Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Shops breaking street date

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpacePenguin

I know the shop im goin to is, when I went in to reserve my copy they told me I could pick it up on saturday. 

Do you guys think alot of shops are going to break the street date for this?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SpacePenguin said:

" I know the shop im goin to is, when I went in to reserve my copy they told me I could pick it up on saturday.   Do you guys think alot of shops are going to break the street date for this? "

Supposedly they all ready have. Breaking street date is nothing new at all.  

If you wanna have some fun. Get your game. Then report them to MS.  

Might wanna be careful. MS smacked a few people who pirated the game and where playing early. 
    SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpacePenguin
    @The_Laughing_Man:  But MS cant do anything to anyone if they actualy bought it, can they?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @SpacePenguin said:

" I know the shop im goin to is, when I went in to reserve my copy they told me I could pick it up on saturday.   Do you guys think alot of shops are going to break the street date for this? "

Supposedly they all ready have. Breaking street date is nothing new at all.   If you wanna have some fun. Get your game. Then report them to MS.   Might wanna be careful. MS smacked a few people who pirated the game and where playing early.  "
    Great way to get them pirates, but I feel bad for the people that bought the game and don't know any better.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch13696
    @SpacePenguin said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  But MS cant do anything to anyone if they actualy bought it, can they? "
    They've done it before. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SpacePenguin said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  But MS cant do anything to anyone if they actualy bought it, can they? "
    These are the people who are raising live 10 bucks for a year. Who knows what they will do. Might wanna be careful. Cause they came out and out right side " we banned these people for having the game early" 
    Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Helushune
    @SpacePenguin said:

They've banned people in the past who bought games "legitimately" (technically it's not because you're knowingly buying it before its release date) for playing early.  Just don't play it until it actually comes out.

EDIT: Breaking street dates is foolish anyway.  It doesn't help anyone and actually hurts consumers.
    SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpacePenguin
    @The_Laughing_Man: Wow ... people arnt doing anything wrong if they legally bought it.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bionicicide

Please post sources of Microsoft banning people who bought and played the game before release. I call bullshit on that.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SpacePenguin said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Wow ... people arnt doing anything wrong if they legally bought it. "
    Its sort of the same idea as getting stolen property. You are part of the "crime" 
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch13696
    @Helushune said:
    " @SpacePenguin:@SpacePenguin said:

They've banned people in the past who bought games "legitimately" (technically it's not because you're knowingly buying it before its release date) for playing early.  Just don't play it until it actually comes out.  EDIT: Breaking street dates is foolish anyway.  It doesn't help anyone and actually hurts consumers. "
    Are we talking about account bans or is this console bans? If it's a console ban then that's really fucked up. Literally keeping your console from playing online because you bought a game early is not the right way to go.
    jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By jimmy5150
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @SpacePenguin said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Wow ... people arnt doing anything wrong if they legally bought it. "
    Its sort of the same idea as getting stolen property. You are part of the "crime"  "
    not really....you still legitimately paid for it.  Stepto (director of enforcement at Xbox Live) has gone on record several times saying that only the stores themselves are at fault for breaking street date.  People only get banned if they download the game to play on their modded xbox or play the game without spending any money.  So, if you manage to score a game early, play it and have fun, but dont be surprised if you see a completely different staff the next time you go to that gamestop!
    Avatar image for chris_stranges@
    chris_stranges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chris_stranges
    @SpacePenguin said:
    I guess just don't play it online until Tuesday?
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By mazik765
    @Bionicicide said:
    " Please post sources of Microsoft banning people who bought and played the game before release. I call bullshit on that. "
    This. I know when Halo 3 was released a few stores broke street date by a week and they let the people play without any fuss. Now the stores on the other hand I think experienced some legal troubles....
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Ryax
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @SpacePenguin said:
    Its sort of the same idea as getting stolen property. You are part of the "crime"  "
    yep. an accessory. but like laughing man said. get the game. then report the store. then play when its the release day. i think it would be funny/
    Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Junkerman

Just play offline until the street date.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Helushune
    @Bionicicide said:
    " Please post sources of Microsoft banning people who bought and played the game before release. I call bullshit on that. "
    They purge the account suspension forums every few months but I saw it for Halo3: ODST, Forza 3, Modern Warefare 2, etc.  Provided, not everyone is caught but that's no excuse to do it.
    jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jimmy5150
    @mazik765 said:
    " @Bionicicide said:
    This. I know when Halo 3 was released a few stores broke street date by a week and they let the people play without any fuss. Now the stores on the other hand I think experienced some legal troubles.... "
    This man speaks the truth.  When I was a gamestop employee, one of the other stores in our district broke Bioshock's street date, and everybody who sold a copy of Bioshock early was fired.  However, microsoft has no reason to ban you for something that a retailer does wrong.  I guarantee that all of the suspensions you have seen related to prerelease play are people who have torrented a game that leaks to the internet.
    Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Callumrides

so just a quick question my halo reach just arrived today in the mail , do you guys reckon its safe to play online or should i just stay unconnect  live till it comes out thanks

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It seems a bit stupid that shops would break street date when Microsoft are banning those who play the game before the launch date. I think a few retailers may have dropped the ball on this one and not known it.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By borodin

I'm not trying to get anyone into trouble but in the past when this situation has happened, MS have gone out of their way to say that if you bought the game legitimately before the street date, you won't get banned - just because *we* know that Reach's release date isn't till next week it doesn't mean Joe and Mrs. Average do, you can't ban someone for buying a game and playing it.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hitchenson

What's all this bullshit about getting banned if you're online with a legitimate copy? 

Straight from Bungie:   

" Some of you are playing Halo: Reach a little bit early. It happens. With millions of copies out of manufacturing quickly making their way into the massive global retail chain, it’s not terribly uncommon for a few discs to “accidentally” slip into a few lucky customers’ hands.   Que sera .

If you count yourself among that lucky few, there are a handful of things you need to be aware of that will likely impact your pre-launch Halo: Reach experience. First, you’re playing in what we consider a test environment. Several key services are disabled, or in various states of fluctuating functionality, and core elements of the game, including big ticket items like matchmaking, credit acquisition, and the daily challenge system are all running at less than optimal levels.

In addition, any Credits you earn during this slim pre-Launch window are going to be summarily and systematically reset prior to launch. Don’t get too attached to any fancy new gear you might have already acquired. Consider any expenditures or investments you’ve made in the Armory the cost of doing business early. It’s nothing personal; we just want to make sure the playing field is kept nice and level upon launch. It's only fair."

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HereAllDay

Just don't go online with the game till the 14th and you should be good.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Yanngc33
    @SpacePenguin:
    dont worry buddy im with you just play the game without live on that's what ive been doing for a day now. I hate the Microsoft can ban us. I think we're doing them a favor by playing their game in advance. How many of your friends are you gonna tell that you've been playing reach early and its totally bad ass ? Thats right, most of them ! we're spreading word of mouth for Microsoft, we're marketing the game to our friends. As long as you the buyer the halo fan has paid for it, you should be allowed to play the thing
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Sitoxity

The place I'd ordered online have dispatched some copies, but I think that's just to ensure it'll arrive by Tuesday here in the UK. If it comes a couple days early, all the best. Microsoft won't ban anyone playing Reach with a legal copy, even if a shop broke street date, so there's nothing to worry about. This same thing happened with ODST, they can't ban you for legally buying their game.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

Microsoft aren't banning people who received a legitimate copy and playing it early. They're banning jtagged 360's stupid enough to try and play it online. 

The only 'punishment' that's happening is that there will be a day one Credit Reset, so any armour permutations you unlocked during your early play are taken back from you, and your rank is set to zero, to level the playing field. 

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_090310 - Read the section of the latest bungie.net weekly updated entitled 'Steel Yourself':  

'If you count yourself among that lucky few, there are a handful of things you need to be aware of that will likely impact your pre-launch Halo: Reach experience. First, you’re playing in what we consider a test environment. Several key services are disabled, or in various states of fluctuating functionality, and core elements of the game, including big ticket items like matchmaking, credit acquisition, and the daily challenge system are all running at less than optimal levels.

In addition, any Credits you earn during this slim pre-Launch window are going to be summarily and systematically reset prior to launch. Don’t get too attached to any fancy new gear you might have already acquired. Consider any expenditures or investments you’ve made in the Armory the cost of doing business early. It’s nothing personal; we just want to make sure the playing field is kept nice and level upon launch.'

Edit: Ah, beaten to it! Thanks @Hitchenson

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RobbieMac
    @Callumrides:  If you are worried it is better to be safe than sorry.

Also the place I go to never break street date.  The guy who runs it is a huge tight ass about release dates.
    flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By flufflogic

A ton of UK stores have done so. 

Things is, with credits getting reset on the eve of release, why do it? It'll lose you the ones you earned finishing Campaign even!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It comes out on the 12th, right? I ordered it with Free Super Saver Shipping on Amazon, because I'm not in that much of a hurry. Hopefully I'll get it by next Friday.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jkz

Any idea what stores are breaking the street-dates (major chains?). I'm just sitting at home this weekend (a bit sick), so if I could pick it up it'd be nice.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrKlorox

fuck man... I hate halo but LOVE getting early releases. What the fuck is wrong with me? I'm tempted to go to my local shops and see if they have it.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Helushune

@Hitchenson said:

"What's all this bullshit about getting banned if you're online with a legitimate copy? 

Straight from Bungie:   

" Some of you are playing Halo: Reach a little bit early. It happens. With millions of copies out of manufacturing quickly making their way into the massive global retail chain, it’s not terribly uncommon for a few discs to “accidentally” slip into a few lucky customers’ hands.   Que sera . If you count yourself among that lucky few, there are a handful of things you need to be aware of that will likely impact your pre-launch Halo: Reach experience. First, you’re playing in what we consider a test environment. Several key services are disabled, or in various states of fluctuating functionality, and core elements of the game, including big ticket items like matchmaking, credit acquisition, and the daily challenge system are all running at less than optimal levels. In addition, any Credits you earn during this slim pre-Launch window are going to be summarily and systematically reset prior to launch. Don’t get too attached to any fancy new gear you might have already acquired. Consider any expenditures or investments you’ve made in the Armory the cost of doing business early. It’s nothing personal; we just want to make sure the playing field is kept nice and level upon launch. It's only fair." "

Xbox LIVE is not Bungie's service, it's Microsoft's.  Just because Bungie says it's OK doesn't mean Microsoft will be as lenient.
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fattony12000

You will NOT be banned for BUYING and playing any X360 game online, except by mistake (which MS can, of course, make). They know if you have a legitimate or ripped copy (unless you're fully up to date on your stealthing, even then, they will probably get you at some point) in your drive. I have played nearly every big release on the X360 for the past couple of years AT LEAST a day before the proper date, GoW 2 was five days in fact, and never had a problem. 

Unless, as I say, they make a mistake. 

But it's never happened with any of my 25 or so release-date-broken games.

JackColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JackColt

Bungie has already said there will be no repercussions against those who obtained the game early through legitimate means, including shops breaking street date. Buying a game from store is not the same as pirating a copy (obviously) and they can tell the difference between which version you are playing.  The only "negative" to buying early: They will be wiping ALL stats on Monday night before the actual release, so any online play will not count towards your rank or unlocks.  

They could not start banning people for playing retail early. The average consumer is not responsible for knowing whether or not a game has officially released. That is the job of the retailer. If someone walks into a store, and something is for sale there, and they buy that something with no reasonable means to know whether or not that something should be on sale or not yet, it is the fault of the retailer, and reprisals against the consumer would be pointless.  

If you find a store that is breaking the street date, good for you and have fun! I will be patiently waiting for Monday night. 

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fattony12000
    @TheGreatGuero said:

" It comes out on the 12th, right? I ordered it with Free Super Saver Shipping on Amazon, because I'm not in that much of a hurry. Hopefully I'll get it by next Friday. "

14th of September 2010 

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/h/haloreach/
    twstd4lfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By twstd4lfe

It happens all the time in major cities with Mom & Pop chains....not to mention that Gamestop employees have been playing games early for YEARS....things were better back in the day when if you got it you sold it...not this distribution system crap tied with marketing that prevents games from selling early

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By Renahzor
    @Helushune said:
    "

@Hitchenson said:

"What's all this bullshit about getting banned if you're online with a legitimate copy? 

Straight from Bungie:   

" Some of you are playing Halo: Reach a little bit early. It happens. With millions of copies out of manufacturing quickly making their way into the massive global retail chain, it’s not terribly uncommon for a few discs to “accidentally” slip into a few lucky customers’ hands.   Que sera . If you count yourself among that lucky few, there are a handful of things you need to be aware of that will likely impact your pre-launch Halo: Reach experience. First, you’re playing in what we consider a test environment. Several key services are disabled, or in various states of fluctuating functionality, and core elements of the game, including big ticket items like matchmaking, credit acquisition, and the daily challenge system are all running at less than optimal levels. In addition, any Credits you earn during this slim pre-Launch window are going to be summarily and systematically reset prior to launch. Don’t get too attached to any fancy new gear you might have already acquired. Consider any expenditures or investments you’ve made in the Armory the cost of doing business early. It’s nothing personal; we just want to make sure the playing field is kept nice and level upon launch. It's only fair." "

Xbox LIVE is not Bungie's service, it's Microsoft's.  Just because Bungie says it's OK doesn't mean Microsoft will be as lenient. "

At this close to release, you're pretty unlikely to get a console ban for playing.  As Bungie points out, they're well aware people get the game 'early', an so is MS.  If you got a ban for playing a full purchased game on a legit system you could appeal it and have the ban lifted, although it depends how many hoops you wanna go through including producing receipts etc...  MS wouldn't want the bad publicity from banning legit consoles for playing an actual retail pressed copy of a game.  Im certain the vast majority of bans are for pirate activity, and a good number of those will play stupid and clog the system for people who may have gotten a real, honest mistaken ban for playing a retail copy early.  

Super safe mode:  Dont play it till Tuesday.  Up to each person to decide the risk, for those who got it early. 
    SimbaDoozle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By SimbaDoozle

Yeah, supposedly a lot of shops over here in the UK have broken street date. I've heard Amazon have shipped some early as well.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Damien
    @Renahzor said:
    " @Helushune said:
    "

@Hitchenson said:

Straight from Bungie:   

Xbox LIVE is not Bungie's service, it's Microsoft's.  Just because Bungie says it's OK doesn't mean Microsoft will be as lenient. "
     At this close to release, you're pretty unlikely to get a console ban for playing.  As Bungie points out, they're well aware people get the game 'early', an so is MS.  If you got a ban for playing a full purchased game on a legit system you could appeal it and have the ban lifted, although it depends how many hoops you wanna go through including producing receipts etc...  MS wouldn't want the bad publicity from banning legit consoles for playing an actual retail pressed copy of a game.  Im certain the vast majority of bans are for pirate activity, and a good number of those will play stupid and clog the system for people who may have gotten a real, honest mistaken ban for playing a retail copy early.    

Super safe mode:  Dont play it till Tuesday.  Up to each person to decide the risk, for those who got it early.  "
    This is right.
    flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By flufflogic

Let's just say if you preordered with Zavvi in the UK, you're not reading this, you're playing.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @flufflogic said:
    " Let's just say if you preordered with Zavvi in the UK, you're not reading this, you're playing. "
    Which is surprising, because they're usually horrible with deliveries!
    It took them over a month just to process my order for Monster Hunter Freedom 2.
    thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By thespartandon

I thought Zavvi was one of the unlucky stores to get shut down during the recession? 

Play.com sent out my Reach on Thursday, so here's hoping to getting it on Monday :D :P

ry0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By ry0wn

I've bought a bunch of games before release, and Ive never got in trouble for doing so. I remember last year when Modern Warfare 2 came out, the only thing anybody worried about was Infinity Ward resetting the leaderboards upon release.

For everybody who's saying to not play it online until the game comes out, I hope you mean not being connected to the internet, because even if you're playing something alone like campaign, they still know you're on. The only way for them not to know is to not be connected to Live.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mighty

Just have to play the campaign and set yourself as offline or something

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.