said:

I'd consider myself a pretty huge fan of the Half Life series and I've pretty much forgotten about them it's been so long.

I am kinda worried at this point that it doesn't turn into another CS:GO - a game that looks like it was made in 3 months. Modders from FPSbanana could have done a better job in that time period.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Th3_James

Yes I want it, but I am willing to wait until Valve is ready. I have a massive backlog of games I still want to play, and CS:GO will keep me busy for awhile.

I've been playing Counter Strike at least once every week or two since 99'. I play a lot of games, but still keep going back to CS after all these years.

I just want Valve to debut a new engine with Half Life 3, I can wait a few years.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mac_n_nina

I remember when HL2 came out Valve said that instead of releasing HL3 they'd be making episodes for HL2 and that they had about a dozen of them and they'd come out within months of each other and the game release. Well it took them a bout a year for each episode and I think by now most people have forgotten about HL, but if they have a big announcement and good marketing it could well be the next blockbuster game.

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thenexus

@nintendoeats said:

Oh, here is why this is fake:

A: The logo is wrong. Look to your left. My avatar has the lambda clearly placed in the large circle, with the number relegated to the small one. The only reason to switch them is that you are trying to draw attention to the 3ness.

B: That shirt is clearly newly printed AND way too small for the person wearing it. Why would you go out wearing a shirt that is so clearly uncomfortable?

C: Wow, it sure was easy to get a well lit photo of the shirt without anybody noticing!!!!

D: Valve is not run by idiots. They are not going to print off and hand out shirts for an unannounced game that is going to be a huge deal. Even if they did, no employee is going to wear them in public. Why? Because Valve's hiring policies would never allow such a person through the door. Every single employee is chosen based on a dedication to the Valve vision. There are no disgruntled employees to mess things up, because Valve has a 97% employee retention rate. That means that of the people that they have hired, at most 30 have left the company. They do not have a corporate culture that leads to resentment. There aren't even any interns to mess things up because...well.. Valve doesn't have interns. I know. I tried.

I am a rugby player and large t-shirts look like that and extra large look gay.

Extra large are for generally larger people and baggy around the waist. As a rugby player I am slimmer waist, and broad shoulders, neck and arms and chest. People who go gym and do a lot of the weights will be the same. Shirts look like that when you wear them. (And girls oggle you too)

No Caption Provided

Who knows, posted it because it will generate discussion. Could be real could be fake. logo's change as well. See lots of "fake" calls on this forum, other forums and youtube for new game stuff and other tech stuff many times over and more often then not now they turn out to be true.

In saying that we have seen several half life 3 logo's floating around already like the one on the left. (Which is a fake)

But if you did want to make an impact on the fact that the game is number 3 and not episode 3 your marketing may make a more of a statement of 3.

The episodes did not work and Episode 3 was rumoured to be in the cards after two. If you were going to do a whole new game you would really need to make a marketing campaign to make it clear that it is a whole new game and not that Episode 3 everyone has been talking about for ages.

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thenexus

Interesting how no one really cares about half life any more. I think it must have been the bad job they did on the characters and the story etc and so looking back you do not really care about them. Not like picking up where Master Chief left off and find out what is going on with him again.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By medacris

I want to see that universe again in whatever way Valve wants to present it to us, but not until they're ready. They've been really busy with other franchises, and they made it really clear that they don't intend to rush anything because rushing work usually makes it crap. After how long people have been waiting for Episode 3 or HL3 or whatever it's going to be, they know if they screw it up, the results will be catastrophic. Especially since people treat Valve like Pixar- they're so well-known for quality that anything but Grade-A material is failure to some of their fans.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By coryrx8

Half-Life - enjoyed it until I reached the Xen levels. Really disliked those.

Half-Life 2 - disliked the entire game.

So, no, I'll pass. I'd take another Portal or Left 4 Dead instead, or even better, how about an original IP?

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By soldierg654342

@thenexus said:

Interesting how no one really cares about half life any more. I think it must have been the bad job they did on the characters and the story etc and so looking back you do not really care about them.

It's not that (though one could certainly make that argument). It's that they took too fucking long.

I'm not the hugest Half-Life fan, but I enjoyed the games. I'm not going to beg though. There are other games out there to play. At this point, Half-Life is the Valve ip I care the least about.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By tourgen

I like most of the characters and parts of the setting, so sure I'm interested.  I didn't like Episode 1 or 2 though.  Parts of the game were just annoying to play rather than fun.  HL2 was great.  Even the zombie town bit.  I'd like to see some stuff on the other side, not on Earth.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#44  Edited By Brackynews

Gabe Newell...

Under a bridge...

With like sixty knives...

And yes, I want it.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By shiftymagician

Yes I do want another game featuring the G-Man.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RE_Player1

It's gotten to the point where no matter what they release it will not live up to the hype.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hoossy

what's wrong with you people? If this is legit, then I am stoked!

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bananaz

I loved HL1, HL2 was kinda slow-paced and got boring in parts. The episodes were pretty boss and fixed the long stretches that felt empty to me. The next Half Life needs to be superlative or it will be buried under the cavalcade of shooters that drops every year. It's gotta be like episode 2, but better, and bigger. A tall order.

Part of what made HL2 such a sensation was that it was a leap ahead and shocked the world with its atmosphere, graphics, and first-person-immersion storytelling. The next Half Life may have to shock us again.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

yes

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dtat

This is crazy! If they can just have a dude wearing a shirt with the game on it and it sets the internet on fire, don't they think there's enough hype already? Seriously, if they finally do make Half Life 3, it's going to sell gangbusters. They should probably go ahead and announce it at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.