Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

So I err.. finished it already.. My thoughts - Some spoiler

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mattjam3000

First off, I am a huge Halo fan. I have been looking forward to this for a long time. My copy came on the 13th, a day before launch. I played through the SP, and it was great, but not Halo great to me. I finished, and I was happy I finished. Any more FPS Halo and I do not think I could take it. There where a few annoying, bugs, mainly my teamates getting stuck and not teleporting to me for a good long bit. There where a few level design issues I found making it very hard for myself to complete the objective. In these situations I found myself jumping around behind, sprinting past the enemies, completeing the objective and causing a cutscene.  Make no mistake, I loved this. This sure was some Halo ass Halo! 

The ending was not as good as I expected. In Halo 3, the craaazzzy, frantic warthog escape was one of my favourite endings to a game. This game seemed a bit less intense. I very much enjoy the endings addition to the lore however.

Before I get flamed, I love Halo, I read the books two or three times a year and always find something interesting. The reach lore is my favourite. 

Just a bit bummed I already finished it before its released really, no one but myself to blame!
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Alex_V

Not good enough. Read the books again :).

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mattjam3000

Should really have said - So what about you few who have finished it. Did you find it had a few issues. Did you find you did not get that same Halo Buzz from the game/ending?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

Just blasted through the prequel novel before I played the game.  Can anyone tell me if I will spot anything in the game relating to the book?  No spoilers if you can, just tell me you can't say anything about it if avoiding spoilers is impossible.
    mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattjam3000
    @Brendan said:

" Just blasted through the prequel novel before I played the game.  Can anyone tell me if I will spot anything in the game relating to the book?  No spoilers if you can, just tell me you can't say anything about it if avoiding spoilers is impossible. "

Not hugely. The fall of reach is more about their upbringing. There is a lot more halo reach lore in the book "first strike" funnily enough. VERY LITTLE correlates to the game

Edit: Knowing more about Hasley from the books is good, the game does not depict here well
    mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mattjam3000
    @Alex_V said:
    " Not good enough. Read the books again :). "
    Just saw this haha. I read them rather a lot, mild form of OCD maybe!
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By borodin
    @mattjam3000: I really, really dug the ending (the bit after the credits especially) and it was kind of awesome how it dovetailed into the beginning of the first game. As for the game in general I'd agree that there was quite a lot of stuff that annoyed me as I was playing through it, but yeah overall I liked it well enough.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By InfiniteGeass

What difficulty was it on? Because Heoric or Legendary are the only right ways to play through it.

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mattjam3000
    @borodin said:
    " @mattjam3000: I really, really dug the ending (the bit after the credits especially) and it was kind of awesome how it dovetailed into the beginning of the first game. As for the game in general I'd agree that there was quite a lot of stuff that annoyed me as I was playing through it, but yeah overall I liked it well enough. "
    Absolutely, the game was fantastic I will never deny that, the after credits was a real nice touch I must agree. I just didnt get that end of Halo game adrenaline rush you know. Halo: CE had that maaaad hog rush, halo 3 had that even madder hog rush. I actually cant remember 2 for some reason right now. 

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mattjam3000
    @InfiniteGeass said:
    " What difficulty was it on? Because Heoric or Legendary are the only right ways to play through it. "
    I was on heroic as per Jeffs advice
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By borodin
    @mattjam3000: I can relate, I don't think I was especially jacked up during the ending either but maybe that was by design, the tone is obviously a lot different to 3's ending - little more melancholy. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think the Spartan AI seems a little weak still. I understand how your team would be overpowered with a bunch of suped-up Spartans, but still. The part you mentioned with the turrets and such, just a lot of legwork for one player.  

Also, during the space battle, there was one point where the Orbital Defense system was absolutely laying into one of the Phantoms. Seriously all the Orbital Defense system's guns were landing hundreds of shots on the Phantom, but it wasn't until I swooped around and attacked it that it actually blew up. Sort of goofy.  

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mattjam3000

Im going to hit up another issue I had with the ending, so stop now if you still havent got the spoiler idea. The MAC gun at the end was all wrong. The MAC gun is a huge, primary ship weapon that fires one huge shell, and takes a long long time to recharge. Reach did have better MAC guns, but they where orbital, there are no MAC guns acting like anti air guns on the ground but oh well they have to make the game fun I suppose! I also agree that it had a  almost darker tone and maybe didnt need that jacked up ending that the other games have. I just like a huge WOW kick at the end of my Halo Games. I finish the game and go HOLEY SHIT. I did not get that and that is why im slightly dis-satisied.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By jack_daniels

Read the books backwards to be a true halo fan. Halo mysteries will reveal themselves to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jack_Daniels: Backwards how? Aren't some of the more recent books about earlier events? 

@mattjam3000: I definitely know what you mean. MAC rounds were, in the books, the UNSC answer to the Covenant superweapons--that shit should be devastating--but I'm sure there's some loophole in the fiction that considers the anti-air MAC Cannon some lesser grade weapon or something.  

Also, on the note of MAC guns, I disliked how Jorge makes a big deal about the one UNSC Frigate firing its MAC Cannon in-atmosphere, but it ends up not being a big deal at all. I was expecting something ridiculous, kind of like Regret's slipstream escape in Halo 2. 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By AndrewB

I haven't played the game, but I have seen major bits of it including the ending, and I have to say that the ending to Reach gave me a "wow" moment so strong it made me want to buy the game when I've had little to no interest in it otherwise. While the actual final "boss" isn't anything spectacular, it's what happens after the credits that had a big emotional impact (on me, at least). Been dying to talk about it ever since, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone since most people either don't have the game yet or are just picking it up now. 

Bungie's sendoff words also made me tear up. I'm not some die-hard Halo fan by any means, but I still recognize it's the end of an era.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel
    @AndrewB said:
    " I haven't played the game, but I have seen major bits of it including the ending, and I have to say that the ending to Reach gave me a "wow" moment so strong it made me want to buy the game when I've had little to no interest in it otherwise. While the actual final "boss" isn't anything spectacular, it's what happens after the credits that had a big emotional impact (on me, at least). "
    I didn't play the game, but to my understanding, wasn't the final boss of Halo 3 less than spectacular, as well?  I recall the Zero Punctuation review referring to him as something along the lines of a wheelchair-bound, near-sighted hobbit with a Nerf gun while you're practically armed with the BFG 9000.  (But then again, Yahtzee is fond of hyperbole, so hey.)
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AndrewB
    @Hailinel: I don't even remember what the last boss of Halo 3 was; that's how much I cared about that game. Not that I actively hated it or anything, but I finished it an put it away in the collection without much thought. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @AndrewB said:
    " @Hailinel: I don't even remember what the last boss of Halo 3 was; that's how much I cared about that game. Not that I actively hated it or anything, but I finished it an put it away in the collection without much thought.  "
    To my understanding, the boss was 343 Guilty Spark.  (Is that seriously his name?)
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Red

What's with everyone talking about playing the game? Doesn't it come out tomorrow?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @Red said:
    " What's with everyone talking about playing the game? Doesn't it come out tomorrow? "
    Copies of the game were shipped to retailers well in advance of the official release date.  Some retailers either already shipped the game out to customers that preordered or broke the official street date and started selling copies early.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AndrewB
    @Hailinel: Yeah, I youtube'd it because it was gnawing away at me. And yeah, it's Guilty Spark. I remembered the battle, but it does seem so anti-climactic that I didn't remember it being the last fight. 

343 Industries also being the company formed from Halo veterans staying with the franchise after Bungie is off on their next project (which would be right now). 

Anyway, I definitely thought Reach's ending was the most impactful of the series since numero uno. They definitely had a better story to work off of overall. The whole knowing how things were going to end from the start angle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB: Definitely. 

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mattjam3000
    @Red said:
    " What's with everyone talking about playing the game? Doesn't it come out tomorrow? "
    You obviously didnt read the first post
    Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Sander

I thought the intro to the Covenant was really disappointing. I mean, a little skirmish for some unimportant settlement? I was hoping first contact between Human and Covenant would be epic and unforgettable. And so I learn that this is not the first contact, it was just a planet we lost...geez there are thousands of planets. 

But somewhere in there, maybe 2/3 of the way thru, I really felt akin to the setting and could well imagine that one day far into the future, humanity would be fighting for its survival against an alien race in an interstellar war.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By CenturionCajun

If you're unfamiliar with the lore by the time of the Fall of Reach (2552) the Humans and Covenant had been slugging it out for twenty-seven years. Reach was the final major Human colony outside of Earth. Almost all of the others had been "glassed" from orbit. So, the appearance of a Covenant strike force wouldn't be horribly shocking to anyone. There was at least an entire generation of Humans who had grown up with the Covenant assaulting Humanity and Humanity resoundingly losing. The real shock was supposed to be the recon mission where you and Jun discover that this isn't a Covenant raid but a full blown planetary invasion. The UNSC knew the Covenant was going to come eventually as shown by them having the "Winter Contingency" available for just that occurrence. This is definitely the low low point of Humanity because the Covenant are pouring across Human controlled space destroying everything in their path with impunity. 

So, I think Bungie did a great job capturing that hopeless feeling that no matter how many Covenant troops, ships, and supplies are destroyed we are going to lose and everyone is going to die. It also feels much more pure because this is a game that's just about straight up military conflict. No Flood, no Forerunner mysticism, no Prophets spouting religious propoganda. This is Covenant and Human troops messing one another up on a planetary scale.

Also, if you now go back and play the Halo games in their chronological order (Halo Wars, Halo Reach, Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo 3) you'll get that "trilogy" feeling of initial conflict, middle point hopelessness, and rise to eventually victory against all odds.

It also just helps to point out how incredible Master Chief is that he was able to almost single-handedly bring the Covenant to its knees.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CenturionCajun:  Just imagine the kick-assery had Noble Six survived to help the Chief. I mean, fuck. The humans would've won this shit handily.
    edge426

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By edge426

man i thought i as one of the few to finish the game today

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By babblinmule

Ive read all the books and had a few... issues with the story. Things like how Halsey knew about the spartan III's, the non-existant massive space battle above and how noble 6 managed to survive falling back to reach from space with mark V armour and no parachute!

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By borodin
    @babblinmule: Actually, I'm pretty sure in one of the custscenes in space you see on 6's back that he's wearing some kind of small pack with "Rentry kit/pack" or something like that written on it. Obviously you don't see how the hell this works but they at least nod to *something* being there to help him get back on the ground.
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.